1987 called...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's cold where I live.

Leather doesn't keep you warm.
View Quote

I've got a suede leather one with a wool liner that you will melt in. Very 70s [probably because it IS from the 70s ] weights about 10 lbs but one hell of a "walkin in the woods" coat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1987 called...
View Quote

To say that Cowboy boots are coming back?

Because they are.

Nothing stays out of fashion forever.

I was around for the original bell bottoms, saw them come back in the early 90's and again in the mid 00's.
Unfortunately, this means we'll likely see the three button suit revive, again, some time in my lifetime.
At least we have about 10 years or so before that happens, thank goodness.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I still wear one, but only to my PETA meetings.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1987 called...
View Quote

In my case it's more like 1947
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, ever since I started flying. USN G1 Made in USA.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]

It's the jackeeeet
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]

I have one similar. No stripes or chest pocket's though. I swear it weighs 5 lbs. Warm as can be

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have quite a few leather jackets. Most from my motorcycle days. My favorite is the one I was wearing when I wrecked my bike. The tough leather and armor kept me from getting injured worse than I was. That jacket hangs in a place of honor in my closet.
I love leather jackets, but I don't get to wear them much in Florida.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I think wanna be Italian mafia d bag when I see someone wearing these
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's cold where I live.

Leather doesn't keep you warm.
View Quote
I have a sneaking suspicion that's from not doing it right.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a sweat duster.  Pretty much like this one.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple, but I never wear them. I switched to down. Lighter and warmer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I've wanted to buy a leather coat for years but Texas winters don't really merit the expense.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the Jacket from "War of the Worlds". It's actually the most comfortable thing I've ever worn.

I also inherited a black jacket from my grandpa. It's a little small for me, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't since the Aigner coat I had thirty years ago.  Looked great on the hanger, but heavy as hell and not a bit of warmth to it.  My husband has an A-2 style jacket that he wears occasionally.  My penultimate love has a beautiful blue, glove leather Johnston and Murphy jacket that I ate beans and rice for two months to buy him. He's afraid to wear it because he knows it's going to be a murder-suicide if he messes it up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Been wearing the same jacket for almost 20 years.

We hit the ground pretty hard back in 2010.  A little repair and black dye made it as good as new.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a leather jacket that I wear when it's cold enough and a leather trenchcoat I wear when it's brutally cold out and I have to be in it awhile.

The trench was my first major clothing purchase when I started getting out and on my own.  It doesn't get much wear and it's still practically new.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I haven't since the Aigner coat I had thirty years ago.  Looked great on the hanger, but heavy as hell and not a bit of warmth to it.  My husband has an A-2 style jacket that he wears occasionally.  My penultimate love has a beautiful blue, glove leather Johnston and Murphy jacket that I ate beans and rice for two months to buy him. He's afraid to wear it because he knows it's going to be a murder-suicide if he messes it up.
View Quote

I bet your living room furniture is covered in plastic.

Aunt Doris, is that you?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No kidding?   I'm thinking this one is horse as well.  It's really heavy for it's size, doesn't water spot in the rain, and in general has a really different texture and feel than cowhide.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/thejackal72/05-18-08_0148_zps3ed7f85c.jpg

Don't know much about it.  From what I've been told it's 1940's French.  Only tag is in French stating it's Vegtible oil tanned.

I had one similar to that in horsehide. My Dad bought it in the late 40s but only wore it a couple of years before he out grew it. He gave it to me when I was big enough to wear it. I wore that thing until the lining fell out of it.
No kidding?   I'm thinking this one is horse as well.  It's really heavy for it's size, doesn't water spot in the rain, and in general has a really different texture and feel than cowhide.

It's my understanding that horsehide is more dense than cowhide. Mine said horsehide on the label, I think it even said something like "front quarter".
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a black collared leather jacket that I'll wear when it's windy/cold but not rainy/frigid.

They do seem to have gone out of style a bit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an A2 but I don't wear it too often anymore. Really kinda makes me look like a wannabe. But I will be that wannabe once I finish building my plane!

Actually I'll wear it partially as a wannabe and partially because, well it's designed for flying. The short coat is convenient and designed around a cockpit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have an A2 but I don't wear it too often anymore. Really kinda makes me look like a wannabe. But I will be that wannabe once I finish building my plane!

Actually I'll wear it partially as a wannabe and partially because, well it's designed for flying. The short coat is convenient and designed around a cockpit.
View Quote

Tactical soft shells look way more wanna be than leather jackets.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do.  Young guys don't seem to anymore.

I don't wear the Top Gun kind.  I pretty much only wear black ones.  Conservative cut.

I only ask, as I was leather treating both of my jackets today.

I have one in black that looks sort of like this, but with a traditional collar.

I'm no Fonzie, but I'm keeping the leather jacket alive in my corner of the world.

Anybody else doing so?

http://www.andrewmarc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/2500x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/M/M/MM4U1140-1-BRW_12.jpg  
View Quote

Only if they say Harley Davidson on them, I gotta let evryone know what a hardcore badass I am.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Warmest coat I own

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the 80s I had a genuine Navy G1 goatskin flight jacket. No insulation to speak of but when worn as a shell, kept me warm in the shittiest SE PA weather. After I outgrew it I replaced it with a lightly bomber jacket from a mall store, that lasted me at least 10 years. The zipper broke and I go rid of it. I wouldn't fit into either of them now, anyway.

I currently have a black leather sport coat type jacket. I rarely wear it and I don't know if it even fits.

I should pick up another G1.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top