User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Are we running out of land?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
This club's restricted, Wang.. So don't tell 'em you're Jewish.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A waste of land.........just like golf courses.
View Quote

Whoa!  Hold on the buddy!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a Viking funeral. Light me up and push me out to sea, and instead of a sword by my side give me my AR

This.

This. But I want pushed out soaked in gasoline and everyone to shoot flaming arrows at me with a long bow.   The first one to hit me and iginte me gets my gun collection.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]

I'll tell ya, country clubs and cemeteries biggest wasters of prime real estate.  -Al Czervik ...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Whatever the person wanted is fine with me.

Probably just do whatevers cheapest for me though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]
For burial I prefer a green cemetery (look it up)  No embalming allowed and you have to be buried with natural materials, nothing synthetic.  The idea is that a person who is buried in a green cemetery will decompose over a couple of hundred years, then another person can be buried in the same spot.  So instead of having a cemetery that will fill up, close, then be abandoned and then cleared away for new development, you can have a cemetery that's the same size being reused over and over.  Also, green cemeteries don't allow headstones, just small markers.

Personally, I will be cremated and have my ashes scattered.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I are looking at buying land in NC but there's a damn family cemetery on it. It's from the 19th century and you can't even read the stones any more but to get rid of it we'd have to pay to dig up and reinter each one individualy. That's a huge pain and expense. It just ruins the land. I just want a funeral pyre or Viking burial.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I want a Viking funeral. Light me up and push me out to sea, and instead of a sword by my side give me my AR

This.
I'm with these guys

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The big local cemetery here is stuffed between a railroad track, an industrial area, and a freeway.  I'ts not really "good land"

Cremation has gone up in popularity, and around a third of bodies are now cremated.  Cremation seems to be more popular in states where atheism is more popular, so I would actually guess that half of atheists (if not more) are likely cremated.

Roman Catholics tend to have religious reasons for burial, as do Muslims.  Most Protestants and Evangelicals don't have a religious requirement, but tradition is a big factor.  And traditions that have lasted for thousands of years aren't outgrown quickly, for good reason.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no desire to be embalmed and buried.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Since my body is getting too old to yield any useful parts my plan is, embalming followed by burial in the remote desert, with all of my guns and knives around me.
In two thousand years some archaeologist will think he has found some ancient king and I will be in all the headlines!
Maybe hade one of those LOTR swords on my chest.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I plan to be frozen and shot into space aboard a spacecraft . Then in the 24th century, the ships doctor can cure my malady. Then I'll be getting 24th century alien poon
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I changed my mind.  I want to be buried in the middle of a remote crossroads with a wooden stake through my heart.  That'll really freak someone out when they find me some day.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
My Dad was buried, because that's what Mom wanted and wants for herself. My wife and I have agreed that it's a complete waste to pay for even cheap coffins and stick them in the ground.  

Cremation and do whatever with the ashes, doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like cremation
View Quote

Me too.

gd
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have no desire to be embalmed and buried.
View Quote

this and only this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

boys I am going in a box then in the toaster......

View Quote

the thought of my remains rotting in a box in the ground is gross

You won't rot.  You'll be filled with chemicals and covered with makeup.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to be cremated and have my ashes shot out of a cannon.
View Quote

Cremation for me as well  

Hunter S Thompson's ashes were shot out of a cannon that was on top of a 153 foot tower to the song, "Spirit in the Sky"... If you're going to go, go big...

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Cremation for me as well

Hunter S Thompson's ashes were shot out of a cannon that was on top of a 153 foot tower to the song, "Spirit in the Sky"... If you're going to go, go big...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cremation for me as well

This is my new favorite.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Double this
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cremation

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Some of my in-laws are on he shelves in the living room.
When wife's mucho grandee granny died, they had to put some ashes in a zip lock since they wouldn't fit in the urn.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They are a waste of good land. Just like golf courses.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you even resurrect, bro?

The body is sown in to the earth like a seed for the resurrection. That's why we have this custom.

It makes complete sense for cremation to return as the preferred method of disposing of bodies if people no longer hold this belief. It's much more practical.

Yay, utilitarianism.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm for cremation, but cemeteries serve as an important historical record, FWIW. In this, the digital age, it seems that we could easily do without them, but a lot has been learned by finding the right headstone.
View Quote

This.

In this digital age I think we are making it dificult for future generations to trace some important historical information.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like cremation
View Quote

And then made into a Diamond, so that I will finally be be something my wife likes....

If she gets lucky and I fail my quest to live forever.

People Farms are a waste of real estate, millions planted, never so much as a sprout. Stupidity . Spending thousands to put a rotting bag of meat in a hole in an expensive box.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The body is sown in to the earth like a seed for the resurrection. That's why we have this custom.
It makes complete sense for cremation to return as the preferred method of disposing of bodies if people no longer hold this belief. It's much more practical.
Yay, utilitarianism.
View Quote
Um.

(ETA: I can't figure out if you're pro or anti cremation)

You're turning into dust either way. If my body is resurrected I really hope I'm not buried under 6 feet of dirt or I'm just going to die again

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I voted all because Ill do what I want.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yay, utilitarianism.
View Quote

How much matter is lost in cremation?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I want to be stuffed with Tannerite and blown to smithereens.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay, utilitarianism.

Also, what difference would it make? You can be resurrected from worm poop but not from ashes? What's the difference?

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I told my wife if I go first to dispose of my carcass as cheaply as possible.  I won't be using it anymore so why keep it around?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Burn and turn into bullets.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#37]
this for me

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yay, utilitarianism.
View Quote

I think you underestimate the power of God, who created everything from nothing. Cremation was once frowned upon because many did it in defiance of God. Christians doing it now understand that cremation merely speeds up the process of decomposition. Do you really think if God can raise someone dead for thousands of years, such as Abraham for example, He can't raise someone cremated yesterday?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think you underestimate the power of God, who created everything from nothing. Cremation was once frowned upon because many did it in defiance of God. Christians doing it now understand that cremation merely speeds up the process of decomposition. Do you really think if God can raise someone dead for thousands of years, such as Abraham for example, He can't raise someone cremated yesterday?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay, utilitarianism.

The burning of bodies was considered an insult it was something one did to one's enemies to wipe their memories from the earth.

The Archangel Gabriel fought Satan over the body of Moses.....The bones of Joseph were taken out of Egypt with Moses for reburial
in the Promised Land

A compromise might be to let carpet beetles eat the flesh and then bury the bones with ceremony in a family plot........
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Pack my ass full of gunpowder, shove a fuse up my pecker and light the candle!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yay, utilitarianism.
View Quote

Sad that those who burn up in house fires (or the thousands from the twin towers and Dresden) will never be resurrected because God in his infinite wisdom can only piece together worm poop and not ashes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Where is the Soylent Green option?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I want to be cremated and have my ashes put into some part of a Katana.  Yes, it will be expensive, but I will be dead and it will be cheaper than a grave.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yay, utilitarianism.
View Quote

Yeah any sort of God worth their salt could reconstruct you from worm poop, the goo modern bodies turn to or ashes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's almost 2015, do we still think it's a good idea to pump our passed on loved ones full of preservatives, dress them up and put them in a fancy box 6 feet underground as a means of memorializing them.   I equate this to when we were little kids and we put our tooth under the pillow for the tooth fairy.  But we haven't outgrown this tradition yet.   Even Jesus didn't like this idea, he was closed off for three days and was like, "Haha, I'm out bitches!"  

In a totally made up figure I'm guessing that even 95% of atheists and agnostics get buried when their time comes.  And what for?  

Some of you might say that the whole process is for the living.  Then why are the plans sometimes made by the person dying, where they spend money that would be going to the survivors?
View Quote

Moot question.   If there was anything that was ever nobody else's business, this is it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I like cremation
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My dad wants the same thing, and some guy who owned a cannon told him it was illegal.

First reaction was it was typical gun counter BS, but with our government, you never know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad wants the same thing, and some guy who owned a cannon told him it was illegal.

First reaction was it was typical gun counter BS, but with our government, you never know.

In that case, I want to be cremated and shot illegally out of a cannon.  That makes it 87% more epic.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#49]
I am going to do the Eskimo shit when it's time and go for a walk without a coat in winter
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

This. Is. Badass!

ETA: Although, the gun does seem like a terrible waste. Better to pass it down to someone else to help fight against the tyrannical government of the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hell yea..this

This. Is. Badass!

ETA: Although, the gun does seem like a terrible waste. Better to pass it down to someone else to help fight against the tyrannical government of the future.

If I was really dead, and not just mostly dead, a de-milled piece would suffice.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top