Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/22/2014 8:46:22 PM EDT
Two weeks ago I had my shoulder replaced.  There is a portion of my incision that hasn't healed as well as the rest, it appeared to have a piece of scab protruding.  I tried to pull it off and...damn, it's stuck.  Soaked it a bit to get dried blood off and it's frickin' gauze embedded in the wound.  Squeezing the area, it's probably a lump of gauze about the size of a small grape.  Doctor never mentioned anything left in the incision area or that any follow-up on the area would be necessary.

So, options are: Contact a medical professional for advice OR ask the drunks of ARFCOM if I should continue yanking on it with tweezers (I'll upgrade to pliers if I can get enough out)!

UPDATE: It was lump of suture that I was rejecting, everything is ok.  I appreciate the offers to split my stuff up, but all my guns and ammo were lost in a boating accident a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The necrosis will likely make the decision for you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Just yank on it.  Probably like a bandaid - rip it off quick.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
In

post video then Lawyer Up
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Pic?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
At this hour I'd go to the ER.
Seriously.
Now.

Your discharge instructions from your surgery probably say you should go to the ER.

You are looking at a potentially life-threatening infection.

There is NOT supposed to be gauze embedded in your tissue.

Do it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics of the bloody tampon.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
pull it out, no pics of the puss are needed and then use quick clot to seal it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Cut it open and pull it out, what's the worst that could happen
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
have an urgent care PA rip it out before you get toxic shock or gangrene or something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a pocket knife don't ya?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
So when is your next scheduled Dr's visit? Open packing?

j/k

Go to ER.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pic?
View Quote

Duh.... Picts man!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seriously.

Now.
View Quote

No infection, just a foreign body in my arm.  I'm still working on getting enough out to take pliers to it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Had the same thing after elbow surgery. Mine was the end of a "biodegradable suture". Don't recall the actual name. Looked a lot like the end of a thin wet spaghetti noodle barely sticking out of the incision.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No infection, just a foreign body in my arm.  I'm still working on getting enough out to take pliers to it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

Now.

It's an ideal pathway for an infection to get started.  This is serious stuff.

BTW have you read your discharge instructions?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Duh.... Picts man!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic?

Duh.... Picts man!!

Not gnarly enough yet, I need to get an amount out that can be pulled on, it's stuck in there pretty good!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it a suture?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Pictures???
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Somebody forgot to do a sponge count. And it's weird it was missed on the post op x-rays.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

Now.

Instructions? Pffffftttt!  I'm a male.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Seriously.

Now.

Your discharge instructions from your surgery probably say you should go to the ER.

Do it.

View Quote

This is good advice and you'd be wise to follow it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds a lot like a stitch abscess with a vicryl suture poking out.

I don't want to make any crazy suggestions like going to your follow up appointment and asking the surgeon about it, but...maybe you should go to your follow up appointment and ask the surgeon about it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it a suture?
View Quote

That's what I thought, but it's white and looks like the edge of some gauze, hard to see at the angle, but appears to be woven.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
What are you waiting for? GO GET DAT $$$ BRO!!!1!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Somebody forgot to do a sponge count. And it's weird it was missed on the post op x-rays.
View Quote

No post op x-ray until 30 day mark...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#26]
You need to be seen by a physician. You may need antibiotics.

A prosthetic joint is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. The body has a difficult time clearing infected prosthetic joints.

Go in now unless you would like to take the chance of having your shoulder RE-replaced.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't think that's quite right.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I think that warrants a call to the doc.

Could be gauze, could be suture, could be some of the material used in reconstruction, etc. In general, we try to leave inside parts inside the body and not leave outside parts halfway in and out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
vice grips
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#30]
have a few beers, it will help you decide what to do
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sounds a lot like a stitch abscess with a vicryl suthttp://www.ar15.com/biz/engine/click.html?id=814&z=7ure poking out.

I don't want to make any crazy suggestions like going to your follow up appointment and asking the surgeon about it, but...maybe you should go to your follow up appointment and ask the surgeon about it.
View Quote

Had a follow up three days ago, he never mentioned it, I didn't realize what it was at the time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys are slackin.  Dibs!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody gets a post op X-ray in PACU (you were coming out of anesthesia and don't remember it).
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Why the fuck do people post threads like this without pictures?

And get your damn ass to the doctor.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At this juncture: IN!

I'd at least be on the horn to the docs office if they didn't mention anything about sutures or anything left behind... When is your post-op?

If its a suture... pulling on it might not be the best idea.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

Now.

Do it.

I would do this they left a gauze pad in my leg during an operation years ago and it got infected because of it. I would err on the side of caution, Go get it looked at.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Dude thats some medical malpractice shit right thur! But seriously thats some fucked up shit, mate. That is straight up negligence on everyone in that OR because they do make counts of what goes in and what goes out. Not trying to freak you out, but that is a serious risk for infection which could lead to sepsis. Go into the ED, have them take a look, lawyer up, and enjoy the money that you will receive from the lawsuit!

-Cardiac/Transplant ICU RN
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Get to the ER. Call your surgeon's answering service as well as your PCP's to give them a heads up.

And better call Saul
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Had a follow up three days ago, he never mentioned it, I didn't realize what it was at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds a lot like a stitch abscess with a vicryl suthttp://www.ar15.com/biz/engine/click.html?id=814&z=7ure poking out.

I replaced a shoulder on Friday.  There's not a lot of room to leave a sponge in there, although its conceivable.  You likely have a subdermal vicryl suture with a knot poking through, it's relatively common and it's not hard to grab it and trim it down.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Keep digging at it.  Maybe he left his Rolex in there too!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I replaced a shoulder on Friday.  There's not a lot of room to leave a sponge in there, although its conceivable.  You likely have a subdermal vicryl suture with a knot poking through, it's relatively common and it's not hard to grab it and trim it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boom.  WedMD just confirmed.  Grab some whiskey and yank that bitch outta there!

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only seen black or dark blue vicryl sutures, this is white.  Just haven't seen a white vicryl.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Pictures
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've only seen black or dark blue vicryl sutures, this is white.  Just haven't seen a white vicryl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some vicryl is dyed violet,  I don't know anyone that uses it unless the circulating nurse grabs the wrong suture.  PDS or prolene may be blue but i dont use that unless its an infection or possibly revision case with lots of scar tissue.  Typically the vicryl I use is white and is braided - the cut end can fray and appear like a tiny piece of gauze.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Pretty sure it is about damn near impossible to leave gauze/ pads in patients anymore unless they mean to (they actually scan you with a wand after the surgery is over).

Could be a absorbable gauze (helps stop bleeding) like surgicel. Just call and ask tmrw or monday.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Probably un-dyed sub-q sutures.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Are you sure it's not a Junior Mint?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've removed colorless sutures before.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#50]
First, read the discharge instructions.

Second, if nothing is mentioned on the instructions, surgeons usually have 24 hour on call doctors.  Call the on call first to see what they say.

If neither are satisfactory to you, go to urgent care or the ER.

Don't mess with your shoulder.

ETA: Looks like some medical professionals are checking in.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top