Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 6:00:23 PM EDT
Bought home this little pembroke welsh corgi puppy yesterday and still can't figure out a name.  We've narrowed it down to a few names, I'll put a poll up in a second.  

Next, a few questions.  FWIW I know next to nothing about dogs other than what I've read.

1.  The little guy wants to play way more aggressively with me than my wife.  Does this mean anything, or is it something I'm doing?
2.  He's 8 weeks old.  Should we try to crate him yet or is this an exercise in futility?  We put him in the crate last night, he whined for maybe 20 minutes and was out.  Despite being let out several times he still peed on the blanket in there.  We have a play pen for him, should we just put a bunch of absorbent pads down and let him do his thing until he's older and can hold it all night?  Get up to let him out every couple of hours?  
3.  I've seen a few people on here talk about how puppy breath is supposed to smell pleasant... his breath smells like turds (and he has not eaten any turds since we've had him) Is this bad?  He's going to the vet this week so we'll ask but this is contrary to what I've read.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, until then here's a pic:

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Puppy breath kinda smells like rotten milk. Sounds normal to me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had a corgi I would have to name it Ein.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely he has worms..almost all puppies do to some extent...that can contribute to the bad breathe
Could call him Thumper...
My fiances parents raised, bred and showed Corgi's..
Absolutely crate him....it will take some time for him to not pee in there...be consistent and read up on crate training
Train him and  socialize him when he is old enough and has all his shots
You might be playing more aggressive with him than your wife
Take him out every half hour to hour....watch him closely...when you take him outside tell him to go "pottie"   PRAISE him immediately after he goes...you can use training pads and you move them closer and closer to the door you want him to go out and pee from
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd name him "Goddammit!".
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Guess some people like that...
Do you have dogs and that Pionous in your avatar?  We have birds as well, so far the puppy seems to ignore the birds which is good.  Our macaw has shown moderate interest but their interactions have been limited and with little interest on the dog's part.

Quoted:
Most likely he has worms..almost all puppies do to some extent...that can contribute to the bad breathe  FWIW the breeder wormed him twice, most recently a week ago.  
Absolutely crate him....it will take some time for him to not pee in there...be consistent and read up on crate training Fair enough.  I had run into a few differences in my opinion, thus why I asked.  
Take him out every half hour to hour....watch him closely...when you take him outside tell him to go "pottie"   PRAISE him immediately after he goes...you can use training pads and you move them closer and closer to the door you want him to go out and pee from This is what we've been doing, we've also tried to get him to go in the same spot but that's not really worked out well.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd name him "Goddammit!".
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes crate train him but don't just stick him in and leave him. You need to make it somewhere he wants to be.

Use treats get him to go in there on his own work up close door for a few minute then let him out etc etc. make it pleasurable.

As you say you know nothing about dogs I hope this isn't telling you something you don't know

When you feed him make sure you eat first even if you pretend. Lift his bowl up and act as if you are eating , get the whole family doing it then give him the food.

Do this and he will know his place in the pack

Mmv

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If he is welsh, then maybe something from this list of mostly unpronounceable names...
http://www.babynames.org.uk/welsh-boy-baby-names.htm
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Watson. Or Pooper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Loki, Gambit or Wolverine
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes crate train him but don't just stick him in and leave him. You need to make it somewhere he wants to be.

Use treats get him to go in there on his own work up close door for a few minute then let him out etc etc. make it pleasurable.
View Quote

This is what I had read, but my reading also indicated this is a week/days  long process and offered no guidance what to do up until that point....  Dog's gotta sleep...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Dont worry about him peeing in the same place. It also can takes weeks and weeks and even months to become full potty trained  
As someone mentioned before handling food, bones and toys and taking it from him and making sure he doesnt bite...and dont confuse teething with biting...your wife and kids have to do this too....you have a LONG road ahead of you and the more you do now the better he will be later on...the first few months can be rough. But the reward from his unconditional love is priceless...I type this while my year old golden is sleeping to my left and my almost 3 year old Great Dane is to my right. God knows where are kids are...LOL
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I had a corgi I would have to name it Ein.
View Quote

Already beaten...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Angus or Pavlov.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
1) He plays more roughly with you b/c you're male.

2) His crate is too large.  Did it come with a wire screen you can insert vertically to divide it into two smaller spaces?  If so, use it.  If not, it would be worth the expense to buy a second, smaller crate.  Don't expect him to be fully house-trained until he's around 5 months.  His muscles won't be developed enough to "hold it" until around then.

3) I don't understand the appeal of puppy breath, either.  It stinks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Cute pup! Grew up with corgis. Fun little bastards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is what I had read, but my reading also indicated this is a week/days  long process and offered no guidance what to do up until that point....  Dog's gotta sleep...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He sleeps in the crate.

Dogs are smart.

Associate the crate with treats and praise and you will find him going in there himself.

It is never to be a punishment.

That is his space for safety and comfort.

The crate should only be large enough for him to stand up and turn around in.

Any bigger will promote him going to the back corner and doing his business.

Do yourself a favor pick up "The art of raising a puppy" by the monks of new skete

Potty training can be easily accomplished using their method of a trigger word.

Take puppy out for potty.

Use trigger word repeatedly until the puppy relieves himself, praise immediately.

Wash rinse repeat.

The dog will eventually go on command.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Prince Charles  --- after that corgi in Footrot Flats

Winston

Or Harlech
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#19]
He looks like a Shawntavious or a Kelvin to me. Maybe a Darius.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I always thought Turbo was a funny name for a little dog.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Squib

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#22]
When people say "crate training" what they usually seem to mean is "I'm going to leave the pup in a crate all day".

All that will do is train him to be happy laying in his own filth. Puppies have small bladders, they have to go to the bathroom a lot. I just got a new pup too, here's what I do and have done with my past pups:

They don't get full run of the house, it's easier to keep bad habits from happening, than it is to correct them once they happen. Puppies are like babies, they are going to teeth chew and pee. And Poop.

I have a puppy proof mud room. When they are tiny pups they have a corral in there. I am also with them in there a lot of the time. I also have older doggies to help out. I keep him in the corral while at work, with a crate. I come home at lunch, let the older dogs out and play with him.

Now he is older so there is no corral, just the mudroom. He can stay in there relatively unsupervised, and use the doggie door. I still have pee pads, sometimes he uses those. I come home at lunch and let the big girls out there too. Everybody can get in and out. I actually have a gate up into the main house, they can see in but the pup can't get in the main house.

If the puppy is tired enough he can come in the main house and play on the couch or bed with the others. I keep a constant eye on him. If he sniffs or if it's been a half hour or so, I pick him up and take him outside. He always pees.  There has only been one or two accidents, I take him out a bunch so he associates peeing with going outside. The problem with little dogs and pups is that the house is big so they will go to the furtherest end and to them that is "outside".  When they get bigger this will no longer be an issue.

At night after play time we go out again, and he sleeps in a crate. If he whimpers at 0130, I get up and take him outside to pee. Actually this doesn't' happen anymore, he can sleep all through the night. He has never peed in his bedtime crate.

I leave for work at 0650, so I get up about 0500, maybe a little later, let magnum (my puppy) out and feed him. We play and socialize with the others. Then the big girls are put up and little magnum stays in the mudroom till lunch when we repeat the routine.

I think corgies are a lot like beagles, stubborn and high energy. Do you only have 1 dog? I've been spacing mine for years now and it really helps. The old ones train the young ones. I have an 11 year old beagle/dachound, and a 4 year old beagle. I got little magnum so by the time the old one is no longer with us Lucy will have a well trained buddy.

Before that I had an older beagle named abbie. When we got lucy it was abbie and blues job to train her. Lucy was a handful. Very high energy. I almost swore off beagles. Magnum is turning out to be a lot more mellow and well behaved than lucy. Lucy was a very aggressive player, but blue didn't seem to mind. We would squeak like we were hurt when she got too rough and she would get the message.
My "roommates" brother and sister in law have a couple dogs, a beagle and little mixed breed. They have always were just put in a crate to "train" them, and kept in the laundry room. They are older dogs now and have never been really trained to behave in the house. I can take mine anywhere and control them. They play with them in the yard a few times a day but even then they are not allowed to act like dogs. They are scolded for sniffing butts, sniffing the grass, or doing anything a dog is apt to do. I don't know why they bother even having a dog. They have a nice fenced yard, they could stay out there themselves for hours and play but they are not allowed.

When magnum goes to get something he's not suppose to have, I take it away and give him one of his own toys. This was really hard when lucy was a pup because she always wanted something she wasn't supposed to have. Luckily we were a member of a dog hunting club so we got tracking collars and let her burn off her beagle energy. Now she is almost 4, she started calming down a lot at 2.

I also try to discourage him from chewing on people. I give him a stick to chew on. Lucy was much worse about this. But even though she was pretty aggressive playing, she has never bitten and is not vicious. Her and blue carry on when they play and make a lot of noise like someone is getting mauled, but they actually are only making noise. If you stick your hand in there, they actually aren't biting at all.

So that's my advice, it's worth what you paid for it.   Here are some pics of my little beagle pack:

My new one, magnum the 13 inch rescue beagle. He is going to be such a good boy. He is bigger now, I need to load some better pics of him.

Here is Lucy. She was a typical redhead. I call her my heart that walks around outside of my body.

Here is blue and lucy together back in their trailing days.

Blue is the short one, she has dachound in her. She has always been a good girl. Magnum reminds me of her as a pup

Here is Blue, lucy, and abbie

a more recent one of little magnum. He is supposed to be a 13 inch beagle, like abbie used to be

Such a sweet little boy.

Puppies are a lot of work at first, if you want them socialized and well behaved. I keep mine on a routine, it helps prevent bad habits. They get more "privileges" as they mature. Our house is pretty big, we try to block off all the rooms when magnum is inside but it's hard to block off the den. It's going to be awhile before he can be trusted in the house. By a year old though I will have a well trained trustworthy doggie. I can sleep in then, in the meantime I'm sticking to our schedule.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Dont worry about him peeing in the same place. It also can takes weeks and weeks and even months to become full potty trained

As someone mentioned before handling food, bones and toys and taking it from him and making sure he doesnt bite...and dont confuse teething with biting...your wife and kids have to do this too....you have a LONG road ahead of you and the more you do now the better he will be later on...the first few months can be rough. But the reward from his unconditional love is priceless...I type this while my year old golden is sleeping to my left and my almost 3 year old Great Dane is to my right. God knows where are kids are...LOL
View Quote

Boy that's the truth. But time spent with him now will save time later on dealing with a bad doggie. A tired puppy is a good puppy. Magnum has energy cycles. He eats, snuggles, plays, and repeats. A long playtime with the big girls before bedtime ensures he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

He sleeps in the crate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I had read, but my reading also indicated this is a week/days long process and offered no guidance what to do up until that point.... Dog's gotta sleep...
He sleeps in the crate.

Dogs are smart.

Associate the crate with treats and praise and you will find him going in there himself.

It is never to be a punishment.

That is his space for safety and comfort.

The crate should only be large enough for him to stand up and turn around in.

Any bigger will promote him going to the back corner and doing his business.

Do yourself a favor pick up "The art of raising a puppy" by the monks of new skete

Potty training can be easily accomplished using their method of a trigger word.

Take puppy out for potty.

Use trigger word repeatedly until the puppy relieves himself, praise immediately.

Wash rinse repeat.

The dog will eventually go on command.

Magnum has been really good about this. He immediately pees when I put him down. Sometimes he will go on to make a little tootsie roll.

I like puppy breath.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't name him Dash. Gheyest name ever.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Cadoc.  Look it up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Just picked this cutie up yesterday. 7 week old Chocolate Lab. Wife named her Luna. She's a handful, wants to play with the older dogs (11yr old male Chocolate Lab, and a 6yr old male Brittany spaniel) but they are not really interested. I have been taking her out a little while after she drinks, and around an hour after she eats. Stay out until she goes, which peeing is pretty quick, and poop can be hit or miss. Last night was the first night and we have a small kennel in the bedroom, and she did well for a few hours after a couple minutes of whimpering. She woke us up a couple times whimpering, took her outside and she did her business and went right back to sleep afterwords.
ETA: it's freaking hard to get a puppy to sit still for a good picture LOL

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bought home this little pembroke welsh corgi puppy yesterday and still can't figure out a name.  We've narrowed it down to a few names, I'll put a poll up in a second.  

Next, a few questions.  FWIW I know next to nothing about dogs other than what I've read.

1.  The little guy wants to play way more aggressively with me than my wife.  Does this mean anything, or is it something I'm doing?
2.  He's 8 weeks old.  Should we try to crate him yet or is this an exercise in futility?  We put him in the crate last night, he whined for maybe 20 minutes and was out.  Despite being let out several times he still peed on the blanket in there.  We have a play pen for him, should we just put a bunch of absorbent pads down and let him do his thing until he's older and can hold it all night?  Get up to let him out every couple of hours?  
3.  I've seen a few people on here talk about how puppy breath is supposed to smell pleasant... his breath smells like turds (and he has not eaten any turds since we've had him) Is this bad?  He's going to the vet this week so we'll ask but this is contrary to what I've read.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, until then here's a pic:

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/pilotman66/IMG_1608_zps439a3252.jpg
View Quote

1. If he is going to get big , the sooner you teach him to pay nice the better
2. We crate train all of our dogs & just like a baby in a crib they may cry a few times the first few nights - but he will settle in nicely. Crate training works well for potty training , use newspaper early and when he messes on the paper take the paper outside and leave it in a spot . Take him to that spot every time you take him outside to do his business. I have never had a dog take more than a week. Soon he will not mess where he sleeps.
3. Puppy breath can smell like ass - it's normal
Cute puppy , be constant and reward good behavior. Start to treat him the way you want him to act when he is full grown - he will learn.
Buy him several chew toys , when he chews something you don't want him to chew - give him something he can chew.
When playing , try to make him bite the toys not your hands
Good luck , treat him like a member of the family and he will become one
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When people say "crate training" what they usually seem to mean is "I'm going to leave the pup in a crate all day".

All that will do is train him to be happy laying in his own filth. Puppies have small bladders, they have to go to the bathroom a lot. I just got a new pup too, here's what I do and have done with my past pups:

They don't get full run of the house, it's easier to keep bad habits from happening, than it is to correct them once they happen. Puppies are like babies, they are going to teeth chew and pee. And Poop.

I have a puppy proof mud room. When they are tiny pups they have a corral in there. I am also with them in there a lot of the time. I also have older doggies to help out. I keep him in the corral while at work, with a crate. I come home at lunch, let the older dogs out and play with him.

Now he is older so there is no corral, just the mudroom. He can stay in there relatively unsupervised, and use the doggie door. I still have pee pads, sometimes he uses those. I come home at lunch and let the big girls out there too. Everybody can get in and out. I actually have a gate up into the main house, they can see in but the pup can't get in the main house.

If the puppy is tired enough he can come in the main house and play on the couch or bed with the others. I keep a constant eye on him. If he sniffs or if it's been a half hour or so, I pick him up and take him outside. He always pees.  There has only been one or two accidents, I take him out a bunch so he associates peeing with going outside. The problem with little dogs and pups is that the house is big so they will go to the furtherest end and to them that is "outside".  When they get bigger this will no longer be an issue.

At night after play time we go out again, and he sleeps in a crate. If he whimpers at 0130, I get up and take him outside to pee. Actually this doesn't' happen anymore, he can sleep all through the night. He has never peed in his bedtime crate.

I leave for work at 0650, so I get up about 0500, maybe a little later, let magnum (my puppy) out and feed him. We play and socialize with the others. Then the big girls are put up and little magnum stays in the mudroom till lunch when we repeat the routine.

I think corgies are a lot like beagles, stubborn and high energy. Do you only have 1 dog? I've been spacing mine for years now and it really helps. The old ones train the young ones. I have an 11 year old beagle/dachound, and a 4 year old beagle. I got little magnum so by the time the old one is no longer with us Lucy will have a well trained buddy.

Before that I had an older beagle named abbie. When we got lucy it was abbie and blues job to train her. Lucy was a handful. Very high energy. I almost swore off beagles. Magnum is turning out to be a lot more mellow and well behaved than lucy. Lucy was a very aggressive player, but blue didn't seem to mind. We would squeak like we were hurt when she got too rough and she would get the message.

My "roommates" brother and sister in law have a couple dogs, a beagle and little mixed breed. They have always were just put in a crate to "train" them, and kept in the laundry room. They are older dogs now and have never been really trained to behave in the house. I can take mine anywhere and control them. They play with them in the yard a few times a day but even then they are not allowed to act like dogs. They are scolded for sniffing butts, sniffing the grass, or doing anything a dog is apt to do. I don't know why they bother even having a dog. They have a nice fenced yard, they could stay out there themselves for hours and play but they are not allowed.

When magnum goes to get something he's not suppose to have, I take it away and give him one of his own toys. This was really hard when lucy was a pup because she always wanted something she wasn't supposed to have. Luckily we were a member of a dog hunting club so we got tracking collars and let her burn off her beagle energy. Now she is almost 4, she started calming down a lot at 2.

I also try to discourage him from chewing on people. I give him a stick to chew on. Lucy was much worse about this. But even though she was pretty aggressive playing, she has never bitten and is not vicious. Her and blue carry on when they play and make a lot of noise like someone is getting mauled, but they actually are only making noise. If you stick your hand in there, they actually aren't biting at all.

So that's my advice, it's worth what you paid for it.   Here are some pics of my little beagle pack:

My new one, magnum the 13 inch rescue beagle. He is going to be such a good boy. He is bigger now, I need to load some better pics of him.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3950/15755908105_8b4b0e4068.jpg

Here is Lucy. She was a typical redhead. I call her my heart that walks around outside of my body.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3867/14628057198_631b625bf1.jpg

Here is blue and lucy together back in their trailing days.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8329/8120315082_97db958d22.jpg
Blue is the short one, she has dachound in her. She has always been a good girl. Magnum reminds me of her as a pup

Here is Blue, lucy, and abbie
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5615/14980633133_7f073a3ca4.jpg

a more recent one of little magnum. He is supposed to be a 13 inch beagle, like abbie used to be
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8667/15675944980_3b9f1e233a.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7507/15862655932_4090f7c584.jpg

Such a sweet little boy.

Puppies are a lot of work at first, if you want them socialized and well behaved. I keep mine on a routine, it helps prevent bad habits. They get more "privileges" as they mature. Our house is pretty big, we try to block off all the rooms when magnum is inside but it's hard to block off the den. It's going to be awhile before he can be trusted in the house. By a year old though I will have a well trained trustworthy doggie. I can sleep in then, in the meantime I'm sticking to our schedule.
View Quote

Thank you for this post... very informative.  This is our first and only dog.

I was hoping to have my utility room remodel ready by now as that would serve as a perfect puppy proof area but unfortunately the timing just didn't work out.  We've been letting him play in his playpen unsupervised and the rest of the downstairs only when supervised.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#30]
" />

One pic is a sweet little girl about 8 weeks old , the next is her looking at me now 8 months later and she weighs about 80 lbs at her last vet check up. She is a great Pyranees. She is a big, wonderful dog - so smart it's a pleasure to have have her .
She also just did her first big protective move - a stranger ( landscaper came to the door asking if we needed to have our leaves raked ) . Our little girl came up off the floor with a very deep , scary sounding woof , woof . The landscaper backed down our porch and halfway down our drive by the time I got to the door . He asked geez what kind of dog is that!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have the pionus anymore , gave him to a friend to breed when the GF moved in with two cats.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Watson or Dash! Corgis are great!

But they shed, ALOT!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Sabin
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#34]
one last poll bump...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Rip Van Tinkle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Cardiff
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1) He plays more roughly with you b/c you're male.

2) His crate is too large.  Did it come with a wire screen you can insert vertically to divide it into two smaller spaces?  If so, use it.  If not, it would be worth the expense to buy a second, smaller crate.  Don't expect him to be fully house-trained until he's around 5 months.  His muscles won't be developed enough to "hold it" until around then.

3) I don't understand the appeal of puppy breath, either.  It stinks.
View Quote

1 -  This, or Mom is the Alpha, you're a pack-mate.  Sorry.

2 - Yep.  Alternative to buying a smaller crate is to stick a couple cases of beer in the crate to take up space.  Basically, there should just be enough room to lay out flat on his side/turn around.  Limit water intake - nothing for several hours before bed time.  You also might get him checked for a urinary tract infection, particularly if he is peeing inside right after having been out.  Take treats with you on walks (small ones).  Give a treat immediately after he goes outside, along with praise like it's the best thing ever done by any dog in history - like within a second or two.  IMO, absorbent pads are a bad idea... they give mixed signals that it's OK to pee inside.  If he does, take him out immediately, even though the damage is done.  Don;t punish him though, and there are some that recommend not letting him see you clean it up.  Use Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle anywhere he's gone inside.

3 - Never had a puppy with stinky breath, so can't help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top