Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I almost adopted this one. She was the sweetest thing ever. Also I don't fit any of these stereotypes
<a href="http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/sigp250/media/79c3dc9d-4a2f-48c7-9d71-97227960794e_zps79bbc8c6.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b506/sigp250/79c3dc9d-4a2f-48c7-9d71-97227960794e_zps79bbc8c6.png</a>
View Quote

Do it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I almost adopted this one. She was the sweetest thing ever. Also I don't fit any of these stereotypes
<a href="http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/sigp250/media/79c3dc9d-4a2f-48c7-9d71-97227960794e_zps79bbc8c6.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b506/sigp250/79c3dc9d-4a2f-48c7-9d71-97227960794e_zps79bbc8c6.png</a>
View Quote

That is a beautiful dog, looks kind of like my boy Jake.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've always thought people who own pitbull dogs are attention seeking wimps that walk around being pulled down the street by an animal that they hope intimidates people. Kind of like open carry people.
View Quote

Your an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it.
She was adopted by someone else

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
While it's way too easy to list the stereotypes, I do tend to think about pitbull owners like I do toy dog and Prius owners, they all seem to be trying to make a statement.  I'm cool, trendy, badass, etc.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The only pit owned in the immediate area near me is a 2 month old one owned by a man/family of the following characteristics:

Sheriff's Deputy
Big guy, ~6'3", 220-230-ish
Black
Newly Married
Young child at home
Does not swear
Very professional
Animal lover who can't help but take in unwanted animals
Rents home
Gun lover, but I question his safety.  He once handed me his .308 bolt action to examine.  When I checked the chamber, a round flew out.
His two dogs have a habit of getting out and wandering the neighborhood, getting into trash, etc.

I like the guy.
I really hope I don't have to shoot either of his dogs. I'll do my utmost to contact him if I run into issues-- once.

Yeah, I know... irony.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
That's like saying all African Americans are lazy.... Not all pits are evil, Not all pit owners are bad people...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While it's way too easy to list the stereotypes, I do tend to think about pitbull owners like I do toy dog and Prius owners, they all seem to be trying to make a statement.  I'm cool, trendy, badass, etc.....
View Quote

Just like everyone who owns and AR right?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
They usually fall into 2 categories

People who are who are too irresponsible to own a dog but get one anyways which inevitably ends up at the pound with all the rest of the pit bulls

People looking to adopt a dog and give it a good home

Nevertheless, they usually smoke Marlboro's
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I always just thought it means I own a pit bull. I could be wrong though
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.

That's a bummer for you. But there are lots of pits that need rescuing find another.
We love ours, he really is an amazing family pet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
If ignorance is bliss, this thread is full of blissful people.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
i have a pit bull, shes a mix though, i rescued her from a shelter and she is the sweetest dog i ever had.
you guys shouldn't have such prejudice against the type of dog someone owns,
look at the owner, not the dog
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your an idiot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always thought people who own pitbull dogs are attention seeking wimps that walk around being pulled down the street by an animal that they hope intimidates people. Kind of like open carry people.

Your an idiot.

Ironic post is ironic.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm all for helping any animal, especially shelter dogs that need a good home.  The problem with pits is why do they suddenly snap?  I know any dog can, but it seems to be a trend with Pits.  I always disliked them and then my daughter rescued one as a puppy.  She took good care of it, walked him, played with him, got all his shots.  I started to really like this dog and would go in the yard and play with it myself.  One day it just snapped and killed her cat in an instant.  That was the end of her Pitbull days.  I'm sure there are some really good ones, but I just don't trust them myself.   In my 50 years we always had dogs and cats.  Never had a dog kill a cat though.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Small Penis dog. That's what I tell my wife every time we see one walking its owner.
I know its a stereotype and not all Pit Bulls are like that but all I ever hear is about the "bad" Pit Bulls.
I would bet most "bad" ones were tormented beyond their limit and snapped. Lets face it, that can happen with any dog and the aggressor person didnt walk away. In other words they ignored the warning signs from the dog and got what they deserved.
I'm like my dog (Basset hound), I'll put up with your crap and give you fair warning then look out!
Most people I see walking their Pit look like they have something to prove.
Maybe their dick is small and they feel inadequate?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They like dogs?
View Quote

+1,000,000

I am floored that ANY gun owner would have a negative impression of someone who owns an item that can be deadly.

Amazing
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ironic post is ironic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your an idiot.

Ironic post is ironic.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i have a pit bull, shes a mix though, i rescued her from a shelter and she is the sweetest dog i ever had.
you guys should have such prejudice against the type of dog someone owns,
look at the owner, not the dog
View Quote

Wasting your breath. These threads always bring out the "know what's best for society", closet progressives.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1,000,000

I am floored that ANY gun owner would have a negative impression of someone who owns an item that can be deadly.

Amazing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They like dogs?

+1,000,000

Amazing

Dog is a living animal with a mind of its own, guns are inanimate objects that require someone with a mind to make them work?

I used to work with a pitbull rescue, and I have nothing against the breed, but I do have a big stereotype about those that "rescue" pitbulls.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dog is a living animal with a mind of its own, guns are inanimate objects that require someone with a mind to make them work?

I used to work with a pitbull rescue, and I have nothing against the breed, but I do have a big stereotype about those that "rescue" pitbulls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They like dogs?

+1,000,000

Amazing

You think that people who want to ban things like pitt bulls or guns ar any different?  Lmfao
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
there's a small chance they are friends with michael vick
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You think that people who want to ban things like pitt bulls or guns ar any different?  Lmfao
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They like dogs?

+1,000,000

Amazing

Where did I say I want them banned?

This thread is about perception of owners, and I've only expressed an opinion on my perception of owners, from my personal experience.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They like dogs?

+1,000,000

Amazing

And what would that stereotype be?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
My sister adopted a homeless pitbull and also has a lab. She's a successful business owner, sends all her kids to private schools, etc... She loves that dog and pampers her, and her lab. They are both wonderful, goofy dogs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
If you can't impress people based on your personality and accomplishments, you get a pit bull and try to intimidate them.

That or they suffer from the Lion Tamer's Syndrome and try to show the world they can play with fire and not get burned.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I will type slow so you understand slims

People have negative impressions of pitt bulls.  They let emotions drive them to ask for laws to ban them,

Many people that do not like guns have negative impressions of weapons.  They let emotions drive them to ask for laws to ban them.

Get it?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]
If you can't impress people based on your personality and accomplishments, you get a pit bull and try to intimidate them.

That or they suffer from the Lion Tamer's Syndrome and try to show the world they can play with fire and not get burned.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#29]
That person is a Connoisseur of breeds of peace.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Small Penis dog. That's what I tell my wife every time we see one walking its owner.
I know its a stereotype and not all Pit Bulls are like that but all I ever hear is about the "bad" Pit Bulls.
I would bet most "bad" ones were tormented beyond their limit and snapped. Lets face it, that can happen with any dog and the aggressor person didnt walk away. In other words they ignored the warning signs from the dog and got what they deserved.
I'm like my dog (Basset hound), I'll put up with your crap and give you fair warning then look out!
View Quote

Lol.  This is an epic troll thread.  Well played OP, well played.  

And to porkboy, you get a big ol' facepalm
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my experience working at a rescue, most of the families we adopted dogs to were specifically looking to adopt a pitbull. They wanted that breed, to prove that there is nothing wrong with the breed, and it's an owner issue, not a breed issue.

They wanted that breed because it gives them a status boost when they can show that a breed isn't bad, it's the handlers that are bad.

Seeing them come back to adoption events to tout their breed, their as arrogant as any other breed specific rescue group.

I'm probably jaded working in the pet industry too long, but the majority of pit owners I know have them purely because it's a pit, and having a good pit boosts their status in their circle of friends, and makes them look better to outsiders for having a good pit, when the media says they are all bad.

Their mindset is the same as those in the ghetto who get them because they want to be known as having the best fighter, or just want to look tough. For them, the breeds a status symbol, and that's why they want that breed.

It's all about status, and the symbols and items needed to get there.

ETA: This is all my personal experience from the group I worked with, which is a small field in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Pitbulls are highly correlated with neck tattoos.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess I need 3 of them then.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want the Chiefs Arrowhead logo tattooed on my neck, but I want a Jack Russell or a Beagle for my next dog.

Where should I relocate tattoo location to, so that I fit with inky perceptions of breed?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#35]
They like APBT's?

A buddy of mine used them to hunt hogs for the national park service, he kept one of the girls who was medically "retired". It was a great dog. Fucking hated pigs, but as long as you weren't a pig you were ok.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#36]

To clarify:

I don't want them banned.  I want owners to 1.) Keep them restrained. or 2.) suck it up if it gets put down.

Since this thread is eventually going to go there....

I don't want to ban your dog.  It is your right to have it, just like my right to own guns.
I am responsible to not allow my guns to be handled/operated unsupervised.  It is your responsibility to insure that your dog is restrained and supervised.

It is not my responsibility to:
a.) know the temperament of your dog.
b.) know how to handle/approach your dog
c.) allow your dog free-reign of my property
d.) call you when your dog wanders my property
e.) allow your unrestrained dog to come within the distance to become a potential threat to me, my wife, my child, or anyone else under my care.
f.) enlist any less-than-lethal methods to deter your unrestrained and/or unsupervised dog becomes a potential threat.

If you can't understand the above, you do not understand rights and responsibilities.  And you likely shouldn't have a dog.

We've had two children mauled in my neighborhood due to unrestrained and unsupervised dogs-- a 3 year old and a 5 year old.  It will NOT happen to my 3 year old son.

I have had unrestrained/unsupervised dogs caught on my game cameras wandering all through my land-- one even shitting in one of my deer plots.  I didn't buy land, pay property taxes, and spend thousands on land improvement and food plots to have it ruined because you can't keep your dog on your own property.

I don't throw my guns on other people's property and create potential threats.  I expect the same from owners of dogs.  And I say this as a dog owner and dog lover.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Thank you for this gif! rofl
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In my experience working at a rescue, most of the families we adopted dogs to were specifically looking to adopt a pitbull. They wanted that breed, to prove that there is nothing wrong with the breed, and it's an owner issue, not a breed issue.

They wanted that breed because it gives them a status boost when they can show that a breed isn't bad, it's the handlers that are bad.

Seeing them come back to adoption events to tout their breed, their as arrogant as any other breed specific rescue group.

I'm probably jaded working in the pet industry too long, but the majority of pit owners I know have them purely because it's a pit, and having a good pit boosts their status in their circle of friends, and makes them look better to outsiders for having a good pit, when the media says they are all bad.

Their mindset is the same as those in the ghetto who get them because they want to be known as having the best fighter, or just want to look tough. For them, the breeds a status symbol, and that's why they want that breed.

ETA: This is all my personal experience from the group I worked with, which is a small field in the grand scheme of things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough I can see that. We went to a rescue event actually looking to get a "regular" breed as we already own a pure bred Rottweiler.

But we saw Max and he was just a sweet goofy boy so he's family now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allow me to make a few suggestions: $, Jesus praying, and some phrase along the lines of "only God can judge me" or my personal favorite "bitches b scandalous"
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I want the Chiefs Arrowhead logo tattooed on my neck, but I want a Jack Russell or a Beagle for my next dog.
Where should I relocate tattoo location to, so that I fit with inky perceptions of breed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure, my buddy with a Jack Russell have sleeves so maybe start there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#41]

pit bull/boxer mix, probably has a little skeerdy cat in her to...great dog. I do have tattoos though
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Allow me to make a few suggestions: $, Jesus praying, and some phrase along the lines of "only God can judge me" or my personal favorite "bitches b scandalous"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, considering you're a NYer I'll stick with my "Thanks for your tax dollars that pay my pension" neck tattoos.
ETA: Screen name is appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fair enough I can see that. We went to a rescue event actually looking to get a "regular" breed as we already own a pure bred Rottweiler.

View Quote

I won't knock anyone for taking a dog in a hopeless situation in, I was just responding to the idea of the thread, and have nothing bad to say against you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Yet another Pit-bull thread that is chalk full of ignorance and just plain ol' stupid.

Yay GD!  

How could someone go to a rescue, see this little fella, and not take him home?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I know two people with autistic kids who have found pits a great match. Dogs are loyal, calm and tolerant of tactile contact that would have lesser dogs biting.

Evil pitbull and violent owner
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I won't knock anyone for taking a dog in a hopeless situation in, I was just responding to the idea of the thread, and have nothing bad to say against you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I know you weren't bad mouthing me. It is interesting to hear someone's perspective that has actually worked in PB rescue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#47]
The pitbull is also the #1 stolen dog around here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Gee, I've never seen this tactic used by anyone before.

It's so new and fresh that I'm sure you'll have great luck with it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Have met some quality pit bulls, and then some that were just as big shitholes as their owners.

The sweetest pit I knew was an unfixed male, who was quick pals with my cousin's lab/dalmation female. He was so submissive to her that she would mount him when they played. Super friendly and gentle dog.

Regardless, many pit enthusiasts seem to conveniently forget all about the history of dog breeding when advocating for their breed. Pit bulls/american terriers/whatever were bred for aggressive behavior, especially now that a lot of them come specifically from lines of fighting dogs. Those traits can manifest themselves through unexpected triggers.

Pit fans? Their response to this often boils down just to "nuh uh."
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check your head.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top