Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 6:48:13 PM EDT
Short version - my older brother died last thursday, a local friend of his got worried when calls not returned, went to his house knocked, saw car in driveway, looked around the house, saw in bedroom window my brother laying in bed, not responsive, calls police, they get into house and confirm brother dead. Police contact me yesterday. Shit, he just retired last year and now drops dead.

Here is the setup - brother was divorced for over 30 years, ex-wife dead, our parents are dead, has a son that he has not seen in over 20 years and last time he had contact with his son, the son told him he was changing his last name to match the man who raised him and didn't want anything to do with him. About 5 years ago my brother hired a private detective to try to find his son, the son was never found. I'm the only remaining family he has.

What other efforts can I do to find the missing son? How long should assets be held for a son that may never be found?

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know whether you brother was a good father or not based on that but it shouldn't matter. The son chose to leave and even change his name so why make the effort to track him down? He made his decision.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know whether you brother was a good father or not based on that but it shouldn't matter. The son chose to leave and even change his name so why make the effort to track him down? He made his decision.
View Quote

This

Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you are the heir, if that is what you are asking
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry for your loss.

If he has a will or trust, go by that.  If not and you are the last remaining relative around, work through probate and keep the money for you and your family.

eta:  Is he local to you, or out of state?

Eric  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, I am sorry for your loss.

As far as finding his missing son, the only idea I can come up with is to try to find out what he changed his last name too. Maybe by finding someone who knew the man or your brothers ex-wife and go from there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Sorry to hear
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If there's not a will or estate plan of some sort you'll probably end up in probate court.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I would give it some effort, but I wouldn't spend a ton of time either.

When my great uncle died we found out that he had a daughter that no one knew existed.  My dad made contact with her, and she seemed to appreciate us letting her know, and hearing what type of man he was.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sorry for your loss.

If he has a will or trust, go by that.  If not and you are the last remaining relative around, work through probate and keep the money for you and your family.

Eric  

View Quote

No will of course and not local - I'm in El Paso, TX and he lived in Phoenix, AZ. I'm driving up after turkey day to get started on whatever needs to be done.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As far as finding his missing son, the only idea I can come up with is to try to find out what he changed his last name too. Maybe by finding someone who knew the man or your brothers ex-wife and go from there.
View Quote

My brother really tried to find him, with the changed name, the SSN would not have changed, it's like he just disappeared from this planet. I've got my kids on it now, going through social media channels to see if they can get anything.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My brother really tried to find him, with the changed name, the SSN would not have changed, it's like he just disappeared from this planet. I've got my kids on it now, going through social media channels to see if they can get anything.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Condolences. I see your present in my future.

I'm sure you'll find the kid in short order. The world is pretty small these days.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the support guys, it has not even sunk in yet, I'm sure it will when I go through his house this weekend. The medical examiner said he probably died on thursday of last week, body was not found/removed until yesterday, it's not going to smell good in there is it?

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Sorry to hear about your brother.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to find his son.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks for the support guys, it has not even sunk in yet, I'm sure it will when I go through his house this weekend. The medical examiner said he probably died on thursday of last week, body was not found/removed until yesterday, it's not going to smell good in there is it?

View Quote

Probably, but you never know. Take some vicks vaporub with you. A little under your nose will help.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I am sorry for your loss.

I don't know what legal requirements there are, if any, for you as an "heir" to basically become the executor of his estate if he had no will.  Basically, to be blunt, if there is any sort of life insurance pay out and say you were listed as the sole beneficiary, I am not sure you are legally  on the hook to settle any of his debts or other financial affairs.

Again, sorry.

EDIT:  if there is to a regular funeral with a burial and casket, you could be looking at a $8,000 to maybe even $15,000 bill.  Sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive.  Just an FYI...

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm sure you'll find the kid in short order. The world is pretty small these days.

Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I really hope so. I want to find the son, he would be in his thirties now. Thing is - sure I could use the money, but don't really need it. Maybe this kid (man now) could really use it and maybe it might make up a little bit for when my brother wasn't there for him.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
You have a good heart, OP.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a good group of Arfcommers in Arizona, so if you need some local advice on getting stuff done with the house, etc, I would post over in the AZ hometown forum.

Eric.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#19]
My condolences and best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Follow whatever probate procedures the state requires - notice in paper of record, etc.  If the son makes contact, great.  If not, the estate has been settled and he had his chance.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If there's not a will or estate plan of some sort you'll probably end up in probate court.
View Quote

This.  You need to hire a good probate attorney and get yourself appointed executor of the estate.

How difficult the process is depends on the laws in your state.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry for your loss...
Work thru probate and put it aside for a few years in case he shows up with a claim
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#23]
So much bad advice already. Find a probate attorney in AZ, and he'll take care of everything that is required. Notice to creditors, publication, and heir search, transfer of assets once the claims period has expired. Sale of real estate. Don't half ass it and have something bite you in the ass later. I do this for a living and believe me, it's easier and cheaper to do it right the first time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss.  

As far as the son, you might check the Social Security Death Index for any name you think he might have used, and if found, you can verify by birth date and SS#.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So much bad advice already. Find a probate attorney in AZ, and he'll take care of everything that is required. Notice to creditors, publication, and heir search, transfer of assets once the claims period has expired. Sale of real estate. Don't half ass it and have something bite you in the ass later. I do this for a living and believe me, it's easier and cheaper to do it right the first time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
^^^this! Mrs. scarshooter is a family law attorney and we deal with things like this all the time.

ETA. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Give the name of the person and last known address and i'm sure arf can find him.  In this day and age, just about anybody can be found.  That being said....he did try to find him, so I think a good internet search on your part, clears the vegas trip you have planned.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Condolences OP. Sorry to hear about your brother.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Short version - my older brother died last thursday, a local friend of his got worried when calls not returned, went to his house knocked, saw car in driveway, looked around the house, saw in bedroom window my brother laying in bed, not responsive, calls police, they get into house and confirm brother dead. Police contact me yesterday. Shit, he just retired last year and now drops dead.

Here is the setup - brother was divorced for over 30 years, ex-wife dead, our parents are dead, has a son that he has not seen in over 20 years and last time he had contact with his son, the son told him he was changing his last name to match the man who raised him and didn't want anything to do with him. About 5 years ago my brother hired a private detective to try to find his son, the son was never found. I'm the only remaining family he has.

What other efforts can I do to find the missing son? How long should assets be held for a son that may never be found?

View Quote

None. The "son" wants nothing to do with him. Leave it that way.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss.  

As far as the son, you might check the Social Security Death Index for any name you think he might have used, and if found, you can verify by birth date and SS#.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss.  

Sorry for your loss...

It is very difficult to change your SSN, barring witness protection or some kind of ongoing extreme identify fraud case. Track your nephews SSN down feed it into Intelius and go from there. But there are people (criminals) who do disappear into some one else's name and SSN, there have even been cases of someone taking over a dead persons SSN, then legally changing their name to make everything match up. On the run from other criminals if I recall.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#31]
My brother's first retirement check showed up in the mail the day after he died.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No will of course and not local - I'm in El Paso, TX and he lived in Phoenix, AZ. I'm driving up after turkey day to get started on whatever needs to be done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sorry for your loss.

Eric  

If you need anything when you get to town let me know, I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#33]
His son's a grown man you are his only living relative that cares at all about him.....everything left is yours as far as I'm concerned....if it bothers you
put some money in an account for a grand child....yours or his.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I really hope so. I want to find the son, he would be in his thirties now. Thing is - sure I could use the money, but don't really need it. Maybe this kid (man now) could really use it and maybe it might make up a little bit for when my brother wasn't there for him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

why ? he left and not your brother.

I honestly would not make much of an effort to find him but that is just my personal opinion on this.

If somebody told me they do not want to see me anymore fine have a nice day.

but in any case good luck

and sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm sorry for your loss.  Everyone can make assumptions about your brother but I am just going to assume you have the right to care about him.  The legal affairs is the small stuff.  My sister (In CA, not TX) is a paralegal and deals with these sorts of things all the time for about a 1/3 of an attorney.  My advice is to find something similar in TX.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I honestly would not make much of an effort to find him but that is just my personal opinion on this.

and sorry for your loss

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

and sorry for your loss

Really? You think this kid, the child that this man in all likelihood chose to neglect, left because his dad was a good father and man? OP's brother was a no-show at the most important part of his own life. It sounds as if he possibly woke up after it was too late, but finally began to understand his own value that he chose to keep from his son.

OP's reasoning is sound and comes from a man who obviously values the importance of fatherhood. Even something as simple and pathetic as 'your dad fucked up and knew it, he wanted you to have what's left from his estate' can make some measurable difference to an abandoned son, even when he's an adult.

Sorry for your loss OP. Go through probate for your own good.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#37]

I have nothing to offer but condolences for your loss, sorry man, I hope you can get it all straightened out.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top