Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2014 11:54:34 AM EDT
I know a guy that has said he was a Navy SEAL and was in 15yrs and got out as a O-1 being a Lieutenant but isn't a O-1 in the Navy an Ensign.  A lot of the things he has said to me about being a SEAL didn't make sense. Didn't even know what HALO meant.  I only know some things because my dream was to become one and did a ton of research on it.  This guy has gotten jobs, donations, etc.  He really played it out to get what he wanted.  I'm 99% sure he never served and I need to find out the truth.  Is there anyway for me to find out?  Someone here that can check?  Person I need to contact?  Thank you guys for your help.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Hit up Don Shipley.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hit up Don Shipley.
View Quote

Downside is I don't have his phone number anymore.  Guy in question I mean.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Do we have members on this site that could tell if he ever served in any branch?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The only man I ever knew who told me he was a SEAL told me by showing me his challenge coin.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Just tell him you think he's full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hit up Don Shipley.
View Quote

PHONE: 757-572-7203

FaceSpace

LinkedIn

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He's lying.
View Quote

That is where my money would be.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure if you posted the guy's info here, it would take about 5 minutes for someone to find all of his info.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeah, if he really said O1 is a lieutenant he's completely full of shit.

Don Shipley'll handle that shit proper.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If you know his first and last name, go to socnet.

If hes fake, then go to Shipley. If he's fake, keep us updated.

EDIT--Here fake seal tester. Obey their rules, they dont screw around about that introduction thread thing

http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=719267a8c138b04328d13548ca64082d&f=199
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
He's full of shit. Since he's saying that he was a SEAL, Don Shipley would be your best bet. Other than that, you can file a FOIA request to gain access to his releasable records.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did tell him that.  I know more about the training than he does.  Once I dug deeper into asking certain questions I found out he was lying and that ended our friendship.  I never served and this shit just pisses me off beyond belief.  People work hard to obtain the privilege to be in the military.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FaceSpace

LinkedIn

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hit up Don Shipley.

FaceSpace

LinkedIn

One problem though is I do not have his phone number so how would I go about it?  I might be able to ask around and find it but I'm not sure if I can.  But I will get a hold of Don Shipley when I can.  This POS needs to be set straight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm sure if you posted the guy's info here, it would take about 5 minutes for someone to find all of his info.
View Quote

Ok what information should I post?  I have his name, birthday, school and year of graduation.  Also is it ok for me to post this information?   I don't want to upset the Mods or Staff.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you know his first and last name, go to socnet.

If hes fake, then go to Shipley. If he's fake, keep us updated.

EDIT--Here fake seal tester. Obey their rules, they dont screw around about that introduction thread thing

http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=719267a8c138b04328d13548ca64082d&f=199
View Quote

I will keep you guys updated with what happens.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know a guy that has said he was a Navy SEAL and was in 15yrs and got out as a O-1 being a Lieutenant but isn't a O-1 in the Navy an Ensign.  A lot of the things he has said to me about being a SEAL didn't make sense. Didn't even know what HALO meant.  I only know some things because my dream was to become one and did a ton of research on it.  This guy has gotten jobs, donations, etc.  He really played it out to get what he wanted.  I'm 99% sure he never served and I need to find out the truth.  Is there anyway for me to find out?  Someone here that can check?  Person I need to contact?  Thank you guys for your help.
View Quote

Ask him to show you his 214.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah, what the hell.

Once you get commissioned as an O-1 ensign you usually get promoted in two years to )-2, or LT jg. To do 15 years and then get out as an O-1 means he served 13-14 years, by then he would be an E-6 or E-7 at least, go to Officer Candidate School (there is usually an age limit and he would be pushing it) and then immediately upon getting commissioned, he got out in under two years before the first, nearly mandatory promotion..  Also, getting out in 15 years means no retirement benefits at all.  Retirement starts at 20.  

Regardless as to whether he claims to be a SEAL, that timeline is implausible.  Never heard of anyone going to OCS and immediately ETSIng.  

If he claims to have been a SEAL as an enlisted man for 12 years or so and doesn't know what HALO stands for...poser.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did tell him that.  I know more about the training than he does.  Once I dug deeper into asking certain questions I found out he was lying and that ended our friendship.  I never served and this shit just pisses me off beyond belief.  People work hard to obtain the privilege to be in the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess. You're biggest regret is having never served yourself, right?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is. Is that a bad thing? I was in a bad car accident that took my chance from me.  I hope I'm not coming across as not serving and wanting to call out posers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too...So?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I ask your reasoning for asking me that question? I'm curious.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's just making sure that you know he's more awesome than you......He's not.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bingo
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

.  I never could understand why Naval ranks are so out of line with Army rankings, I know its tradition, but it is bizarre.
View Quote

Americans were brits. It's that simple.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:54:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.  I never could understand why Naval ranks are so out of line with Army rankings, I know its tradition, but it is bizarre.

And Army could buy their rank VS Navy earning theirs, so a Captaincy in the Navy took far longer than somebodies daddy buying a commission for them in the 18th/19th century British Army, which ranks our army followed suit minus the purchased commissions.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ah, what the hell.

Once you get commissioned as an O-1 ensign you usually get promoted in two years to )-2, or LT jg. To do 15 years and then get out as an O-1 means he served 13-14 years, by then he would be an E-6 or E-7 at least, go to Officer Candidate School (there is usually an age limit and he would be pushing it) and then immediately upon getting commissioned, he got out in under two years before the first, nearly mandatory promotion..  Also, getting out in 15 years means no retirement benefits at all.  Retirement starts at 20.  

Regardless as to whether he claims to be a SEAL, that timeline is implausible.  Never heard of anyone going to OCS and immediately ETSIng.  

If he claims to have been a SEAL as an enlisted man for 12 years or so and doesn't know what HALO stands for...poser.
View Quote

Active Duty Service Commitment makes this impossible.  And I know in the AF if you try to retire before a certain point after being enlisted (10 years commissioned/Capt) you revert to your enlisted grade.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The only man I ever knew who told me he was a SEAL told me by showing me his challenge coin.  
View Quote

That means all of nothing.  You can buy those things on Ebay.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, you really should hit up Shipley, Guardianofvalor.com, and/or SOCNET.  It's the right thing to do when you actually know this guy in person.

It's one thing to lie and steal valor, it takes a special kind of scum to do that for monetary gain.  It's also the difference between "freedom of speech" and breaking the Stolen Valor Act.

People who BS military service and are given gifts because of it need to be investigated and charged.  Please don't be lazy about it and just stop your search because nobody here can simply answer "yes or no" about his service.  He's the type of case that takes priority with the aforementioned investigators, because his acceptance of gifts breaks the law.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

FaceSpace

LinkedIn

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hit up Don Shipley.

FaceSpace

LinkedIn

Oh, he stayed local I see. I miss VA

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ah, what the hell.

View Quote

Don't know for sure, but I'd bet you obtain an ADSC of at least 2 years just for going to OCS. I mean, shit, I owe them another 2 years every time I use $750 toward school.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes it is. Is that a bad thing? I was in a bad car accident that took my chance from me.  I hope I'm not coming across as not serving and wanting to call out posers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally don't have regrets,  but I was seriously considering joining when I was 20.  My brother, who did serve with the 101st Airborne, was almost sent home for a medical discharge for his cholesterol.  My total cholesterol and LDL levels were almost twice what his was at the time, and was put on medication.  Hereditary cholesterol is a weird one...  I was almost underweight, and still pushing a mid 400's total level.  

Anyways,  not serving isn't the issue.  It's a choice that not everybody wants to get on board with.  
Calling out assholes that do not deserve to wear a uniform though?  Fair game.  

I still want to call out a guy at work that was USCG,  claiming to have waterboarded and shot people during his short enlistment.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I other words, yea, this guy is full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#35]
If he's saying it to bang chicks, who the fuck cares? Let the Navy boys handle it if they see it.

Does it impact your life in any way?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood guys like you.  i don't know what cancer stick's point was, but I don't get the motivation some people have for this.  If you see a fake, stomp it out immediately.  But if you miss your opportunity, why go online and make a big deal out of it, even if you yourself don't have the guy's contact info anymore? My guess is for every real .mil faker, there are 10 fake hunter guys that never served that see fakers all around them, mainly because they don't know what to look for and possibly feel guilty about that?   I realize I am in the minority as arfcom LOVES this kind of stuff, and there seems to be a certain kind of person who never served but feels he is surrounded by fakers and has this burning desire to come on here, rally support for some windmill to joust, all for what?  I guess I kind of appreciate what you are doing, but at some point I feel uncomfortable as it looks more like green envy (you are motivated to protect our valor b/c you envy us?) than anything else.  Having served, I am so aware of other tragic things in life more worthy of our vitriol, that seem to get zero attention.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Doesn't know what a HALO jump is?

He's a fake, hit up Don Shipley.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's lying.

This he is full of shit, anyone who tells me they are a SEAL when barely know them is full of shit. The only true SEALs I have met usually I have know them for awhile before they say anything, and never use it to get special perks in life
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#39]
If you never served yourself - why do you feel compelled to call out others?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the "in" thing to do here.  He's following saigamanTX's footsteps.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you would sit back and watch someone lie to gain employment and get donations to pay rent and car payments?  Sorry it seems wrong to me and if you guys are only coming in here to act like it's not my business because I didn't serve then don't bother posting.  It's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

So you would sit back and watch someone lie to gain employment and get donations to pay rent and car payments?  Sorry it seems wrong to me and if you guys are only coming in here to act like it's not my business because I didn't serve then don't bother posting.  It's as simple as that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am wondering what your self-appointed motivation is.  The motivation of former/current military I understand.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
He sounds like a liar.  He should have lied less and claimed to be a SEAL support boat crew.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I am wondering what your self-appointed motivation is.  The motivation of former/current military I understand.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well most of my family has fought in most wars/conflicts since WW2 and I have lost friends I grew up with in Iraq so people claiming to be a member of the armed services bothers me.  So sorry if you don't agree with me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO if he has received donations and jobs due to the lie he should be called out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Having a coin means jack shit.
I have a SDV Team One coin, I was neither a SEAL or support for a team. (The coin was given to me after I fixed a couple of KLR 650s for them)

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find all this BS about Stolen valor hilarious.

I was once a  delta seal chief petty warrant officer on a delta class destroyer submarine while in the army.
Who cares.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top