Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because they know the rules doesn't mean they follow them.
View Quote

You can be dead AND right.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, yes we do.
People who live in 5000lb cages not so much.
When all that is between you and the road is a thin piece of lycra you had better know what you are doing.
View Quote

Big affirm on this one. Cyclist have the same rights on the road as a car truck or motorcycle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup.

Definitely a cyclist mentality.    Because all that entitlement mindset really counts when you get squashed by any asshole in something that does have lug nuts.

Bike<smartcar<regular car<big car<big truck<18 wheeler.

See the direct correlation to lug nuts and mass?

It is okay if you do not.   Your cute angsty troll thread will doubtlessly have others try to explain it to you.

Oh but your pride and sense of well being from all that healthy exercise helps you feel confident that your choice is the smarter choice?

But go ahead and argue.

I got hit by 2 cars and a golf cart growing up as a kid before I learned to try to grow eyes out the back of my head and be wary of traffic.  And I deserved it every fucking time because I was at fault when my dumb ass put myself in a place that a bigger, heavier, faster object was trying to be.

Most other bikers seem to be tempting fate/darwinism with the shit they pull.   Its okay, 4k+ pounds at 25-40+mph versus your 150-300 pounds at 10-15mph.  Be as entitled to your behaviors as you want, it only takes one asshole, drunk, sociopath, or texting while driving type to make you a grease stain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They cause more accidents than car drivers, and too many of them don't understand the Lug Nut Rule.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Cite?

Bicycles do not have lug nuts and are thus exempt from the rule.

Yup.

Definitely a cyclist mentality.    Because all that entitlement mindset really counts when you get squashed by any asshole in something that does have lug nuts.

Bike<smartcar<regular car<big car<big truck<18 wheeler.

See the direct correlation to lug nuts and mass?

It is okay if you do not.   Your cute angsty troll thread will doubtlessly have others try to explain it to you.

Oh but your pride and sense of well being from all that healthy exercise helps you feel confident that your choice is the smarter choice?

But go ahead and argue.

I got hit by 2 cars and a golf cart growing up as a kid before I learned to try to grow eyes out the back of my head and be wary of traffic.  And I deserved it every fucking time because I was at fault when my dumb ass put myself in a place that a bigger, heavier, faster object was trying to be.

Most other bikers seem to be tempting fate/darwinism with the shit they pull.   Its okay, 4k+ pounds at 25-40+mph versus your 150-300 pounds at 10-15mph.  Be as entitled to your behaviors as you want, it only takes one asshole, drunk, sociopath, or texting while driving type to make you a grease stain.

I think you just helped prove the point that (most) Cyclist are safer on the road. I say most because there are dickheaded cyclist just as there are dickheaded drivers. BUT! Cyclist don't text or ride drunk but yeah some might be sociopaths.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oooohhhh    elitist cyclists!1!1  

Tier one peddle operator!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the difference?   Spandex?

A cyclist is an artist on two wheels. He knows what he's doing. As opposed to people who just fumble along trying to stay upright. Also if you're fat you can't be a cyclist. Or if you're riding a BMX bike on the road.

Only bicyclists are greater narcissists than BHO.

Count me as another 'cage' driver that almost got a red light running cyclist.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Q. Does a Cyclist  have to have a ( DL ) drivers licence?
and if not then,
how can they ride out there where the big boy pants are?
this is just for conversation purposes

I personally do not care one way or the other
heet quote ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPBJdg743cw
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be fair, it is a somewhat valid question in the context of this discussion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:...

How often do you break traffic laws on your bike?

You are clumsily attempting to re-characterize my love for the freedom of cycling as a rebellion against authority. Bullshit.

To be fair, it is a somewhat valid question in the context of this discussion.

I will admit flat out that when in a residential neighborhood - where I try to do most of my road riding - I will slow down, check all ways, and if there are no cars coming roll through stop signs.

Main roads I stop at all stop signs and traffic lights.  Not worth getting squished over to save 2 minutes.  If I am so concerned that my heart rate might fall out of zone during that time, I can get on the shoulder and do some jumping jacks to keep it up until the light changes.

I also try not to roll all the way up to the stop light and force all the cars to pass me again.  I will wait my turn, just like I would if I was a car.

The exception would be if I am making a right turn at the light.  I will proceed up to it and make a right on red, just like I do when I am driving and there is room to do it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You cyclist haters are gay!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
laws of physics > laws of man.

one will sometimes allow you to prevail.  The other takes no quarter.  Act accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Q. Does a Cyclist  have to have a ( DL ) drivers licence?

and if not then,

how can they ride out there where the big boy pants are?

this is just for conversation purposes

View Quote

Probably a combination of not having enough KE to do significant damage to vehicles and a lack of governmental ability to enforce something like that.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Big affirm on this one. Cyclist have the same rights on the road as a car truck or motorcycle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes we do.

When all that is between you and the road is a thin piece of lycra you had better know what you are doing.

Yet they will often times when convenient to them assume the rights of a pedestrian, or ignore all laws completely in manners that would vet vehicle drivers arrested.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yet they will often times when convenient to them assume the rights of a pedestrian, or ignore all laws completely in manners that would vet vehicle drivers arrested.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, yes we do.

Like complaining about a car passing them on the left and then turning...

Yeah, I usually pass slow moving vehicles on the left, and sometimes I turn after I do that too.
I also don't drive my vehicle up between traffic at a light and then go straight across in front of folks turning. Vehicles in a right turn lane do not look for someone to come up on their right and they DEFINITELY don't expect them to go straight if they do.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They cause more accidents than car drivers, and too many of them don't understand the Lug Nut Rule.

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, I usually pass slow moving vehicles on the left, and sometimes I turn after I do that too.

I also don't drive my vehicle up between traffic at a light and then go straight across in front of folks turning. Vehicles in a right turn lane do not look for someone to come up on their right and they DEFINITELY don't expect them to go straight if they do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes we do.

I fervently hope that both of your driving skills are better than your ability to get your thoughts across on the internet, or in Madcap's case, hitting the correct keys to spell words. So far the evidence is in support of cyclist's higher intelligence.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see more cyclists running red lights and stop signs than people driving cars, I have on more than one occasion about taken out a cyclist who ran a red light.
View Quote

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a driver make a full stop at a right on red when there was either no crossing traffic or the intersection was not a known red light camera intersection, me included.

The last few times I set my cruise control at 55 (posted limit) on the highway in the most rightward lane, there was lots of honking and gesturing behind me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
*yawn*

Treat cyclists like pedestrians, or they can register their bikes if they want to ride on main roads*.

To stop the "I cycle but pay registration for my car" guys... that's a terrible argument because you pay registration on eery car you drive.
View Quote

I don't pay registration on each pair of running shoes I own...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*yawn*

Treat cyclists like pedestrians, or they can register their bikes if they want to ride on main roads*.
To stop the "I cycle but pay registration for my car" guys... that's a terrible argument because you pay registration on eery car you drive.

So go run in traffic if you don't feel like following the laws of a pedestrian.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A Cambridge law firm, Irwin Mitchell, quizzed 7,000 people on the issue as part of Road Safety Week and the results reveal that much of the population is well versed in correct road etiquette and the laws – though there is still a large number who are unaware of correct behaviour.

Of the eight questions asked, however, cyclists scored 70 per cent correctly with drivers scoring only 58 per cent.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/cyclists-beat-drivers-road-safety-survey-146059

See if you can pick out the ignorant and unsafe road users in the below picture.

http://i.imgur.com/Efbbp5X.jpg

If you pointed to the cyclists, you fail.

View Quote

I first want to point out that neither group did well according to their percentages and also that the difference in the two scores was a single question. Sadly what this law firm is proving is that you can do a survey that is meaningless and people will actually believe that it has meaning.

If you thought that this survey had meaningful results, you fail.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#20]
if they could only figure out how stop signs worked.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I fervently hope that both of your driving skills are better than your ability to get your thoughts across on the internet, or in Madcap's case, hitting the correct keys to spell words. So far the evidence is in support of cyclist's higher intelligence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

That's some great big city thinking...
Guess who you're starting to sound like.
Same crappy non-arguments.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Cyclists piss me off sometimes but this is just .

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/nov/22/bicyclists-drivers-crashes-statistics/  

Sorry for cold link.

View Quote
You should have added that qualifier in your original post.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A Cambridge law firm, Irwin Mitchell, quizzed 7,000 people on the issue as part of Road Safety Week and the results reveal that much of the population is well versed in correct road etiquette and the laws – though there is still a large number who are unaware of correct behaviour.

Of the eight questions asked, however, cyclists scored 70 per cent correctly with drivers scoring only 58 per cent.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/cyclists-beat-drivers-road-safety-survey-146059

See if you can pick out the ignorant and unsafe road users in the below picture.

http://i.imgur.com/Efbbp5X.jpg

If you pointed to the cyclists, you fail.

View Quote

Knowing the law and following it are different things.  As far as unsafe, I bet the people in the cars are far less likely to be run over by a car.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
*yawn*

View Quote

+1 !!
not to mention that a video of one acting like a douche with a visible plate number in it, could start the beginning of the end of care-free douche behavior.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't even cycle but the irony from motorists is hilarious in this thread!

Cyclist have a sense of entitlement, then...they need to get out of my way!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
+1 !!

not to mention that a video of one acting like a douche with a visible plate number in it, could start the beginning of the end of care-free douche behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*yawn*

+1 !!

-1!!!

We even have the liberals on our side on this one; green transportation for all. Face it, haters: you'll never tax my bikes.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't even cycle but the irony from motorists is hilarious in this thread!

Cyclist have a sense of entitlement, then...they need to get out of my way!
View Quote
I think a simple split would be a good first step.

Going to ride in the road?  Follow vehicle traffic laws.

Don't want to? Ride on the sidewalk at a slow pace and follow pedestrian law.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

-1!!!

We even have the liberals on our side on this one; green transportation for all. Face it, haters: you'll never tax my bikes.

View Quote
Yep...
Big city thinker.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If it doesn't have a license plate it best get the fuck off the road.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#31]
yes, all cyclists understand that a stop sign is just a friendly suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

yes, all cyclists understand that a stop sign is just a friendly suggestion.
View Quote
It's even better when they are in a bike lane, come up to a stop, and then instead of stopping and waiting, switch to the sidewalk to use the crosswalk.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If it doesn't have a license plate it best get the fuck off the road.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]

After a google image search, I have concluded that she does that on purpose.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yep...

Big city thinker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-1!!!

Yep...

Big city thinker.

Funny thing, very few of other people on bikes who ride regularly that I know are liberals. The two liberals I know of live in one of the most conservative counties in the state. They're always talking about their Dem. party meetings and how small they are. I like to think of them as "quarantined".

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Funny thing, very few of other people on bikes who ride regularly that I know are liberals. The two liberals I know of live in one of the most conservative counties in the state. They're always talking about their Dem. party meetings and how small they are. I like to think of them as "quarantined".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-1!!!

Yep...

Big city thinker.

Too bad you're guilty by association.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Knowing how to do something, and doing it well.............Not necessarily one and the same.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He must be a pedalphile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the difference?   Spandex?

A cyclist is an artist on two wheels. He knows what he's doing. As opposed to people who just fumble along trying to stay upright. Also if you're fat you can't be a cyclist. Or if you're riding a BMX bike on the road.

He must be a pedalphile.

damn. I'm going to use that. LOL. pedalphiles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're kidding.. That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read.
But feel free to post facts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding.. That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read.
But feel free to post facts

I can't find fault with anything he said. maybe you're more than a little biased?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's pretty easy.

Is the road unclassified, service, or residential?  Just a person on a bike.

Is it a tertiary or higher classed road?  Pay up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

And how will we figure out who is a cyclist vs who is just a person riding a bicycle? This I think is an insurmountable problem that torpedoes the whole idea.

It's pretty easy.

Is the road unclassified, service, or residential?  Just a person on a bike.

Is it a tertiary or higher classed road?  Pay up.  

If we are going to expand the reach of the government more, I want spandex control.  There needs to be a max BMI for wearing it.    I would include yoga pants in with this.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You should put the Lays down and get off your recliner now and then. Road cycling is one of the few things you can do on the roadway where no one is telling you what to do - you are free to go where you please as fast as you please (or can manage).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd think you would have caught on by now.

You should put the Lays down and get off your recliner now and then. Road cycling is one of the few things you can do on the roadway where no one is telling you what to do - you are free to go where you please as fast as you please (or can manage).

hint:  someone is trying to tell you what to do. that's what that all that "knowledge" that cyclists are supposed to have that spawned this discussion.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I road bike quite a bit, on my vintage bike no less.

The big trick is I'm not a screaming idiot looking to get either A mangled or 2 run the fuck over so I stay on the actual little roads they make TO bike on in the area, which actually goes through better scenery.  

The one thing that confuses me though...  if my lard ass can ride at 16-18 mph all day long on a 30 year old bike...  why do people feel the need to spend thousands on bikes and gear to go 10mph on public roads?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The I don't have to follow the rules mentality.

The rules are for those of you who have need of them.  Those of us who operate on a higher plain have no need and are therefore exempt.

Next time you see a cyclist "run a light", do not judge... but stand in awe of a higher life form.
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/tuffguy1979/0gNvwh.jpg

Oh, good.  I was beginning to think that you were like the rest of the stunted humans you associate with.  

Understanding is the first step towards changed behavior.  Changed behavior is the first step towards not being an asshole on internet forums.
I road bike quite a bit, on my vintage bike no less.

The big trick is I'm not a screaming idiot looking to get either A mangled or 2 run the fuck over so I stay on the actual little roads they make TO bike on in the area, which actually goes through better scenery.  

The one thing that confuses me though...  if my lard ass can ride at 16-18 mph all day long on a 30 year old bike...  why do people feel the need to spend thousands on bikes and gear to go 10mph on public roads?

high five !
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, yes we do.

and yet not the same expectations. if a car was on the road going half of the posted speed and you were stuck behind it in your car, I'm sure you'd be a little bothered.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Meh, then why don't cyclists apply that knowledge and stop acting like dick heads out on the road??
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

high five !
View Quote

Yeah, that was my favorite post in the thread. Our hero is soooo much smarter than those dumb road cyclists, yet forgets if he's using A and B or one and two to count the ways other people are stupid in the five seconds or so it takes him to hunt and peck an "or".

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
*yawn*

Most people that I have seen running do so in the street.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

hint:  someone is trying to tell you what to do. that's what that all that "knowledge" that cyclists are supposed to have that spawned this discussion.
View Quote

eh, mainly I don't have to watch for cops telling me I have to slow down. I can bomb a descent and have a great time unlike in my car where I have to go the speed limit and it's mind numbing. At intersections I follow the law because it doesn't cost me anything and I don't want to get pasted anyway. I also find it's easier to keep a good situational awareness on a bicycle than in a car since situations are changing more slowly and there aren't any pillars blocking my vision.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

What classification of street?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Of course the folks riding bicycles in those images are generally not the issue. They are typically scarred to death of getting destroyed by a vehicle and follow the laws of physics accordingly on most occasions. There are lots of them like that, me included when I rarely do ride a bike around cars.

The problem cyclists are the hundreds of idiots running fixed gear bikes being hardcore to deliver some legal papers and such with radio constantly blaring the next pickup location in heavy metropolitan areas that utterly disregard any sort of rules of the road and imagine themselves as the following.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Then why the fuck do they ride on the white line seperating traffic from the bike lane instead of in the bike lane?

I'm a cyclist. I'd guess that 95% of cyclist are mentally retarded with only 5% of riders able to keep from endangering themselves and the public. Word isn't back yet on which group I'm in, but I sure as shit stay in the bike lane, or off the road damn road entirely. It's not safe to ride a bicycle on the street where traffic is thick, or moving faster that you can on a bike.
View Quote

Part in red is not entirely correct.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top