Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Shitbirds from UW literally lied to get in the door when I was a VP for a DoD contractor. They had mailed some shit before and I had been routed their calls a few times to end up never to be returned in my voicemail. Figured they'd eventually disappear as we were an organization that didn't force shit on people, were all very conservative as a group and if we didn't call you, chances were we don't need to hear from you.

Some time later, I get a call from the front desk saying Mr. Whatever is here for his 1030 appointment with you and specifically told her my name and that he had an appointment. She called me confused because appointment calenders were shared and kept by our admin staff and there was nothing on mine for this. Instead of letting them back because I had no idea who it was, I went up front and didn't introduce myself but asked if I could help them and who they were here to see. The guy, flanked by some huge black chick, looked down and read my name totally fucking my last name up. When I didn't immediately reply he asked....is he no longer with the company? - what an idiot move there pal.

I told him who I was and that I've never spoken to him nor arranged an appointment with him in my life and to explain himself as to why he had lied and mislead people in an attempt to gain access to a secure DoD site (part of our IT lab area/suite and an on-demand server suite required a specific clearance to access, but I made it sound like it was the entire building). He went from smug to realizing he just royally fucked up and wanted to pretty much leave right there. Tried to hand me his card and some brochure and shit and I just stared at him while he held it out and told him to get out.

Never heard from those shitbirds again. Ironically, I found out a guy that worked there had a wife that worked a Outback Steakhouse Corporate (this is in Florida) and she got extorted from them each year.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At a former employers UW donation day consisted of getting brought into the lunchroom for a mandatory meeting.  Everyone was given a donation card while they did their little dog and pony show.  The whole time we had UW staff and our managers hovering over us as we filled them out.  When you finished and started getting up someone would rush over to get the card from you and take a look at it.  If you put $0 they would ask you aloud if you were sure you didn't want to contribute.  That is a fucking guilt trip and shaming.  Fuck them.

Our local UW was dumping huge amounts of money into a group that was supporting and fighting for "rights (government handouts)" for illegal aliens.  That group eventually folded when a whole lot of money turned up unaccounted for.  One of the heads ended up doing some jail time and it really hurt UW donations and for good reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys must have a different United Way than we have here.  I even served on our BOD for 8 years and participated as campaign chairman a few years.  Why the UW hate?

Seemed to me to be a way to support several worthly local organizations with donations that people WANTED to direct towards charitable work, rather than government handouts.

At a former employers UW donation day consisted of getting brought into the lunchroom for a mandatory meeting.  Everyone was given a donation card while they did their little dog and pony show.  The whole time we had UW staff and our managers hovering over us as we filled them out.  When you finished and started getting up someone would rush over to get the card from you and take a look at it.  If you put $0 they would ask you aloud if you were sure you didn't want to contribute.  That is a fucking guilt trip and shaming.  Fuck them.

Our local UW was dumping huge amounts of money into a group that was supporting and fighting for "rights (government handouts)" for illegal aliens.  That group eventually folded when a whole lot of money turned up unaccounted for.  One of the heads ended up doing some jail time and it really hurt UW donations and for good reason.

Yup.

5 years at UPS and I was pressured almost every time in a similar way.   Hourly got it, went part time management and it was even worse.   Last year I was there I was not in the mood and had epic short timer mentality.

Anyone ever comes after me like that and I will take that form into the bathroom to leave it where it belongs.   They can fish it out if they want it that bad.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
They make us return ALL of the extortion envelopes.

Each year I send them an itemized invoice that adds up to 100 bucks and details how they have wasted my time and what they owe me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My envelope went into the trash. Same as every year.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thankfully, they don't do the United Way thing.

We do have our own corporate charity thing, they'll send E-mails every now and then and talk up what they're doing. I don't give (look, it's great that you want to help the survivors of the latest earthquake and send food. You're even going to give up the corporate jet so it can shuttle the food down. Just don't ask me to pay for the gas.).

They -DO- have a shakedown solicitation for the corporate PAC that's pretty well non-voluntary. I haven't had to donate yet - you have to be at a certain level of management, above that it's pretty much mandatory, below that, it's not even allowed. I don't like it, but I'll donate, because it's the price of the promotion (and the extra $$ that come with it).
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not giving jack.
Not in 1992
Not today
Not ever
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I am at no loss, I dont seem to ever remember dealing with these people.  I start a new job Dec 1.

so you have to give x amount of money to be 100% of what.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I respond by hitting the delete button or directed the form to the round file. I prefer volunteering or direct giving. The coercion and culture associated with the campaigns makes me want to puke.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And how much of the individual's contribution end up actually going to the "worthly" charity after you take your cut?  50%?, 20%, 10%, 1%?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys must have a different United Way than we have here.  I even served on our BOD for 8 years and participated as campaign chairman a few years.  Why the UW hate?

Seemed to me to be a way to support several worthly local organizations with donations that people WANTED to direct towards charitable work, rather than government handouts.

And how much of the individual's contribution end up actually going to the "worthly" charity after you take your cut?  50%?, 20%, 10%, 1%?  

(Crickets)  Must have been a tough question
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
When the guy showed up last year in his suit that looked like it cost a mint, I asked, who pays your salary? What did that suit cost & what kind of car do you drive?

He refused to answer & that caused some of my co workers to say wtf?!

Double fuck the United Rape!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep, and we're expected to all return our extortion envelopes because we're a 100% company.

I have thrown my envelope in the trash after tearing it to a dozen pieces every year I've been there.  Somehow we're still a 100% company.

It's all bullshit.
View Quote

Lol, same thing at my job, even if we dot elect to donate, they want us to put 0 on the envelope and turn it in so they get "credit" for it. I do the same thing you do, with the same result.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just say that your charitable activity comes in the form of time and labor not money.
View Quote

Mine comes in the form of the MASSIVE checks I write to the IRS every quarter. I've been happy to explain that to United Way, and other, people who attempt to suck more out of me.

Go talk to Obama. He has my spending money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am at no loss, I dont seem to ever remember dealing with these people.  I start a new job Dec 1.

so you have to give x amount of money to be 100% of what.
View Quote

As mentioned in another post, the 100% participation thing is "bragging rights" for the company big wheels. Another feather in their cap, so to speak.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was with a particular large company we were all shook down.  Had the company "campaign" meeting then individual "two over one" (boss & his boss vs me) sessions.  They had your payroll info, pre-printed donor cards, and the payroll deduction authorization forms ready to go.  You were not allowed out until you signed.  

The only way out was to sign, then you had to try and undo it all on your own later.

Management was patting themselves on the back for 100% participation.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, while I can't "forbid" my wife from contributing, she knows how I feel about them and don't really care for them herself. She does not conrtibute. They do however succeed in upsetting her pretty good for a day or two (at which point it boils over into my life) They basically call everyone in a meeting and try to shame those who don't wish to contribute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, and we're expected to all return our extortion envelopes because we're a 100% company.

I have thrown my envelope in the trash after tearing it to a dozen pieces every year I've been there.  Somehow we're still a 100% company.

It's all bullshit.

Yeah, while I can't "forbid" my wife from contributing, she knows how I feel about them and don't really care for them herself. She does not conrtibute. They do however succeed in upsetting her pretty good for a day or two (at which point it boils over into my life) They basically call everyone in a meeting and try to shame those who don't wish to contribute.

Fuck that. What type of field does she work that they do that?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is what I used to do:

Got to the extortion meeting loaded for bear. Like the salaries of the UW managers.  Then I ask how much on average does this company give each year? Then I bring out the salary data and state that this company contribution only pays for x amount of the salaries.

Then ask Why should we pay all this money to "charity" just to pay your salary?

This tactic usually goes over well.

Go here for salary data

EBR666

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's all bullshit.
View Quote
Same story here, I was actually threatened.  You don't live in Milwaukee do you?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My firm strongly suggests donating but they'll match 25% of your donation amount to the charity of your choosing.  Sent some money to Fisher House.
View Quote

I'd donate in a job like that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He already posted that it was less then 10%.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I was with a particular large company we were all shook down.  Had the company "campaign" meeting then individual "two over one" (boss & his boss vs me) sessions.  They had your payroll info, pre-printed donor cards, and the payroll deduction authorization forms ready to go.  You were not allowed out until you signed.  

The only way out was to sign, then you had to try and undo it all on your own later.

Management was patting themselves on the back for 100% participation.
View Quote

Nope. Would not. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all bullshit.

She works at a nursing home making $9/hr
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#23]
They haven't been to our place, but they aren't invited or welcome, so that makes a difference.  We have our own little "helping others" program.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#24]
The old boss was big on it but I never gave. Since he retired they haven't been around. I don't think the current boss is a fan.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]
My company does the website, each year I log in & say no thanks, so I guess we are 100%
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So how does the scam work?  Does the company get a write off for the amount they strong arm off of the employees?
View Quote

The company is named as a 100% contributor. They think that others care..no one does except U.W.

FBHO and F U W
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I interviewed for a job with a large utility company once.  I was told that I could have the job, but only if I contributed to the United Way.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close to 90% in our community

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I refuse to acknowledge either.  I literally tear it up and throw it in the trash.  One time they sent me a second one and I did it again.  

It's impossible for us to be 100% because I do not give nor do I acknowledge them, but somehow we're still 100%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all bullshit.

My company too, we're not expected to donate, but they expect us to log into a website and say no.

I think it's more like 100% acknowledgment, not necessarily donations.

I refuse to acknowledge either.  I literally tear it up and throw it in the trash.  One time they sent me a second one and I did it again.  

It's impossible for us to be 100% because I do not give nor do I acknowledge them, but somehow we're still 100%.

My company does this as well and this year, just like last...I did absolutely nothing with the envelope.  Raises have been crushed for the last few years, although I got an "exceeds expectations" and got 4% in June.  Management continues to award themselves thousands upon thousands of "bonus compensation" every year whether they have met goals or not, but don't mind handing us pleabs these damned envelopes.

I guess they think we will support United Way's huge bonuses too.

I had enough a long time ago.  They get nothing.  I'd rather work a soup kitchen Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I donated 1 time each to UW and CFC when I was a young private in the USMC and didn't know any better.

When I got educated by the next cycle for each, I steadfastly refused, even under threat of non-judicial punishment in the Marines and subtle threats from civilian bosses after the military.

The civilian bosses were told to bring it on, I have the name of a good labor attorney (and still do); the Marine bosses called me a fuckin hard-head and moved on to the next victim.

My current employer doesn't participate in UW.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I had enough a long time ago.  They get nothing. I'd rather work a soup kitchen Sunday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My company too, we're not expected to donate, but they expect us to log into a website and say no.

I think it's more like 100% acknowledgment, not necessarily donations.

I had enough a long time ago.  They get nothing. I'd rather work a soup kitchen Sunday.

At least that actually helps the less fortunate, give to UW and 80% goes to saleries and 20% to those who need! Work the soup and 100% of your effort helps people!

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Back in the 90's the UW, along with my foreman, wouldn't let me leave until I committed to a regular payroll deduction.

I wasn't making much more than minimum wage and my wife was six months pregnant. They didn't care. They wanted my money.

Fuck the United Way.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sounds like the overwhelming majority here has had bad experiences with UW. Rather than fan the flames further, I'm going to bow out.  To those that do donate, thank you!  To those that don't, I respect your decision and wish you well.
View Quote

Yep.

If you think they're cool maybe figuring out why their name is mud among certain segments would be useful.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep.

If you think they're cool maybe figuring out why their name is mud among certain segments would be useful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like the overwhelming majority here has had bad experiences with UW. Rather than fan the flames further, I'm going to bow out.  To those that do donate, thank you!  To those that don't, I respect your decision and wish you well.

Yep.

I don't put all the blame on the UW, I think they hype the hell out of it to companies but the company and management team holds a lot of the blame when coercion is used and some go WAY beyond the ethical boundaries of requesting that employees donate.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]
We have it at my place as well - It just ended.

Didn't have the money this year as I just started there and just moved. Had I had the money I would have contributed a few without an issue.

I just don't like the feeling like I'm "marked" for not contributing though.. especially since I just started there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I never knew the UW could be so coercive or that employers could be such jerks about it. Publicly naming people for not contributing?

As I mentioned earlier, my company is starting something with Habitat for Humanity and I told my big boss I will have nothing to do with it. Today I was asked why by a couple of coworkers who witnessed conversation with boss. I told them that I can't afford to buy a home in our area due to high cost of living/property taxes. An apartment works decently. Why should I work my arse off for someone to get a house that they wouldn't be able to otherwise afford? Many people in previous generations have rented their entire lives. There's no shame in renting if you can't afford to buy.

No one had an answer to that.

ETA: I donate directly to people I know to be in need.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#37]
When I worked for UPS they would come hit us up. I remember one year I said not I did not want to be a part of it but someone signed me up anyway... and they were taking $5 a week from my check.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Our annual drive is in September. I never donate but the company wants to get 100% involvement. We consistently get 40-50% involvement. In a plant where most people live paycheck to paycheck they're mostly wasting thier time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I never knew the UW could be so coercive or that employers could be such jerks about it. Publicly naming people for not contributing?

As I mentioned earlier, my company is starting something with Habitat for Humanity and I told my big boss I will have nothing to do with it. Today I was asked why by a couple of coworkers who witnesses conversation with boss. I told them that I can't afford to buy a home in our area due to high cost of living/property taxes. An apartment works decently. Why should I work my arse off for someone to get a house that they wouldn't be able to otherwise afford? Many people in previous generations have rented their entire lives. There's no shame in renting if you can't afford to buy.

No one had an answer to that.

ETA: I donate directly to people I know to be in need.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  The bigger the organization the bigger the skim.   Keep it direct and local.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all bullshit.

Damn. Yeah, fuck that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close to 90% in our community

And how do you calculate that?  Give us some real numbers for a year please.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#42]
The United Way... it's kinda like Union Dues.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I tell them to go fuck themselves
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I think I might be the only one in my Division who doesn't give them one penny.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When I worked in industry, the boss would call each person into his office, and inform each one that the laboratory would be participating 100% during the current year.

It occurred to me that there were two ways to get 100%, so I ponied up.

ETA: Fuck United Way.
View Quote

I spend all of my working career in a similar environment.    Retired now, so I don't have to deal with the THUGS shaking everyone down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Damn. Yeah, fuck that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all bullshit.

Damn. Yeah, fuck that.

Yeah, granted, she is among the lowest paid in the joint (activity dept) but nobody there is making a real decent wage, not even the RN's IMO. They still shake the money tree though, bare as it may be.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top