Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hope you're being deliberately obtuse.  And if you are, it's not cute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So glad my employer has an in-house charity for employees based on things like bake sales instead of UW.

At a former employer I was astonished how threatening HR got if you didn't contribute to UW.

If your HR threatened you for not contributing you need to be taking legal action.  That information is confidential and cannot be used in a retaliatory nature.  The only thing they should know is if you returned the form.

I hope you're being deliberately obtuse.  And if you are, it's not cute.

Sounds like youa re delibrately being a jerk.  I'm trying to add some actual counter points to some of the earlier posts.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I refuse to acknowledge either.  I literally tear it up and throw it in the trash.  One time they sent me a second one and I did it again.  

It's impossible for us to be 100% because I do not give nor do I acknowledge them, but somehow we're still 100%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, and we're expected to all return our extortion envelopes because we're a 100% company.

I have thrown my envelope in the trash after tearing it to a dozen pieces every year I've been there.  Somehow we're still a 100% company.

It's all bullshit.

My company too, we're not expected to donate, but they expect us to log into a website and say no.

I think it's more like 100% acknowledgment, not necessarily donations.

I refuse to acknowledge either.  I literally tear it up and throw it in the trash.  One time they sent me a second one and I did it again.  

It's impossible for us to be 100% because I do not give nor do I acknowledge them, but somehow we're still 100%.

And that is your decision, and perfectly fine.  Your company considers your decision not to turn in the form as a response btw.  :)
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Again, speaking for our UW, we don't.  If you know who you want to support, do it direct.  There are many that don't have a favorite organization, so chose to use the UW as a way to make sure their $$$ are put to good use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys must have a different United Way than we have here.  I even served on our BOD for 8 years and participated as campaign chairman a few years.  Why the UW hate?

Seemed to me to be a way to support several worthly local organizations with donations that people WANTED to direct towards charitable work, rather than government handouts.

Because forced giving isn't charity. And I had a manager who sounded just like you (You're not Ralph, are you?). He accused me of being a "cheap skate".
I challenged him to bring in last year's tax return. I said "I'll bet I have more charitable deductions than you".
He wouldn't take the challenge...

Nope, I'm not Ralph.  :)

Being forced to contribute is something I'm not familiar with either.  By being forced, do they physically threaten you or otherwise make you contribute?  Or are they like many employers that give you a form and allow you to fill it out with whatever donation you wish to provide (which for many folks is $0)?

I'm sure there are some corrupt UW's out there, so not defending all of them, just saying that there are a number of legitimate honest UW's that do a pretty good job of supporting local organizations that provide some important services in the community.

Like Boys & Girls Club, Red Cross, Meals on Wheels, Senior Citizens center, etc.

Why does the UW think I need them to give to a group of my choice?

Again, speaking for our UW, we don't.  If you know who you want to support, do it direct.  There are many that don't have a favorite organization, so chose to use the UW as a way to make sure their $$$ are put to good use.

The UW knows how many businesses twist the arms of employees to ''give.'' It's why they hand out pre printed donation cards [gee thanks employer for handing over my info to an outside group], usually have a meeting that the company states is mandatory, and usually has some kind of food so we can be made to feel guilty that others may not have a meal. Then, if you don't give, often you get a follow up about why you haven't turned in your donation card, sorry, the UW knows what happens and is complicit. They also will put out which company donates 100% which put pressure on the company to push employees to give.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the overwhelming majority here has had bad experiences with UW.  Rather than fan the flames further, I'm going to bow out.  To those that do donate, thank you!  To those that don't, I respect your decision and wish you well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and we're expected to all return our extortion envelopes because we're a 100% company.

I have thrown my envelope in the trash after tearing it to a dozen pieces every year I've been there.  Somehow we're still a 100% company.

It's all bullshit.

My company too, we're not expected to donate, but they expect us to log into a website and say no.

Your boss probably knows this and saves himself a headache by sending in something for you
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
They have toned down a little bit here the past two years. We used to get a UW person that would come into work and beg but now the forms just get handed out at a quarterly meeting. When I first started I was young and dumb and donated but wised up a little bit the year after when they started offering "incentives" to donate more than the previous year.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all bullshit.

I worked for a company that was a 100% company.

Never stroked a check to the United Way - but I would write a check payable directly to the organization that I wanted to donate to and mail it to the organization.

I would put a marked photo-copy of the check in the United Way envelope and turn it in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There's always one.

View Quote

Yup, and you're IT!    
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Every year a flyer winds up in my mailbox and emails in my inbox. I shred and delete them immediately.
As long as they support the local inmate advocacy group I can't support them
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

They donate a dollar in your name ..... you gave wether you wanted to or not.

Kind of like when someone bought an anti-gun politician an NRA Membership ...... for at least a year that politician was a member of an organization he hated, like it or not.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR DONATION !!!  

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So glad my employer has an in-house charity for employees based on things like bake sales instead of UW.

At a former employer I was astonished how threatening HR got if you didn't contribute to UW.
View Quote

Former employee should have filed a grievance with HR.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like the overwhelming majority here has had bad experiences with UW.  Rather than fan the flames further, I'm going to bow out.  To those that do donate, thank you!  To those that don't, I respect your decision and wish you well.
View Quote

I don't mind hearing the other side. Most of my beef is with how certain things are phrased, things the national has done in the past [CEO's having work done on their own personal property, think that was twice] and that they have amassed way to much political clout which I do not like in most charitable groups. I also don't like how businesses pressure employees when it comes to the UW and I don't like some of the groups the UW donates to. Yes, what you give can be earmarked but that doesn't mean that that group will receive even one dime more then they would have gotten anyways unless enough people earmark funds to said same group.

I've met some very nice people at the local level and I think the locals can be very different from area to area.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because forced giving isn't charity. And I had a manager who sounded just like you (You're not Ralph, are you?). He accused me of being a "cheap skate".
I challenged him to bring in last year's tax return. I said "I'll bet I have more charitable deductions than you".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys must have a different United Way than we have here.  I even served on our BOD for 8 years and participated as campaign chairman a few years.  Why the UW hate?

Seemed to me to be a way to support several worthly local organizations with donations that people WANTED to direct towards charitable work, rather than government handouts.

When I started working in the corporate world in the late 70s, UW contributions were handled via payroll deductions, and every year the managers got a list of who gave (and obviously who didn't).  In my department, not giving resulted in a one-on-one with your manager, and it was strongly implied that not being on the giver list could be a factor in promotion decisions.  Almost everyone caved in, but there were always a few holdouts.  To address that, we were told we would be going on UW agency tours "to get a better feel for the benefits of UW" until there was 100% giving.  So we went to Lighthouse for the Blind, etc every year at campaign time.  Yeah, it was paid time and we got a free lunch, but we were still pissed about it.  Eventually we were able to get the company to enable employees to sign-up for a permanent payroll deduction and be largely excluded from all the campaign crap.  Over time the pressure diminished somewhat, but it was clear this was all coming from the CEO and his desire for bragging rights with his peers at other companies in town.  Even after all these years, I despise UW.  They know what's going on, and should be screaming at companies to not make it anything other than a private, personal decision.  The fact that they don't says it all.  UW can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My job offers me a vacation day for contributing, and I'm allowed to choose the Boy Scouts to receive my money. It works out for me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like that.

Log out and back in.

Happy Thanksgiving!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. Just shook my head when they tried to give me the extortion envelope. Told them I was saving for a membership here instead. Got the stinkeye over that one.

I like that.

Log out and back in.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow! Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Just say that your charitable activity comes in the form of time and labor not money. I've put in time for Habitat, Big Brothers, coached and volunteer as a firefighter/emt.

Any outfit that raises money like they do is probably full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I just don't get the attitude that this is somehow a valuable or necessary service.
If all these assholes who think they are entitled to the wages I earn would just let me have it all, I would have no trouble finding the time or drive needed to get myself to the offices of the charity of my choice where I could give them whatever amount of money I though was appropriate.
Much like .gov types at any level, these people (UW, CFC, etc.) simply know that by becoming the middle man for any cash transaction- it is very easy to skim a little off the top for yourself.  
It's a fucking scam, don't get all indignant when I call you on it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#20]
No, they never come. Don't know why, but maybe we're too small. They're doing something with Habitat for Humanity, though, and I essentially told my big boss that I will have no part of it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same to you, Ralph...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just don't get the attitude that this is somehow a valuable or necessary service.
If all these assholes who think they are entitled to the wages I earn would just let me have it all, I would have no time finding the time or drive needed to get myself to the offices of the charity of my choice where I could give them whatever amount of money I though was appropriate.
Much like .gov types at any level, these people (UW, CFC, etc.) simply know that by becoming the middle man for any cash transaction- it is very easy to skim a little off the top for yourself.  
It's a fucking scam, don't get all indignant when I call you on it.
View Quote

It's like payroll taxes, if you don't ever see it, it's easier to get people to contribute and keep contributing. Many groups are going to, or trying to go to auto deductions so one only has to agree to a deduction once and the group can receive donations as long as there is money in the account.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yep, they push it real hard at my workplace, too, along with other left-wing stuff like "Community Shares".

I have refused to give UW a penny after they sold out the Boy Scouts; instead, I contribute directly to my local troop and cut out the middleman altogether.
View Quote

Good! That way a lot more of your donation goes to them instead of being 'filtered' through numerous paid employees that don't actually have anything to do with the charity.

And I'm 100% sure your local troop appreciates it a lot more too.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If your HR threatened you for not contributing you need to be taking legal action.  That information is confidential and cannot be used in a retaliatory nature.  The only thing they should know is if you returned the form.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how is everything else in fairytale land?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn that used to piss me off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The catch is the UW supports charities that I won't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The catch is the UW supports charities that I won't.

I was our shop steward for the first year we could specify which charity we wanted to support.  Everyone filled out their cards for where they wanted their money to go.  I met with the UW staff to turn in the paperwork and watched him throw the cards in the trash in front of. me.  He said, " We decide where the money goes."  Oh hell no....!!!  Never again will they get a penny from me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
my wife says they post peoples names of who does not donate at work....wife flips them the bird and donates to her own charity during the holidays
View Quote

That's BS!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's all bullshit.
View Quote
That was Sept for us, no one filled them out. The committee girls ended up coming out into the plant and had us at least put 0 donation.

Wanted 100%!

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My wife said that the United Way hasn't been there trying to extort yet this year. Are they late or is she just lucky this year? I hate them and hope her employer told them to piss-off (though I doubt it)

View Quote

Not only have they shown up where I work, we lost 4 parking spaces in a parking lot already too small for winners of some stupid raffle. Yet HR is comfortable with people parking in the handicap spots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a lot of good folks helping others through the UW. It's just some of the nonsense that goes on in the workplace and the political leanings of the UW rub folks the wrong way.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#31]
They always hit us up at the start of the year. The first two years I gave just for the tax write off, then I realized it wasn't worth the tax write off so that was the end of that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Somehow, I ''forgot'' to go to the extortion meeting this year and instead, drove to my first jobsite.
View Quote

I just sat at my desk.  I know the spiel, I've seen the sob-story videos.  I still don't care.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Its never going to happen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the quaint and old-fashioned notion that I can decide to whom my money goes, all by myself, without any help from those who would give it to organizations which I choose not to support.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
They come every year
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local UW threatened to cut off funds to a charity I was a board member of unless several people approved by them were placed on our board.I'll never give to the sorry bastards.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't realize how scammy they were and I pledged some money.  1 dollar per paycheck.  Sorry guys.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Our Plant Manager used Christmas music as a weapon this year to meet the United Way goal.  Played it non-stop over the loudspeakers until the goal was met.

It took four days.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My former employer it was very very high pressure of you didn't give.  We had 4 hours total of meeting (what a waste of time especially since it didn't count towards our 40).

I caved in and gave $40.  And was then scolded by HRS about how little that was

I took a "sick" day the next week as compensation.
View Quote

Fuck that noise. I always clocked in if I had to listen to any kind of shit.

Your boss fucked you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell me how much of every dollar contributed makes it to a real charity.

I agree. They screwed over the Boy Scouts over admitting homos so they are dead to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Every year I worked for FedEx they tried to get everyone to participate.  

I liked donating to our local Y.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't contribute to any of that bullshit

The federal and state .gov takes thousands from me every year in taxes, that is my fucking contribution
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all bullshit.

WTF
None Donation Registration
BS
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
United Way is a scam as is Combined Federal Campaign.
View Quote

Yep. That shit is tarded
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Management at UPS was horrendous at the united way shit.

Pretty sure I got passed up for advancement because of it.    Used to donate like 11 bucks and would only write a check after i felt Igot my 11 bucks of entertainment out of making management hound me for it.

Fuck them, UPS and United Way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
United Way is a scam as is Combined Federal Campaign.
View Quote

Agreed.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

And how much of the individual's contribution end up actually going to the "worthly" charity after you take your cut?  50%?, 20%, 10%, 1%?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When I worked in industry, the boss would call each person into his office, and inform each one that the laboratory would be participating 100% during the current year.

It occurred to me that there were two ways to get 100%, so I ponied up.

ETA: Fuck United Way.
View Quote

We would donate $1 and payroll deduct it.

They stopped coming around after that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

At a former employers UW donation day consisted of getting brought into the lunchroom for a mandatory meeting.  Everyone was given a donation card while they did their little dog and pony show.  The whole time we had UW staff and our managers hovering over us as we filled them out.  When you finished and started getting up someone would rush over to get the card from you and take a look at it.  If you put $0 they would ask you aloud if you were sure you didn't want to contribute.  That is a fucking guilt trip and shaming.  Fuck them.

Our local UW was dumping huge amounts of money into a group that was supporting and fighting for "rights (government handouts)" for illegal aliens.  That group eventually folded when a whole lot of money turned up unaccounted for.  One of the heads ended up doing some jail time and it really hurt UW donations and for good reason.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top