Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 9:13:18 PM EDT
Hello GD,

I was just gifted an iPad for my birthday (regular size not mini) and was wondering what iPad cases people are using. I've had a Magpul case on my iPhone 4 for years now and was considering one for my new iPad but I want to know what else is out there. Since the iPad doesn't fit in a pocket I suppose bulk isn't a deal-breaker.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one but I always admire the saddleback leather covers when I see'em
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't Otterbox or Lifeproof (same people now) make something for them that is pretty resistant to everything?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on how abusive you are to them. I have a Griffen survivor or something like that that is a nice sturdy case. I drop my iPad all the time and it takes a licking. That said, I just bought 2 otterbox defenders for my kids minis that I bought them for Christmas so I can get my iPad back. They are a little more sturdy. Best buy had them on sale now. Life proof are waterproof I believe plus shock resistant. If you are gentle on them a magpul will be fine. If you want something classy, a saddleback one would be really nice.  I have a wallet from them and it is bombproof
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Speck DuraFolio on my iPad Air.  It is slim and has military-grade protection with a textured finish.  I really like the magnetic cover for auto sleep/wake.  That said, I keep Otterbox Defenders on the iPad minis that my kids use because these do withstand more abuse.  I've never tried the Lifeproof or Griffin cases on my iPads so I can't speak for these.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't Otterbox or Lifeproof (same people now) make something for them that is pretty resistant to everything?

View Quote

Yes. I'm using it now.  Have had for over a year now.  Uses an o-ring to seal to display glass for waterproofiness. Is bulky, but offers good protection.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the Apple leather case. When I take it boating I use the lifeproof case.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the Otterbox for mine. While I've had it for a few years and it's kept the iPad in great shape, it does let in dust and the rubber (silicone??) outer cover keeps stretching out. To the companies credit, they have sent me free replacements.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
None.  Why spend money to make something thicker and heavier after spending a lot of money to get something thin and light?  The over four year-old iPad I use nearly everyday has only a tiny crack on the screen.z
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got the Otterbox for mine. While I've had it for a few years and it's kept the iPad in great shape, it does let in dust and the rubber (silicone??) outer cover keeps stretching out. To the companies credit, they have sent me free replacements.
View Quote

And its tough to remove. Cut myself pretty bad against a corner while prying it off. Wtb qd levers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Griffin Survivor All Terrain.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a Clam Case.  It has a Bluetooth keyboard and a hard outer shell.  While it is a bit bulky and makes my iPad look more like a tablet, it's nice to use and protective as hell.  I've dropped it a few times and not scratch on my iPad.  It can also fold back so it can be held like a tablet.  I use it that way when reading on my Kindle app.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Another vote for Griffin Survivor.

Had one on a mini for a couple years now. Clumsy girlfriend, two wild ass grandchildren and me. I also had to use their customer service one time. Very impressive people run that show.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

None.  Why spend money to make something thicker and heavier after spending a lot of money to get something thin and light?  The over four year-old iPad I use nearly everyday has only a tiny crack on the screen.z

View Quote
This.  Instead of a $100 case, buy a $100 warranty from squaretrade that covers accidental damage and use no case or use one of the apple smart covers.  An ipad will handle a lot of abuse short of dropping it on concrete even without a case.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top