Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Silver and Gold have always been the "real" money throughout history.  The reason? There's no way to create/manufacture new gold/silver.  There is a finite amount on Earth and not a lot of it like aluminum for example.  Until humans figure out a way of modifying compounds and elements to make new gold/silver on the atomic level then it will always be worth something.  Gold/Silver also have unique physical properties that a lot of other metals don't have.

But yea, if everybody all of a sudden decided that gold/silver didn't matter then it wouldn't be "worth" a damn thing...that will never happen though :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bigger question to me is, why are any of these countries having the US, or anyone else, hold THEIR gold?

Being a country that's 99% impossible in effectively invade and having one of the worlds largest military makes it the safest place to store it.

Well that is until you come to understand that there ARE no government ran banks in america and there all privately held, and the government truly has no say on what they do with the stuff you store there.

The store your gold in the US is one of the longest running scams in human history outside of most religions.

Just like the US money scam, the USD is fake money it has no value there's nothing backing it. Well besides the military.  

All money is fake. It's just an idea. Even gold itself has no real value, unless people believe it does. Outside of industrial uses.

Silver and Gold have always been the "real" money throughout history.  The reason? There's no way to create/manufacture new gold/silver.  There is a finite amount on Earth and not a lot of it like aluminum for example.  Until humans figure out a way of modifying compounds and elements to make new gold/silver on the atomic level then it will always be worth something.  Gold/Silver also have unique physical properties that a lot of other metals don't have.

But yea, if everybody all of a sudden decided that gold/silver didn't matter then it wouldn't be "worth" a damn thing...that will never happen though :)

Unfortunately chosen example...  Aluminum was once more expensive than gold.  Now it's so cheap I wrap my dinner in it and throw the dirty stuff away when I'm done.

OTOH I do understand that was a production issue not a raw mat'l supply issue.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All the gold that's (supposedly) in Fort Knox is but a tiny fraction of our $17trillion debt.
View Quote

There's a moral there.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why the fuck did the US allow Hugo Chavez to get back the gold... oh yeah Marxist in office and all that.
View Quote

Why the fuck would the US steal Venezuela's gold?

That'd be a lovely precedent to set.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bigger question to me is, why are any of these countries having the US, or anyone else, hold THEIR gold?

Being a country that's 99% impossible in effectively invade and having one of the worlds largest military makes it the safest place to store it.

Well that is until you come to understand that there ARE no government ran banks in america and there all privately held, and the government truly has no say on what they do with the stuff you store there.

The store your gold in the US is one of the longest running scams in human history outside of most religions.

Just like the US money scam, the USD is fake money it has no value there's nothing backing it. Well besides the military.  

All money is fake. It's just an idea. Even gold itself has no real value, unless people believe it does. Outside of industrial uses.

We can already artificially create gold, it's just very, very expensive due to the costs of the equipment and energy required (billions of dollars an ounce).  I predict in the next 100 years (which very well may be within most of our lifetimes given the rate of advancement of medical technology) we'll be able to cost effectively produce any element we need.  Once this is possible, the only thing of value will be energy, and whatever source we are extracting it from at that point.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
interesting
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
lol

Another propagandist story for the nutjobs. Germany is getting it's gold back but the US didn't deny them at all. They're recalling and slowly testing gold from all over.

I'm sure that website has some sort of BUY GOLD NOW conveniently at their store.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't understand this either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Europe has this extensive history of warfare and looting. USA has never been invaded nor does it look likely their hat above can do shit or the ones to the south.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah, a man of fine taste in classic movies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah, a man of fine taste in classic movies.

Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to DIE!

that always cracks me up!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The US only holds a percentage of foreign gold.  The gold is stored near NY for commerce and trade.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Europe has this extensive history of warfare and looting. USA has never been invaded nor does it look likely their hat above can do shit or the ones to the south.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because for 50 years there was a threat of Russians flooding west. That threat ended and no one saw a reason to change (gold is expensive to move and protect) so there it sat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because for 50 years there was a threat of Russians flooding west. That threat ended and no one saw a reason to change (gold is expensive to move and protect) so there it sat.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect. Although it has been awhile.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some might say its still ongoing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the US Dollar "fake?"

You'd have to split gold down to the individual atom to equate the GDP of all the countries in the world. Using gold to back dollars is as idiotic as it is impossible.

Dollars are a currency, a way to exchange the debt of one's labors for another. It's bartering at the town market without you having to bring in two head of cattle to trade for 40 bolts of fabric and the cost to make clothes out of them. Instead, we can simply exchange for a note that we all agree (and gives to) its value.

You store your money in the safest place possible. Generally a bank. The USA acts as one giant bank. Has the largest GDP, military, stability, and best land positioning to be a de facto bank for other countries. It wasn't a "scam." Now what happened to some or all or none of the gold is up to conspiracy theorists.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Until the 20th century,aluminum was much more valuable than gold or silver.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All the gold that's (supposedly) in Fort Knox is but a tiny fraction of our $17trillion debt.
View Quote

$116,000,000,000,000.00

You're forgetting about the unsecured liabilities. Interest on debt, pensions, SS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc...

No one is mentioning that number. 17 trillion, lol, that's a drip of the ocean.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Note to self:

122 Tonnes = 1 shit ton.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a shit ton of gold.

Note to self:

122 Tonnes = 1 shit ton.

Actually I think it's a more accurate conversion as 122 Tonnes = a metric Fuck-Ton.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/300px-BurningofWashington1814_zps49bc6f06.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/300px-BurningofWashington1814_zps49bc6f06.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/300px-BurningofWashington1814_zps49bc6f06.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/300px-BurningofWashington1814_zps49bc6f06.jpg</a>

Before the federal reserve gold vault, try again. USA has been stable since the end of the 1880s.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now we're picking nits. Y'all know what I mean. Did you know the Germans landed on US shores as recently as WWII? No one gives a shit, like no one gives a shit about the war of 1812, civil war, or the revolution.

That's nothing considering the history of Europe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we should get an arfcom group up and invade Venezuela and take their gold, and oil.

And women.

Now they do have some fine women.  I can attest to that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lulz
View Quote

OK, I'll bite.

I think German occupation during WWII constitutes a modern example of large scale invasion and looting in Europe.

The USSR was an ongoing threat of similar invasion during a large majority of the intervening years.

One reason among many to be sure, but it makes sense on its face, so why the "lulz".
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

say it ain't so, W!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the fuck did the US allow Hugo Chavez to get back the gold... oh yeah Marxist in office and all that.

The trend towards gold repatriation began with Hugo Chavez bringing Venezuelan gold back to Caracas in 2011

say it ain't so, W!

Wait....wut?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's a moral there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a moral there.

Gold is undervalued?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now we're picking nits. Y'all know what I mean. Did you know the Germans landed on US shores as recently as WWII? No one gives a shit, like no one gives a shit about the war of 1812, civil war, or the revolution.

View Quote

and there were these guys too...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

say it ain't so, W!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trend towards gold repatriation began with Hugo Chavez bringing Venezuelan gold back to Caracas in 2011

say it ain't so, W!

calendars, how do they work ?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
say it ain't so, W!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

say it ain't so, W!
?

Are you saying Bush was in office in 2011? Because clearly that is not the reason why I said a Marxist was in office.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
lol

Another propagandist story for the nutjobs. Germany is getting it's gold back but the US didn't deny them at all. They're recalling and slowly testing gold from all over.

I'm sure that website has some sort of BUY GOLD NOW conveniently at their store.
View Quote

Bullsh*t spewed by a '14er.  It's well known that Germany got 5 tons and then the repatriation shipments stopped.  The other question is why did the Netherlands receive what they asked for and Germany didn't?  Listen to that Dr. Paul Craig Roberts interview.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Venezuela is a Marxist Nation... what the hell do they need gold for. Hugo Chavez preached Communism and said the the people didn't need a currency. So then Venezuela doesn't need gold.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The provinces are getting uppity.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

War of 1812
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, Western Europe feared the Soviets during the Cold War. Nazi Germany looted everyone and the Soviets did the same during WWII.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We can already artificially create gold, it's just very, very expensive due to the costs of the equipment and energy required (billions of dollars an ounce).  I predict in the next 100 years (which very well may be within most of our lifetimes given the rate of advancement of medical technology) we'll be able to cost effectively produce any element we need.  Once this is possible, the only thing of value will be energy, and whatever source we are extracting it from at that point.

View Quote
I suspect that the easier option will be to remotely mine in in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.  There is supposed to be a ton of valuable metals there.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#34]
So secret its on arfcom
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OK, I'll bite.

I think German occupation during WWII constitutes a modern example of large scale invasion and looting in Europe.

The USSR was an ongoing threat of similar invasion during a large majority of the intervening years.

One reason among many to be sure, but it makes sense on its face, so why the "lulz".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lulz

OK, I'll bite.

Read the quote again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/13_w_full_zpsbe4d189c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/13_w_full_zpsbe4d189c.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/13_w_full_zpsbe4d189c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/13_w_full_zpsbe4d189c.jpg</a>

Immaterial as the war of 1812, over 120 years prior to storage

WW2 had a couple bozos hit the mainland. That ain't an army or even a navy. It's a few lost souls.

Quoted:
Quoted:

War of 1812

Keep reading. Just internet folks picking nits. My point still stands. No real invasion, ever. A couple frenchies tried but failed. I know my history.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

$116,000,000,000,000.00

You're forgetting about the unsecured liabilities. Interest on debt, pensions, SS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$116,000,000,000,000.00

Okay then, even more of a reason to not give a fuck about the gold in Fort Knox or our total gold holdings, etc. They simply don't matter anymore.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Always funny to see the glenn beck goldline bugs in these threads.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Gold Bond Powder, you are a friend of mine.
View Quote
Gold Bond Powder, you make my balls feel fine.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Wait a minute... Gold doesn't matter.  It's simply a barbaric relic with no practical meaning to finance in today's society... right?  

So why do all these countries care about getting the Gold back?  The Federal Reserve Bank should just print some more digital money and send it to Europe, then they won't have to waste all that time and labor moving a barbaric relic.

Or, really, just don't give them anything, because why bother even paying back something that is so barbaric-y and relic-y?  It's a dumb request.  Tell them to print their own money!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Note to self:

122 Tonnes = 1 shit ton.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a shit ton of gold.

Note to self:

122 Tonnes = 1 shit ton.

Arfcom has finally found relevancy in Western Culture by being the creator of weight standards and measures.

Awesome!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
War of 1812
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

War of 1812

And WW II  (Kiska).
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

There is no gold.
View Quote
my precious

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

History.  See World War Two.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

And WW II  (Kiska).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

War of 1812

And WW II  (Kiska).

Yup.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember those guys.....Dresden.

And these guys...Tokyo.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Every time we have one of these threads it boggles my mind how many Americans seem to think we should steal the gold.
View Quote

It really shouldn't, you heard Obama won, right?  Twice.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time we have one of these threads it boggles my mind how many Americans seem to think we should steal the gold.

Yep. Property? Psh, we're 'Merica, we take what we want.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
enjoy your gold plated tungsten

Chinese Discovered Fake Gold Bars of Tungsten in 2009
View Quote

The Cinese did not discover then , The Chinese make fakes including fakes of old US $1 coin , not made of silver
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top