Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.  I plan to start running with mine on in the mornings.  What's the over/under on number of hours or days before the PoPo show up thanks to a call from a concerned neighbor?  lol

P.S.  I'm kidding...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  is probably going to sit in a bag  99.4 percent of the time unless I decide to add weight for a bike ride or shtf

You're doing it wrong.  I plan to start running with mine on in the mornings.  What's the over/under on number of hours or days before the PoPo show up thanks to a call from a concerned neighbor?  lol

P.S.  I'm kidding...

I see a guy run in a plate carrier near work on my day shifts.

That's where I got the idea
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This  is probably going to sit in a bag  99.4 percent of the time unless I decide to add weight for a bike ride or shtf

P.S.  I'm kidding...

It sounds like people jogging in plate carriers is more common in places like Ethiopia versus the typical American suburban with nosy liberal neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It sounds like people jogging in plate carriers is more common in places like Ethiopia versus the typical American suburban with nosy liberal neighbors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S.  I'm kidding...

I imagine so. And orange life jackets as well.

Ordered two last night, got shipping notification this morning.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I love ARFCOM. Ten minutes ago I knew almost nothing about plate carriers or plates. Now I have two on the way and will be watching out for the DSG deal on plates.

but if somebody doesn't shoot me, I'm going to feel like I got cheated
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered 2 and got charged tax to ship to Texas.  They are in Tennessee.  I called and asked them and they said there are a handful of states that they have to pay taxes to for interstate commerce.  Does that sound correct?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just ordered 2 and got charged tax to ship to Texas.  They are in Tennessee.  I called and asked them and they said there are a handful of states that they have to pay taxes to for interstate commerce.  Does that sound correct?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered this morning at 1000, or there abouts. They listed 89 left, so I got one

Checking now, its down to 54 left in stock
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
For $50 kind of hard to go wrong there if you need a plate carrier.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

+1. Although 99% of companies only charge sales tax on internet orders if they have a nexus in that state, any company can elect to collect from any and all states and remit it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I ordered this morning at 1000, or there abouts. They listed 89 left, so I got one

View Quote

Yesterday when the quantity left got under 10 it magically shot up to around 100 left.

This thread is helping their sales on this item significantly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
It was also 10%.  

State tax is 6.25%

Austin's pound of flesh is 2%, so even assuming they added that in, they're still skimming off the top.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yesterday when the quantity left got under 10 it magically shot up to around 100 left.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is the reason I ordered one this morning.    I got the shipping notice and tracking number a few hours ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It was also 10%.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was also 10%.  

State tax is 6.25%

Austin's pound of flesh is 2%, so even assuming they added that in, they're still skimming off the top.
I think you're right about the skimming - but I think it's the whole 10%.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was also 10%.  

State tax is 6.25%

I think you're right about the skimming - but I think it's the whole 10%.
You may very well be right.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
That guy?

I just checked my receipt and sales in Fort Worth.  My tax on the purchase was $4.95.

As broke as I am... I don't have a problem with that. As a Texas resident there is no state income tax. I'd rather pay a reasonable sales tax than an state income tax.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered yesterday and got the shipping notice today and my tax was also $4.95. For those of you looking for affordable armor, AR500 Armor is a site sponsor and seems to have decent prices.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like everyone in TX is getting overcharged by at least 3.75%.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has anyone called the company to inquire about this issue?

CALL!   Telephone.  Talk to a real person for an interactive discussion.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm waiting until my carrier ships before I raise a stink.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reading a couple of Texas state tax sites  8.25% is supported by state regulations.

So the questionable amount is $0.87...

So... a product with MSRP of $200.00 was originally reduced to $69.99... and Black Friday priced down to $49.99

So who feels ripped off?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#21]
My TN tax was $5.55 on a $49.99 purchase. That's 11%. Highest sales tax rate in TN is 9.75%.

I agree its a good deal, but overcharging sales tax is overcharging sales tax.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Reading a couple of Texas state tax sites  8.25% is supported by state regulations.

So... a product with MSRP of $200.00 was originally reduced to $69.99... and Black Friday priced down to $49.99

So who feels ripped off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So who feels ripped off?
It's 6.25% and some locales charge up to 2% more.

The price is fine; it's the principle of the matter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#23]
What if you are 6' 6" tall and 195lbs?  Will this thing fit right?

Also, I'm looking at AR500Armor and see a whole bunch of different cuts/curved/advanced/etc so which would be a good compromise between function and cost?  I doubt I will ever get shot at but you never know
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My TN tax was $5.55 on a $49.99 purchase. That's 11%. Highest sales tax rate in TN is 9.75%.

View Quote

Lucky. My Tn sales tax charged was $5.85. While I have no problem with the product, price, or shipping charge, it appears that the tax rate is made up on the spot. Also, mine shipped from Greenwood, Indiana.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lucky. My Tn sales tax charged was $5.85. While I have no problem with the product, price, or shipping charge, it appears that the tax rate is made up on the spot. Also, mine shipped from Greenwood, Indiana.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think everyone may be able to calm down. They're charging sales tax on shipping as well, which they can certainly do.

$59.98 x my local rate of 9.25% comes to $5.55. War kittens, is your local rate 9.75%, because that's $5.85.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I DID call. I talked to a human. And she told me it was the law to charge sales tax to Texas. She's either complicit or misinformed.  It's the principle of the thing.  I would have rather them added the extra $9 to the sales price, not couch it as a state sales tax.  That's skimming. I'm happy with the advertised price. It's not going to ruin my life, but skimming is skimming.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I DID call. I talked to a human. And she told me it was the law to charge sales tax to Texas. She's either complicit or misinformed.  It's the principle of the thing.  I would have rather them added the extra $9 to the sales price, not couch it as a state sales tax.  That's skimming. I'm happy with the advertised price. It's not going to ruin my life, but skimming is skimming.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the post above yours.   Everything may be legit.   There is no need to be upset when online companies are required to charge sales tax in some cases.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think everyone may be able to calm down. They're charging sales tax on shipping as well, which they can certainly do.

$59.98 x my local rate of 9.25% comes to $5.55. War kittens, is your local rate 9.75%, because that's $5.85.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not calling for torches and pitchforks. Truth be told I don't care about the tax charge. The discrepancy in tax rates makes sense if they are charging on both the price of the product and shipping. In the end I'm happy with the product I received and the price I paid for it. My dad always told me that if those two conditions are met, a man got a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#29]
As i said before, they can most certainly charge sales tax on sales to states they don't have a nexus in. So she would be misinformed. It is not law, but their option.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This seems to be the case, and it seems to be the appropriate policy for TX tax law.  

Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Couldn't resist. I went and ordered two of them. Better to have them and not need them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Couldn't resist. I went and ordered two of them. Better to have them and not need them.
View Quote

Quantity in stock dropped from 45 to 43.    Good job.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]
40 now, 2 in the mail.  Damn it I need to stay off arfcom, it's costing me money
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I need a good plate carrier. Picked one up, just wish it was a different color...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#35]
anyone get one yet? I might have to FO for one..
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife is gonna be stoked. :D
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered one.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
anyone get one yet? I might have to FO for one..
View Quote

Check previous pages.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#39]
The company has the gall to comply with the tax laws FOR YOU and you insist they're skimming?

Is Shipping Taxable? List of states where it is, isn't, and might be.

Texas Use Tax Doesn't matter if the company has a presence or nexus in the state or not, YOU are obligated to pay the sales tax to the state. A nexus adds the obligation that the seller assist the state in enforcing the tax laws.

"All Texans are responsible for paying use tax when they buy taxable goods and services for use in Texas and the seller does not charge Texas sales tax, or does not charge the correct amount of Texas sales tax. Use tax is reported and paid directly to the Texas Comptroller's office."

"does not charge the correct amount" is further described by example of leaving off a city's own 2%. If you're using the product in Houston or Austin, for example, but are only charged 6.25% for the state's part, you still owe the other 2%. People really get their panties wadded up over not being able to continue the crime of tax evasion. I get it, but it's like being pissed off at the cop for a speeding ticket. Vote for raising speed limits, government to do less, and taxes to go down.

Back on topic, anyone have an idea how much a build up coat runs? Looking at a couple CATI sets and the difference between a simple base coat (environmental protection only) and a 1/4" build up coat (frag protection) is about $100, but the base only set is currently on sale. Wondering if it's cost effective to take them to the local Linex or Rhino dealer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Ordered last night and its being shipped currently to my location. Always wanted a carrier and plates so this thread just lit the fire.

Much thanks for the link and Im getting input from a family member in LE for plates.

Also taking in all the info from ARFCOM members in the know.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]
They are down to 26 in stock.  Will inventory go back up once it gets to single digits?

Stay tuned for another episode of "ARFCOM buys all the inventory."
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I hope these will fit a skinny guy because I fent. I need to block myself from buy this threads, amazon threads, and amazon.com at least until next year.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
got one for my wife... I will let you folks know how well it fits on someone packing heat up top.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sux, but true... a number of states have tax compacts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ordered last night and its being shipped currently to my location. Always wanted a carrier and plates so this thread just lit the fire.

Much thanks for the link and Im getting input from a family member in LE for plates.

Also taking in all the info from ARFCOM members in the know.

View Quote

The definitive thread on plate carriers and their setup:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/342310_Plate_carrier_thread_____This_is_NOW_a_post_pics_of_your_Plate_Carrier_THREAD___.html
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks op for the heads up, that is a cheap carrier.  At that price everyone on ARFCOM should own one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I foed on one. This is my first plate carrier and the start into body armor. For $50 from what everybody says this a steal. The color don't bother me. Gonna go read the plate carrier thread now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Is it just me or is black an odd color for a desert nation?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is it just me or is black an odd color for a desert nation?
View Quote

I believe at least one of their uniforms are black with white rank/name/ insignia patches

http://saudi6666.deviantart.com/art/Saudi-Royal-Guard-384883445
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Only 9 in stock now.
There were over 170 when I bought mine a week and a half ago. Trying not to buy a second.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top