Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW I recently did a major rebuild of my computer and went with Win 8.1. It had the needed drivers built in so it was easier to get it installed on to a Samsung XP941 SSD. I primarily use my computer for gaming, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I'd echo the others, get 8GB of RAM, and 16GB if it's in your budget. And get a slightly bigger power supply. Most power supplies are more efficient if they are only loaded down about 50-75% of their capacity. A SSD should be your first upgrade. I went from normal hard drives to SSD's recently and it is crazy how much a difference it made.

Here's a couple of websites that I commonly use when I'm building a computer:

(No hot links because I'm on my phone, sorry)

Power supply calculator: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

PC Part Picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a 650 or 700 watt PSU.

8 or 16gb memory.

Nvidia video card, the 770 is a good sweet spot for power consumption/graphics output/price right now.

Otherwise, looks good.   I really like the i5 for gaming right now, and my Gigabyte board has been rock solid (I normally only buy ASUS or Intel, but I built a mini ITX system and the best board available was a Gigabyte).

/edit Yeah, go with an SSD for your boot drive...  Intel or Samsung Pro series only.   Get at least a 128gb.

Also get a platter hard drive (can go with the "green" non-performance model and save $$) for large data dumps/backups of the SSD.  I have a 256gb SSD for boot, a 64gb SSD for World of Warcraft, and a 640gb Black series drive that I got here on the EE for data dumps.

Quoted:
People buy windows 8?????
View Quote

Windows 8.1 is fantastic.  Install a start button app like Classic Shell and enjoy.    It's got a lot of really nice enhancements under the hood, don't believe the GD hype about how it's not as good as Win7.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm inclined to tell you that this post is.... diagreeable.

First, an SSD will not improve your performance in games. An SSD will lower your loading times sure, but you do not get increased performance.

Second, I agree with EBR and msot others, 8gb of memory is really the sweet spot, and you most likely don't need 16gb. You can measure your memory usage by opening task manager and clicking on "performance".

Lastly, the 270 video will not play most, or even many, games on ultra. I certainly can't fault you to having a budget and sticking with it, but if you are looking for an "ultra" experience in gaming, you'll need to upgrade the video card. I'm just upgrading from my 280, and it was a great card. Very capable for the $$.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No reason not to get an SSD for the primary HD on a gaming machine these days. That and an extra 4 gig of ram over what was posted in the OP and it will play anything with most things on ultra.

First, an SSD will not improve your performance in games. An SSD will lower your loading times sure, but you do not get increased performance.

Second, I agree with EBR and msot others, 8gb of memory is really the sweet spot, and you most likely don't need 16gb. You can measure your memory usage by opening task manager and clicking on "performance".

Lastly, the 270 video will not play most, or even many, games on ultra. I certainly can't fault you to having a budget and sticking with it, but if you are looking for an "ultra" experience in gaming, you'll need to upgrade the video card. I'm just upgrading from my 280, and it was a great card. Very capable for the $$.

Well, that's like your opinion man.

As I said given current pricing any new gaming machine should have an SSD - they improve load, boot  and install times and generally eliminate a system speed bottleneck you can get decent 256 gig ones for ~$100 or even less on sale so for a budget machine there is no reason not to get one.

Also, when I said it would play most games on ultra I was correct - it may not play some newer games on ultra but as it A 270X will run Crysis 3 at Very High most games ever will be fine unless they are trying to run a 4k TV or something off of it.  That said, I do agree with another poster that you can get a 280X at basically the same price so there is no reason not to do that except I think they have higher power requirements.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

8 or 16gb memory.

Nvidia video card, the 770 is a good sweet spot for power consumption/graphics output/price right now.

Otherwise, looks good.   I really like the i5 for gaming right now, and my Gigabyte board has been rock solid (I normally only buy ASUS or Intel, but I built a mini ITX system and the best board available was a Gigabyte).

/edit Yeah, go with an SSD for your boot drive...  Intel or Samsung Pro series only.   Get at least a 128gb.

Also get a platter hard drive (can go with the "green" non-performance model and save $$) for large data dumps/backups of the SSD.  I have a 256gb SSD for boot, a 64gb SSD for World of Warcraft, and a 640gb Black series drive that I got here on the EE for data dumps.
Windows 8.1 is fantastic.  Install a start button app like Classic Shell and enjoy.    It's got a lot of really nice enhancements under the hood, don't believe the GD hype about how it's not as good as Win7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

8 or 16gb memory.

Quoted:

People buy windows 8?????

Windows key + X > Start button

I don't understand why people install Classic Shell to only have a "START" button.

I love the 8.1 Desktop.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Samsung SSD on Win 8.1

10 second boot time and load time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Read THIS and THIS

Also maybe THIS

Like everyone else said, 8GB RAM is pretty much standard these days. More will not help. Yet. Less will hurt performance.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'd suggest getting a higher rated PS, that's the one component you really don't want to go cheap on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
This times one hundred.  You don't want a PSU that will pull a murder suicide and take your whole PC with it when it decides it has had enough.

Also couldn't hurt to get one with an 80+ Gold rating.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This times one hundred.  You don't want a PSU that will pull a murder suicide and take your whole PC with it when it decides it has had enough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd suggest getting a higher rated PS, that's the one component you really don't want to go cheap on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I thought I was future proofing mine with a Corsair AX1200 PSU

Then they come out with an AX1500i

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others have said get more RAM.  4 gigs is becoming the standard minimum.  You don't want to meet the minimum requirements you want to exceed them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No reason not to get an SSD for the primary HD on a gaming machine these days. That and an extra 4 gig of ram over what was posted in the OP and it will play anything with most things on ultra.

Back when I played the Dayz mod with my friend I can be partially loaded into the game as in about to spawn and my friend can launch the game, load the server, and then make it into the game before I do even though I was already loading into the map before he even launched the game.  Loading time are part of performance.  I don't see how anyone would think it wasn't.  But yes other than that it wont help unless it has to stream more data to the ram during gameplay.  Then it might help.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It should get you by. I would recommend a SSD and at least 8GB of RAM (1333 is fine)

My CPU is older, and my GPU isn't quite as powerful, but I can still play pretty much any game I want on high settings in 1920x1080.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
4GB is not enough ram by any means, 8-16 GB is what you are aiming for.  Dump the standard hard drive and throw a 256GB SSD in there instead, or include the standard hard drive for media storage
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It will, though the FPS impact is minimal. I have done extensive testing with mine, that's how I know. Not all loading occurs at game start... I play streaming heavy games, and the SSD has greatly reduced tex/model pop in, major hangs for data loading, and generally smoothed out micro stuttering considerably. Though FPS stayed relatively flat, the overall rate of long frames was reduced significantly. Not all perceived performance comes from FPS.

Agreed on the rest.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You should consider two things...

1.  Go with 8 meg ram

2.  get and Nvidia GPU.  700 series card or better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1.  Go with 8 meg ram

View Quote

I just installed a Nvida GTX 750 Ti, I am very impressed with it. The performance is just below a Radeon 270 I believe, and my TDP is only about 50-60 watts.....which is roughly one third of the power consumption of similar performing cards.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just installed a Nvida GTX 750 Ti, I am very impressed with it. The performance is just below a Radeon 270 I believe, and my TDP is only about 50-60 watts.....which is roughly one third of the power consumption of similar performing cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Go with 8 meg ram

The GTX 750 Ti is well regarded as an entry level gaming card.

Sufficient to start the enthusiast addiction.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I ordered most of it, came in at ~$650 without video card.  Here is what I bought so far, be here Thursday.

(1) Processor: Intel Core i5-4590 ($197)
(2) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ($93)
(3) Video Card: To be determined
(4) Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB ($73)
(5) Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ($52)
(6) Case: Rosewill Challenger ($46)
(7) Power Supply: EVGA 750B2 ($74)
(8) Optical Drive: Samsung 24x DVD Burner ($17)
(9) Operating System: Windows 8.1 ($92)

So now, what video card?  I'd like to keep it under $300
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
First thing is a video card is pretty much the heart of a gaming computer. How much gaming are you planing on doing? What kind of games? What resolution are you planning on gaming at? 1080p? Higher? Lower? I tend to favor Nvidia cards only because I've had horrible luck with every AMD/ATI card that I've tried.

That all being said, if 1080p, then pretty much any card at or above a GTX 750Ti should save you a bit of money and be fine for light to moderate gaming, and even newer titles, though you may have to turn some details down. If you want to be able to hit higher resolutions or play a lot of online shooters or whatever, then most cards in the GTX 900 series should probably be your target. For higher resolutions, make sure the card has around 4GB of memory on it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

this one

$259 after mail in rebate
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First thing is a video card is pretty much the heart of a gaming computer. How much gaming are you planing on doing? What kind of games? What resolution are you planning on gaming at? 1080p? Higher? Lower? I tend to favor Nvidia cards only because I've had horrible luck with every AMD/ATI card that I've tried.

That all being said, if 1080p, then pretty much any card at or above a GTX 750Ti should save you a bit of money and be fine for light to moderate gaming, and even newer titles, though you may have to turn some details down. If you want to be able to hit higher resolutions or play a lot of online shooters or whatever, then most cards in the GTX 900 series should probably be your target. For higher resolutions, make sure the card has around 4GB of memory on it.
View Quote

He shouldn't have to turn anything down on a more moderate card.  The games should autodetect and adjust as necessary.  Right?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I keep reading that the difference between 4 and 8 is negligible for gaming.  It's easy enough to add later if I need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need more ram... other than that it looks good.

I keep reading that the difference between 4 and 8 is negligible for gaming.  It's easy enough to add later if I need it.

I built with 8

I'm in the market for more already
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#22]
decent budget build, will be turning graphics settings down but wont be too bad.

i wont even build a pc without 16 gigs of ram or ssd. ymmv
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is this a decent start for a gaming pc?

(3) Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X OC 2GB ($180 - $15 rebate)
(4) Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB ($36)
(5) Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ($57)
(6) Case: Rosewill Challenger ($50)
(7) Power Supply: EVGA 500B ($40)
(8) Optical Drive: Samsung 24x DVD Burner ($19)
View Quote

Grab an SSD hard drive and more ram. I wouldn't buy a Radeon card either
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this a decent start for a gaming pc?

(6) Case: Rosewill Challenger ($50)
(7) Power Supply: EVGA 500B ($40)

I'm happy with AMD vid cards and will buy another.  But the top benchmarking combos are Intel/NVidia builds.

OP is half way there with his CPU... but benchmarks are not gameplay.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Windows 8 is trash.

I wouldn't recommend a AMD card, either.  Save AMD video cards for AMD CPU room heaters computers.  Buy nVidia for Intel.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can you afford a couple of hundred bucks more for a SSD? that will make a big difference.
View Quote

You can grab a 128 gig SSD for 60 to 70 bucks now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can you afford a couple of hundred bucks more for a SSD? that will make a big difference.
View Quote

I can afford more, but I gave myself an under $1k build for a Christmas present to myself.  I can always add more later, but for now...I've got to keep it under $1k.

Yes, I put limits on what I purchase for myself...otherwise, I'd have zero savings.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will be the first upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your going to get an 128gb SSD, install your OS on it. A 12 8gb SSD isn't very big for games. I would at least want a 500gb SSD for games (separate from OS).

Things to remember with SSDs. I highly recommend turing off hybernation on the SSD.

I did something else having to do with my RAM (16gb) with my SSD.

I forget exactly what all I did. I will try to find the tutorial.

I also swapped the paths to my temp files to my HDD

From the first day, my 256gb SSD with just OS installed left me with 170gb of free space. I want to keep as much free space as possible on my SSD and still have extremely fast boot times.

After I turned hybernation off and other stuff, I have 207gb of free space with Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Office 2013 installed.

Also, don't forget to change your download setting in your Internet browser. It will by default, download where your OS is. Change it to your storage hard drive so prevent filling up your SSD.

Also don't forget to manually change the path to install a program after its down loaded. It's as easy a changing a letter. Ex - C://MyPC/whatever to E://MyPC/whatever  (whatever letter dignates the hard drive you want to instinstall it on.

Sounds difficult, but it's actually all very easy
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

this one

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one

Agree.

The 290 is a great card for the money.

OP, Bite the bullet and get 4gb more ram.  You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one

Agree.

this card hasn't stuttered on anything I've thrown at it yet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127756

and I'll agree with more RAM
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Windows 8 is trash.

I wouldn't recommend a AMD card, either.  Save AMD video cards for AMD CPU room heaters computers.  Buy nVidia for Intel.

View Quote
None of that makes sense. First, Windows 8 has better performance than 7. Second, the idea that an AMD card should be paired only with an AMD processor has no basis in fact.

For under $300, the best choice is probably an R9 290.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No i7?

I always run NVIDIA - lots of this depends on the type of game and the resolution of your monitor. I play first person shooters on a Dell Ultrasharp so I need lots of video memory.

8 GB
View Quote

i7s are not necessary unless you are doing some serious high-level gaming. A nice i5, like the one he has, will do not than fine on 99% of high end games, and will not be the bottleneck on high settings 99% of the time. Though I would get the K model for a few bucks nor nor you're planning on period I updates-will allow overclocking later. i7s just aren't worth the price premium usually.

I also play FPSs on an UltraSharp (QHD), so yes, you need video memory, but that doesn't rule out AMD - I use an AMD and it works great.

Definitely get 8GB. 4GB will crawl so slow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

None of that makes sense. First, Windows 8 has better performance than 7. Second, the idea that an AMD card should be paired only with an AMD processor has no basis in fact.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Windows 8 is trash.

For $550, you can get a GTX 780 K|ngp|n

They were $8-900 earlier this year

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need more ram... other than that it looks good.

Nope, no way. 8GB should be the minimum. And RAM is cheap so there is no point in cheaping out here.
ETA: kind of a moot point since you ordered it already.

Other than that, looks great. 500Watts is plenty for that card, but make sure it has enough rails or amperage on the 12V line to run this.

I would get the ATI/Radeon card you are looking at. They are a great value, which is clearly important to you. There is a reason they took the market by storm when they came out, and it's not just bitcoin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

(1) Processor: Intel Core i5-4590K ($197)
(3) Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 OC 3GB
(4) Memory: Corsair 8GB 1600mhz with 8-8-8- pr 9-9-9- timings.)
Highy recommend this paird with a Crucial MX100 SSD , 256Gb.
(6) Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
(7) Power Supply: Minimum 650Watt with 80plus bronze rating
View Quote

I made some changes. HIGHLY reecommend these.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It should get you by. I would recommend a SSD and at least 8GB of RAM (1333 is fine)

My CPU is older, and my GPU isn't quite as powerful, but I can still play pretty much any game I want on high settings in 1920x1080.
View Quote

NO, 1600. NO question. minimum

needs 8-8-8 oy 9-9-9 timings.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Also OP.

the GTX 700 series are pointless at this point.

the GTX 970's for 350 out perform the hig end 500dollar 700 series.

PM me or get in the tinychat thread and i'll walk you though and tell you the differences.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Screw it, OP. Just get a GTX Titan-Z

Get 2 of them so you can SLI that bitch and have 3 monitors

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Windows 8 is trash.

The 290 has roughly equivalent performance to a GTX 780.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Clearly this is a budget build. He wouldn't be getting a $50 hard drive if he wanted to spend $350 or $500 on a video card.

I did extensive testing with my gaming PC a couple years ago, with an HD6850 and i5 CPU it maxed out at 320 watts at the wall, which means the PC itself was using less than 300W with all 4 cores pegged and 100% load on the GPU, a feat which never happens in a game. A 500W power supply might be enough, depends on which video card he gets. At idle I used under 100W.

Here's a 600W PSU that is well priced. Only has a single 12V rail though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

This is a great card and will work with a 500W PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150678&cm_re=r9_290-_-14-150-678-_-Product
$240 after rebate
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And for half the price.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#45]
i5 yes
i7 no

ssd needed

get all the video card you can afford, I think the 290 is the best bang now
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#46]
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=128869
My build, took two bronze medals, could of taken a gold had I truly entered my GPU max overcook and not thought it couldn't compete.  this year will be different :) Sold the 550ti, made temps to high for the one or two games it helped with PhysX.

I need more ram, stronger GPU and a SSD. I stream my games and do 4k recordings so I needed the i7 over the i5. Gtx770 does just fine on games older than a few months ago. The new games that are devolved on consoles aren't very optimized. I still can run most games at ultra in 1080p, 1440p and with settings tweaked (no anti-aliasing) 4k is fine. I'll end up selling my 770 for $250 or so and getting a gtx970 or wait until next year and fully upgrade.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top