Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/21/2014 10:19:27 PM EDT
It has been assumed by many that if you are libertarian you must be pro-choice, as libertarians would be against government involvement in abortion. This is in fact, incorrect. Libertarians are split on the issue of abortion, just as the country is, and perhaps the best known libertarian, Ron Paul, has been a strong pro-life advocate for his entire career. Pro-life libertarians recognize the fetus as a life, will the same protections anyone else would have. Any unwarranted force used against the fetus would constitute a crime.

Some pro-choice libertarians are still critical of abortion, Adrian Wyllie, the 2014 Libertarian Party of Florida gubernatorial candidate stated, "Though I am personally pro-life, I strongly believe that the government must weigh the rights of the two individuals involved. My position on abortion is that up until the point of viability outside the womb, it is the woman’s choice. Beyond the point of viability, the government has a duty to protect the life of the child." Gary Johnson believes (correctly) that the federal government shouldn't be involved in the matter, as they have no constitutional power to decide either way on abortion.

Perhaps the most outspoken and emotional critic of abortion though, is Jude Andrew Napolitano. Watch Napolitano's moving speech about abortion and liberty, "What will history say of our society, if we cannot protect the weakest among us, and destroy them out of convenience? Who will the government let us destroy next?"

The Examiner wrote an interesting article about this, here: http://www.examiner.com/article/if-you-are-pro-life-you-can-be-a-libertarian
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I was raised Catholic, went to parochial grade school and high school.  I was trained to feel abortion was bad and in my gut I believe it is.  That said, if some shit head future failure of a mother decides to differ with my opinion that is her choice.  She can settle up with her maker.  Meanwhile, there is one less dreg on the community, one less JD, one less convict, one less baby maker on the streets.  It took me a long time to get that cold about it, but that's where I am.  I lean Libertarian in my thinking but am not very active in politics - it's all crooks and BS IMO.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
10pgs by Monday
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Every time I set foot in a Walmart, I wish lots more women would have abortions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was raised Catholic, went to parochial grade school and high school.  I was trained to feel abortion was bad and in my gut I believe it is.  That said, if some shit head future failure of a mother decides to differ with my opinion that is her choice.  She can settle up with her maker.  Meanwhile, there is one less dreg on the community, one less JD, one less convict, one less baby maker on the streets.  It took me a long time to get that cold about it, but that's where I am.  I lean Libertarian in my thinking but am not very active in politics - it's all crooks and BS IMO.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a pro life libertarian.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you view that baby as a human being, as I do, then allowing someone to kill it on a whim is the antithesis of libertarianism.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you view that baby as a human being, as I do, then allowing someone to kill it on a whim is the antithesis of libertarianism.  
View Quote

Exactly.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pro choice-ish
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
How about if I just want to mind my own buisness? Can I be a libertarian???  

Edit: Post 1000!!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you view that baby as a human being, like I do, then allowing someone to kill it on a whim is the antithesis of libertarianism.
View Quote

Who is allowing anyone to do anything?  If a shithead shoots up a school, did anyone allow that?  Everyone can settle the score with their maker.  I hope you are taking in all the foster kids that are being generated by your frame of mind.  Seriously, you can have your sterile view, but what do you do to back it up?  The world is a shitty place - as is nature.  I understand your point about "allowing" meaning influencing legislation.  IMO there is simply a segment of the population that should not reproduce.  That segment cannot support their offspring and the results are a disaster.  Put Norplant in the teens arms?  We have an endless flood of dregs on society from within.  That, combined with the recent immigration crime puts our collective comfortable lives at risk long term.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Even libertarians think there should be laws against murder.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who is allowing anyone to do anything?  If a shithead shoots up a school, did anyone allow that?  Everyone can settle the score with their maker.  I hope you are taking in all the foster kids that are being generated by your frame of mind.  Seriously, you can have your sterile view, but what do you do to back it up?  The world is a shitty place - as is nature.  I understand your point about "allowing" meaning influencing legislation.  IMO there is simply a segment of the population that should not reproduce.  That segment cannot support their offspring and the results are a disaster.  Put Norplant in the teens arms?  We have an endless flood of dregs on society from within.  That, combined with the recent immigration crime puts our collective comfortable lives at risk long term.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you view that baby as a human being, like I do, then allowing someone to kill it on a whim is the antithesis of libertarianism.

Must be hard to shoulder life being fully enlightened to the hopeless human condition.  You should watch the movie "The Grey", I think you'd like it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Http://l4l.org

Yes. I know...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know me.

It just so happens I'm currently housing a child who has no home.

And even if I wasn't, I wouldn't condone killing her for the convenience of her parents.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
the only thing more reprehensible than abortion is a nanny state government
i think abortion is the worst form of murder , the state can not prevent any murder

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How about if I just want to mind my own buisness? Can I be a libertarian???  

Edit: Post 1000!!!!
View Quote

Why Not?

Dont ask dont tell.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm pro-life. However, I personally don't know what to do with the lib "rape/incest" crutch argument that constitutes the <1% of all abortions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#19]
i like to pick up chicks at the abortion clinic 'cause i know they put out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where does death with dignity fall into that?  I'm going out on a limb here (and I'm not all that passionate about this topic - sort of devil's advocate), but if a shithead mother / shithead couple allowing their future shithead child die with dignity?  Sort of parental suicide on behalf of the offspring?

Final point - there is a segment of the population that is making a lot of babies that aren't being taken care of.  How many have you adopted?  Me - no way, I'll be honest about it - not going to happen.  So, everyone wants to stop abortion but what do you do with all these new babies?  It's very cruel...  I don't know how to reconcile with that except to say it is their decision and they can take it up with their maker when that time comes.  There is a big disconnect.  Is a mistreated child better than an aborted baby? - that was pretty hard to type, but it is the issue at hand IMO.

I don't think you or I can change this unless we step in and raise the "stray" children that are being brought into the world.

This is a very difficult issue.  The more I've been exposed to it the "colder" I've become.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm a pro life libertarian.
View Quote

Me too.  No conflict there whatsoever.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

oh you are so fucking cool and edgy
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#25]
If only there was a definitive legal definition of personhood.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What you do with your body is none of my business.

Freedom is a motherfucker.
View Quote
Here's the deal.

Pro lifers believe that the fetus is a human being.

So if what "you do with your body" involves killing another human.... that's wrong.

And the thing is, that fetus didn't magically appear out of nowhere to infringe on the mom's "freedom". No, mom was actively complicit in creating the situation. This is a life she helped start, and once created, it has just as much rights as her.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If only there was a definitive legal definition of personhood.
View Quote

Should the government be deciding who is a person, worthy of natural rights, and who is not?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
most people who get abortions likely vote Democrat.  Just sayin'.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#29]
A basic tenent of libertarianism is the right to life. I really do struggle with this whole issue, but there is no way in fucking hell I could agree with libtards definition of life;
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Abortion is totally unnecessary anyway because there are proven techniques to prevent pregnancy. If a woman becomes pregnant, it is 100% her responsibility to carry it to term because it is so easy to prevent.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
most people who get abortions likely vote Democrat.  Just sayin'.  
View Quote

Thus the struggle. When arguing abortion with democrats I make sure they know that it makes it easier for me to accept knowing the wholesale slaughter of the unborn is mostly killing future democrats.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not what they're doing with their body that should be of concern.

It's what they're doing to the baby's body that stomps on the idea of personal liberty.

They are as responsible for the life of that baby when it's in their belly as they are after it's born.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't get me wrong I would never encourage abortion.  The reality is there is a segment of the population that is out of control.  It's like the 90/10 rule in business.  10% of your customers cause 90% of your problems.  It's the same with the 10% or whatever the percentage is.  Most of us are disconnected from this troubled community.  If real change is going to occur, there needs to be an intervention into this community.  I believe these kids would be better raised in orphanages - I get a lot of push back on that.  Maybe if everyone who was able adopted these kids we could change things in a generation or two.  In the meantime, in all the confusion that is going on, and the fact that I am selfishly unwilling to adopt with my 4 kids and 6 grand-kids, I will let shitheads be shitheads and allow them to make their own destiny.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#35]
If life doesn't begin at conception, the when does it begin?

Please be very precise, because a lot rides on this.

Three months? So one day earlier is perfectly cool, but one day later isn't? Do you REALLY buy that?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Here's the real deal... What other people chose to do with their lives or the lives inside of them is none of your business or my business. Worry about yourself, not others.

Is that so hard to comprehend?

Don't push your views or beliefs on other people. I don't care what they are, and they don't care what they are.

I'll say it again... Freedom is a motherfucker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the deal.  

So if what "you do with your body" involves killing another human.... that's wrong.

And the thing is, that fetus didn't magically appear out of nowhere to infringe on the mom's "freedom". No, mom was actively complicit in creating the situation. This is a life she helped start, and once created, it has just as much rights as her.

Here's the real deal... What other people chose to do with their lives or the lives inside of them is none of your business or my business. Worry about yourself, not others.

Don't push your views or beliefs on other people. I don't care what they are, and they don't care what they are.

Godwins law might be relevant here.

And you are most definitely pushing your views on other people when you decide to kill them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm pro-life. However, I personally don't know what to do with the lib "rape/incest" crutch argument that constitutes the <1% of all abortions.
View Quote

Is a child bore from rape or incest any less of a person than you or I?  Two wrongs don't make a right.  It's terrible that a victim of rape becomes pregnant but does she need to make a second victim by having an abortion.  She can always give the child of for adoption or love the child like her own, a truly noble act.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

We forbid murder. Is that "pushing our beliefs on other people"?

It's easy to paint you into a corner.

Can a woman kill her baby as soon as it's born?

Can she kill it as the head pops out?

Can she kill it the day before it's born?

Libertarianism protects individual liberty. If a woman chooses to create a new life, it is not her right to then kill that person. Why would the baby have any less right to liberty and freedom than any other person?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the deal.  

So lets say the baby is born at home. Is it really any of our business if mom chooses to suffocate it in her apartment? Do we have a right to care "what other people chose to do with their lives or the lives inside [their home]"? Yeah. Mom should be "free".

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Three months? So one day earlier is perfectly cool, but one day later isn't? Do you REALLY buy that?

View Quote

Nothing is perfect, but we decide death on brain waves. Why not decide life on the same?

It's consistent. It's measurable.

I agree that we can't put a doctor to death because he dumps a dish of zygotes. There has to be a reasonable line. Brain waves make sense.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Where does death with dignity fall into that?  I'm going out on a limb here (and I'm not all that passionate about this topic - sort of devil's advocate), but if a shithead mother / shithead couple allowing their future shithead child die with dignity?  Sort of parental suicide on behalf of the offspring?

Final point - there is a segment of the population that is making a lot of babies that aren't being taken care of.  How many have you adopted?  Me - no way, I'll be honest about it - not going to happen.  So, everyone wants to stop abortion but what do you do with all these new babies?  It's very cruel...  I don't know how to reconcile with that except to say it is their decision and they can take it up with their maker when that time comes.  There is a big disconnect.  Is a mistreated child better than an aborted baby? - that was pretty hard to type, but it is the issue at hand IMO.

I don't think you or I can change this unless we step in and raise the "stray" children that are being brought into the world.

This is a very difficult issue.  The more I've been exposed to it the "colder" I've become.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make an interesting question. Should a parent be allowed to euthanize(is that the word) a terminally ill and suffering child?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

But, if an abortion can save just one life....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You make an interesting question. Should a parent be allowed to euthanize(is that the word) a terminally ill and suffering child?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the child want to die?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm pro choice-ish
View Quote

Looking around Shitcago, and dealing with FIBs for over 40 years...I can see your conflict as a valid and rational moral quandary.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Personal beliefs and what should be governed are two different things.

Utilization of rights may or may not result in pleasant reactions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean really you are a punk ass bitch my account be dammed
you think you are so funny with comments like that
guess what you are not
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I buy your points 100%.  That said, if the parent is not going to raise the child properly that is a fundamental injustice.  If that parent chooses to cut the abuse short through abortion, then that too is another fundamental injustice - much more violent or maybe not depending upon the child's experience growing up.  Unless someone is willing to step in and save these babies, nothing is gained by saving a baby that is nothing more than a statistic on the Right to Life books.  I donate to a lawyer who is fighting Planned Parenthood in a local suit - I get it, but the stats mean nothing when these kids are diverted away from abortion and then are set out in the community as the human equivalent of stray cats.

We haven't even probed the issue that teenage girls have babies as trophies and eventually welfare tokens!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Stick with what is legal now.

MYOB.

Live your life and worry about yourself.

Simple, to the point, and everyone moves on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Libertarianism protects individual liberty. If a woman chooses to create a new life, it is not her right to then kill that person. Why would the baby have any less right to liberty and freedom than any other person?

MYOB.

An absolutely HORRIBLE measure of right and wrong.

Slavery was legal. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

MYOB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MYOB.

Or you could fight for the rights of people who have none.

Which side of morality do you want to be on?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top