BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because when you go to the range, and try have people shoot a qual course, and 10 out of the 30 AKs suffer horrible failures in the first 2 mags, that you have to spent 20 minutes fixing, get back to shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why in the hell would someone ''hate'' ak's? I never go to the range without one.

Because when you go to the range, and try have people shoot a qual course, and 10 out of the 30 AKs suffer horrible failures in the first 2 mags, that you have to spent 20 minutes fixing, get back to shooting.

Then oh, 4 broke terminally and now those guys can't shoot until next range time, and you will have to spend that time zeroing them because their old gun sheered a piston in half.

They are infuriating garbage.

Garbage goes in the garbage can.
Jesus where are they buying their AK'S?

With the exception of one and it was a Century all of my AK rifles have been 100% Granted I mostly spend money on kit builds from former military rifles.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah totally original thread I know but humor me.....Why do some of you hate the AK?
View Quote

Because Murrica bitch
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... Simply because there are better, "Go to" platforms available to us

Still, I like mine - as a matter of fact she's next to me now
View Quote

"When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every motherfucker in the room; accept no substitutes."

Tru Dat.

If I had to shoot my way out of a situation at close quarters, I know which rifle to grab.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
[url=http://imgur.com/e80NWUl][img]http://i.imgur.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I only have one
View Quote

Used to have way more than one.  Down to one again.

I'm going to hit my usual AK spiel:  Every American gun owner should own one.   The mere fact that the former symbol of Soviet/Communist oppression can be bought and sold on the free market by private American citizens is fucking awesome.

That being said, I prefer ARs for anything other than fun at the range.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Takes too much energy to hate AKs, I tend to ignore them and prefer superior platforms.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I absolutely love my one and only AK platform rifle! My converted Saiga is a nice shooter, with a nice trigger. Nice and clean 2.5 lb trigger break with some smithing.
What I do hate is my friend getting me into AR's, damnit my wallet cant afford all the options!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I like everything about mine except the charging handle location. It needs to be on the left side of the gun for us right handed shooters, you know, for probably 90% of the people in the world.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Terrible sights, short sight radius, horrible trigger, horrible safety, magazine retained by a protrusion rather than depression, charging handle on wrong side, terrible for mounting optics and they smell like communism.

View Quote

Sights aren't optimal, but just fine for your average American gun owner.  M4 and AK iron sight radius are the exact same.  Stock AR triggers and Stock AK triggers feel the same to me, so meh.  Safety does suck.  Magazine retention isn't optimal.  I'm a lefty, so charging handle is in a great fucking position.  Traditional AK optics mounts do suck ass.  No, they smell like freedom because you're buying them as a free American, ya doofus.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's crude, inaccurate and the preferred rifle of dirt shooters.
View Quote

You ever shot popups with one, full auto?

It's a killing machine.

I've taken deer with my MAK90.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#13]
The AK47 was superior to the early AR15/M16 series all the way up to the coming of the flat top ARs.

Once optics became general issue worthy and the improved AR magazines became available, the AR was superior.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Most of the problems with the AK come from the age of the design and the manufacturer.
If it's some nasty Wasr or somesuch from some trashy factory in who knows where then it's going to be a piece of trash regardless of the inherent design of the weapon.
The other issues, such as the mag release, the charging handle on the wrong side etc, are all byproducts of the Soviet considerations surrounding its design.
The AK never got the modernizing the AR did, at least not until very recently, and then only in Russia. I have an N-PAP and the fact that the Serbs did a fantastic job on it is one of the reasons it's not in the garbage can.
It's much less modern than my AR, and I won't go to war with it if I can use my AR, but it's a solid and well built weapon that fires a cheap cartridge. It's a bit dated, and I can remedy some of that, and ultimately it works for what it is supposed to do. The issue with AKs is that they aren't modernized, and shouldn't be considered as such.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#15]
They're fun.   I like them.

Finland likes them.

Israel liked them.

South Africa liked them before it died.

They aren't all bad.

Yeah, they're also Jundi guns.  Whatever.  Still fun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I like everything about mine except the charging handle location. It needs to be on the left side of the gun for us right handed shooters, you know, for probably 90% of the people in the world.
View Quote

Suck it.    I laugh when people talk bad AK ergos....I also immediately know they are not left handed.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I actually had an AK back in the 90s. It was an Egyptian Maadi with a nice thumbhole stock. It wasn't a bad gun, but I felt bad owning it. I am going to state very clearly, I do not believe anyone who owns an AK is unpatriotic, but for me personally, I felt unpatriotic owning it. And I wouldn't own one to this day because it is the weapon of the muslim terrorists. It's the rifle Bin Laden was pictured proudly holding. It's the weapon of Islamic terrorism and communist oppression. I want nothing to do with it.

The AR is the rifle for me. It's America's rifle! The rifle of freedom, the rifle of defiance against oppression. It's the weapon of the good guys.

That being said, I support the right of any American to own an AK, and I am strongly opposed to the Obama-imposed import ban on Russian-made AKs. It's a thinly veiled attack on our Second Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With the exception of one and it was a Century all of my AK rifles have been 100% Granted I mostly spend money on kit builds from former military rifles.

Brand new strait out of the crate from a huge variety of manufacturers.

These are military rifles.

The defect is pretending that garbage can be used as a gun, instead of going in a can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Jesus where are they buying their AK'S?

Brand new strait out of the crate from a huge variety of manufacturers.

These are military rifles.

The defect is pretending that garbage can be used as a gun, instead of going in a can.

They must do a better job on the ones they send over here.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sights aren't optimal, but just fine for your average American gun owner.  M4 and AK iron sight radius are the exact same.  Stock AR triggers and Stock AK triggers feel the same to me, so meh.  Safety does suck.  Magazine retention isn't optimal.  I'm a lefty, so charging handle is in a great fucking position.  Traditional AK optics mounts do suck ass.  No, they smell like freedom because you're buying them as a free American, ya doofus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Terrible sights, short sight radius, horrible trigger, horrible safety, magazine retained by a protrusion rather than depression, charging handle on wrong side, terrible for mounting optics and they smell like communism.

They smell like victory.

Fuck you commies, we do your guns better than you did.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My arsenal slr 107-36 shoots 2 moa, that's three shot groups with an aimpoint micro on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They smell like victory.

View Quote

You get it.

They're not better than ARs, but we can buy the former symbol of Soviet oppression and revolution online for no other reason than "I fucking want one".  That's fucking awesome.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Shitty ergodynamics and shitty reliability.  

Then again, mine is a WASR.  
View Quote

Century Arms wins again
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You get it.

They're not better than ARs, but we can buy the former symbol of Soviet oppression and revolution online for no other reason than "I fucking want one".  That's fucking awesome.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They smell like victory.

You get it.

This I can agree with.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
It's not a functional thing for me.  I was in the army during the cold war.  I will forever associate the AK with my sworn enemy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It belongs in the trashcan??  All seriousness aside I do really want an AK-74 variant, unfortunately a all around AR upper comes first!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My arsenal slr 107-36 shoots 2 moa, that's three shot groups with an aimpoint micro on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought I should be more specific,  2.75'' to be exact.  I know, in ''moa'' talk that's a decent difference.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because when you go to the range, and try to have people shoot a qual course, and 10 out of the 30 AKs suffer horrible failures in the first 2 mags, then you have to spent 20 minutes fixing, before you can get back to shooting.

Then oh, 4 broke terminally and now those guys can't shoot until next range time, and you will have to spend that time zeroing them because their old gun sheered a piston in half.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why in the hell would someone ''hate'' ak's? I never go to the range without one.

Because when you go to the range, and try to have people shoot a qual course, and 10 out of the 30 AKs suffer horrible failures in the first 2 mags, then you have to spent 20 minutes fixing, before you can get back to shooting.

Iraq or Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's not a functional thing for me.  I was in the army during the cold war.  I will forever associate the AK with my sworn enemy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I hate AKs for the same reason people hate XD's
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ETA but don't tell my M92 PAP I said those hateful things.  It might reject my Form 1
View Quote

THe sight radius on an AK is nearly identical to the sight radius on an AR carbine.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Springfield sells plastic AK's made in Croatia?

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I hate the asinine mythology surrounding them, the silly arguments usually made in their favor and the often childish fanboys.

The guns themselves are pretty cool, and I actually like them, but have some very real issues compared to AR15s.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:45:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I actually had an AK back in the 90s. It was an Egyptian Maadi with a nice thumbhole stock. It wasn't a bad gun, but I felt bad owning it. I am going to state very clearly, I do not believe anyone who owns an AK is unpatriotic, but for me personally, I felt unpatriotic owning it. And I wouldn't own one to this day because it is the weapon of the muslim terrorists. It's the rifle Bin Laden was pictured proudly holding. It's the weapon of Islamic terrorism and communist oppression. I want nothing to do with it.

The AR is the rifle for me. It's America's rifle! The rifle of freedom, the rifle of defiance against oppression. It's the weapon of the good guys.

That being said, I support the right of any American to own an AK, and I am strongly opposed to the Obama-imposed import ban on Russian-made AKs. It's a thinly veiled attack on our Second Amendment rights.
View Quote

Please share your thoughts on the K98.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Because rusted ace said they belong in the trash can.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I was in the Army during the Global War on Terror.  I will forever associate commercial airliners with my sworn enemy.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Because it's junk.

And this is AR15.COM not commiegun.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Because it's junk.

View Quote

Check out AK47.net some time
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's junk.

It belongs in the garbage too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw. I think they are ugly, inaccurate, and unreliable. But I don't really have any facts to base that on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Because it's junk.

View Quote
And yet we have an AK section......Funny how that works eh?

Why you gotta make Misha sad?

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#46]
It's the most prolific small arm in the history of mankind.

Based on its design parameters and intended doctrine of use - it is an outstanding weapon.  

At the TN HTF shoot there were MANY of folks who were baffled that they could hit the 10" plates at 200-250 yards with 7.62x39 variants. Most of the folks had never even shot one and at the end of the day - I came home with some 5.56 left over but my cans of 7.62x39 were empty. Everyone wanted to have some fun.

Consensus of the day: AK's are pretty fucking fun to shoot.

99.8% of us will never use a carbine in a defensive manner - 100% of us will use a carbine for recreational shooting....

Everyone should have at least 1 AK.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It's the most prolific small arm in the history of mankind.

Based on its design parameters and intended doctrine of use - it is an outstanding weapon.  

At the TN HTF shoot there were MANY of folks who were baffled that they could hit the 10" plates at 200-250 yards with 7.62x39 variants. Most of the folks had never even shot one and at the end of the day - I came home with some 5.56 left over but my cans of 7.62x39 were empty. Everyone wanted to have some fun.

Consensus of the day: AK's are pretty fucking fun to shoot.

99.8% of us will never use a carbine in a defensive manner - 100% of us will use a carbine for recreational shooting....

Everyone should have at least 1 AK.

View Quote
They are fun as hell on Full Auto

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Not ugly.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I have more AKs than ARs....I think
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I have more AKs than ARs....I think
View Quote
I own AK's and FAL's.......I don't own a single AR.

Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top