Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2014 6:59:01 PM EDT
I do most of my stove top cooking in a cast iron skillet. A Lodge, probably 4 years old. It's about 12" I guess. I keep it seasoned mostly through cooking and have never felt the need to season it more.

I've seen GD talk about smooth and sanded skillets and thought about picking up another to try out.

How do you recommend sanding them? I have an angle grinder but no hand sander.

Also I want to get one of the 3.5" skillets for fried eggs. Ever used one?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about sanding cast iron but have tried a carbon steel frypan?  I have cast iron and enameled  cast iron as well as carbon steel and I love my Debuyer 12 inch Mineral carbon steel skillet and it is my most used pan.  It is a bit lighter and heats and cools abit quicker but it is still thick enough not to get hot spots.  Season like cast iron and it is smooth and stick free.

De Buyer Mineral12.6
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Angle grinder with flapper discs.  

I have one off brand pan that i sanded smooth and one lodge.  The one i sanded is marginally better.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I sanded mine with one of those little orbital sanders that take a quarter sheet of paper.  Even using sixty grit a lot of pits remained, although it's much smoother than it was.  It's also been difficult to re-season properly but it doesn't get used much and that's probably part of it.  The seasoning tends to come off in cleaning while it was much more tolerant of cleaning beforehand.  I have to play with it some more.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Put mine on a rotary table and fly cut them on a mill
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Wagner 3E that makes does a fine job of  frying eggs.  Cast iron is smooth in it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Orbital sander down to the bare metal, cover with lard, then either leave in a 450 degree oven for an hour or on a propane grill. Do the last step twice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Sharp metal spatula.

Once you get it satin smooth, use a paper towel with just a bit of oil on it.  

Wipe on a really thin coat and make it smoke on the stove top.  Then wipe it clean again and repeat.  

Keep in mind cast iron isn't teflon.  Don't treat it like it is.  

Its strength is in the way it cooks, and yep.  You'll need to deglaze it sometimes,  same as stainless stuff.  Just deglaze with water, give it a scrape, rinse, oil and smoke.  Fini.

What it brings is more than half aesthetic, but I think folks just like the durability and versatility of the stuff.
Sit it in a campfire?  Sure.
Bake in it? No problem.
Heat it red hot for a turbo sear?  Why not?

Hand it town fo four generations of comfort food production?  Yer dam rite.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Did one 12" lodge and left another rough.  Can't tell a difference between either.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not sand mine. No need.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]
why? mine is 50 years old and never been sanded
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not sand mine. No need.
View Quote

Good quality cast iron is like that.  A lot of the newer stuff ships as really rough castings.  Some of it still has the sand cast surface from the mold.  

That stuff works a lot better once you flatten the thing some.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Aluminum Oxide is probably the most popular sanding abrasive for wood and metal. If you have a random orbit or orbital sander you probably have sandpaper that will work also.

After you finish, here is the definitive article on seasoning a coast iron skillet: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Stupid to sand a pan, just go on Ebay and buy an old Griswold or Wagner, just get a common size and prices are ok

you will pay about the same amount and have a far superior piece of iron you can pass down to your grandkids

I have around 30 pieces of Griswold, I think the most I paid for any one of them was $110 for a huge dutch oven, all bought on Ebay back when I had disposable income.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]
bead blast or walnut shells
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The older ones are smoother to start with
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I've seen are usually all machined.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I also have a Lodge 12in skillet that is about 3 years old, I haven't sanded mine by it has become smoother on it's own over the past couple years.

I use a steel spatula and after I am done cooking I just scrape out any gunk and run it over all the interior surfaces, over time this has worn down the rough peaks in the cast iron and made it smoother. I assume given enough time it will be as smooth as if I sanded it in the first place.

Here is a link to the spatula I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell--2-5-Inch-Stainless-Walnut-Pancake/dp/B002CJNBTO/?tag=facebook04ca-20
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 12+pieces of Lodge. I keep them well seasoned and have no problems with them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Angle grinder with flapper discs.  

I have one off brand pan that i sanded smooth and one lodge.  The one i sanded is marginally better.
View Quote

Yep, then I go back in with an abrasive cup to polish further.

It seems to reduce sticky spots and aids in cleaning.... deal breaker? I'd say not.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Didn't read any posts besides OP's. New cast iron is crap. It's sand cast and not smooth. Go find some vintage wagner/griswald/etc that was metal cast and season it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Orbital sander down to the bare metal, cover with lard, then either leave in a 450 degree oven for an hour or on a propane grill. Do the last step twice.
View Quote

This is what I've done in the past. Takes awhile, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#25]
To re-season, place in the oven for an entire 'clean' cycle. Let cool. Use a brass brush to scrape away any hard clinging gunk. Then coat LIGHTLY with some sort of oil with high smoke point or crisco, etc. Place upside-down in the oven to prevent oil from pooling. You may want to place a sheet pan on the lower rack to catch any drippings. Bake an hour at 325*. Remove, wipe excess and cool. Coat lightly again, bake another hour at 325*
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the tips.

The Griswold stuff on eBay is a little pricier than mentioned above.

Maybe I'll get a good sized one and see how it goes.  Also really liking the square egg cooker they made.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't know about sanding cast iron but have tried a carbon steel frypan?  I have cast iron and enameled  cast iron as well as carbon steel and I love my Debuyer 12 inch Mineral carbon steel skillet and it is my most used pan.  It is a bit lighter and heats and cools abit quicker but it is still thick enough not to get hot spots.  Season like cast iron and it is smooth and stick free.

De Buyer Mineral12.6
View Quote
I have the 8" and 12" debuyer pans and would have to agree that they're awesome.  Even though it's lighter, I feel like heat distribution is better and of course, it comes with a polished surface.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have the 8" and 12" debuyer pans and would have to agree that they're awesome.  Even though it's lighter, I feel like heat distribution is better and of course, it comes with a polished surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

De Buyer Mineral12.6

I'll lookout for these too. I have a flat top stove and I'm always jealous watching cooking shows when they use pans like those over gas flames.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips.

Maybe I'll get a good sized one and see how it goes.  Also really liking the square egg cooker they made.
View Quote

Go to yard sales/flea markets and buy a rusty one and re season.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips.

That someone used to melt lead in...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I also have a Lodge 12in skillet that is about 3 years old, I haven't sanded mine by it has become smoother on it's own over the past couple years.

I use a steel spatula and after I am done cooking I just scrape out any gunk and run it over all the interior surfaces, over time this has worn down the rough peaks in the cast iron and made it smoother. I assume given enough time it will be as smooth as if I sanded it in the first place.

http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell--2-5-Inch-Stainless-Walnut-Pancake/dp/B002CJNBTO/?tag=facebook04ca-20
View Quote

That spatula is a must for anybody cooking on cast iron.  If you don't own one,  order one right now!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The older ones were machined.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

overkill but it sure ought to get it really flat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stupid to sand a pan, just go on Ebay and buy an old Griswold or Wagner, just get a common size and prices are ok

you will pay about the same amount and have a far superior piece of iron you can pass down to your grandkids

I have around 30 pieces of Griswold, I think the most I paid for any one of them was $110 for a huge dutch oven, all bought on Ebay back when I had disposable income.
View Quote

I've always heard to not buy used cast iron unless you know the previous owners, because of people possibly using them for lead processing.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

De Buyer Mineral12.6

x3 !    My poor Wagner just dosent see much use any longer.   These skillets are THE best.  Mine took a good month of use to develop a nice seasoning.   But now it is as black as an oil slick and cooks everything for me.  It gets used nearly every meal.    The cast iron now only comes out when I'm doing something on the grill or fire pit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#36]
walnut blast
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips.

Not so much with skillets.  Easy to check for and with basic understanding of how lead works, not hard to remove if you had residue.  People use to cook with brass.....that's ~8% lead throughout the cookware
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That spatula is a must for anybody cooking on cast iron.  If you don't own one,  order one right now!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like an imitation of my trusty old Chicago Cutlery spatula.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Those Finex skillets look pretty sharp. The price... Not so much.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I got 3 rusty Griswald pans at an antique/junk/decore store.  For about $20 each, maybe a little too much, but with a run through an "electrolysis tank" they came out pretty nicely.  I was a little surprised because I thought Griswalds went for more.  I was the only person that had really shown interest, most people saying they were too grungy for wall hangers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

De Buyer Mineral12.6
View Quote

I have this one, its pressed iron and one of my favorite pans.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

haven't heard them two words used together since my VW days
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I do most of my stove top cooking in a cast iron skillet. A Lodge, probably 4 years old. It's about 12" I guess. I keep it seasoned mostly through cooking and have never felt the need to season it more.

I've seen GD talk about smooth and sanded skillets and thought about picking up another to try out.

View Quote

Skip the 3.5 inch. Too small to use.

Get a 5 or so inch for small tasks.

I sanded down two of mine with a drill and sanding bits on it. Probably eight bucks for the new tools.  

Just be cautious to keep it a level surface and keep going until it's smooth. You will be tempted to stop a bunch of times.

Then re-season it or just cook greasy stuff on it to let it season naturally.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#44]
The smooth bottom cast iron I inherited from my great grandmother is my favorite cast iron piece.

I don't think it came smooth, it was worn smooth over 50 some odd years of cooking in it.

Seeing this thread makes me want to sand our newer pieces smooth.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I keep my cast iron skillet by the front door.  It looks less threatening than a baseball bat.  

Fucking worthless as cookware.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up, I was in need of a new spatula for cast iron pans, so just ordered one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know about sanding them but when I fucked up my 9" pan and needed to redo the finish I just used a generic kitchen pumice stone to take it down to bare metal.  Then I seasoned it with safflower oil and the oven etc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the tips.

View Quote
Don't bother with the specialty pans as they are more money, just get a number 9 size to start with. If you can't find a Griswold get a Wagner, they are just as good. As with ahything buying stuff on Ebay requires patience and cheating sometimes. Auction Sniper helps. Also check local thrift shops or garage sales as they will have the best pricing (usually)

If you cook with a gas range the bottom doesn't matter but you probably don't want a smoke ring pan on an induction cooktop.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I keep my cast iron skillet by the front door.  It looks less threatening than a baseball bat.  

Fucking worthless as cookware.
View Quote

I pretty much do most of my cooking on my Lodge pans and dutch oven.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for all the tips.

90% of homes built prior to 2000 have lead solder copper water supply lines. Maybe one person in1000, hell maybe 10,000 has melted lead in a frying pan.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top