Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:13:07 PM EDT

Pitman's Knights of Columbus have flown the Christmas banner between a privately-owned building and a utility pole over Broadway for at least 35 years. The FFRF first began campaigning against it in 2011, saying it was hung without the proper permits.

Johnson said the town only requires permits for flying banners over borough roads, and that because Broadway sits along County Route 553, officials would not ask for a sign permit from any of the various organizations that hang banners in that spot throughout the year. Furthermore, he said, he considered the banner a reflection of his town's Christian roots as a Methodist summer retreat.

The FFRF had planned to outdo itself this Christmas by taking out three billboards in town. In addition to a reprise of last year's Saturnalia sign, the group wanted to add another billboard depicting a wrapped gift alongside the words "Heathen's Greetings" and a third showing St. Nick himself over the phrase "Yes Virginia, there is no God."

Just before Thanksgiving, however, representatives from Clear Channel, which owns all three billboards, said they wouldn't rent the space to FFRF because of last year's repeated attempts to destroy the sign.

In December 2013, an off-duty police officer at a restaurant across the street from the ad spotted two men trying to set it on fire, just a few days after law enforcement stopped a family with an extension ladder from pasting a picture of the Nativity over the Saturn image. The two men who tried to torch the sign were never apprehended.

Andrew Seidel, an attorney with the FFRF, criticized the move.

"The most disappointing thing about it is that it rewards illegal behavior. The people who tried to burn down that billboard now feel justified," he said. "What they're doing is saying if you damage billboards you disagree with, they won't put them up anymore. It's a sad example of people thinking the rights of the non-religious matter less, except this time instead of a town government, it's a corporation."

Barbara Bridge, a vice president of public affairs at Clear Channel, declined to comment directly on the Pitman billboards, but confirmed that the company had pulled the plug on FFRF's ads. She also said Clear Channel had stopped putting posting on billboards in other situations, such as incidences of repeated vandalism.

"I can say that when people graffiti our signs a thousand times we tend to take them down," Bridge said. "It's not cost effective."

Seidel said FFRF did not "consider the issue dead," and expressed frustration that Clear Channel hadn't alerted the foundation to its decision sooner.

"One frustrating thing is they knew about this all year long," he said of the company. "We could've taken a different approach, like a newspaper ad or a spot on TV, if we had known. We're not going to halt until Pitman stops giving Christians preferential treatment."

Johnson, meanwhile, said the downtown banner represented the "spirit of Pitman."

"That's what it was for 40 years before this happened," he said. "And I hope that's what it is for another 40 years."
View Quote

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2014/12/silent_night_atheist_billboard_wont_return_to_pitman_this_year.html
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
"The most disappointing thing about it is that it rewards illegal behavior. The people who tried to burn down that billboard now feel justified," he said. "What they're doing is saying if you damage billboards you disagree with, they won't put them up anymore. It's a sad example of people thinking the rights of the non-religious matter less, except this time instead of a town government, it's a corporation."

I agree.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's see. Atheists put up some billboards.

Christians repeatedly attempt to vandalize.

Owner says Nope, we won't rent them because Christians keep vandalizing.

Something to be proud of there, for sure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
So the Christians are now blading the other cheek at 45...

Good for them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good for them.
View Quote

Yeah.  That's how we do it in America.  If you don't like the message, vandalize private property.  Allahu Ackbar.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably some of them doing it trying to make  Christians look bad. Or some other people
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
*facepalm* at the idea of anti-Christmas billboards in general, and the vandalization of said billboards.

- an atheist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Probably some of them doing it trying to make  Christians look bad. Or some other people
View Quote

Don't worry, I'm sure they're not "real Christians," anyway.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Think they'll see  EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Their billboard, their rules.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
*facepalm* at the idea of anti-Christmas billboards in general, and the vandalization of said billboards.

- an atheist.
View Quote

Yep. Comin from an atheist here... Anyone that errects an antiChristmas billboard is a first class asshole and is missing out on the best holiday of the year. Any Christian that burns down another man's property doesn't deserve to call themself a Christian. When colossal assholes collide.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Christians need to stop being pushovers, good for them and anti-theists can be butt hurt all they want.  Christians can only be fed to the lions so many times before they start fighting back against the haters, because they want to burn the churches next.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Christians need to stop being pushovers, good for them and anti-theists can be butt hurt all they want.  Christians can only be fed to the lions so many times before they start fighting back against the haters, because they want to burn the churches next.
View Quote

What part of getting away with vandalism due to government collusion is being a pushover?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep. Comin from an atheist here... Anyone that errects an antiChristmas billboard is a first class asshole and is missing out on the best holiday of the year. Any Christian that burns down another man's property doesn't deserve to call themself a Christian. When colossal assholes collide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- an atheist.

+1

- a Christian
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm just glad that in this country, the worse a Christian or Athiest can do to each other is have billboard wars.

It's not so pleasant elsewhere in the world.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

I actually agree with this. Keep your shit off public property and dont take any public funds and any denomination is FREE to practice whatever they wish.

However, the vandals are the only ones butthurt, but I suspect due to OP + title this whole thread is trollbait anyhow. Dont feed it, please.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What part of getting away with vandalism due to government collusion is being a pushover?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What collusion?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pitman's Knights of Columbus have flown the Christmas banner between a privately-owned building and a utility pole over Broadway for at least 35 years. The FFRF first began campaigning against it in 2011, saying it was hung without the proper permits
Johnson, meanwhile, said the downtown banner represented the "spirit of Pitman."
"That's what it was for 40 years before this happened," he said. "And I hope that's what it is for another 40 years."
View Quote

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2014/12/silent_night_atheist_billboard_wont_return_to_pitman_this_year.html
View Quote

Pitman Grove, a Methodist Camp Meeting to prevent back sliding during the Summer. What would anyone really expect. I mean the Y's men sell Christmas trees in the park down town.
Yeah, I was raised in Pitman, NJ.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you know it was a Christian who vandalized the billboards? Answer: You Do Not. You make an assumption it was because it suits your atheist narrative.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do you know they weren't Muslims or Hebrews? Did it state that the people defacing the billboards were Christians? That's quite a leap of faith you have going there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I actually agree with this. Keep your shit off public property and dont take any public funds and any denomination is FREE to practice whatever they wish.

However, the vandals are the only ones butthurt, but I suspect due to OP + title this whole thread is trollbait anyhow. Dont feed it, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just find it hilarious.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How do you know it was a Christian who vandalized the billboards? Answer: You Do Not. You make an assumption it was because it suits your atheist narrative.
View Quote

He made "a leap of faith."
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#23]

1) using zoning laws to go after a billboard you don't like is a bitch move

2) attempting to burn down a billboard is way worse

3) ultimately, it's their billboard their rules
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just find it hilarious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just find it hilarious.

I find it sad and a weak attempt to divide during the holidays.

But I may be waaaay off base. If I happen to be wrong, then my apologies
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What collusion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What collusion?

I'm dubious of vigor with which the city pursued these cases.

"In December 2013, an off-duty police officer at a restaurant across the
street from the ad spotted two men trying to set it on fire, just a few
days after law enforcement stopped a family with an extension ladder
from pasting a picture of the Nativity over the Saturn image. The two
men who tried to torch the sign were never apprehended."

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you know it was an atheist conspirator who vandalized the billboards? Answer: You Do Not. You make an assumption it was because it suits your theist narrative.

Or something.

Anyways, it could have been a conspirator, or a Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew, or a Buddhist, or a bored teenager, or an Odinist, or a Hindu, or the wind, etc
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"In December 2013, an off-duty police officer at a restaurant across the street from the ad spotted two men trying to set it on fire, just a few days after law enforcement stopped a family with an extension ladder from pasting a picture of the Nativity over the Saturn image. The two men who tried to torch the sign were never apprehended."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What collusion?

"In December 2013, an off-duty police officer at a restaurant across the street from the ad spotted two men trying to set it on fire, just a few days after law enforcement stopped a family with an extension ladder from pasting a picture of the Nativity over the Saturn image. The two men who tried to torch the sign were never apprehended."  

Yes, conspiracy! !!!  

Tin foil is too tight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How do you know they weren't Muslims or Hebrews? Did it state that the people defacing the billboards were Christians? That's quite a leap of faith you have going there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  Jews and Muslims are notoriously overprotective of Christian holidays.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yes, conspiracy! !!!  

Tin foil is too tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What collusion?

Yes, conspiracy! !!!  

Tin foil is too tight.

There's a difference between a conspiracy and a tacitly accepted pattern of behavior.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muslims don't care for infidels. Since the billboard promoted atheism, it's not inconceivable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah.  That's how we do it in America.  If you don't like the message, vandalize private property.  Allahu Ackbar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for them.

I never said anything about advocating vandalism... They should have found another way to do it, but when anti-Christian groups keep pushing and pushing , well, you're probably gonna see some push back after some point .  Christians take a boot  to the keester every time a Christian holiday or event rolls around.
Hell, every other religion (and non-religion) gets a friggin pass , but not Christianity...don't say it, don't speak it, don't think it, don't have any token/bauble/book or symbol on your person....
and expect a fine, lawsuit or pink slip if you say anything after a sneeze.

Tolerance works both ways.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Muslims don't care for infidels. Since the billboard promoted atheism, it's not inconceivable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  That's because no idea you can think of can be inconceivable.  Interesting you'd use that word instead of "unlikely" or "improbable."

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah.  That's because no idea you can think of can be inconceivable.  Interesting you'd use that word instead of "unlikely" or "improbable."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get all butt hurt because you can't refute it. So sensitive.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There's a difference between a conspiracy and a tacitly accepted pattern of behavior.

View Quote

Prove that it was that.

Or as you would say...

"Cite"
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Prove that it was that.

Or as you would say...

"Cite"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove that it was that.

Or as you would say...

"Cite"

If you're going to crib my lines at least use them properly.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prove that it was that.

Or as you would say...

"Cite"

Are you going to back up your statement or not?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Atheist are worse than Liberals.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah!!

Just last week, I was stopped in the street by two hoodlums, they had switchblades and asked me if I was a Christian. I said "no," and they let me go, but I'm completely certain that there are now roving gangs of atheists out to kill Christians!!!!

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember when atheists passed the Assault weapon ban and Obamacare.

Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

No shit.  How so indeed?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove that it was that.

Or as you would say...

"Cite"

Are you going to back up your statement or not?

http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/thumbnail_photos/2012/October/tinfoil_hat.jpg

When did ARFCOM get a webcam option?

I made a statement *opinion*, which you've snipped out.

Where did I state a *fact* that requires verification?

Like I said, if you're going to do this, at least do it right.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#48]
All the while, agnostics still dont give a shit.

atheist/theist  purse swinging, how droll.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No shit.  How so indeed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

No shit.  How so indeed?

Fellas, why ask a question when you know there is zero chance of receiving a cogent response? It's an exercise in futility.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top