Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2014 10:01:10 AM EDT
Nissan Armada
Cadillac Escalade
Chevy Tahoe
Toyota Sequoia

We're looking for something that will seat at least 7 people so that rules out midsize SUV's. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator.  Just got re-freshed.  They come in an XL long wheelbase size, too.
See Car & Driver, which picked Expedition over Tahoe.
Also, the Exporer can seat driver + 6, there is a usable 3rd row.

Then there is the ultimate people mover: http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitvanwagon/?gnav=header-trucks

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Expedition, Tahoe or Sequoia.

Whichever one you get the best deal on or have a good dealer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Chevy Suburban.  The Tahoe isn't gonna do well with 7 and bags and such.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Full size? Suburban... 2002 Suburban kept my mom safe during two different incidents. Thank Jesus for that big truck! It's pretty much finally given up the ghost after two totaling events.

Agree with the guy above, Tahoe has no storage room. Suburban seats 9 including driver, plus a full rear for storage/bags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a Lincoln Navigator we love.  It's an upscaled Expedition and a little more refined and less ghetto than an Escalade, IMHO.  To paraphrase Patton, "Son, only a pimp in a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would drive an Escalade".

Plus, Matthew McConaughey loves Lincolns.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My 2014 Pathfinder Mallfinder seats 7 very comfortably.  2wd, AWD and fo by fo as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Oops, I just saw "used" in the title.  Doh.

The previous Expedition/Navigator was competent but getting dated.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Suburban.

Tahoe with a 3rd row leaves no space for stuff.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Dad of 5 here (11, 9, 7, 6, 3)

2004 Suburban is current family ride (capt chairs in middle row).  
Works Ok for us, but its evident that we need a larger vehicle for all to ride comfortably in.  
Hoping for a large family-type van when we can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Sequoia without question.  It will last longer.

ETA ...and have better resale value.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator.  Just got re-freshed.  They come in an XL long wheelbase size, too.See Car & Driver, which picked Expedition over Tahoe.Also, the Exporer can seat driver + 6, there is a usable 3rd row.

Then there is the ultimate people mover: http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitvanwagon/?gnav=header-trucks

View Quote

The XL's are awesome!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad has a Sequoia. He hates it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 5 kids. And a yukon denali.

If you want 7 and think you will be going on trips , i say go suburban.

No room for bags and such. I have a Thule on top for some extras and tents and bags etc.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, if you don't mind funky styling, good deals can be had on Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT.  Some think MKT is ugly, but who cares, it is nice on the inside!

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive got a Tahoe, fits 5 very comfortably, with pup and luggage, but if you're looking for 7, I'll also chime in for the Suburban the new 2015 body style is amazing IMHO, the new Tahoes and Suburbans look great.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My dad has a Sequoia. He hates it.
View Quote

Why does he hate it? Mechanical issues?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#17]
We got a Honda Pilot a few months ago and really like it. It has 3rd row seating so you can seat 7 and it folds down. Though if you need seating for 7 adults it might not work out as that 3rd row doesn't afford a lot of leg room. Even with the 3rd row up you have a bit of room for a load of groceries, etc. too.

ETA - There's a thread today about the top 15 cars to avoid and the Armada made that list, I didn't look to see specifics as to why.

ETA2 - Out of your list, I'd go with the Sequioa as well. Everyone I've ever met that has one has loved theirs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Used? My wife's Trailblazer XLT 5.3 has 3ed row seating. Gets around 21-23mpg hwy. Only one inch shorter wheelbase than the Burb and has a great ride. You could snag a nice one for literally beer money compared to your other choices. Check out nice used long wheel base Envoys and Raniers too. They are based on the same Trailblazer mechanicals.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Hennesey Raptor SUV.

Seats 8

Awesome SUV but pretty pricey. A guy can dream though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Suburban or van, if you want any cargo space.  I like my Tahoe and its been reliable for 270k+ miles now, but I don't have a 3rd row seat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Just took delivery on a 2011 Armada yesterday, been great the 16 miles we've driven it.

I also have a 2008 Titan with 160k on it (same frame, engine, trans, etc). I've been very pleased with that so I figure the Armada shouldn't be too far off the mark.

The Sequoia was another option for us, but the SR5 trim level we looked at seemed very, very cheesy. I noticed this as well back in 08 when I was shopping for my pickup truck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Ive had my 2010 Sequoia for going on 5 years now.

Never had a problem , and I can drive it with 1 thumb and 1 toe. Very easy to drive.

It rides and handles like the day it was new.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I have only test driven the Toyota so I can't really help you with that (not impressed at all with the Sequoia).  I have owned Expedtions and Suburbans.  If you are primarily looking for a highway hauler and a mall crawler than go with the Expedition EL.  If you need more of a truck., I would suggest the Suburban.  The Expeditions have a better third row seat set up that not only folds flat but is also comfortable.  I see that you are looking for used and so the third row seating in the Suburbans built before the 2015 model do not fold flat and they are a pain in the ass to remove from the vehicle when the space is needed for hualing something.

Yes, the smaller Tahoe, Sequoia, and Armada will seat 7 people but they will not seat 7 people AND their luggage.  In my opinion, your only options are the Expedition EL or the Suburban.  I currently have a 2008 Suburban z71 and it has been a good truck that suits my needs.  I have owned two Suburbans and two Expeditions.  Both are good vehicles.  If I did not have a history of off-road use, I would have the Expedition EL.  The Suburban has an auto-locking rear differential and has better off road capacity.  The Expedition has better highway manners and is easier to live with for a family.  

My parents just purchased a 2015 Expedition Platinum and they also currenlty own a 2014 Navigator EL.  They are really nice vehicles but they just don't provide the off-road capability that I want.  I plan to replace my 2008 suburban  with a  2015 Suburban Z71 next year.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for a Suburban
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nissan Armada
Cadillac Escalade
Chevy Tahoe
Toyota Sequoia

We're looking for something that will seat at least 7 people so that rules out midsize SUV's. Thanks in advance for the replies.
View Quote

Of those, I'd get the Sequoia.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Suburban
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We have a Lincoln Navigator we love.  It's an upscaled Expedition and a little more refined and less ghetto than an Escalade, IMHO.  To paraphrase Patton, "Son, only a pimp in a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would drive an Escalade".

Plus, Matthew McConaughey loves Lincolns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eN9u5N2Q4

View Quote

We found one that my wife likes but it's about 10 hours away in Reno, NV.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Out of the ones you have listed, I would go with the Sequoia.
You say used, but don't mention what years / mileage / budget you are looking for. I usually suggest a Land Cruiser against the Sequoia because I feel you can get more for around the same money if you go a couple years older and a little more mileage. Budget and year/mileage expectations changes a lot for these vehicles.

If you are actually looking at having 7 people in it often, anything will feel small. You will want some sort of storage solution for any sort of trip.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Out of those go for a 1. Armada or 2. Tahoe. Both are reliable and will serve you well. The Sequoia is a decent vehicle as well but they are over priced due to the Toyota cult following.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm fond of the Tahoe and Yukon, but feel that if you're gonna be seating more than five on a regular basis you're better off with a van.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Tahoe or Escalade after '09.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chevy Suburban.  The Tahoe isn't gonna do well with 7 and bags and such.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ive had my 2010 Sequoia for going on 5 years now.

Never had a problem , and I can drive it with 1 thumb and 1 toe. Very easy to drive.

It rides and handles like the day it was new.
View Quote

This...i've got 110K on my 2010 Sequoia with no issues.  I'm 6'4", and can sit in the 3rd row bench comfortably.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#35]
In for info
I have another kid on the way so im looking for something bigger then our Xterra.

I was thinking a 2010 to 2013  2500 Sub if I can find one in 4x4
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm fond of the Tahoe and Yukon, but feel that if you're gonna be seating more than five on a regular basis you're better off with a van.
View Quote

It's gonna be my wife's vehicle and she hates vans. We'd prefer it be 4wd, but not a deal breaker. We won't be seating more than 4 on a regular basis. Maybe if we go out of town and both our daughter's boyfriends go with us it'll be six of us. Or when my brother in law's kids come and stay a few days we'll take them to San Diego or LA. It's three of them so including both our kids it would be seven of us. Another thing to consider is that we want it to fit in the garage and a Suburban won't fit because my tool box and work bench are in the way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Similar situation.
I started a thread in team
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/1686175_Mercedes_GL_450_or_Lexus_GX_460__.html
asking about 7 passenger SUV (mercedes vrs lexus)

We are now looking at Navigator versus Escalade
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We won't be seating more than 4 on a regular basis. .
View Quote

You won't need the Suburban...........IMO buy what fits for your 'everyday' needs not what if's...I'd prolly go for the Sequoia, had 2000-plenty of power and room.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nissan Armada
Cadillac Escalade
Chevy Tahoe
Toyota Sequoia

View Quote

tahoe. great truck, I have owned a few.

FWIW, the armada was recently rated in the 15 worst vehicles. think it got #5
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
My family has already outgrown our Xterra (and there are only 4 of us), so I'm also looking for a large SUV.  Someone tell me about used Navigators.  They seem really inexpensive, have nice interiors, and lots of space.  Are they garbage mechanically (reliable)?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Out of those go for a 1. Armada or 2. Tahoe. Both are reliable and will serve you well. The Sequoia is a decent vehicle as well but they are over priced due to the Toyota cult following.
View Quote

Armada is absolute shit in terms of reiablity.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#42]
If you are usually carting around 4, I would go with the Lexus GX460 without a second thought.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a 2013 Tahoe LTZ and you won't get 7 people in unless they are children and even then the third row has no leg room. For 7 people you need a Suburban.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had three Suburbans, and I loved them all. I'm in a  Tahoe now, and I love it, I average 14 mpg, compared with the 7 or so I was getting in the 3/4 ton big block Burban, but I miss the roominess of the Burban for beachdriving with buddies, hauling firewood, and carrying tools.
 My Hoe is a 2003, and I would recommend it since you don't think you need a Suburban.

ETA Tahoe because this.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Find you a diesel Excursion
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I was in the same boat. There really are only a few choices and they are the Ford/Lincoln or Suburban.

I went with the Ford EL and love it, but it is no were near as refined as the Suburban. I do drive mine off road and it seems very capable for what I do with it.  The nissian and toyota offerings just are not in the same league, I would avoid them.

I will be trading mine in for a Expedition EL-Eddy bower next. I want that as you get the more comfy air shocks on the rear. My current limited feels more like a Corvette suspension.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Suburban / Excursion /Expedition

all have their design quirks all are good solid vehicles
like any machine all will require maintenance
fords break down less often but when they do seem to be more expensive to repair
gm's nag you to death with frequent maint issues but are pretty cheap and easy to fix

If you go the GM route avoid the 4l60e aka the passenger car transmission in a 4ton vehicle

ETA: Escalade is a useless body package on a tahoe AKA a lot of damn $ for a 1/2 chevy pickup
unless you need to ride 24's and have the bass thumpin go with the Chevy/GM offering with the junk in the trunk : suburban
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

fords break down less often but when they do seem to be more expensive to repair
gm's nag you to death with frequent maint issues but are pretty cheap and easy to fix
View Quote

Awesome avatar, bro! That was a few towns over from me. Epic video.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever happened to old karate  kid kop
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty sure the explorer with the third row of seats will seat 7.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top