Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:18:51 PM EDT
1851 Navy 36 Caliber Steel Frame

This is the Steel Frame 36 caliber version.  This is the original caliber and original frame material not the cheaper brass framed 44 caliber versions (like in my avatar) normally sold at this price.

I haven't seen them this cheap in 10 years!

Use promo code 4JOLLY for free shipping on orders over $50.

Edit for correct promo code.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

This is the Steel Frame 36 caliber version.  This is the original caliber and original frame material not the cheaper brass framed 44 caliber versions (like in my avatar) normally sold at this price.

Use promo code 4FROSTY for free shipping on orders over $50.
View Quote

4FROSTY says not valid and 4FROSTY20 ended 12/12/14.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Use 4JOLLY
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to see a maker re-engineer some of these old cap and ball designs to use modern smokeless powders and more commonly available primers.  I think it would make a great hunting handgun against large game for people interested in old school revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn that's sexy
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd like to see a maker re-engineer some of these old cap and ball designs to use modern smokeless powders and more commonly available primers.  I think it would make a great hunting handgun against large game for people interested in old school revolvers.
View Quote

There are 38 caliber conversions of the Ruger Old Army used for target shooting in England that do this very thing.

Smokeless powder and small pistol primers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I want
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool! I'm sorely tempted, I have no BP percussion guns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are 38 caliber conversions of the Ruger Old Army used for target shooting in England that do this very thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool, do you know if any are available stateside?  Honestly, though, I'd prefer something in .40+ caliber to allow for heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]

WANT
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn you Illinois and your black powder firearms bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My credit card whimpers every time I log into arfcom these days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My credit card whimpers every time I log into arfcom these days.
View Quote

The wife gives me the stinkeye when she sees me on Arfcom. Then checks the CC a few days later.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Can't get a black powder firearm shipped to your door legally here, Illinois considers it a firearm.

This just happened in the last few years.

ETA: As I reread the law, they may be able to ship to you but they would have to build in a 3 day waiting period and see your FOID card. There is no additional forms or FFL transfer directly required by the law but a background check may or may not be required, I can't tell on that point. Either way I can't just buy one I have to jump through additional hoops because this state is retarded.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use promo code 4FROSTY for free shipping on orders over $50.

Try- 4JOLLY
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber
View Quote

I have 4 44 caliber cap and balls.

I wanted a new caliber!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber
View Quote

The .44 with spare cylinder is on sale for $10 more
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered!

I had been agonizing over which Uberti revolver to order, this should get me by.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Colt_1851_Navy
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wanted a new caliber!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber

I wanted a new caliber!

I love new calibers! Especially obscure or obsolete ones. I only added .30 Mauser, 7.65 Argentine, and 6.5 Carcano in 2014, I'm slacking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a fan of early Colts.
Waiting for the 1858 Remington cartridge conversion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 5 now shit how . many more t
Do i need
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber

I don't see that
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't see that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber

I don't see that

I got you.

.44 with spare cylinder

Edited ridiculously long URL...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Rather pay the extra $30 for the '58.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
If I hadn't spent more than a paycheck on shit this last week, I'd probably jump on that...but I have to stop.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I only paid $75 for the used .44 I got from a police sale. I don't shoot it often as it gets so dirty after two cylinders it's difficult to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I got you.

.44 with spare cylinder

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh wish it was 44 ball

Don't need a new caliber

I don't see that

I got you.

.44 with spare cylinder

Bah brass frame , got that one already
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Your best bet in the US is one of the conversion cylinders for cartridges.  I don't recall one for a .38 caliber pistol, but the .45 Colt cylinders are easy to find.  Start with a Remington 1858 revolver if you haven't messed with cap and ball revolvers, it's a little easier to manipulate the cylinder in and out, and to clean up.  The cartridges are loaded with blackpowder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cool, do you know if any are available stateside?  Honestly, though, I'd prefer something in .40+ caliber to allow for heavier bullets.

Your best bet in the US is one of the conversion cylinders for cartridges.  I don't recall one for a .38 caliber pistol, but the .45 Colt cylinders are easy to find.  Start with a Remington 1858 revolver if you haven't messed with cap and ball revolvers, it's a little easier to manipulate the cylinder in and out, and to clean up.  The cartridges are loaded with blackpowder.
Curious, whats the legality of putting a cartridge conversion cylinder in these?

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

58 army ftw

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can't get a black powder firearm shipped to your door legally here, Illinois considers it a firearm.

ETA: As I reread the law, they may be able to ship to you but they would have to build in a 3 day waiting period and see your FOID card. There is no additional forms or FFL transfer directly required by the law but a background check may or may not be required, I can't tell on that point. Either way I can't just buy one I have to jump through additional hoops because this state is retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Does that apply to FTF/private sales as well?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bah brass frame , got that one already
View Quote

cabelas
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Pietta 1858 New Army .44-Cal. Black-Powder Revolver with Spare Cylender
And a starter kit

279.98 free shipping

Tax total at just over 308.00 and I had points for all of it

My first BP

Here by the 24th

WooT
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I only paid $75 for the used .44 I got from a police sale. I don't shoot it often as it gets so dirty after two cylinders it's difficult to shoot.
View Quote

Lube everything with bore butter or vegetable shortening and shoot all you want.  I have shot the pistol in my avatar over 100 times without cleaning and never had a misfire except when a spent cap got lodged between the hammer and frame.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Waiting periods and FOID validation apply to all firearm sales - so yes. At least the state police consider that once you "come to an agreement" to buy a firearm the waiting period starts. Coming to an agreement can be as simple as an email declaring you will buy it. This also applies to airguns with a muzzle velocity of 700 or greater fps.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#37]
If you are handy with a dremel you can do a cartridge conversion with this: http://www.kirstkonverter.com/1851-61-colt-navy.html all you have to do is grind out the loading gate port and then blue it.

I have done it on a black powder 1858 Uberti Remington clone and a Uberti Colt Walker clone. There are a few other companies that have cylinders out there and I will add links in an edit.

ETA: R&D Conversion http://www.howelloldwestconversions.com/shop/productinfo.cfm?catID=263&productid=803&cfid=368192&cftoken=6e3c77d01bd40ae8-4DDFB048-C29F-29A9-6F899199E05C9D2E .  I personally went with Kirst because you need to drill and tap for the R&D loading gate

The conversion are also availabe through Brownells, Buffalo Arms, etc. So search around for the best deal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the heads up.  Better get one at that price.  The best price I saw for these before was from the distributor 2 years ago for $200.

I shoot them in Frontiersman (SASS).  Yeehaw.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Waiting periods and FOID validation apply to all firearm sales - so yes. At least the state police consider that once you "come to an agreement" to buy a firearm the waiting period starts. Coming to an agreement can be as simple as an email declaring you will buy it. This also applies to airguns with a muzzle velocity of 700 or greater fps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Well my order today says it won't be here till December 24th, so doe the wait for the UPS man to bring it count?  If so fax them a copy of your FOID and get in on the deal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Curious, whats the legality of putting a cartridge conversion cylinder in these?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine either the cylinder counts as a firearm (and would need to be transferred as such) or assembling the final product counts as making a firearm (in which case, I imagine the frame would need to be serialized and proper transfer procedure followed if ever sold).  Theoretically, under the "once a firearm always a firearm" rule it wouldn't matter if you sold it with or without the cartridge cylinder, the frame would need to be serialized and your name and address would need to be engraved on it, or the firearm destroyed according to ATF procedures and be rewelded and assembled with the cap and ball cylinder (not that there would necessarily be any evidence to prove that the revolver was ever a firearm)..
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are Kirst Konvertors and are available for several old BP guns such as the 1858 Remington.  They aren't cheap.  (.45LC)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not a fan of early Colts.
Waiting for the 1858 Remington cartridge conversion.
View Quote

There are two manufacturers of conversion kits.  They have been out for years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

I go to the cabelas in hoffman estates all of the time, wouldnt they just march their website price?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's $25 off for anybody who wants it.

4JOLLY gets you free shipping worth $16.95

Here's the $25 you have to enter the number and the code in the spaces at checkout

Cabela's Buck # 394763559

C's Buck Code JKHTCW
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#46]
It says online price only, store prices may differ. So I doubt it, but you could always try, or ship it to the store and show your FOID there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Merry Christmas to me!

Quoted:
Here's $25 off for anybody who wants it.
View Quote

Damn, I just placed my order 5 min ago :(
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#48]

You are legally able to make your own firearm. Now if you make several and sell them, you will be considered to be in the business of firearm manufacturing by the ATF and will need a 07 FFL. There should be serial numbers already on the bp revolvers (there were on mine). Now if you do the conversion, yes it is now considered a firearm no matter what cylinder is in it due to the loading port cut out. If you sell it in the future it will need to be transferred according to the applicable state laws governing such transfers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it is being modified to use a modern primer and smokeless powder, why don't we also modify it to hold the powder, bullet and primer together in a handy brass container.  

The gun and special new ammo could look something like this.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like fun, but I have to go through an FFL for this or drive to Cabela's
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top