BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, it didn't.  In fact, it's one of the best SF films in quite some time.
View Quote

NO.

Strong force, weak force, gravity...love. That there is some gooood science.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's probably a better movie if you understand science and have a rudimentary comprehension of relativity.
View Quote

And how love effects it.

It sucked.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They explained the time relativity angle no less than 4 or 5 times.   Here's a snapshot:

Time for you while close to super-massive black hole     |.....|

Time experienced by those not close to super-massive black hole |....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................|
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tell me this...how is it that coop and the broad never aged?they were in a worm hole?i thought the whole crew went into the worm hole?it was waya,way,way far fetched.big disappointment...,.contact was way better!

They explained the time relativity angle no less than 4 or 5 times.   Here's a snapshot:

Time for you while close to super-massive black hole     |.....|

Time experienced by those not close to super-massive black hole |....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................|

Kind of odd that he would say that considering that time relativity was the ending explanation behind Contact.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your spelling of "Interstellar" sucks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
me and the old lady watched it last..almost left 45 min into it...we were completly mind fucked!acting sucked to!fuck that movie

Bad grammar too--it's "The old lady and I".
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

me and the old lady watched it last..almost left 45 min into it...we were completly mind fucked!acting sucked to!fuck that movie

Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone who refers to their wife as "the old lady", to  grasp any movie more complex than "ASS!: The Movie"......

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Unless the black hole is controlled by a civilization that can control gravity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's probably a better movie if you understand science and have a rudimentary comprehension of relativity.

You mean like the part when the guy in the spacesuit falls into a black hole and winds up in some weird library?

I missed that understanding of science and relativity when I took physics courses back in college.

Hell, they even explained that part. Google tesseract (not the comic version) to understand what the library was.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You have a whole lot of 'splaining to do to 'splain away how somebody can fall into a black hole and live to tell about it.

Ever hear of the concept of terminal velocity?  Here on earth it is approximately 122 MPH with earth's measly gravity.    In a black hole it would be about a trillion times faster.  

Unless the black hole is controlled by a civilization that can control gravity.

...and that, my friend, is where you have to do the 'splaining.

Of course science fiction only exist in the minds of the writers so I guess nobody has to explain anything, right?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your post is a black hole for spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering Christopher Nolan is the master of forced fed exposition, you really don't have an excuse for missing all 5 scenes he intentionally filmed to explain what you missed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 op was just confused with all the equations on the chalkboard
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I think some people didn't like the movie because they didn't understand it, and some because they think it makes them look smart.  Some are one pretending to be the other.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I for one agree with the op. Saw it with the lady friend. Not worth 20 bucks. Good visuals but terrible acting. Should have seen fury again...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Im beginning to see a common theme here between grammer nazis and science nerds...it wasnt all bad..it got a road hummer on the way home
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone who refers to their wife as "the old lady", to  grasp any movie more complex than "ASS!: The Movie"......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That movie was shit! Giant plot holes!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
What!?
You mean someone out there doesn't like something that I like?
Well, that must mean they are stupid and rude and ugly and I must therefore insult them with impunity!

GD: The fountainhead of righteous indignation.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You have a whole lot of 'splaining to do to 'splain away how somebody can fall into a black hole and live to tell about it.

Ever hear of the concept of terminal velocity?  Here on earth it is approximately 122 MPH with earth's measly gravity.    In a black hole it would be about a trillion times faster.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like the part when the guy in the spacesuit falls into a black hole and winds up in some weird library?

I missed that understanding of science and relativity when I took physics courses back in college.

Hell, they even explained that part. Google tesseract (not the comic version) to understand what the library was.

Relative to what?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
And how love effects affects it.

It sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It sucked.

Can somebody plot the 'IQ to Interstellar Sucked' graph?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Reminded me too much of Kubrick's 2001: ASO,  at first the story was then went to and the last 20 minutes was .

My intellect is best represented in the medium of emoticons.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Great movie,

I knew the end before I got halfway through.. didn't bother me though..

They explain the therory of relitivity very much if you are watching the movie.  

The reason they noth did not age is because they were both together through out the entire thing, wjen they went down to the water, every hour there was equal to seven years in normal time.

The same thing with the ending, when they went into the singularity it was goimg to push them 50years ahead. They explained that only gravity was able to travel back through time,

It can be difficult to understand if you don't pay attention,

Mathew m was great in it,

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sucked.

Oh, I swapped a word.
I iz dumb now, not like all the smart people who thought that a movie that was supposed to be science fiction that put love in the same category as the fundamental forces was awesome.
You liked Twilight too, didn't you?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, since these types of threads always end up with jerks talking shit instead of actually explaining anything, i will help you out.

Gravity affects time, and places with very high gravity, such as a black hole experience very distorted time relative to someone outside of the high gravity area. this is called time dilation and for people inside the high gravity region, time appears to move normally, but for anyone outside looking in, they would essentially be ageing very very slow. that is why coop and brand were only gone for a few hours but the black guy who stayed behind aged 24 years. it was because of Gargantua's massive gravity.
View Quote

Hold on.  Are you saying I age faster if I'm around fat people?  I want reparations!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Lmao

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Interesting. What particularly about the science did you find unpalatable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That must be it.

Naw, that can't be it or it would have been rated PHD.

It was a fucking mess from a scientific as well as entertainment standpoint.

It is the bastard child of 2001 and Pulp fiction.  

Interesting. What particularly about the science did you find unpalatable?

Well we can start with the fact that, in order for a ship to enter and then leave conditions with the extreme time dilation as seen in the movie in such a short period of time, the ship would require more delta-v and acceleration than it could plausibly have with any propulsion method yet conceptualized as a real technology.

Then we can move on to: Habitable terrestrial planets orbiting a black hole do not work, at all, under any circumstances, ever.

How about the completely unrealistic portrayal of wormholes? Total bullshit, what was shown in the film doesn't even resemble the theorized wormholes in actual science. Hollywood bullshit.

Then we can tackle the issue of them traveling tens of thousands of AUs in a few hours, and at the same time making massive trajectory alterations in seconds on a ship with limited delta-V. These two things are mutually exclusive.

No spaghetti effect when he got close to the black hole?

The movie was scientifically retarded.

All the fucking people in this thread, thinking that Interstellar was so smart, and acting like those who see it as the steaming pile of shit it is don't understand science. It's laughable. The movie is less scientifically valid than Star Wars.

Have you guys heard of the Time Masheen ride? It's great, and all science-y too. You guys will love it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And how love effects it.

It sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how love effects it.

It sucked.

I noticed no love effects.  No bare boobs, no splooge, nada.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

OP...what if I told you Time was not constant....but relative to speed.....yeah, I know....mind blowing!

http://maxlevelgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/morpheus.png  
View Quote

Not to mention Gravity.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Images of a guy wearing a dirty wife-beater, with a 2 day old beard, open mouth and bad dental work come to mind.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's sure no "dude where's my car".
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Oh, I swapped a word.

I iz dumb now, not like all the smart people who thought that a movie that was supposed to be science fiction that put love in the same category as the fundamental forces was awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sucked.

Oh, I swapped a word.

Not as much as Hunger Games.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I liked it
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think I see the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tell me this...how is it that coop and the broad never aged?they were in a worm hole?i thought the whole crew went into the worm hole?it was waya,way,way far fetched.big disappointment...,.contact was way better!

OP Bro don't space time yo
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I want to see it for the effects alone. They actually had a physicist write up the math for the computers to create the simulations of what a wormhole would look like. It actually behave differently than expected. Some frames took 100 hrs to render.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I want to see it for the effects alone. They actually had a physicist write up the math for the computers to create the simulations of what a wormhole would look like. It actually behave differently than expected. Some frames took 100 hrs to render.
View Quote

Two scientific papers have been written as a by-product from the work done producing the computer models of the black hole in this movie.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I saw it yesterday night...I liked it until the very end with coop and the bookshelf...I thought that was so stupid. I was laughing very loud in the theater.
View Quote

1st time I agree. 2nd time understood the little details I missed the 1st time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:39:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's a movie with Matthew McConaughey in it. Get off that high horse.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a movie with Matthew McConaughey in it. Get off that high horse.  

lol

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It was ok, only other gripe of mine is why did he get dropped in the orbit of jupiter knowing his o2 would run out way before he
could be rescued.
View Quote

Saturn. It was Saturn. Note the rings?

Do you think he really had a choice where the beings put him?

Oh, and the concrete space station was out there. They rescued him. So it seems they put him right where he needed to be.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:45:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"45 minutes in I realized I didn't have the requisite mental capacity to understand it, so it sucked."
View Quote

Spot on!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Haven't seen it yet but I heard he was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#41]
i've come to the conclusion. if GD hates it. its a good movie.

its in the top 100 on IMDB :/
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. Far from perfect but I really enjoyed it.

It get bonus points IMO simply for not being a sequel or a reboot, and for not being based on either a line of toys, a board game, or a comic book. Everyone bitches about Hollywood not being original anymore, so I think Nolan deserves some credit for that at least.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It get bonus points IMO simply for not being a sequel or a reboot, and for not being based on either a line of toys, a board game, or a comic book. Everyone bitches about Hollywood not being original anymore, so I think Nolan deserves some credit for that at least.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a movie, I liked it.

But the folks acting like it's scientifically grounded are fucking retarded.

They got the simple Newtonian physics of the ship on camera more or less right though. I'll give them that. A miracle in a mainstream film.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, one thing you have to understand about these "realistic" space travel movies is the concept of "time dilation". Time is not a fixed property of the Universe. It is very relative depending on speed and or gravity. The reason the astronauts didn't age and everyone on earth did was due to the massive warping of spacetime from Black Hole "Gargantua" on the other side of the worm hole.

I don't know if you caught that little bit about the reason the wreckage on the water planet looked so new was that it had just happened before Coop landed but it took several years for their message to reach earth and another couple of years to fly another ship to find out what happened to the original explorers. The couple of extra minutes that they wasted flying close to Gargantua and dodging the waves on the water planet set them back 20 years in earth's local time.

Relativity
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, one thing you have to understand about these "realistic" space travel movies is the concept of "time dilation". Time is not a fixed property of the Universe. It is very relative depending on speed and or gravity. The reason the astronauts didn't age and everyone on earth did was due to the massive warping of spacetime from Black Hole "Gargantua" on the other side of the worm hole.

I don't know if you caught that little bit about the reason the wreckage on the water planet looked so new was that it had just happened before Coop landed but it took several years for their message to reach earth and another couple of years to fly another ship to find out what happened to the original explorers. The couple of extra minutes that they wasted flying close to Gargantua and dodging the waves on the water planet set them back 20 years in earth's local time.

Relativity
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Relativity

Oh, great, another person who doesn't understand that, for relativity to apply in the scenario shown in the film, the ship would require laughably unrealistic levels of thrust and total delta-v.

The movie is scientifically full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh, great, another person who doesn't understand that, for relativity to apply in the scenario shown in the film, the ship would require laughably unrealistic levels of thrust and total delta-v.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Relativity

The space ship propulsion is never explained but they are not using 2014 tech. Interstellar is supposed to be in the future ~ 2040 to 2050. They have some future form of propulsion that doesn't take up a lot of space like hydrogen or solid rocket fuels. They fly back and forth between planet and the mother ship and can even leave the orbit of earth sized planets. Who knows, in 2040 maybe fusion or ion engines are the norm. By 2070+ the earth did have the technology and ability to build those Dyson ring ships at the end.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#47]
It's not a movie made for dullards but you don't want to over-think it to enjoy it either. I noticed that during the last 20 minutes or so of the movie folks were on the edge of their seats.

The teenaged grandkid liked so much she went with friends to see it again after I took her..
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Great Sci-fi, great love story, fantastic writing and cinematography.

No wonder GD hates it. Probably needed more boobs, guns, and 'splosions.
View Quote

About every bad movie I see anymore could be improved by adding these features.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since you can't obviously spell; a movie like this is clearly going to be over your head to understand or to comprehend in any meaningful way.  Be glad you walked out.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's a mind fuck when people can't understand this movie or others like inception. It's not difficult to follow.

Did you graduate from high school OP?
View Quote

Inception was awesome, I'm 100% sure Interstellar is just as good. Some folks just don't get it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top