Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I applaud you OP for doing this.  I think it is very important that people belong to the NRA and if you do not want the junk mail and calls you can opt out, it is very easy.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I applaud you OP for doing this.  I think it is very important that people belong to the NRA and if you do not want the junk mail and calls you can opt out, it is very easy.

View Quote

I agree.  Nice to see this OP, God bless!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Please give mine to an active . mil or someone in nursing.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm horrible at trying to convince people I'm a fairly new gun owner since I lived in Japan for 10+yrs (parents were military so I went to high school and college over there). Shortly after I moved to Virginia a few years ago it was quite a big adjustment, there's a ton of violent crime that goes on here compared to Japan and I didn't necessarily feel as safe so I bought a handgun and became attached to the gun culture. Shortly after joining the site I bought my first AR15 and I've been loving it. Ever since buying my first gun I've always tried to convert non gun owners to gun owners and have been pretty successful and even teaching them how to shoot has been fun. Not trying to make this a sob story since there's a ton of people that have it worse than me,  but my moneys been pretty tight since I've gotten married and I've chosen to pay ridiculously high rent to live in a "safe" area.  But I would love to be an NRA member and would greatly appreciate it if you selected me. If there are better deserving members that post here please choose them over me. I'm hoping I can get some extra money for Christmas so I can become a member of the site and the NRA.  Thanks for the opportunity, there are a lot of people on this site with big hearts and it feels good to be apart of this community.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks OP, so many gun owners, so few NRA members, let's save our freedoms for the next generations!  Well Done sir!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, if you end up with more than 10 requests, I'll pitch in for a few more.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow. thank you, those words mean a lot me.  I was not going to post this but what the hell, most people I know in real life dont know what happened to me and I have not talked to any of my old colleagues or fellow students and residents due to shame and embarrassment. I lost my career after 10 years of school and education and years prior working at the patient bed side as an respiratory therapists.  Im an MD, graduated medical school and I can't practice or continue with residency, I never made an error and this was not because of a patient care mistake or anything like that.  

My mom got cancer and had no one to help her. so I took a leave of absence to help her through chemo and radiation therapy, my family and I left Arlington Virginia and came home to Arizona to circle the wagons, so to speak.  She had two major thoracic surguries during this time and  I drove her to her chemo, radiation treatment, imaging lab draws and everything else.  She passed after 2 years of fighting the good fight.  My actions and my wifes gave her that extra time to know that granddaughter of hers in that picture I posted.  More importantly my daugter will never forget her grandma.  When she died I went into a full depression and I lost my faith for a while, I had no history of this and I admit I could have dealt with it better.

My wife never lost her faith in me and helped me recover but I missed my window to take my USMLE step 3 and lost my residency. Things have been tight and difficult and a real shock to the system.  Im no spring chicken as I went back to school as a returning adult student at 30 years old.  I am 45 now and I have been wandering for about a year now unsure how to proceed in life other than being the most hands on father in all history, all the while living off the wifes income.  This has been hard because I have never taken help from any one and clawed and fought for everything I have achived.  I am still doing small things in medicine, but well nothing like I trained for.  I am lucky man In many many ways and I wont forget that.

In a way it has been a blessing if you look at the bright side, in other ways it has been devistating to my family.  So your kind words mean a lot, so thank you for that.  I dont have many friends here in arizona so my short time (14er) arfcom has been like bro time for me.  Yes pathetic but, somewhat therapeutic, heck I might even get flamed for this post.  Yup thats ok I got my boots on and getting things going again so the acute crisis has been over for a while.

Thank you for the youth membership, really, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, she will love it.  Your a good man. How arfcom make grown men get dust in our eyes so much I just dont know.  Thanks you for giving back and thanks for the community here.  Thanks for letting me get this out too...I hope I dont sound too much like a loser, im not, I played the cards handed me as best I could.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are so in.

Your daughter is doing everything right, as are you. This has nothing to do with the ten memberships, she's good to go.
Your daughter is learning a beautiful right and hobby from a good man. PM me. Yours is beyond the question.

Wow. thank you, those words mean a lot me.  I was not going to post this but what the hell, most people I know in real life dont know what happened to me and I have not talked to any of my old colleagues or fellow students and residents due to shame and embarrassment. I lost my career after 10 years of school and education and years prior working at the patient bed side as an respiratory therapists.  Im an MD, graduated medical school and I can't practice or continue with residency, I never made an error and this was not because of a patient care mistake or anything like that.  

My mom got cancer and had no one to help her. so I took a leave of absence to help her through chemo and radiation therapy, my family and I left Arlington Virginia and came home to Arizona to circle the wagons, so to speak.  She had two major thoracic surguries during this time and  I drove her to her chemo, radiation treatment, imaging lab draws and everything else.  She passed after 2 years of fighting the good fight.  My actions and my wifes gave her that extra time to know that granddaughter of hers in that picture I posted.  More importantly my daugter will never forget her grandma.  When she died I went into a full depression and I lost my faith for a while, I had no history of this and I admit I could have dealt with it better.

My wife never lost her faith in me and helped me recover but I missed my window to take my USMLE step 3 and lost my residency. Things have been tight and difficult and a real shock to the system.  Im no spring chicken as I went back to school as a returning adult student at 30 years old.  I am 45 now and I have been wandering for about a year now unsure how to proceed in life other than being the most hands on father in all history, all the while living off the wifes income.  This has been hard because I have never taken help from any one and clawed and fought for everything I have achived.  I am still doing small things in medicine, but well nothing like I trained for.  I am lucky man In many many ways and I wont forget that.

In a way it has been a blessing if you look at the bright side, in other ways it has been devistating to my family.  So your kind words mean a lot, so thank you for that.  I dont have many friends here in arizona so my short time (14er) arfcom has been like bro time for me.  Yes pathetic but, somewhat therapeutic, heck I might even get flamed for this post.  Yup thats ok I got my boots on and getting things going again so the acute crisis has been over for a while.

Thank you for the youth membership, really, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, she will love it.  Your a good man. How arfcom make grown men get dust in our eyes so much I just dont know.  Thanks you for giving back and thanks for the community here.  Thanks for letting me get this out too...I hope I dont sound too much like a loser, im not, I played the cards handed me as best I could.

Win lose or draw, you and the OP are what make America great.

I am impressed with the both of you and that's not easy for a cynical, crusty, old cop with no manners and a bad attitude.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
You sir are a good man
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
you should give me a membership...
why?
its pretty simple. I am not an NRA member. I just never got around to it honestly because they don't enter into my mind

Let me explain. I am an elected official, in New Jersey
I raised a doer, not a talker.
You may not be aware of the laws, hoops and general crap it takes to become a legal NJ gun owner. We have a Firearms Purchasers ID system, pistol permitting system and one gun a month restrictions. In addition, obtaining an FPID or permit to purchase can take MONTHS...sometimes YEARS even though the law clearly states it must be done in 30 days.
I was prompted to run for office by a tax assayer who told me that "if you don't like my judgments, run for office and get rid of me"
I did. he is gone...
when I applied for my FPID, I was hit with illegal additional forms, encompassing illegal background, medical and financial questions.
so I researched it while I was running for office.
turns out the chief of police had added these illegally to the states already onerous requirements. So, I had a talk with the chief...
long story short...he isn't chief no more.
He retired.
Forms and extra requirements are gone now.
The process now takes less than 30 days and I monitor it to make sure that is kept that way.
I personally paid for spaces for our local 2AS to come to our local town celebration day, got our local NRA club to make it an annual place to have a booth (which is pretty cool since I am a member of the club and they do well )
Further I have taken at least 10  anti gun people to local ranges with my own guns to introduce them to firearms. My conversion rate is 100%. I have gotten 2 other council members, the recreation board members and a few of the  neighbors to get FPID cards and have been references (NJ requires 2 references on any form to contact) for at least 25 more.

I have done all of this as an independent outside of being a member of the NRA mainly because I have felt that they abandoned me and my state.

oh and I also had to endure DEATH treats because of the nut job that ran at the same time as me.
NUTJOB  Councilman
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I would love an NRA membership it's just not something I can justify when I have so many bills.

If you wanna give a hard working guy with very little discretionary spending an NRA membership I'm your man!

Either way it's a very commendable thing you are doing. It's good to see we have so many generous people here.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Still humbled how op offered them to me after my fire. I am already a member. OP if you're still saving some for me please give them To any fire/ems/LE or any first responder/military.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Extra space here due brain fart.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
why?
its pretty simple. I am not an NRA member. I just never got around to it honestly because they don't enter into my mind

You may not be aware of the laws, hoops and general crap it takes to become a legal NJ gun owner. We have a Firearms Purchasers ID system, pistol permitting system and one gun a month restrictions. In addition, obtaining an FPID or permit to purchase can take MONTHS...sometimes YEARS even though the law clearly states it must be done in 30 days.
I was prompted to run for office by a tax assayer who told me that "if you don't like my judgments, run for office and get rid of me"
I did. he is gone...
when I applied for my FPID, I was hit with illegal additional forms, encompassing illegal background, medical and financial questions.
turns out the chief of police had added these illegally to the states already onerous requirements. So, I had a talk with the chief...
He retired.
The process now takes less than 30 days and I monitor it to make sure that is kept that way.
I personally paid for spaces for our local 2AS to come to our local town celebration day, got our local NRA club to make it an annual place to have a booth (which is pretty cool since I am a member of the club and they do well )
Further I have taken at least 10  anti gun people to local ranges with my own guns to introduce them to firearms. My conversion rate is 100%. I have gotten 2 other council members, the recreation board members and a few of the  neighbors to get FPID cards and have been references (NJ requires 2 references on any form to contact) for at least 25 more.

I have done all of this as an independent outside of being a member of the NRA mainly because I have felt that they abandoned me and my state.

oh and I also had to endure DEATH treats because of the nut job that ran at the same time as me.
NUTJOB  Councilman
View Quote

Nice story, bubba.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be grateful for a membership.  I have 2 kids and my wife is a stay at home mom.  I just had hernia surgery Oct. 21, and got my knee scoped Nov. 10.  The hernia had to be taken care of as it started getting worse by the day.  My knee has been needing to be fixed for a few years now.  I had to get some bone fragments out, trim up the torn meniscus, shave down the back of the knee cap and top of tibia, and take out a calcified piece of something.   Since I was paying the deductible for the hernia I had to get my knee done before the end of the year to save another deductible.  I have a $2k deductible and also have to pay 30% after that.  I am not sure how much exactly it will cost yet but it wont be cheap.  I was out of work for 1.5 weeks for the hernia and 1.5 weeks for the knee.  They let me come back to work on light duyt.  I am paid hourly and do not get paid for the days I missed.  

I have scars and papers from the hospital if you need proof I am not making it up.  

Also I was in the Coast Guard Reserve from 99-07.  I got recalled 3 separate times.  I spent about 2.5 years total on active duty.  Wish I would have joined full time when I started. I would be getting close to 20 years.  Too late. That is life I guess.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I would love one for myself, just not in the deck at the moment.

The wife, comes first though. Her birthday and christmas present this year is a rifle. One assembled by her loving husband. She knows what is coming and pretty giddy about it. Heck, I am enjoying putting it all together. Even going the his-n-hers route with sequential ser #s, she gets the low #. Gonna add a five year plan to it also

In a former life, I was an AF pointyhead. Lived in a world where one screwed their way around the world instead of suck-n-blowing. Then worked on on something, so ugly, the only reason it got off the ground was the earth repelled it. Long live the turbo-prop and turbo-shaft! Now I play with life sized train sets.

314th TAW (AMS,CRS), 934th TAW (AMS), 920th Rescue, 352nd SOW (31st SOS), 1st SOW (8th SOS), RASS (Raytheon Aircraft Support Services), UPRR

May the most deserving, receive this gift you offer and may they find a way to pay it forward down the road.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would love one, but im sure there are FAR MANY people who deserve one given to them for free.

Kudos to you sir.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Win lose or draw, you and the OP are what make America great.

I am impressed with the both of you and that's not easy for a cynical, crusty, old cop with no manners and a bad attitude.
View Quote

Thanks Recusance, I appreciate that.  The OP is defiantly a good man and a great American.  Stay safe fellow patriot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

bump from another NRA Lifer.

Gotta get my eagle one of these days.

View Quote

Yes, you do.

Don't you think you've got an IM to send? It's not like it's hard. IM your membership number to MM. *nudge* *push* *poke with stick*
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Give me one?

I've kinda had a rough year on top of that too . Dag isn't doing well, grandparents died, and I'm still on fucking medical hold for the Army since I re-injured my knee at work that I injured in April. And I'm a poor college kid.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome Job OP, thank you for doing what you are doing.

I was raised super liberal.  I thought guns were the devil, and god help me if I ever wanted to own one.  Now that I've been out on my own, I've changed my views, changed my life, changed my feelings.  I'm not a member because of one thing: money.

Got married to a wonderful woman 2 years ago.  A hear and a half ago, we bought a house.  Neither of us ever expected this great of a house, but we got it.  13 acres of land, with private trail access to the state atv trails.  I also grew up in the woods, while the wife grew up in the suburbs, so for her to be willing to move all the way out here for me really made me smile.  What they didn't tell us was that they assessed the taxes when the house was 70% complete.  We went in thinking "sure, things will be tight for a bit, but we'll make it work."  When the new tax assessment came in, we almost lost the house.  Wife had to take a second job just we could keep it and I could keep putting the time into it and the property that you have to (shes there right now, working a saturday night shift).  You'll notice I'm not a member here at AR15.com.  Same reason, money has to go to our lives.  And our future, hope to have a little one next year.

I'm not asking for a membership, to either the NRA, or AR15.com.  I guess I just wanted to share my story.  Hey, you asked why I'm not a member.  Here it is.  Enjoy everyone who gets memberships, and thank you again OP for giving them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Way to go!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#24]
If there's anymore left I'll take one. Either way cool thing to do op.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The last two years were a bit rough...

...Those of you who don't have Ferrari Italias and supermodel wives may be able to sympathize. I had to sell mine.

View Quote

Few questions:
How do you sell a wife?
What's the going rate?  
Who are potential buyers?

Good on ya, OP.  I'm already a member.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome brother. Keep it up! I vote that we find some veterans or the like to donate to.

I used to have one when I was 18 but other things took priority. Like feeding my family.

Again, thanks for doing it. You're the man!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#28]
2xtap
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Very generous of you.  Please give mine to someone more needy or deserving.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]
What an awesome gesture. I'd really enjoy getting my first NRA membership from you. I don't have a sob story or kids or anything like that. I'm just a young guy that was stupid and racked up all my credit cards on guns, ammo, and bar tabs. I've finally gotten my debt under control and am working enough OT to get everything squared away by early next year, but there are a few clubs I'd like to belong to that I just can't really budget for. Namely the NRA and ARFCOM. I've been lurking this site since the "Street Robberies and You" thread was posted. That was the first thread I read here and I've been back ever since. Only recently did I realize I should make an account so I didn't get classed as a 15er when I inevitably decided to join the discussions. I think the first time I tried to join quite a while ago I had to wait for some sort of approval and all kinds of other malarky so I said screw it, but now that I'm here I browse daily.

I also blame GD for some of my debt because I saw that thread about the ZQI manufacturer clearance while it was only a few posts deep so I went and cleaned out 4 walmarts.

Had to come home and shave my neck.

Thanks for your consideration.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
why?

I did. he is gone...
He retired.

NUTJOB  Councilman
View Quote

Ah, the joys of Sussex County.

There was pheasant hunting at Flatbrook-Roy. There were fights and drunk karaoke at McKee's or whatever it was on 517. There was more drunkenness and both of the hot girls in Vernon when Kilby-Taylor played at Hidden Valley. And there was the time the State of New Jersey confiscated the Sussex Township police department because they were selling drugs.

Wonderful place.

BTW, you should see the crap that Hackensack pulled when people applied for an FPIC. I sold a few safes to Hackensack residents because that asshole Ken Zisa made them buy a safe and produce a receipt for it after they got seven pistol permits. If not, no permit.

I wonder if he's out of prison yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Few questions:
How do you sell a wife?
What's the going rate?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last two years were a bit rough...

...Those of you who don't have Ferrari Italias and supermodel wives may be able to sympathize. I had to sell mine.

Few questions:
How do you sell a wife?
What's the going rate?  

Craigslist. Look under Supermodel Wives Buy, Sell, Trade. Buyers seem to be mostly Russian these days. Arabs want to rent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:15:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Good job OP .
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:37:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Did I win?
Or do I need to pony up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#35]

very nice OP
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I sent you a pm Op. I think what you are doing says a lot about the good people on this forum. I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving. I just had a major surgery so no solid food for two weeks. But I did figure out how to beer bong a feeding tube lol. best wishes to all Dan
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You're a good guy, op.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Very good thing OP. Thanks.

Yes, opt out of the mailing program. I receive MANY more pieces of mail from Cabelas than from the NRA.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;'][div style='margin-left: 40px;']  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;'][div style='margin-left: 40px;']  

I was one of the lucky individuals to get one about two years ago. I deferred it to my father, who had been a lapsed member at the time. He passed away last year, but his copies of American Rifleman were one of the things I read to him every day after his stroke.

You're a good man, OP.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I let my membership lapse after the shooting at my home. People kept telling me to contact them to have the story put in their magazines, buuuut... I wasn't allowed to speak that soon after. My girlfriend is a life member, I just haven't kept up on mine because we had to cut corners due to all the moving costs.

With that said, since I get all the reading material and stuff through her I'm not really in need. But I just wanted to say thanks for what you're doing and those who end up with them should be very appreciative!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Thank you OP for doing this. I'm not an NRA member, I'm a younger gun advocate just getting into building guns and my collection. What you are doing is beautiful and gives all of us hope for society.

Cheers,
Matthewcas
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Already a member.  Good on you for doing this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I just think you are an awesome person for doing this!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Move my wife and 2 kids back to Texas from Nashville to, more or less, try and save my 15 year marriage. As soon as we arrive, I find out the job i had landed in a previous scouting trip disappeared. Promptly find another job, and 3 months later, have to have an intestinal resectioning surgery, open surgery. After I get sent home from that, I am rushed back to the hospital because they sewed a couple of infections in me, so I'm opened back up and must heal the wound from the inside out. Fast forward a few months, and I break 3 ribs falling through an open catwalk at work. That same exact day, the wife abandons the kids and I to go have an open affair with the neighbors 18 year old meth head kid. And now I'm writing all this while sitting in the hospital because I have pneumonia. Oh, and my ribs are broken again from coughing and vomiting so hard.

I really could use a break from all the lumps I'm taking.
View Quote

I posted this last night, dunno if it's worthy or not.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Sir,

Thank you for doing this.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd love a free ARFCON membership... oh wait wrong thread...  Kidding aside, I hope the guy who posted his daughter wins one. He'd get my vote.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have never had one, don't want one. I couldn't take the spam mail.

But kudos to you, sir.

View Quote

I'm a Life Member and I have NEVER received ANY spam.

Thanks for doing this OP.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top