BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a Lodge

I usually only use it to sear meats. But I can scour it with a stainless scrubby. Then rub it with lard or bacon grease and heat it to smoking one time. Then I can do eggs over easy in it the next morning.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always heard to not buy used cast iron unless you know the previous owners, because of people possibly using them for lead processing.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid to sand a pan, just go on Ebay and buy an old Griswold or Wagner, just get a common size and prices are ok

you will pay about the same amount and have a far superior piece of iron you can pass down to your grandkids

I have around 30 pieces of Griswold, I think the most I paid for any one of them was $110 for a huge dutch oven, all bought on Ebay back when I had disposable income.

I've always heard to not buy used cast iron unless you know the previous owners, because of people possibly using them for lead processing.

Kharn
lol, see my other post

"90% of homes built prior to 2000 have lead solder copper water supply lines. Maybe one person in1000, hell maybe 10,000 has melted lead in a frying pan."

I'm not worried about lead, at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I get old ones at antique stores and sand blast them ... they are always smooth on the inside
Why in the hell would you sand one?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

x3 !    My poor Wagner just dosent see much use any longer.   These skillets are THE best.  Mine took a good month of use to develop a nice seasoning.   But now it is as black as an oil slick and cooks everything for me.  It gets used nearly every meal.    The cast iron now only comes out when I'm doing something on the grill or fire pit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know about sanding cast iron but have tried a carbon steel frypan?  I have cast iron and enameled  cast iron as well as carbon steel and I love my Debuyer 12 inch Mineral carbon steel skillet and it is my most used pan.  It is a bit lighter and heats and cools abit quicker but it is still thick enough not to get hot spots.  Season like cast iron and it is smooth and stick free.

De Buyer Mineral12.6
I have the 8" and 12" debuyer pans and would have to agree that they're awesome.  Even though it's lighter, I feel like heat distribution is better and of course, it comes with a polished surface.

x3 !    My poor Wagner just dosent see much use any longer.   These skillets are THE best.  Mine took a good month of use to develop a nice seasoning.   But now it is as black as an oil slick and cooks everything for me.  It gets used nearly every meal.    The cast iron now only comes out when I'm doing something on the grill or fire pit.

OMG Ya'll just read my mind

I just bought one of these a few weeks ago on a whim after an exhaustive single morning of research  I honestly didn't even go OCD with the seasoning just burned some grapeseed oil in it and started cooking.  Never touch it with soap.  I can pretty much fry eggs without oil or butter at this point.  Worth the money I dunno, I like it.  New cast iron all looks really mottled and cheap.  My moms antique cast iron is smooth but takes a lot longer to heat up than this.

The 12.6 is great.  Just the right size to do 4 eggs over easy.  So quick to heat up I can go from cold pan to breakfast tacos in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#5]
My Lodge griddle I just got was pretty rough and it was the best of all the ones Walmart had. It was all sticking up rough though, no pits. I used a random orbit sander and a couple grits on it and got it slick as glass. My big square Lodge griddle was the same way, but I water sanded it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep my cast iron skillet by the front door.  It looks less threatening than a baseball bat.  

Fucking worthless as cookware.
View Quote

I did not know that. And to think I cook on mine every day. I guess I'll have to quit since it won't work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top