Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Gunfight.  If someone who has been in a gunfight tells you they wasn't scared don't believe them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Similar situation to the OP story. My son was stillborn and after the delivery my wife went into what was later determined to be DIC with uncontrollable bleeding. They started paging every nurse and OR tech on the floor it seemed. They handed my son to me and took her to the OR. i felt like I was going to pass out the whole time this was going on, given the loss of our baby and the potential loss of my wife. They finally got a handle on it and brought her back around and she was fine after a week in the hospital. I hope to never go through anything like that again.
View Quote

My condolences.

My wife is pregnant now, and this is tremendously scary for me.  I'd much rather some assholes just try and kill me, than have my family at risk for anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was in a bad car crash.  We were it from behind on the freeway.  Nothing I could do.  Steering, braking....nothing.  Newton’s laws were in charge.  It was a full-sized van.  It rolled 3 times and ended up upside down on the freeway.  My wife and I were in the upside down van and when we looked around, our children were no longer in the van.......they had been ejected.  That instant was was the worst of my life.  Terror.

My boys were out laying on their backs on I-15.......miraculously un-injured.  Not even a scratch.  God has other plans for them.  I’ll never forget the sight of my boys laying out on the pavement.

The drunk who hit us was killed instantly.
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Driving to the hospital the night my Daughter died..not knowing what i was going to be arriving to... Just knowing that she was unconscious and not responding, and no other details. I recall the normally hour drive to where the Hospital was located seemed like only 15 minutes, with me trying to call my Brother and Sister, even though i didnt have any actual information for them..I still dont remember most of it..pretty much promising the almighty anything and everything id she would only be ok.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Divorce court!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a snow covered state trooper pounding on my door during a power out blizzard.  He was there to tell me that my daughter's pediatrician was trying to get ahold of me and, based on lab results, I should get my daughter to the emergency room at Nemours Children's Hospital immediately.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had a snow covered state trooper pounding on my door during a power out blizzard.  He was there to tell me that my daughter's pediatrician was trying to get ahold of me and, based on lab results, I should get my daughter to the emergency room at Nemours Children's Hospital immediately.

View Quote

Damn.  I hope she is fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
In the woods with a suspect on top of me choking me and no backup. He then went looking for my pistol but i got it out first. Went click but no bang, was able to rack it and try again, that time it went bang, /fight. First time i thought in the moment that i might die.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
As  a teen (15) friend stole a dirt bike, I didn't know, turned out
To be the star linebackers bike, I was caught on it. I weighed about
100lbs, he was about 250.

Hydroplane on busy interstate at about 70 mph. Did 360 and stopped
In breakdown lane

2 black guys walking up on me with intent at a car wash late one night
After I hosed my truck down from blood when I hit a deer
I pulled out an old shotgun that didn't even work, they changed their mind
Thank god.

Myrtle beach, rip current and I had been drinking, had to get help from jet ski
Rider

Whenever I hear my wife call my full name or says "we have to talk"

Nothing like some of these story's

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She is.  It was a couple days after she was born and she had a false positive for a pretty serious genetic condition.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Had to go to court as a witness to a crime.

It's not scary now - but as a teenager that witnessed a crime, told what I saw, then had a room full of people say I was a liar. This went on for 4 hours. It really makes you question things. Not in the truthfulness of my statements, but the merit of the system.

After all was said and done, turns out I dealt with the toughest defense attorney in the State of Florida and one of known shittiest judges in Polk County.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Well lets see
Afghanistan, the first time I thought a missile was launched at me
Afghanistan, one particular dust out I knew I was gonna die. I just curled up into a ball and said "Fuck this is gonna hurt". Ended up just being a hard landing
Cambodia I got arrested and threatened with an "indefinite detention in Phnom Penh prison" for "Illegally entering the kingdom of Cambodia"  THAT was some scary shit
Ive been terrified lots maybe Im just pussy but I can tell you this. Nothing leaves me so helpless and scared as when my kid is sick
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a live .223 go off in a press about 24 inches from me.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Driving to the hospital the night my Daughter died..not knowing what i was going to be arriving to... Just knowing that she was unconscious and not responding, and no other details. I recall the normally hour drive to where the Hospital was located seemed like only 15 minutes, with me trying to call my Brother and Sister, even though i didnt have any actual information for them..I still dont remember most of it..pretty much promising the almighty anything and everything id she would only be ok.
View Quote

My condolences sir. She is in God's arms now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Right after the 77gr SMK went into the shared apartment wall. That was pretty fucking terrifying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Bad asthma attack. I've had it for 30 years, but I had a reaction to something and quickly starting losing oxygen.

When I realized I didn't have my rescue inhaler and and started getting close to blacking out I thought I was going to die.

Luckily, someone found me and was able to retrieve my inhaler. I was probably 5-10 minutes from dead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Two summers ago I was very out of shape and wearing some beach shoes while I tried to swim 50 yards to a diving platform in a lake in New Hampshire. About half way to the platform I realize I am very tired and because of the beach shoes my legs are not propelling me as they should. I end up panicking and barely make it to the platform swimming with mostly my arms. When I reach the platform I bear hug the post for about 5 minutes then climb the ladder. I am too afraid to even attempt to swim back so I have my FIL come pick me up with the boat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't even imagine this.  I wish there was a way to take this pain from you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My condolences.

My wife is pregnant now, and this is tremendously scary for me.  I'd much rather some assholes just try and kill me, than have my family at risk for anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Similar situation to the OP story. My son was stillborn and after the delivery my wife went into what was later determined to be DIC with uncontrollable bleeding. They started paging every nurse and OR tech on the floor it seemed. They handed my son to me and took her to the OR. i felt like I was going to pass out the whole time this was going on, given the loss of our baby and the potential loss of my wife. They finally got a handle on it and brought her back around and she was fine after a week in the hospital. I hope to never go through anything like that again.

My condolences.

I know pregnancy is supposed to be a joyous time but it can be kind of scary. They never figured out what happened to our first even after genetic testing. They said everything looked fine. They literally drew about 14 vials of my wife's blood at the hospital and tested for everything they could and found out she has a genetic mutation called mthfr which causes clotting issues. They think that might have had something to do with it but there's no way to really know. She was on lovenox for the subsequent two pregnancies which thankfully resulted in two healthy babies but we were on pins and needles waiting for something to happen the whole time.

I know it might sound crazy to tell you this after I said all that, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. Something like that is pretty uncommon and most likely everything will go smoothly. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The most scared I've ever been was easily when my one year old son had a seizure that lasted 40 minutes and he was turning blue by the time he made it to the ER.  He was intubated and flown to the regional children's hospital.  I thought we'd lost him.  He's had a handful more since but none anywhere near as bad as the first.

I don't wish that on anyone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I just finished an 8k, time was about 30 minutes so I was gassed, and I started puking. Mouth and throat filled up with snot and I couldn't breathe, I was absolutely exhausted and out of breath and for about twenty or thirty seconds I just staggered around hoping I wouldn't pass out and suffocate or have a heart attack. I can honestly say not being able to breathe when every part of your body is screaming for oxygen is terrifying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been in a lot of crazy situations and looked death in the eye a few times but nothing has ever made my knees weak and given me the shakes worse than talking my mother out of killing herself. Maybe knowing that I was part of her agony made it worse.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Just reading this thread reaffirms my belief that you never even know what it means to worry until you become a parent. You also never know what it means to love until you become a parent. The two go hand in hand. It's a strange combination of being the most wonderful and terrifying thing all at once.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#25]
27 miles out in Michigan when a storm that was totally unexpected came out of nowhere. Had been monitoring the weather due to wanting to go this far out (rainbows) and was told it was all safe. Alumacraft 19.5 with a Merc 150 on it, couldn't go faster than maybe 5 mph due to swells and rollers. Bilge was on the whole time. Huge waves crashing over the sides. We had our vests on, sitting on the bottom of the boat, drift net ready in case the engine took one, online with the coast guard. Thought for sure I would be dead before shore. Took like 4 hours to reach safe water, coast guard had us on the whole time. I think I gave myself an ulcer from dry heaving in the boat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Driving my unresponsive son to the ER with my wife holding him going as fast as my shitty car would go.

Viral meningitis, the beginning of a long scary trip that ended well.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is what it is...I Miss her every day, and there are times when i see or hear something that just drops me. It'll be 4 years on Valentine's day and it never gets easier..
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is what it is...I Miss her every day, and there are times when i see or hear something that just drops me. It'll be 4 years on Valentine's day and it never gets easier..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my most heartfelt condolences.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When my first son was born, he came out a little blue and couldn't quite get a breathing pattern going. The nurses took him to the warmer to try to get him straight. Per my wife's instructions, I stayed with him.obviously at this point I am extremely concerned, but i figure the nurses know what they are doing. All of a sudden the OB who was still working on my wife calls a nurse over. I see the doctors face and she is a little panicked. I hear her say "I...I can seem to get the bleeding to stop." It occurs to me at that point, I could lose the 2 most important things to me. Soul ripping fear. Thankfully it only lasted about 5 min. The doc got things fixed and was already joking around again before the nurse could finish telling me that baby Noah was just fine.
View Quote

Moments like this put all the other bullshit into perspective.  For Christmas, all I really need is my wife, daughter, and and our health.  I pray every day to thank God for all the above.  All other things are second to those.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know pregnancy is supposed to be a joyous time but it can be kind of scary. They never figured out what happened to our first even after genetic testing. They said everything looked fine. They literally drew about 14 vials of my wife's blood at the hospital and tested for everything they could and found out she has a genetic mutation called mthfr which causes clotting issues. They think that might have had something to do with it but there's no way to really know. She was on lovenox for the subsequent two pregnancies which thankfully resulted in two healthy babies but we were on pins and needles waiting for something to happen the whole time.

I know it might sound crazy to tell you this after I said all that, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. Something like that is pretty uncommon and most likely everything will go smoothly. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My condolences.

Yeah, I know.  Have a healthy one now.  As the saying goes, it isn't the odds, its the stakes that scare me.  Thinking about something happening to my son and soon to be baby are terrifying.  Thinking about something happening to my wife is a close second.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Hanging by the muddy greasy skid of a UH-1D Huey and realizing I had to let go of it in order to grab a door corner and pull myself in while
the pilot is pulling out and climbing to altitude.......

Was in a mall dominated by hood rats my 7 month pregnant wife dragged me to and we got surrounded by hoot rats who threatened to "cut the baby out of the white bitch" and my .45 was under the front seat of our car a few hundred feet away.....managed to get to it just in time and secured the wife
and baby and made for home....

When my daughter was born and there was 1 doc and 1 nurse in a maternity ward at midnight with 6 women going into labor and my wife needed
an emergency episiotomy and It was just me and the doc and I was sliding around the floor on my wife's blood and the baby was born
cyanotic and I was scared she had a bad heart......
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also had one of those paralyzed waking dream things where all of existence flattened and shed its emotional investments, leaving me with the pure sensation of understanding the objectivity of myself fully. A few seconds of that nearly dove me insane. I'd prefer the armed robbery again.
View Quote

Yeah, I hate when that happens.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#33]
A few hours after birth, my son has a tension pneumothorax.  Kept him in NICU for 2 weeks, and it was really touch and go the first 48 hours.  I still get choked up if I think too much about it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#34]
About 8 years ago my wife called me all frantic to tell me the preschool called and told her that our two year old son was crying and refusing to walk....just dragging himself around on the floor like his legs were paralyzed.  At the time of the call,  I was in our entry team van on the way to serve a drug warrant on a house we've wanted to hit for years !!!  

Warrant went well and was over quick.   Son was fine.  Just having growing pains and didn't know what was happening with his legs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gunfight.  If someone who has been in a gunfight tells you they wasn't scared don't believe them.
View Quote

It's really scary when you don't have a gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Rock climbing at Lightning Dome in Idaho. Couple hundred feet of uprotected climbing starting at 200 ft or so. Woulda killed for a piton and hammer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#37]
First year Ob-Gyn told us that our first pregnancy was ectopic and we should terminate. I remember her exact words were: "We can take care of this right now." Like she was going to service our car or something. Turns out she had misinterpreted some lab results that had gotten mixed up anyways. Scariest 2 weeks of my life. The people from the lab were very apologetic. The Dr. never acknowledged that she had suggested we abort a perfectly healthy baby.

He's 4 now and doing great. It scares me more looking back on it now. I might punch the dr in the face if I see her again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#38]
When my daughter was about to turn four, she got hospitalized for being anemic. This was in May of 2002. My ex had just split with me 3 months earlier and we were both sleeping in the hospital room with her.
The doctor had come in and was concerned about her white blood cell count.
I was a wreck as I was so scared it was leukemia. I didn't sleep that second night waiting for further test results. I prayed for all to be well with her.
The next evening, the Dr. Came in and told us her blood count was normal. I broke down crying when he said that.

I have never been as scared as that night.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Caught driving in rural west Texas during a thunderstorm with near zero visibility and tornado warnings.  No bridges, parking garages, nothing to hide under.  Afraid to stop in the road because someone might run into the back of my car afraid to drive forward because I might run into a car.  Really not that dangerous compared to the other stories here but it was a really 'feeling tiny' moment knowing there was nothing I could do to better my situation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Moments after I rotated a 500lb UAV off the runway in Afghanistan in the middle of the night and a Dyncorp MI-8 nobody knew about suddenly flew directly in front of me. I thought I was about to kill a few people Managed to dodge him and give a tower guard a pants-pooping moment as my right wing went by a few feet away.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Had an asshole in a ricer pull out what looked like a Mac-10 variant at my vehicle one night in Beaumont.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
After reading this, I realize, I have never really been scared.  Never had any serious crap like ya'll.
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Worked a second job for awhile.  By myself, at night, emptied the cash register at the request of the person with the stainless, semi auto pointed at me.  The police were apologetic that it took so long to get there. They were transferring prisoners.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#44]
I got robbed by a dindu at gunpoint down in MA one night when out drinking with friends. Took my phone and wallet.

Either that, or when my '96 2WD F150 broke loose on a patch of black ice on the highway, at about 60MPH. I was changing lanes when I hit the patch. Rear end came around on me, I clutched it and stabbed the brakes to bring it back, over corrected a bit and it snapped the other way, and I had just enough time to throttle it a hair and get it parallel to the guard rail as I smacked it. That guard rail ended about 50' after where I made contact -- after that it was just a grass median separating me from oncoming traffic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#45]
My daughter was about 2 and I had her over at a friends house for a get together, we were all talking and my daughter was playing with some toys on the floor.

In the middle of a conversation I looked over and my daughter was laying on the floor face down and looked as if she were sleeping.  It was about the time she would typically go to sleep so I didn't really think much of it, but something felt off.

I went over to her and looked at her face, as it was pointed away from me, her eyes were open...So I got down in front of her and her eyes didn't move at all.  I said her name, nothing.  I said her name louder..nothing, she just laid there motionless.  Instantly I thought she had choked on something, picked her up quickly and finger swiped her throat.  Apparently she was just sleeping with her eyes open or something because there was nothing wrong with her.  I scared the hell out of her...but the feeling was mutual.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Close ties go to,

Me and my co worker about to be jumped by a pack of dudes with machetes after wandering too far down a street in the Congo.
The time I thought it would be a good idea to pick a fight with 4 people, and getting stabbed in the head shortly after.
Having a .44 mag leveled off at an attackers face, hammer back, and ounces from the trigger disengaging.
Being in a highrise hotel during 150mph winds, with the whole building swaying back and forth watching the city come apart around me.
Listening to two complete strangers foretell my future and knowing some intimate details about my life after a night of partying.
Sliding sideways on ice, 60 mph,  full throttle in 4hi, while two simultaneous crashes happened on each side of me.
Trying to fight off my 15 foot burmese python when it decided it didnt like me anymore and squeezed the fuck out of me.
Walking up deer in the marsh, one deciding it wanted to run behind me, and everyone unloading in my direction not knowing I was there.

I need to start writing some of this shit down. lol

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#47]
For myself or someone else?

Myself.. Lost hunting alone without supplies at zero degrees wearing only a hoodie. Knowing no one knew where I was and I wouldn't be missed for three days wasn't real cool.

Someone else? Watching my wife almost bleed out during childbirth.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Had several but the worst was when my 5 month old boy had bronchitis, uri, and a double ear infection. Took him to the doctor and while in the office he quit crying and just went limp.
His o2 was so low he passed out. That scared me so much to see what I thought was my lifeless son in my wife's arms.

I was 17 and my dad had complete knee reconstruction. He was laid up in bed for a week and wasn't allowed to move so at the first chance he got after the doc released him from the bed, he went and took a shower. Of course I helped him. Either he got the water to hot or something but his blood pressure crashed or blood sugar crashed. He fell out of the shower and I caught him. He was aspirating and I had to beat on his back so he would cough it up. I took out 17 years of aggression on my old man's back I was so scared. Apparently I did something right, he was covered in deep bruises and hurt like hell for a month after.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats not a gunfight, thats just getting shot at.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Had a major illness back in 2005. I had an abscess in my liver that finally got big enough to start causing problems. By the time the physicians had figured out my mystery illness, I was so unstable, I basically needed a whole volume blood transfusion (16 units) to even be considered stable enough for surgery. I was on every anti-biotic known around the clock and still running over 101.0 fevers.  To avoid surgery the physicians tried a needle aspiration but it was too thick to drain with a syringe. I was on round the clock IV Demerol as well. It took two weeks to get me stable enough for the surgical team to even look at me.

The surgeon leveled with me and explained that I would have less than a 25% of a successful outcome because the abscess was throughout my liver and a good portion of my healthy liver tissue would have to be cut out with it, in order to avoid a rupture. He said he would try to leave as much healthy liver tissue as possible, but it was more than likely that I would end up needing a liver transplant soon after the surgery. He informed my case manager and doctors to start getting me placed on the national transplant list.

Going into the day of the surgery, I spoke with the VA Chaplain, my case manager. I talked with my  girlfriend (now my wife) and a lawyer I picked at random in the phone book. I told her that I wanted my girlfriend to get everything in my estate since none of my family could be bothered to visit. I had two paid for trucks at the time and had her go to my place and bring me the titles and I signed them over to her. I do have to admit mine and her allergies were acting up something fierce. When they took me back to pre-op, I silently made my peace with God fully expecting to see the other side shortly. When I went under general anesthesia I said goodbye to everyone in the operating room and wished them luck. I do remember a nurse holding my hand and reassuring me that I was going to wake up soon either way.

When I was brought out of anesthesia the first thing I saw was my future wife bawling her eyes out and she said everything went very well. The surgeon came in and said that everything went alot better than he expected and he estimated that he cut out around 30% of healthy liver tissue so I should recover well enough to not need a transplant after all.

When I was sent back to the ward I was on before surgery several of the nurses came in to congratulate me and that they were praying for me to pull through. Over the next two weeks I recovered better than my physician expected and said I was ready for discharge and follow up in two more weeks for staple removal and lab work. I was sent home with my central line in place and 12 weeks of IV antibiotics, Flagyl. Once that was done, I had a follow-up CT scan and more lab work and got a clean bill of health.

Even my time spent in Afghanistan in active combat was not as scary as that. I credit my time spent with the VA Chaplain and the peace I made with God before surgery. I knew I had lived a good life up until the surgery and everyday after that was a miraculous gift to be enjoyed to the fullest. As a Combat Medic and nurse, I have been able to save several lives that would have been lost, if not for the skilled surgeon at the VA.  

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top