Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2014 3:00:27 PM EDT
I ended up buying a dealer new (10 miles on it) 2014 Civic EX for ~$18.5k.  I think I did pretty well.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/

I'm looking for a small, high MPG car for city driving.

Honda Civic is definitely high on my list.  I like the VW Golf as well, and it seems to be highly rated everywhere, but they're a bit more $$.  I'll probably buy a couple of years old.

The new Mazda 3's look really nice, but I think that's new styling for 2015.

The Fit is just ugly.

I'd buy a used Prius but they're kinda unattractive as well, but I haven't ruled it out.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Honda's or the Mazda . My Honda has been very reliable
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Used Prius? No. When they start having battery problems, that's when they get sold.

If I were looking at that list, The Golf and Civic would be the two I looked at.

Now tell us a little bit about what your Husband drives? I'm guessing a truck maybe?

Now if your husband starts looking for a higher MPG commuter truck, I would recommend looking at the Colorado.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't discount the fit so easily.  I've had one for 4 yrs and about 100k, and its been a great car.  Utterly reliable, nimble, great mpg, and surprising interior volume.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 08 Nissan Versa that has been utterly reliable over 85k miles..getting ready to buy a '15.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2008 Civic has been great to me. As is the trend with Hondas. Look at crash tests, too. The civic does impressively well in almost every category. Other cars don't always do as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for $21,000 and I get 40 MPG. Zero maintenance so far. 200 HP and comfortable as hell. That list is bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Id stay away from the VW's, reliability is a crap shoot with them. Either they are awesome or plagued with electrical issues
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The fit failed a few crash ratings, and it's mileage isn't that much better than the Civics.

I like the current Civic, I just hate it costs almost what the Accord does.

ETA: Unless you change cars because you get sick of them, you will have the Civic a Loooooooong time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my Toyota Corolla - by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. 17 yrs old and still going strong!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you are an electrical engineer pass on VW
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a GEO Metro that didn't have one problem for 150,000 miles. I don't think I even needed brakes. I did replace tires once. It got 50mpg + on the highway and mid 45-46 in town.

It was the first gen 3 cylinder. It had enough power for what it was too. We have gone backwards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't discount the fit so easily.  I've had one for 4 yrs and about 100k, and its been a great car.  Utterly reliable, nimble, great mpg, and surprising interior volume.
View Quote
This, but for half the time and mileage.

Makes me realize that you can do a surprising amount of stuff with a smaller car.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The fit failed a few crash ratings, and it's mileage isn't that much better than the Civics.

ETA: Unless you change cars because you get sick of them, you will have the Civic a Loooooooong time.
View Quote

Thanks for the info everyone.  I'm sort of heavily leaning toward the Civic.  The styling is agreeable, the MPG is good, it's not ungodly small, no worry of ever having to replace batteries, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Civic or Fit if I were in your shoes, the Golf is nice but just about everyone I know who's had a VW has had atleast one or two expensive or serious PITA to troubleshoot issues, maybe I'd consider the Golf if I was going for the GTi
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Id stay away from the VW's, reliability is a crap shoot with them. Either they are awesome or plagued with electrical issues
View Quote

Oh, come on.  My '99 Jetta burned up O2 sensors and catalytic converters  

I think VW has improved a lot but it might depend on where they are made.  The Jetta was Mexican.  My current Golf 2.5l / 5-speed (2011) is from Wolfsburg and has been awesome.  80,000 miles and hasn't even needed brakes.  They also have surprising interior space because they are tall.  Routinely gets 36 mpg on my 70 mile daily commute and lifetime gas mileage (computer keeps track of both) is 33.2 mpg.

But, I think they are moving Golf production back to Mexico.  Buy a '13 coming off a low-mileage lease.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2010 scion XD. It's ugly but made by Toyota 1.8l Corolla engine.

Totally reliable and often cheap because no one wants them.

It's small but due to the shape and fold flat seats there is more cargo room than a Civic or similar.

It's a little commuter car and not in any way cool but gas mileage  is good and it was cheap.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info everyone.  I'm sort of heavily leaning toward the Civic.  The styling is agreeable, the MPG is good, it's not ungodly small, no worry of ever having to replace batteries, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you get over the purchase price, it's all frosting.

I think the Civic is a good compromise between those who want a "real" car, but want the ease of ownership of a compact.

The aerodynamics on the Fit makes the mileage difference negligible.

I liked the Fit  as a small car choice until I read about the crash ratings and road noise issues.

They hold their value really well. (Civic)
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think VW has improved a lot but it might depend on where they are made.  The Jetta was Mexican.  My current Golf 2.5l / 5-speed (2011) is from Wolfsburg and has been awesome.  80,000 miles and hasn't even needed brakes.  They also have surprising interior space because they are tall.  Lifetime gas mileage (computer keeps track) is 33.2 mpg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think VW has improved a lot but it might depend on where they are made.  The Jetta was Mexican.  My current Golf 2.5l / 5-speed (2011) is from Wolfsburg and has been awesome.  80,000 miles and hasn't even needed brakes.  They also have surprising interior space because they are tall.  Lifetime gas mileage (computer keeps track) is 33.2 mpg.

Between the two VWs, how many recalls did you have?

My wife has had 2 Jettas, and I think we've had 4-5 recalls total, mostly for crappy electrical components.  Her current Jetta likes to eat light bulbs - tail lights, headlights, corners, etc.  They seem to be basically mechanically reliable, but plagued with obnoxious little electrical problems.  Other than that, they've been good cars.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Wife and i have owned 6 VWs dating back to a 1989 Golf.  Never had an electrical issue with any of them.  My parents are on their 4th VW and they've had one issue with a starter going bad...easily fixed.  Overall we're very happy with them and almost always feel like we get more than we pay for.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
6 speed manual Mazda 3. Because manual.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Chevy Cruze.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.

No.

All my VW problems have been plumbing related (water pumps, sunroof drains, etc) in an otherwise great car.

Being an EE hasn't helped.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#23]

I have had 3 Accords and now have a 2011 Civic. Not once have I not got my moneys worth out of the vehicle during regular use and when I went to sell it.

Sometimes they cost a little more than other comparable models but you will get it back if you halfway take care of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL.

No.

All my VW problems have been plumbing related (water pumps, sunroof drains, etc) in an otherwise great car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

No.

Most people have more electrical issues with VW than mechanical, and electrical is the reason I'll never own another.

OP should look hard at Hyundai, they are making some very nice, inexpensive cars these days.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]
There are two default choices you can make, op, and you already know what they are:
Toyota Corolla
Honda Civic.

The Corolla scores way down on the list because it lacks "value," that is, the interior is cheap, and it's probably not considered fun to drive.  It's a boring car that you have to pay a premium for.  The low ranking is not, however, from the car being unreliable.  The new corolla probably comes with old tech that's proven itself reliable in a previous generation, perhaps worked over to get a little more gas mileage or HP.  There may be better deals out there--perhaps deals that might be more fun to drive, but you traditionally have to take a gamble on them to find out how reliable they really are.

Pick one of the two, perhaps pick the stick model if you can manage and you really want it to be reliable, and, more likely than not, you'll only be spending money on mileage based maintenance, tires, brakes, batteries and two digit ticky tacky bullshiat like lightbulbs and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  My adventures with a New Beetle were like a financial chainsaw slasher movie. Instead of blood, I was bleeding dollars. I know some people like them, but I will never own a VW again. If you gave me one for free, I would only keep it long enough to sell it to somebody else.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a few of the Honda Fits in our fleet. So far they have been very good cars. My guys drive them all day long 6 days a week, so they get a work out.

I know it wasn't on your list but never, never, never even look at a ford fiesta..... Did I say never? Cause I mean never!!!
Biggest pieces of crap I have ever had. Can't wait for the tax appreciation to be used up so I can set those fucking things on fire.... And by that I mean sell to my wholesaler and never have to pay another fucking repair bill on them again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Have a look at the small car crash ratings, guess who was the only one that didn't fail ?

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140122/OEM11/140129973/chevy-spark-only-tiny-car-to-get-acceptable-rating-in-new-iihs-crash
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 6'5" and I love my 2007 Honda Fit (which is a Gen 1). The new Gen 3 is out. I did not like the Gen 2 at all - had one for a loaner car for a while.

My '07 Fit consistently gets over 40 mpg on the highway doing 80 mph. I use it for a commuting car for my 95 mile round trip commute each day.  

I've had a 97 Civic, and my wife just inherited a 2008 Subaru Legacy. I much prefer the Fit over both of those.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure if it's been posted, but seems like I read where Honda was having serious transmission issues. Maybe It's been fixed?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#31]
My 2005 Prius has survived 10 years and 202,000+ miles in the Arizona desert and has had zero problems.  I am currently getting 52.4 mpg. Maybe I just got lucky with a good one, but my next car will be a Prius.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My wife has had 2 Jettas, and I think we've had 4-5 recalls total, mostly for crappy electrical components.  Her current Jetta likes to eat light bulbs - tail lights, headlights, corners, etc.  They seem to be basically mechanically reliable, but plagued with obnoxious little electrical problems.  Other than that, they've been good cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the Golf, none that I am aware of.  The Jetta was a disaster on the other hand.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I'm gonna go with a 2014 Civic EX.  That seems like a lot of features + 40 mpg highway vs. anything else.  I spent so many hours reading yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Own a 2011 Fiesta. Love it from a commuter car perspective. Gas mileage is amazing, has more airbags than I can count, and is fairly spunky for something with the engine the size of a poodle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish people were more honest about what has broke on their car or thr gas mileage they get.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wish people were more honest about what has broke on their car or thr gas mileage they get.
View Quote

Amen

A lot of people complain about Jeep and Chrysler in general
But I've had good luck with them and I tend to drive vehicles pretty hard.

as far as Gas Mileage, My wrangler list it at 20 Mpg Highway,
but I was getting 22 if I keep it at the speed limit and drive resonably
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#37]
The Toyota Corolla is my go-to daily driver. My SO drives a Nissan Versa and that has been a very reliable, economic car as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#38]
With the exception of my F150 all I own, and have owned, are VW's and Audi's (for the last 20 plus years) and not a single issue other than the dreaded dead odometer and display pixels going out.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had a GEO Metro that didn't have one problem for 150,000 miles. I don't think I even needed brakes. I did replace tires once. It got 50mpg + on the highway and mid 45-46 in town.

It was the first gen 3 cylinder. It had enough power for what it was too. We have gone backwards.
View Quote

My first brand new car was a '92 Geo Metro.  I didn't own it long enough to do anything other than oil changes but it was cheap to buy, had A/C, and got awesome fuel economy.  It was a great car for a student like me at the time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#40]
The wive wants an XV Crosstrek or a Juke.

I want the turbo Juke.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I have 2012 Nissan Versa HB with 90000 miles on it.  Not a single issue.  My bud has my 2005 Nissan Sentra with 203800 miles on it and it is running fine with no issues.  Both cars have the 1.8 engine in them.  The downside to them is mileage.  My Versa can get 36 MPG if you keep it under 70.  I normally get about 33 MPG.  I would buy another in a heartbeat as long as it is a manual.  I have read bad things about Nissan's CVTs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Subaru FTW!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#43]
All of these are beige appliances, which is fine.  

Hyundai's and Kias will nickle and dime you to death and not be worth anything.  

Toyota and Honda are always solid choices-reliability and resale will always be better.  

I bought an 05 Corolla about the same time Dad bought an 05 Optima.  The Corolla never had any problems, the Optima had all kinds of little crap go wrong with it.  
It ate headlights, ignition switches, gear selectors, o2 sensors, and several other sensors. Brakes sucked.   He was happy to get rid of it last year.    

I put tires on the Corolla once.  Never even changed out the brakes.

My daily driver recently was a Scion xB.  It was kinda awesome--a cheap, quick Camry with lots of space.  However, gas mileage sucked due to it's unaerodynamicness.  It got around 25-26 mph, which the wife's awd Rav beat.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
6 speed manual Mazda 3. Because manual.
View Quote

That's what I bought, in the hatch. The 2014 and 2015 styling are the same from what I can tell.

With the manual trans it is fun to drive, auto feels sort of gutless (2.0L engine base model).  I get 37 average per tank commuting about half highway half city streets all shitty denver traffic and I have a lead foot when I get some open road, so I would think that's the low end of the range.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#45]
My '04 Saturn Ion has been a wonderful car. Fluids, filters, tires, and shocks are all it's ever needed as it approaches 160K. I have yet to take it in for the ignition switch recall as mine has not given me any issues. I swear the day this car dies I am going to fucking cry. This was my first "small" car and I really love the fuel economy. It used to get 38mpg driving mostly highway but now is probably around 35-36 mpg or so. I'll still take that any day of the week.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#46]
All small cars suck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#47]
give the Mazda3 a shot.  it was redesigned for 2014 and has much more room than you would think (the hatchback looks damn good imo).  40 mpg/hwy aint bad either
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Used Prius? No. When they start having battery problems, that's when they get sold.

If I were looking at that list, The Golf and Civic would be the two I looked at.

Now tell us a little bit about what your Husband drives? I'm guessing a truck maybe?

Now if your husband starts looking for a higher MPG commuter truck, I would recommend looking at the Colorado.

View Quote

What battery problems? I had one up to 65k miles and 0 problems with the battery. A guy at work has about 120k on his and no battery problems. Back in '09 or '10, there was a guy with a first gen Prius with 317,000 miles on the clock, on the original battery, with no problems.

Why will this battery myth never die? 'Sides, on a second gen Prius, if a battery fails out of warranty, buy a good one from a dismantler for a few hundred bucks.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

fuck that noise -electrical engineer

the civic is a proven reliable vehicle, as is just about anything hyundai.

avoid vw like the plague.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love my Chevy Cruze.
View Quote

I had one for a rental for several days a while back.  I don't know what trim level it was but it had the turbo 4.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the car, seemed pretty nice for what it was.  I would consider one if I were in the market.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top