Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing beats family strife n page 3
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

About 20 years ago my then mother in law was going to bring the ham.

The stupid woman shows up with nothing.

She says

Oh ... I was thinking we’d just go to the store when I got here.

Needles to say I had to phone around and find an open store .... Asian one like 20 miles away.... just to get a fuckin POS canned ham.

It was an awesome day
View Quote
I'm a firefighter. One year I showed up to work, and got detailed to another station for the shift (not unusual, especially when you are the rookie.) Showed up to the new station and they hadn't gone to the store beforehand, and this was before grocery stores were open on Thanksgiving. We had to eat whatever we could scrounge out of the food locker, that sucked.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My Thanksgivings have been remarkably drama free, my family and now my wife's. Just that whoever is hosting the dinner has a penchant for setting the marshmallows(on the sweet taters) on fire. Back in the mid-80's during a Bradley gunnery at Graf in Germany, our cooks put together a Thanksgiving feast that was as good as any home-cooked dinner. Fantastic. Had to go in the back and shake a few hands on that one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My Thanksgiving meals have always been great. However, wife served my first goose kill for xmas dinner. Came out covered in pin feathers and the most un-appetizing shade of grey. One bite - "Hello. Pizza Hut delivery?"
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I spent last Thanksgiving with my wife's family. She was 7 months pregnant, and so she went to bed early, while I stayed up and played pool with her younger cousins and her uncles. I don't drink all that often, and I got wasted trying to keep up with her frat-aged cousins. I blacked out and woke up later in the night when I threw up all over her grandparents' bedroom floor (they let us use their bed vs. putting my pregnant wife in a fold-out couch), then spent the next several hours being held up on their toilet by my wife, so I wouldn't shit or puke all over myself.

We were planning on going down to Oregon to have this Thanksgiving with her family again, but at her aunt and uncle's house out in central OR. We ended up down there for several days last week instead, because her young cousin froze to death in a canal in -15 below temps. She was waiting outside a bar for her fiance to pick her up, and instead of going inside to pee and dealing with an asshole bouncer, she decided to go pee in the bushes behind the bar. She slipped and fell into a dry irrigation canal in a foot of snow, collapsed and died. They searched all night but couldn't find her, and at one point her dad and future BIL walked right past where she was laying in the snow, but couldn't see her. Her fiance found her body the next morning - she didn't even know he was her fiance. He had picked out the ring with her dad two weeks ago, and planned to propose at Thanksgiving dinner. Instead he had to put the ring on her finger in the mortuary. We went down and helped them plan and handle the service last weekend.

Needless to say these have not been a good two Thanksgivings for us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
my whole family is pretty much a train wreck, but my mom's sisters, well they were some especially ignorant, obnoxious loud mouthed bitches... the last family gathering at our house ended abruptly when one of them intentionally broke a brand new kitchen chair while the other one laughed about it...

my dad had reached his breaking point and told sister #1 to leave... she looked at him, dumbfounded, and asked him "are you telling me to leave?"...  my dad responded "yes, you fat cunt. get out.".  when he said that, the other sister asked "did you call her a fat cunt?"  to which the old man replied "yes, you fatter cunt. you get the fuck out too."  

hilarity ensued

View Quote

ok now see, this is the type of story i opened this thread, wanting to read
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]
From years past: Being about 1/10th of a second from knocking my (now deceased) uncle out.

Decent guy when sober, not sober very often. My dad decided to invite him to dinner, he showed up shitfaced, got more shitfaced and started running his mouth to/about my mom.
He had acted this way towards my mom (and everybody else in the family) on occasion over the years. This year was bad and it was the first time he did it when my brother and I were adults.

We (not so politely) asked him to leave and not come back. It was slightly heated.

This year started off with a guest (brother in law's girlfriend's brother) showing up sick as a dog. He got to the point where his thanksgiving dinner was spent in the ER.
Kidney stone… Poor guy. Seemed like a pretty nice guy too.

My mom being diagnosed with cancer a couple of weeks ago has kind of put a damper on the holidays this year.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
A twofer:

Once I went to an Uncle's for Thanksgiving. The night before we went to some Chinese place to

eat. I must have gotten something no one else did because I was the only one who got sick as

a dog. In between pukes I was laying in bed in misery and heard some teenage girl remark that

"I think someone got sick in there". I thought "No kidding idiot. Now go away and let me die in

peace".

I was working (popo) one thanksgiving and there was a domestic type disturbance at a local

nursing home . It seems that some young girl was involved in a traffic accident some time ago

and brain damage reduced her to severely retarded and was the patient. Family got there and got

to arguing about the order of some hand drawn pictures on the wall they had brought. It got out of

hand and a woman slapped her bother. She had a ring on that scratched his face pretty good. We

were at the whole deal. Nursing home was in a "commotion". So we had a DV with visible injury.

Sis went to jail.  One 14 or 15 year old girl in the family who was knocked up by some older guy

(she was cool with it, but family had him arrested) threatened brother by saying "we will get you for

this". We ran them off to go back to Robeson County (those that know will understand).
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My aunt decided to host Thanksgiving for the first time one year and we pulled one of the most epic pranks of all time on this poor woman. She's not the sharpest cookie on the tree, and, well, my uncles and I are sadistic in our collective senses of humor.

She had 2 ovens in her kitchen so we turned one of the extra ones on, moved the turkey that was cooking just fine into the other oven once it reached the correct temperature and replaced the turkey with a  Cornish Game Hen.

About 20 minutes later, when she went to go check on the turkey, she opened up the oven, and a great wailing was heard throughout the house.

Everyone goes rushing into the kitchen to see what was wrong and the poor woman is in tears. Like, sobbing, wailing, gnashing of teeth, snot bubbles, the whole works.

When my grandma asked her what was wrong, she pointed at the game hen, and, through choked sobs, exclaimed "I think I turned the oven on too high and the turkey got too hot."

Grandma asks, "Why? Is it burnt?"

She says, "No. The turkey shrunk."

At this point me and my uncles are trying to stop ourselves from bursting out in laughter and had to flee the kitchen. Grandma looked at the turkey, turned around very slowly and stalked out of the kitchen.

Needless to say, grandma was less then impressed. Grandpa thought it was hilarious, everyone else spent the next hour explaining to my aunt that the turkey was just fine and that she had been pranked, then they had to spend another hour preventing her from committing brutal, but completely understandable, homicide.

Last year, we served my aunt her own game hen. She was unamused and I was thoroughly soaked by a glass of water poured on my head.

I love Turkey Day shenanigans.
View Quote

Thats great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]
THIS ONE was kind of a bust.
My whole town lost power because of the storm on wed.  We just got it back this morning.
For me it was "Meh", i treated it like a mini-shtf drill, but i am sure a lot of turkeys went bad waiting for the stove to come back on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The Mrs left the brussel sprouts in the steamer and nobody noticed until dinner was over.

The horror and pandemonium that ensued was nothing less than uneventful.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm the gravy chef, except for the one time I fried the turkey. Big mistake. Turkey was delicious, but no gravy.

The last year my FIL was with us he kibitzed over my shoulder while I whipped up my masterpiece. The only problem was the flour my daughter had bought to make her contribution, some cheap ass off brand from Piggly Wiggly. It coagulated into little pebbles my gravy whisk couldn't smooth out.

FIL is all , saying it just isn't Thanksgiving without gravy for the spuds.

He didn't count on the ingenuity of the ol' gravy chef. I dragged out the Waring blender, set it to "atomize" and had the last laugh.

My MIL's family had a Thanksgiving tale they'd pull out from time to time. After my MIL's father died she and her mother went to live with her uncle. He was a well to do businessman in Baltimore. One Thanksgiving the cook was bringing the turkey out and it slid off the platter and hit the floor. He said, "That's all right, Mary. Take it back to the kitchen and bring out the other turkey." She caught on, took it back and spruced it up and brought it back out.
View Quote

Always sift your flour.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I grilled a turkey for thanksgiving that turned out fantastic. This was on a Weber with added flavor wood in California. My father in law decided he would grill one for Christmas, in IL, on a cheap gasser.

After 1 hour cooking out back in a 30mph wind and sub zero temps the bird was still cold. He moved it into the garage to cook. Three hours later the bottom is starting to brown up but the top half is cold and raw. At 4 hours his wife come out, very pissed off, and pulls the bird off and throws it in the microwave.

I didn't eat any turkey that Christmas!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

One of my favorite aunts tried to lick mash taters off of the end of a 120v cord that plugged into the blender after she whipped up some mash taters for a holiday meal.

Thank goodness she wasn't seriously hurt .... but that 120V on a wet tongue pretty much ruined her day.

Pro-tip - unplug all electric appliance cords before lapping up any food goodness off the end of said appliance cord
View Quote

Wow, haven't heard that one before. lol

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my whole family is pretty much a train wreck, but my mom's sisters, well they were some especially ignorant, obnoxious loud mouthed bitches... the last family gathering at our house ended abruptly when one of them intentionally broke a brand new kitchen chair while the other one laughed about it...

my dad had reached his breaking point and told sister #1 to leave... she looked at him, dumbfounded, and asked him "are you telling me to leave?"...  my dad responded "yes, you fat cunt. get out.".  when he said that, the other sister asked "did you call her a fat cunt?"  to which the old man replied "yes, you fatter cunt. you get the fuck out too."  

hilarity ensued

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone in Chateau Ironhand had the stomach flu this week, so nobody was in much of a feasting mood. It hit the daughters first(16 and 28, as well as oldest girl's 1 year old son), The Bear(our youngest son, 18)next, then their mother and I, all in the space of 24 hours. I haven't been this sick since forever, and could count on my fingers the number of times I've vomited as an adult. I quickly surpassed that number on Wednesday night, and am sore everywhere from the muscle strain involved with puking. How the hell does one strain their scalp?? My eyebrows ache still, even though I shook off most of the sickness last night. I think we went through 20 rolls of toilet tissue and two loads of laundry's-worth of towels, but everyone is now on the mend.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Well, last night was pretty much an uneventful holiday.

I did get talked to two or three times though. First I supported pop (A 90yr old IWO vet) over whether or not to cook the 5yr old roll of biscuits that he had on the shelf. The wife and MIL were not happy with me, but I was able to convince then they were Cheese flavor and that is why they were that orangeish color.

Then I sipped the Turkey aus jus from the drippings cup and was told I was going to die young. The bad part was when I told the MIL I would rather die young tan eat her watery "Low calorie" Gravy.

Then I got caught no only eating the biscuits, but dipping them in the drippings I had covertly stashed in a little tin next to my plate.

The gravy issue bugs me s I make a wonderful giblet gravy that I spent many hours perfecting.

I make damn good gravy, none of this low cal shit on my holiday pate.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Dropped the cheese cake out of the fridge and whippedcream all over floor.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my favorite aunts tried to lick mash taters off of the end of a 120v cord that plugged into the blender after she whipped up some mash taters for a holiday meal.

Thank goodness she wasn't seriously hurt .... but that 120V on a wet tongue pretty much ruined her day.

Pro-tip - unplug all electric appliance cords before lapping up any food goodness off the end of said appliance cord

This happened a very long time ago when I was a young kid. Still a very vivid memory due to the panic it created in the kitchen. Easily 30-40 people there counting all my young cousins.

Looking back on it I now know that old farmhouse built 100+ years ago ... no way had grounded outlets. Obviously the current did not pass thru her heart ( electrician here - ironically ) and was just a nasty jolt to her tongue / mouth.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Yesterday, I ran over my cat while heading out to retrieve the present that my parents got my wife and I for our birthdays 6 months ago. They hadn't even finished them. Then my mom told me that I owe her $250 for the present that she got my wife for Christmas without asking me. Then I got back to the house and I received a call saying that I owe $5,300 on a debt that was supposedly settled. My crazy SIL couldn't bring her ass to dinner on time and made everyone wait for her. Then she stole the gift card that I gave to my niece who just had a baby. My SIL even brought a pie crust and filling and told my wife to make her a pie to take home, after my wife spent two days and $500 cooking for 25 people. My mom then said that she wanted her thanksgiving decorations back that have been at my house for 5 years. I told my wife that someone else is hosting the family gathering next year,  and went to bed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Several years ago we decided to host our first family thanksgiving.  Wife unit comes up with the idea to have a trial run two weeks beforehand with our friends.  Everything was perfect.  About twenty five friends showed up.

Fast forward two weeks and my mom spends the night so she can help my wife cook on thanksgiving day.  Never put two cooks in the same kitchen on the same meal.  Now enter a third cook, my brother.  One says the oven is too cold, other says it's too warm, wife says it's fine.  There was another incident when my wife dumped the water the potatoes were boiled in.

By this time the wife unit has given up control and grabbed a glass of wine.  Bird comes out later than planned, we start cutting, bird is not done.  Had to finish cooking pieces in the microwave.

Mom never spent the night again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hilarity ensued

Your dad rocks, no homo.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I skipped thanksgiving and went on a long bicycle ride. Everything went better than expected.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not going into details, I have had several thanksgivings ruined by the presence of booze and angry, bitter alcoholics...

Than there are the Thanksgiving dinners I attended where my sister-in-law was in charge of cooking...

These days I pretty much fly solo on Thanksgiving.  It's lonely. but the food is guaranteed to be good, and I don't need to deal with other peoples baggage...
View Quote

Booze is the secret to my family making it though the night without violence. Work today, hungover, is miserable. But still better then a family get together without LOT'S of alcohol
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thats great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My aunt decided to host Thanksgiving for the first time one year and we pulled one of the most epic pranks of all time on this poor woman. She's not the sharpest cookie on the tree, and, well, my uncles and I are sadistic in our collective senses of humor.

She had 2 ovens in her kitchen so we turned one of the extra ones on, moved the turkey that was cooking just fine into the other oven once it reached the correct temperature and replaced the turkey with a  Cornish Game Hen.

About 20 minutes later, when she went to go check on the turkey, she opened up the oven, and a great wailing was heard throughout the house.

Everyone goes rushing into the kitchen to see what was wrong and the poor woman is in tears. Like, sobbing, wailing, gnashing of teeth, snot bubbles, the whole works.

When my grandma asked her what was wrong, she pointed at the game hen, and, through choked sobs, exclaimed "I think I turned the oven on too high and the turkey got too hot."

Grandma asks, "Why? Is it burnt?"

She says, "No. The turkey shrunk."

At this point me and my uncles are trying to stop ourselves from bursting out in laughter and had to flee the kitchen. Grandma looked at the turkey, turned around very slowly and stalked out of the kitchen.

Needless to say, grandma was less then impressed. Grandpa thought it was hilarious, everyone else spent the next hour explaining to my aunt that the turkey was just fine and that she had been pranked, then they had to spend another hour preventing her from committing brutal, but completely understandable, homicide.

Last year, we served my aunt her own game hen. She was unamused and I was thoroughly soaked by a glass of water poured on my head.

I love Turkey Day shenanigans.

Thats great.

In the same spirit of Family trolling Family, I present.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top