Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/23/2014 2:33:20 AM EDT
Just out of curiosity, what is the price someone would pay being caught with one? Hauled away to the slammer and gun rights taken away on top of some serious fines?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere between the death penalty and a parking ticket.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
10 years prison.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure of the punishment, but I would assume it is likely an "add-on charge" for a bad guy.  But I am talking out of my ass.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I read the post then looked over at OP screen name and laughed. There's a joke there somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
10 years and $250,000 fine.

Don't indulge your curiosity. Pay the $200.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 years prison.
View Quote

I find this extremely hard to believe
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
10 years and $250,000 fine.

View Quote

Up to 10 years and $250,000 on a federal charge
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#9]
up to 10 years/$10,000, forfeiture of of all firearms in violation, loss of firearm ownership rights. they could also go after you for tax evasion, which is up to 5 years/$250,000
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
10 years of being Bill Gates' ass slave.
He's got connections.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Most of the people charged federally with an NFA violation get probation as long as they weren't intending on doing anything illegal with the NFA device.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:40:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 years prison.

You asked.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
i suggest you delete your thread, OP.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Most of the people charged federally with an NFA violation get probation as long as they weren't intending on doing anything illegal with the NFA device.

View Quote

I believe this.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Just stick a SIG  brace on it and be done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe this.

Here is a link to an ex FBI agent arrested with an oil can suppressor.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/22826549/former-tyler-fbi-office-supervisor-awaits-sentencing-on-weapons-charge

"Federal officials could not say when Brody might be sentenced, but did state the former agent could face up to 10 years imprisonment. However, one official said due to Brody’s cooperation, he could receive as little as five years probation."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6904946

This guy planned something bad and still got probation for an sbs

Speakman pleaded guilty to a federal charge of possession of an unregistered sawed-off shotgun. In February, he was accused of amassing a small arsenal of weapons and plotting to kill his wife and mother-in-law before storming The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Jordan River temple.

Another case I found was a felon rapper with illegal machine guns. He still got probation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would I delete my thread? The ATF going to come knocking on my door? Cus they aren't going to find any dirt on me, this is all out of curiosity
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Even if you end up getting just probation, I'm assuming you still lose all of your gun rights?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Even if you end up getting just probation, I'm assuming you still lose all of your gun rights?
View Quote

Of course.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 years prison.

In this day and age of Google, you can't figure this out?

Try this: Google "NFA violations" and you'll find plenty of references, up to and including the US Code. And yes, it's 10 years and $250K ($500K if it's a corporation). This is felony tax evasion. Oh, and you lose your firearm rights.

If you're incapable of this paltry level of research, you lack the level of responsibility to consider owning an NFA item. Go back to your airsoft.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Another story.

Back to Gazette Online
Logan businessman gets probation for gun charge

Tuesday July 31, 2001

By Lawrence Messina
STAFF WRITER

A Logan County business owner will not go to prison for converting a rifle into a fully automatic machine gun, a federal judge ruled Monday.

James Robert "Jimmy" Grimmett faced between a year and a half and two years behind bars under federal sentencing rules. But U.S. District Judge Charles H. Haden II departed from those rules after citing various aspects of Grimmett's case.

Grimmett, 37, instead will spend five years on probation, Haden ruled, with the first year of that term on home confinement. The judge also fined him $40,000, in lieu of a prison sentence.

Grimmett admitted in May that he tinkered with the Norinco MAK-90. Defense lawyer Gregory Campbell told Haden that Grimmett had no criminal intent.

"This weapon was converted for recreational purposes," Campbell said. "It was fired at a strip mine for that purpose and that purpose alone."

Campbell called Grimmett "a fine part of his community." He urged the judge to consider Grimmett's trucking company. Though he co-owns it with his brother, Logan County Assessor Rick Grimmett, the outfit would probably fold if Jimmy Grimmett were sent to prison, the lawyer argued.

"[Jimmy] Grimmett is the hands-on man. He's the only person who makes it work," Campbell said. "His brother's virtually never on the job."

Campbell said Grimmett deserved leniency because he immediately cooperated with the federal agents who seized the rifle and an identical weapon in January. Prosecutors dropped a second charge for the other rifle in exchange for Grimmett's guilty plea.

"He is guilty of this charge. There is simply no way around it," Campbell said. "But we do feel that it is an aberration."

Federal sentencing rules create a formula through which judges calculate sentences. Partly because Grimmett's crime involved a firearm, those guidelines called for a sentence of between 18 and 24 months. Pointing to Grimmett's "extraordinary acceptance of responsibility," Haden agreed to grant him leniency.

"This seems to be an unusually harsh guideline sentence, even at the low end," Haden said. "He's been a church-going person who's been vitally important to his community."

A number of people wrote letters to Haden on Grimmett's behalf, and several attended his sentencing hearing in Charleston. Grimmett also spoke briefly during the hearing.

"I'm sorry for what I've done," he said. "I've caused my family, I guess, a lot of embarrassment to me."
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not sure of the punishment, but I would assume it is likely an "add-on charge" for a bad guy.  But I am talking out of my ass.
View Quote

Actually the only case I have ever seen of this was just that. An add on charge. The guy was arrested for drug charges, according to the docket they searched his place, found a complete ar15  rifle, and a short barreled upper by itself and called it "Constructive intent to make an illegal weapon".

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Basically there's about a 1000 other ways to break the law that get you FARRRRR less significant sentences than fucking with anything NFA related.  It sucks, the ATF is gay, but follow the process and fight the battle a different way so your bhole doesn't get enlarged.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:00:41 AM EDT
[#25]
To the ATF agent reading this thread:

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I imagine with the ever increasing popularity of the AR platform that there are MANY questionably configurations out there either due to ignorance.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually the only case I have ever seen of this was just that. An add on charge. The guy was arrested for drug charges, according to the docket they searched his place, found a complete ar15  rifle, and a short barreled upper by itself and called it "Constructive intent to make an illegal weapon".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have a citation on this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#28]
You lose your gun rights, for life.
You can no longer vote, for life.
You are a felon and likely lose any chance of gainful employment in the six+ figure range. (not necessarily though)
You'll likely be bubba's bitch, or get reamed over a pallet of flour.
Up to 10K lighter in the wallet. This does not include lawyers fee's.

There is one plus, some bitchin prison ink.

Pay the two bills!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:25:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I read the post then looked over at OP screen name and laughed. There's a joke there somewhere.
View Quote

I look at OPs name and think of what might happen to him in prison

Then i look at yours and figured out a cucumber monkey could likely make him stretchy

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You lose your gun rights, for life.
You can no longer vote, for life.
You are a felon and likely lose any chance of gainful employment in the six+ figure range. (not necessarily though)
You'll likely be bubba's bitch, or get reamed over a pallet of flour.
Up to 10K lighter in the wallet. This does not include lawyers fee's.

There is one plus, some bitchin prison ink.

Pay the two bills!
View Quote

In most cases you don't lose your right to vote for life. Several states allow voting from prison, most states fall somewhere between only being able to vote while not in prison or the end of your probation.

Generally an in registered SBR according is going to get you a felony, loss of gun rights for life or at least the foreseeable future. Time in prison of 5 years or if you are lucky just probation and a fine in the $50k-100k range
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I remember reading that if a felon has an non-stamped weapon they can only be charged with felon in possession of a firearm.  Since, even trying to register it would be an admission of guilt hence would violate your 5th A.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#32]

There's a certain dissonance here on arfcom:

Generally, arfers applaud the low percentage of people who register their so-called 'assault weapons' in ban states.  This usually comes with howls of molon labe and from my cold dead hands.

And then most arfers act revulsed that someone would even think of not complying with some part of the NFA.  This is followed by suggesting the thread topic is so horrid that it should be deleted.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has spotted this inconsistency.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

10 years prison.

... go ahead, they're looking for an example
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Depends on a shit ton of factors. Can be prosecuted locally or federally. I've seen one case go as low as probation for the SBR, with succesfull completion of probation resulting in it being expunged from the record.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Finally someone posts the truth and not something out their ass. If you have a clean record up to that point....probation. This PO confirms.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Generally, arfers applaud the low percentage of people who register their so-called 'assault weapons' in ban states.  This usually comes with howls of molon labe and from my cold dead hands.

And then most arfers act revulsed that someone would even think of not complying with some part of the NFA.  This is followed by suggesting the thread topic is so horrid that it should be deleted.

View Quote

To be fair, in most of the recent bans passed throughout states, there is no way to pay a tax and get a new banned item.

For example, there is no (legal) way to get an new AR15 with all the features in california today, without a permit the CA DOJ won't issue to regular people.

I'm sure if people in NY,NJ, CA, MA, etc could pay $200 and buy a new AR15 today, they would.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why would I delete my thread? The ATF going to come knocking on my door? Cus they aren't going to find any dirt on me, this is all out of curiosity
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would the ATF knock on their own door Mr. Agent man?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To be fair, in most of the recent bans passed throughout states, there is no way to pay a tax and get a new banned item.

For example, there is no (legal) way to get an new AR15 with all the features in california today, without a permit the CA DOJ won't issue to regular people.

I'm sure if people in NY,NJ, CA, MA, etc could pay $200 and buy a new AR15 today, they would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I was thinking more of people refusing to register weapons they already have.  

But using your example, you don't ever hear arfers suggesting people should build their own MG's if they can't afford a registered one.  Heck, they would recommend immediate disposal of any such unregistered weapon.

I just hear some people talking so tough about new laws when they are so compliant with similar laws that they have grown up with.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Ask Randy Weaver what an SBS got him.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ask Randy Weaver what an SBS got him.
View Quote

Speaking of Randy Weaver....

I made a thread on here about my planned Form 1 SBS.

An 01'er decided to make his first post debut in my thread stating that I will end up like Mr Randy.

I've never heard of anyone getting 10 years prison and a $250k fine.

more like up to 10 years and up to $250k.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#42]
13ers gonna 13
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
13ers gonna 13
View Quote

It seems like a valid question due to the varied answers he received.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#44]
A while ago, we had an "ask a guy, who just spent a year and a half in prison for nfa violations anything thread". It was interesting before the thread got shitcanned.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not revulsion. I'd love to see the NFA removed from the books.

It's a combination of not wanting the person in question to get charged with a felony, not wanting the site to look bad for supporting a felony, and suspicion that such questions are an attempt to persuade somebody to conspire to commit a felony.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Prepper your anus
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus 1.

Screams come and take it while wiggin the fuck out over a glock with a forward grip on gun broker.

Bottom line, like the feds on immigration, they don't have the assets to enforce the NFA alone so unless you get caught selling guns to gang members or your meth gets raided, the chances of one getting tagged for an NFA violation are about the same as going to Mars.

Ever notice how the majority of posters in the SBR post threads don't have engravings....  yet you never here about the atf showing up at sombodys home.  Odd...

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

who was the arfcomer that lent out his ar15, then got sold down the river by the guy he lent it to.  BATFE tards pulled out all the stops to get him to.  must have been 5ish years ago.
View Quote
I vaguely remember that.

Wasn't it a malfunctioning (doubling) Olympic arms AR he was going to sell to someone? It wasn't modified, it was defective if I recall. Makes no difference to them. He got prison time.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ever notice how the majority of posters in the SBR post threads don't have engravings....  yet you never here about the atf showing up at sombodys home.  Odd...

View Quote

A lot of engravings have member's actual names in them, a lot of people don't feel comfortable showing off information like that in pictures on the internet on a gun website.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top