Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/28/2014 11:49:20 PM EDT
They're Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 converted into target rifles by Carl Gustafs and Norma Precision. Everything about that sounds awesome.

Wiki stock photo-

How the hell have I never heard of these?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one.
View Quote

Well, go on....
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, go on....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.

Well, go on....

They're very common here, and are easily sub-MOA.

The barrels are stainless steel, and many were built from M94 actions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like they are selling for around $700.00 at auction.

Sounds like a lot but if you try to buy just the sights to upgrade a mil-surp it will cost near half that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sounds like a lot but if you try to buy just the sights to upgrade a mil-surp it will cost near half that.
View Quote

They're usually around 200-300$ here.

The target shooting crowd has mostly replaced them with the Sauer 200 STR, so there's plenty of CG-63 and CG-80 floating around.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I approve of this message.
I have One also.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The target shooting crowd has mostly replaced them with the Sauer 200 STR, so there's plenty of CG-63 and CG-80 floating around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Country of origin guns are often like that. Valmet comes to mind.

I'm picking-up a Bonehill Martini-Henry MK II .22 conversion this morning. In the UK they are cheap. Though I'm getting it for $150.00 (about the UK price) they run around $500.00+ here in the US because they are hard to come by and also a antique.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm picking-up a Bonehill Martini-Henry MK II .22 conversion this morning. In the UK they are cheap. Though I'm getting it for $150.00 (about the UK price) they run around $500.00+ here in the US because they are hard to come by and also a antique.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Most ARs are around 3K here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]
These might also be of interest to you. They are quite common in this country and well regarded. One of the military versions would be nice, but I expect they command a massive premium over the relatively affordable civilian model.

Norway also did calibre conversions on the K98 rifle, keeping them in original military configuration. Really nice shooters.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Always wanted one but my regular mil. surp Swedes do so well I could never see the reason to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Always wanted one but my regular mil. surp Swedes do so well I could never see the reason to buy one.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I would love in of those.  
I love an iron sighted rifle
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I buy some... Uhh... Machine parts?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.

Well, go on....

Would you happen to have a target from one of your shoots? I love the caliber and if it's as good as you say, I might put the feelers out for one in the coming year...
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Would you happen to have a target from one of your shoots? I love the caliber and if it's as good as you say, I might put the feelers out for one in the coming year...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.

Well, go on....

I don't have any pictures, but I can keep all shots within a 12cm circle a 300m.

I mostly use it for hunting though. It's an excellent deer gun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of Scandinavian target shooting, what do those people who use Norwegian Krags for the Stang and field speed shooting competitions use to reload quickly?  Looks like a charger of some sort but I can never get a clear view when watching those competitions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
wtf thats cool.  I want one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Speaking of Scandinavian target shooting, what do those people who use Norwegian Krags for the Stand and field speed shooting competitions use to reload quickly?  Looks like a charger of some sort but I can never get a clear view when watching those competitions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of Scandinavian target shooting, what do those people who use Norwegian Krags for the Stand and field speed shooting competitions use to reload quickly?  Looks like a charger of some sort but I can never get a clear view when watching those competitions.

I don't know. Krags are generally used in Norway, we almost never see them here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Been looking for a good target .22. Fell in love with an older Kimber, but they are high dollar too. Ended up getting a Savage Mk II FVT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Been looking for a good target .22. Fell in love with an older Kimber, but they are high dollar too. Ended up getting a Savage Mk II FVT.
View Quote

Buy a Kimber from the CMP
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the Danish version built on a German K98 receiver. Tack driver.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't have any pictures, but I can keep all shots within a 12cm circle a 300m.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.

Well, go on....

I will use either  my Swedish M-38 short rifle or the Norwegian M-1912 Krag for hunting.  6.5x55 is a good round for white tails around here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't the rimfire thread you're looking for.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They made .22LR versions as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]

You see lots of these wonderful rifles here.  My friend, Clint has one and it shoots very tight groups.  The Swedes will regret letting these go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Today, I managed to get my hands on this thing just long enough to put a box of ammo through it-

I'm guessing this is a M1896 long rifle.

I'm pretty impressed, even before taking into consideration that this is a 109 year old milsurp. The action was pretty smooth, and the trigger was good. I suppose the sights weren't my favorite, and I found it odd that the lowest distance marking is 300m, but they're still effective.

Shooting conditions were very informal and less than ideal. I was shooting from a picnic table, and my target was a campaign sign. I was aiming at letters; I didn't have targets to attach to it. It was cold and gusty, and the sign was blowing a bit. I still managed to shoot holes touching and near touching groups.

I don't know what kind of velocity I was getting from the 139gr PPU, but the recoil was very pleasant.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I want one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't know. Krags are generally used in Norway, we almost never see them here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not into of Norway?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't want to hijak the thread to much. But I always wondered what y'all's carry, possession, firearms law
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Norway is the last Soviet state.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don't want to hijak the thread to much. But I always wondered what y'all's carry, possession, firearms law
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry is may-issue, and almost non-existent.

You can own virtually anything, but you have to give a "valid reason" for it. These reasons include hunting, target shooting, collecting, and memorabilia.

Licences for full auto and handguns have to be renewed every five years. Firearms have to be stored in a approved safe.

Since you have to give a reason for why you need a gun, it gets progressively more difficult the more guns you already have. Suppressors can be owned for some hunting rifles, but not all.

Scary looking guns are banned for hunting, but sometimes they slip through anyway.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ten years ago Sarco had a bunch of those rifles for sale.
View Quote

How do you like yours?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our former Minister of Commerce was caught on tape saying that, and the Norwegians were really butthurt about it.

It's true though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Today, I managed to get my hands on this thing just long enough to put a box of ammo through it-

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/1905SwedeMauser_zps56bf7b71.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/1905SwedeMausertop_zps0053873e.jpg

I'm guessing this is a M1896 long rifle.

I'm pretty impressed, even before taking into consideration that this is a 109 year old milsurp. The action was pretty smooth, and the trigger was good. I suppose the sights weren't my favorite, and I found it odd that the lowest distance marking is 300m, but they're still effective.

Shooting conditions were very informal and less than ideal. I was shooting from a picnic table, and my target was a campaign sign. I was aiming at letters; I didn't have targets to attach to it. It was cold and gusty, and the sign was blowing a bit. I still managed to shoot holes touching and near touching groups.

I don't know what kind of velocity I was getting from the 139gr PPU, but the recoil was very pleasant.
View Quote
I have one of those, back when there was a surplus available.  Probably Big-5 score

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I regret selling my M96 infantry rifle with SA stamp. A moment of weakness, forgive me for I have sinned.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Well screw it.  This thread is already mostly derailed so..... I know it is not a target rifle but it is a CG Swede.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well screw it.  This thread is already mostly derailed so..... I know it is not a target rifle but it is a CG Swede.  

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd484/ericdowneast/IMG_1449_zps5c028254.jpg
View Quote

Carbine?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#41]
For $200-300 I would be hot to get one.  But for $700 there are other rifles I would consider first.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're out.

At least they don't list them on the CMP site anymore.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I had one. Very attractive gun. Paid $800 OTD at a local shop, came with a shitload of brass and two very nice slings, along with a few other extras.

I sold it for the same not long after. Nice gun with very light recoil and seemed extremely accurate, but it just really wasn't my thing, and at the time finding 6.5 projectiles was like pulling teeth.

There are apparently a lot of "fakes" floating around in the US of them. The normal "tell" for that seems to be a stepped barrel under the handguard instead of the heavier cg63 profile.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For $200-300 I would be hot to get one.  But for $700 there are other rifles I would consider first.
View Quote

LOL.

$200-300 doesn't usually get you a standard Swede any more, much less one of these.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had one. Very attractive gun. Paid $800 OTD at a local shop, came with a shitload of brass and two very nice slings, along with a few other extras.

I sold it for the same not long after. Nice gun with very light recoil and seemed extremely accurate, but it just really wasn't my thing, and at the time finding 6.5 projectiles was like pulling teeth.

There are apparently a lot of "fakes" floating around in the US of them. The normal "tell" for that seems to be a stepped barrel under the handguard instead of the heavier cg63 profile.
View Quote

Anything more obvious externally?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's not a lot of documentation but there are some helpful fellows here and on the C&R boards.

The big problem I gathered with CG63s is that there are typical ones- your normal Carl Gustav reworks- and all manner of others, and even some modified by smaller companies and smiths, and so on. Mine for instance was on a husqvarna receiver, which was unusual but not incorrect, and some of them lack the rune on the receiver, which is also unusual but not incorrect, and some of them have one sort of sight and some the other and so on. There isn't a "correct" sight of course but I suppose somebody might try and throw some random diopters on a gussied up normal one anyway... mine were Soderin and I've also seen Elit, and I know there are other sights as well that are somewhat common on them.

I was cautioned by several sources when I started looking into CG63s and they relayed hearing of standard swede mausers just tossed into CG63 wood and sold as such. It's pretty obvious to tell if you take the furniture off, of course- a big difference in a 63 barrel and a normal one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I did some searching, and I found myself reading a couple of Gunboards threads written by an apparently knowledgeable Swede. His English is a bit tough to read, but there's a lot of info.

Some info on the 63:

The targetshooting-rifle Carl Gustaf 62 is a modernized version of Mauser-rifle m/96. The system of the receiver and the firing mechanism has been kept, while the barrel and stock have been changed.

The change of the barrel consist mainly of an alterated external dimension, which has been increased from a diameter of 17,5 mm to 19,0 mm as well as an alteration of twist lead from 200 to 220 mm.

The stock, in which the barrel lies free, has been shaped in an modern way with a cheek-rest, a suitable curved pistol grip with a filling for the right hand, knurled cutting on both pistol-grip and fore-end and also provided with a hand-guard. The rest in the stock for recoil projection has been strengthened by a steel insertion and a through bolt.

The only alteration to the Mauser-system are knurled underside of the trigger-guard, grooved trigger and all parts of the bolt black oxidized.

The rear sight has been taken away and is assumed to be replaced by some type of diopter e.g. the Elit-diopter, the Söderin-diopter et.c.

A shortened striking length has not been introduced as the saving of time obstained (abt. 2/1000 sec.) does not outweight the loss of the possibility to adjust the weight of trigger pull of a worn rifle to 1,7+-0,2kg., (the risk of a misfire requires an increased striking power at a shortened striking length).

Data:
Weight of rifle without sling and unloaded 4,3 kg
Length of rifle (=G m/96) 1260 mm
Length of barrel (= G m/96) 739 mm
Lead of twist 220 mm
Diameter beetwen the lands 6,51 mm
Diameter between the grooves 6,73 mm
Width of the lands 3,2 mm
Weight of trigger pull (pressure point) 1,7+-0,2 kg
Bolt and its parts black oxidized,
straight bolt handle
Trigger grooved
Knurled underside of trigger guard
Butt with cheek rest
Pistol grip with filling for right hand
Butt plate of bakelite
View Quote

For those who don't mind some reading-

CG-63 thread: LINK

CG-80 thread: LINK
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Those have an 8.6" twist? How interesting...
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does that twist rate mean for this caliber?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ahead of it's time?  The Krieger 5R blank I used in my 6.5x55 rifle is 8.5" twist.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top