Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a few of my shots. The first ones are from a trip to Ecuador and the others are from West Virginia. I have more pictures on my website, they're mostly color though. Photography

West Virginia

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They are there for 35mm, close for medium format (still equates out to 35-80 mp) but still a ways off from large format film (200+ mp equivalent)

With the sensors coming out I give it 5-10 years before we are there.

I do think film has its place that digital will never surpass same as LP's still have some advantages over CD's
kind of like comparing a 1969 427 Camaro against a Modern day Camaro SS. New ones gonna spank the old one but there is a feel and spirit to the old
one that the new one cant replace. It has it's own "soul" and stands on its own.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

depends on the digital camera, some digital cameras are so far beyond film in quality, even better than medium format or 8x10 film

Its easy to get carried away in photoshop, I often have multiple versions of the same image, depending on my mood, I process it differently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot both digital and film and while digital has a lot more options to manipulate the final output, it can't touch the
feel of a real film black and white picture. Some of the most haunting and awe inspiring photos I have ever seen
were done on film. There is a lot of neat stuff on digital but when it gets manipulated too much it takes on too much
of a surreal feel.

For day to day I use digital (I do sports photography for local lacrosse and football). If I want to do portrait or architecture/landscape
I try to use B&W film.

depends on the digital camera, some digital cameras are so far beyond film in quality, even better than medium format or 8x10 film

Its easy to get carried away in photoshop, I often have multiple versions of the same image, depending on my mood, I process it differently.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Our IQ260 is beyond 8x10 film, I'm not saying 8x10 isn't outstanding, because it sure as hell is, but there are cameras with better quality.    I guess we will have to agree to disagree, not trying to pick a fight

Quoted:
They are there for 35mm, close for medium format (still equates out to 35-80 mp) but still a ways off from large format film (200+ mp equivalent)

I do think film has its place that digital will never surpass same as LP's still have some advantages over CD's
kind of like comparing a 1969 427 Camaro against a Modern day Camaro SS. New ones gonna spank the old one but there is a feel and spirit to the old
one that the new one cant replace. It has it's own "soul" and stands on its own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot both digital and film and while digital has a lot more options to manipulate the final output, it can't touch the
feel of a real film black and white picture. Some of the most haunting and awe inspiring photos I have ever seen
were done on film. There is a lot of neat stuff on digital but when it gets manipulated too much it takes on too much
of a surreal feel.

For day to day I use digital (I do sports photography for local lacrosse and football). If I want to do portrait or architecture/landscape
I try to use B&W film.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem, I agree that digital is making advances but film is still tough to beat on the large format side

example  IQ280 is roughly 80 mp, Film 4x5 is 200 mp equivalent, 8x10 is 800 mp equivalent.

Digital is very close but still has a little ways to go.

Now run that film through a typical photo processor and you wont see any where near that, high ends are going to be specialty films done one off in development.

I personally mainly use digital because its just too easy to fix issues as opposed to film and anything that moves is better suited for digital.

Quoted:
Our IQ260 is beyond 8x10 film, I'm not saying 8x10 isn't outstanding, because it sure as hell is, but there are cameras with better quality.    I guess we will have to agree to disagree, not trying to pick a fight

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
of a surreal feel.

I try to use B&W film.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Some nice work in this thread.  

I'm sure I've posted these before.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is it that my computer can convert a color image to a wonderful BW Image, but having my camera shoot in BW mode it's not as good?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is my favorite that I took.

And another.

I was on a contrast kick at the time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I will always be a fan of black skies with bright white clouds
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is my humble attempt. Taken last year at Rhyolite, NV. RAW image processed in Lightroom and then in NIK.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is my humble attempt. Taken last year at Rhyolite, NV. RAW image processed in Lightroom and then in NIK.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/wu5ninff2l2i3cj/NIK_test-1-2%20copy.jpg?dl=0
View Quote

I use the Nik suite as well.  Their HDR and B&W stuff is great.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Black and whites and a black and white in black and white, beat that!

https://americanstudieslaur.wikispaces.com/file/view/watts.jpg/123870825/380x384/watts.jpg
View Quote

LMAO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry so late getting to this thread, I had it tagged to read and enjoy the photos for when I had time. And might I add I'm glad I did. Wonderful photos guys, I wish I had excess to a darkroom again. I've got a lot of 35mm film I developed but never had a chance to see them on paper  I shot a lot of infrared BW back in the day, old barns, deserted farm houses, graveyards and such. That film with with the right subject theme gives it a look all its own.

I wish I could of worked with large format. Maybe someday down the road. some of the work by John sexton I've liked In the past but sadly I've not keep up with good BW now days.

Thanks for posting all the pictures guys
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Crossing by jschneider928, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Londo I really like your picture. When did you take it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Londo I really like your picture. When did you take it?
View Quote
About 1:30, or so, as I recall.

We had just finished a lite lunch of

cucumber sandwiches and tepid coconut water.

The boys wanted a group shot before setting off

on the back nine.

That is, to the best of my recollection. Then again, it

could be bloviation. Hard to say with certainty.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
wife wanted christmas shots of our son, I shot them in color but these are quick conversions I did.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top