Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 12:37:49 AM EDT
Question, though I know the Fire TV Stick hasn't been released yet, AFAIK.  

Is there a way to get either of these to play on my surround sound if they're plugged into my TV?  I couldn't even get Chromecast to work on either my receiver (Sony STRDH740) or TV (Samsung 50" I bought at Costco a while back), so this may be pointless.

USB on the Sony surround sound receiver is only compatible with Apple products, apparently.  Wouldn't recognize my Galaxy S4 or the Chromecast.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your TV have a digital optical output?  That would be the best solution.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
USB is only for power. It has to be plugged into the HDMI port on a receiver or the TV.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That audio connection with the red light?  Yeah, it does.  I used to go that way with my Xbox 360 when I couldn't get that to connected to my surround sound, I had a boatload of issues with the cables staying secured, but that is a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
USB is only for power. It has to be plugged into the HDMI port on a receiver or the TV.
View Quote

Oh right, I'll try Chromecast again later.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That audio connection with the red light?  Yeah, it does.  I used to go that way with my Xbox 360 when I couldn't get that to connected to my surround sound, I had a boatload of issues with the cables staying secured, but that is a good idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's going to be the easiest.  Put the stick in your TV, connect optical cable from TV to receiver.

Just to be clear, you're saying that you're using the HDMI out to the TV on the monitor and when you plug the Chromecast into the HDMI "in" on your receiver, you're not getting sound, or what?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's going to be the easiest.  Put the stick in your TV, connect optical cable from TV to receiver.

Just to be clear, you're saying that you're using the HDMI out to the TV on the monitor and when you plug the Chromecast into the HDMI "in" on your receiver, you're not getting sound, or what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the Chromecast fail by me, I'm an idiot.  They weren't turning on, but I think I assumed it would just work straight HDMI, I didn't have it powered by the USB.

Was mainly wondering the best route to get audio to come out of my surround sound while the sticks are in the TV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top