BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no reason to believe that the police would kick down my door and come in my house uninvited.  I don't do drugs, don't deal drugs, and avoid other illegal activity.  So if someone kicks in my door my assumption will be that they are criminals intent on harming my family and I will respond accordingly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

I have no reason to believe that the police would kick down my door and come in my house uninvited.  I don't do drugs, don't deal drugs, and avoid other illegal activity.  So if someone kicks in my door my assumption will be that they are criminals intent on harming my family and I will respond accordingly.

Agree.  In addition, fortify your doors to make it difficult for bad guys to kick in.

Perhaps have a lockable storm door that has to be penetrated first giving you time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I guessed it was Houston before I opened....   Shit is getting worse and worse here...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I found this kinda useful.  Nothing is fool proof but it brings up some interesting points.

https://www.concealedcarrymagazine.com/tactics-and-training/how-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-a-police-raid-and-a-home-invasion/
View Quote

That's a good article.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here.  The odds of a home invasion are low, the odds of a wrong address police raid are even lower.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Same here.  The odds of a home invasion are low, the odds of a wrong address police raid are even lower.  

It's not the odds.  It's the stakes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought from the thread about the pastor that was shot by the undercover cops all that was required for a cop to be legally identified was a badge somewhere that's almost visible and yelling "police".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

How about apply some common sense and not believe the guys in "black hoodies and white bandannas".

I thought from the thread about the pastor that was shot by the undercover cops all that was required for a cop to be legally identified was a badge somewhere that's almost visible and yelling "police".

It is. But I would change "almost visible" to "readily visible"  

And those guys were not wearing Hoodies and bandanas.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Keep thinking that. Police fuck up no knock raids every week in america. If you shoot a LEO who fucked up on reading addresses or a CO pointed you out to get special favors, you just as fucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Keep thinking that. Police fuck up no knock raids every week in america. If you shoot a LEO who fucked up on reading addresses or a CO pointed you out to get special favors, you just as fucked.

Never heard of "Swatting"?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agree.  In addition, fortify your doors to make it difficult for bad guys to kick in.

Perhaps have a lockable storm door that has to be penetrated first giving you time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

This. I have strikemaster's installed on both my doors. It remarkably increases the structural strength and can give much needed seconds.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/StrikeMaster-II-Door-Frame-and-Hinge-Reinforcement/202076114/?MERCH=REC-_-tablet_pip1_rr-1-_-NA-_-202076114-_-N&showPLP=false
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

So you are concerned about being put in a no win situation, in the dark, without all the relevant information to make a decision, because of a situation you had no part in creating, where the stakes are life and death or at least loss of freedom and/or resources to possibly be decided by others who weren't there and have never experienced anything remotely similar?

Sounds a lot like police work.

Quoted:

This is a reasonable response.  As much as I would hate to see one of my fellow officers killed accidentally by someone defending their home from what they reasonably believed were home invaders, I couldn't fault the man who legitimately thought he was protecting himself and his family from criminals.  This is absolutely why kicking doors isn't to be taken lightly and every effort must be made to ensure it is only done with appropriate legal cause at the correct location.  I have kicked a few doors in my days as a patrol cop.  In each instance it was necessary and the people inside knew exactly who I was before I forced entry.  I don't want to get shot by someone who mistakes me for a criminal.

Quoted:
In addition, fortify your doors to make it difficult for bad guys to kick in.

This is good advice regardless of whether the idea of police accidentally getting your address for a no-knock raid is on your radar or if you just want to take some easy steps toward reducing your chances of being victimized by a home invasion.   I hardened the entry points of my home years ago.

ETA:  I'm firmly in the "no-knock warrants suck" camp.  I understand the reasoning used to justify them but I still don't like the practice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So you are concerned about being put in a no win situation, in the dark, without all the relevant information to make a decision, because of a situation you had no part in creating, where the stakes are life and death or at least loss of freedom and/or resources to possibly be decided by others who weren't there and have never experienced anything remotely similar?

View Quote

Try to not break your arm patting yourself on the back like that.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

There is a case recently of a man doing just that, and he was either no-billed or acquitted.

In any case, nothing is as fucked up as dead.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may prove difficult since we are one of the most obese professions out there according to another thread in GD.

I just find the irony amusing.  What the OP is worried about is what most cops worry about: being forced into a bad position and having to make a very high stakes decision that, if they survive, will be scrutinized and arm chair quarterbacked to death by people who have no point of reference with that type of scenario.  

If you don't see the parallel then you are willfully ignorant on the matter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That may prove difficult since we are one of the most obese professions out there according to another thread in GD.

I just find the irony amusing.  What the OP is worried about is what most cops worry about: being forced into a bad position and having to make a very high stakes decision that, if they survive, will be scrutinized and arm chair quarterbacked to death by people who have no point of reference with that type of scenario.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You say parallel, I say there's not really a comparison between voluntary employment and assaulted in one's own home.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Don't have doors that can be kicked in with any reasonable amount of effort.

It's not all that hard, and it's a much better thing to spend money on than pissing it away on beer, movie tickets, etc.

Quoted:

Not a commentary on the guy that got shot, but if you know you haven't broken the law and shoot a cop who hit the wrong house you may not go to prison. It will definitely fuck your life up though.  I'll take fucked life over dead family.  There's certainly not a good outcome no matter what.

I'm going to call BS on that.   You shoot a cop, you will most likely get shot, and they will probably handcuff you and sit there and watch you bleed to death.   If you live, you will almost certainly spend a very long time in prison, quite possibly the rest of your life.

That outcome has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they hit the right house or were acting in good faith.   Our criminal justice system is completely fucked.

Quoted:

If we're talking about decisions made under pressure during a raid/arrest, then yes, you're absolutely correct.   If we're talking about not even showing up at the right house, then I'm calling BS on that too.

There is no excuse in 2014 to kick in the door of the wrong residence with the resources people have available.   That's gross negligence on someone's part.   Unfortunately, there are entire agencies that don't even know what they don't know about address information.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You say parallel, I say there's not really a comparison between voluntary employment and assaulted in one's own home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also no union to fight for me or cover my defense bills.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It certainly isn't the same, but that's why I used the word parallel.  The concern is the same even though the circumstances that bring it about are far different.

It is far more likely to be a problem for a police officer since the odds of being in a house accidentally no-knocked by the police is exceptionally small compared to the odds of someone trying to murder an officer, but that disparity is certainly part of the voluntary employment thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Solution:  don't have doors that can be kicked in....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
If someone kicks in my door I'm shooting. My family is more important than the chance I could be killed or go to jail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

This here, you enter my home forcefully it's gonna be ugly, simple.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. I have strikemaster's installed on both my doors. It remarkably increases the structural strength and can give much needed seconds.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/StrikeMaster-II-Door-Frame-and-Hinge-Reinforcement/202076114/?MERCH=REC-_-tablet_pip1_rr-1-_-NA-_-202076114-_-N&showPLP=false
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]

So, you pay them as an individual for job-related shootings?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a guy to do?

I think I'll pass on the warrant for Moto when it comes in.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a guy to do?

But, you live across the street and they got the address wrong.  No intentional fault, but....

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In your smarminess and haste, you spelled it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=naivety

In your smarminess and haste, you spelled it wrong.

Pretty typical for him
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What's a guy to do?
View Quote
Shoot first ask questions later.  Its all you can do.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Just yell "POLICE" right back at them.  See if they drop to the floor...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever heard of the terms "qualified immunity"?  If I make a mistake I have to pay for my own attorneys.  You have the resources of the state to back you up.  Even if I win in court, revenge will be exacted by agents of the state one way or another.  Apples and oranges.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Seems pretty easy to me.  I can easily distinguish the "command voice" yelling "Police, Search Warrant!" from some dindu yelling "Po-lease".

Seriously though, anyone that enters in my house uninvited gets shot at.  Zero consideration, Zero IFF, ZERO.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Do not break into my home yelling "police".

You'll just die yelling "police".
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just throw a safety cone in through the window and distract him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than a flashbang! ROFL

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

That looks like it would work very well for reinforcing doors.  

You can make your own, if you are so inclined, and it would save you some money.  I went to a local metal fabrication place and had strips made.  Drill and countersink the holes and then paint to match your trim.  The holes for the dead bolt and latch take a while to get right but I think I have about $20 invested per door.

Quoted:

So, you pay them as an individual for job-related shootings?

I’ve never had one, but I pay out of pocket for pre-paid legal services.  I learned a long time ago that relying on my department to cover me in the event of any use of force was foolish.  I’ve seen my own department attempt to hang an officer out to dry because public opinion wasn’t in his favor.  The use of force was on video, and I was present when it happened, and it was within policy and completely reasonable but they didn’t care.  Fortunately for him, he also had pre-paid legal services.

Quoted:
Have you ever heard of the terms "qualified immunity"?  If I make a mistake I have to pay for my own attorneys.  You have the resources of the state to back you up.  Even if I win in court, revenge will be exacted by agents of the state one way or another.  Apples and oranges.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Of course I’m familiar with qualified immunity, and I also know how it is misrepresented here and other places.

A person would be insane to accept the legal jeopardy associated with working as an officer without it.  I certainly wouldn’t do the job without it.  Hell, I don’t really want to do the job now but I’m stuck due to health insurance and pension.  If qualified immunity went away, those reasons wouldn’t keep me on the department.  As I mentioned earlier, doing this job puts a person in difficult situations that aren't black and white.  That extra exposure is bad enough with qualified immunity.

As for the resources of the state backing me, I have learned not to assume that will be the case (see above).  I’m sure most cops, at least from larger departments, have seen that idea fail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#36]
>2014
>not having your entire front entryway filled waist high with balls from a ball pit, rigged with strobe lights, concealing lube smeared across the floor, with the alarm system rigged up so that it plays "Fuck the Pain Away" by Peaches.

I swear, it's like you guys don't even take home defense seriously around here.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#38]

shoot and die

or

dont shoot and die

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

so this dude took 17 rounds -- 14 to the body armor and 3 to his actual body?

if so there's a few things to be said here:

1. full plate armor works
2. fully automatic rifles also work
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Great reason to have a surveillance system with alerts when bodies are detected.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#41]
It's illegal to impersonate the police.  Didn't they realize this?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Yell back "FBI!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Well it pays to have a 5lb Yorkie guarding the castle. Ankles and kneecaps will litter that fatal funnel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you guys talkin.... Ooohhhh a traffic cone, sweet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a guy to do?

Maybe Shane lives in the country? I know the rules out here are different than the way things are in the city. And I agree with Shane's idea.  Of course anyone would have to get into our fence to do anything.  And then there is the problem of the dogs.  So I'm hoping nobody will be able to surprise us.

Shane, if I'm on your jury, you walk.  It is simple as that (and I don't care what some judge says, I'm on the jury for a reason and that reason is to make my own decision).

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clue me in on the traffic cone reference?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So what happens if you get into a gunfight/standoff with the police conducting s botched no knock?
View Quote

You'd probably avoid the death penalty but get life in prison.  

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top