Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has been much warmer at points in history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is how I have stopped every one of the global warming moonbats . What is the correct temperature of the earth ?  That one simple question solves the problem . If you don't know the answer then how do you know if the earth is warming or cooling ?  It has not failed me yet .

This is just a guess, but if the global temperature is higher now than it used to be, it's warming?

It has been much warmer at points in history.

And if it follows well establish climate cycles, it should climb a bit more, then start declining.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
She doesn't believe the news reports & pictures of the 7' of snow they just got in Buffalo?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you, this is the kind of info I was looking for
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out Dr. Richard Lindzen's work.  He is a MIT climatologist who calls the whole thing a hoax.  He rebuffed the last UN report about heat hiding in the ocean or something.  I don't really know all the details, but a search of him may prove valuable.  He has authored for the IPCC and served on the NAS for climate change.

Richard Lindzen is an extreme outlier in the scientific community, feeding upon an audience that wants to hear a certain message. If your friend Googles him, she will not be impressed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
She doesn't believe the news reports & pictures of the 7' of snow they just got in Buffalo?
View Quote

That is just "ONE EVENT" not really a data point.  If you could show data over an extended time frame they have been getting more snow that would be thrown into the ring.  She could counter about Katrina and all the 'Canes in 04 and 05
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Show her this animation of what happened after 87000 years ago when dinosaurs started driving SUVs

http://www.nps.gov/features/romo/feat0001/BasicsIceAges.swf
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The lack of glaicers in the great lakes region proves that global warming happens. Moog and Grog probably aren't responsible for it happening any more than modern man would be.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Richard Lindzen is an extreme outlier in the scientific community, feeding upon an audience that wants to hear a certain message. If your friend Googles him, she will not be impressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out Dr. Richard Lindzen's work.  He is a MIT climatologist who calls the whole thing a hoax.  He rebuffed the last UN report about heat hiding in the ocean or something.  I don't really know all the details, but a search of him may prove valuable.  He has authored for the IPCC and served on the NAS for climate change.

Noted.  Thank you
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Best site eva...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Best site eva...

http://wattsupwiththat.com

View Quote

Agreed.  Good stuff there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
A piled higher and deeper, eh?

In what? Theology? Basket Weaving? Gender Studies?

PhD means fuck all many times these days.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell her that science says that there's nothing wrong with GMO foods.  Done.  

View Quote

LOL.

That will send them into a tail spin.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Just tell the PhD that you don't need those fancy numbers and science to know you are right.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe she knows the difference between one data point snd a conclusion based on millions of data points?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your friend is apparently an educated woman. She is unlikely to accept a blogger as a credible source when there are scores of articles from reviewed scientific journals on the other side of the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This LINK is a good start.

Yes it is, Thank you

Your friend is apparently an educated woman. She is unlikely to accept a blogger as a credible source when there are scores of articles from reviewed scientific journals on the other side of the issue.

Aside from that, the "My expert vs. your expert" game probably wouldn't be a good strategy for this particular issue.  I haven't looked, but I suspect there is more peer-reviewed scientific data arguing against OP's POV than for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a place to start:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/

It will lead you to the original sources you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In this type of debate, it is VERY important to distinguish whether or not you are arguing about the existence of Global Warming, or the existence of Anthropogenic Global Warming.

It is very possible that global temperatures have been increasing slightly over the past half century, and as such, "Global Warming" may be a very real thing.  I think it probably is (despite the last decade's data), and honestly, it would be odd and unusual if global climate were magically stable.  So Global Warming probably IS real.

It is the question of whether or not man-made activity has anything to do with such changes (i.e.Anthropogenic Global Warming) that is the crucial question, IMO.  To me, there is simply no way that we have enough data, or understanding of the process (and causality) involved, to be able to conclude that human activity is accounting for changes in global climate.  So Anthropogenic Global Warming MIGHT be real, but there simply is no way to know at this point in time.

View Quote

Honestly that phrase helped.  It narrowed the whole conversation down.  I gave her a link or 2 to some stuff about peer reviews or lack of on the a lot of the data "FOR" Global warming  She was surprised on how misleading they were.  So kinda a win, and 12 feet closer to my front door from my truck
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
It's like arguing with ISIS.

You're not going to changes their minds.

It's their religion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
With a Doctor(a PhD, not one that is really a Dr and allowed to practice Medicine)  and need some help with facts.  Sorry she's not gonna accept some blog site as actual data.  So that rules out most google searches.  A few years ago bunk reports were submitted to Congress.  Im trying to find stuff on that or similar.

So with that said, Can ARFCOM help me out and get me info to win the debate.  She's not really a believer in Global Warming but isnt convinced it's a scam either.  Also whoever wins gets to park in the driveway and not on the side parking space.  So save me 12 feet of walking and help me win this debate
View Quote

A PhD in what? PhD in art? music? history? You are going to try and win a debate on a subject you are not an expert at? Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
She's got NASA, NOAA, the Goddard Institute, the National Academy of Sciences, the East Anglia Climactic Research Unit, and pretty much every peer-reviewed study on her side.

You've got a couple bloggers and Arfcom.

I'm gonna recommend aggressive, loud ignorance as a debating strategy. Sometimes it works, and it's the best shot you've got.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
She's got NASA, NOAA, the Goddard Institute, the National Academy of Sciences, the East Anglia Climactic Research Unit, and pretty much every peer-reviewed study on her side.

I'm gonna recommend aggressive, loud ignorance as a debating strategy. Sometimes it works, and it's the best shot you've got.
View Quote

If she trusts the word of the state, you have already lost.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]
The fact is, at this point it doesn't matter anymore; it doesn't matter if "global warming" or "climate change" or whatever they're calling it today is real or not.

The Left has co-opted the debate. This is the new battlefield. This is the cover for their next big push. The climate no longer matters, if it ever did in the first place.

There will never be honest debate on the subject ever again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's like arguing with ISIS.
You're not going to changes their minds.
It's their religion.
View Quote

With the climate change debate, doesn't that sorta work both ways?

I know plenty of people who very strongly believe climate change is a hoax.  If you ask why they think so, their answers often amount to nothing more than "People who share my political beliefs think it's a hoax, therefore I also think it's a hoax."  In other words, they don't actually know why they think it's a hoax.  Their "tribe" thinks it's a hoax, and daggonit, that's good enough!

People on both sides of the debate do this.  A lot!  IMO you'd have to be engaging in a good bit of perception bias to not see this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a different, better strategy.  

Just email Internet links to people!  We all know that emailing links to people is the same thing as understanding and debating the scientific nuances of any subject.  Right?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The fact is, at this point it doesn't matter anymore; it doesn't matter if "global warming" or "climate change" or whatever they're calling it today is real or not.

The Left has co-opted the debate. This is the new battlefield. This is the cover for their next big push. The climate no longer matters, if it ever did in the first place.

View Quote

Disagree.

I think it's going to matter a lot if/when really profound evidence emerges one way or the other.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
With a Doctor(a PhD, not one that is really a Dr and allowed to practice Medicine)  and need some help with facts.  Sorry she's not gonna accept some blog site as actual data.  So that rules out most google searches.  A few years ago bunk reports were submitted to Congress.  Im trying to find stuff on that or similar.

So with that said, Can ARFCOM help me out and get me info to win the debate.  She's not really a believer in Global Warming but isnt convinced it's a scam either.  Also whoever wins gets to park in the driveway and not on the side parking space.  So save me 12 feet of walking and help me win this debate
View Quote

Ask her if she knows the #1 greenhouse gas. It's water vapor not co2.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Tell her how normally I heat my house with 4.5 tons of coal. Last year I used 6 tons of coal because of how cold it was.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Ask her if the Viking towns they are discovering as glaciers on Greenland are a hoax? Greenland had an agricultural society during the medieval warming period, until it cooled off and the glaciers covered up their towns. Also point out that plants do better and grow faster if they have more CO2 in the air than there is now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dinosaurs lived  in a much warmer world.
the world cooled
they died.

Are we currently in an ace age?

If no, apparently catalismic climate change is a natural phenomenon.  Thinking that man has any impact on non catalismic climate change is silly.
View Quote

You know we are currently in an ice age, right?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck the bitch and just walk the extra twelve feet
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Aside from that, the "My expert vs. your expert" game probably wouldn't be a good strategy for this particular issue.  I haven't looked, but I suspect there is more peer-reviewed scientific data arguing against OP's POV than for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is, Thank you

I have looked. Peer reviewed scientific journals only publish one sided articles. I'll let you guess which side that is.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Disagree.

I think it's going to matter a lot if/when really profound evidence emerges one way or the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree.

Really? For at least one side of this debate, this issue has become a religion. What "profound evidence" could you possibly offer them that would convince them that their God is dead?

Like it or not, this is now an ideological battle. It will never be about the climate, ever again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ask her if she knows the #1 greenhouse gas. It's water vapor not co2.
View Quote

What if she understands that increased carbon dioxide is what's causing more water vapor to enter the atmosphere, which leads to warmer temperatures, which causes even more water vapor to be absorbed into the air in a spiraling cycle? She might be smarter than we think.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have looked. Peer reviewed scientific journals only publish one sided articles. I'll let you guess which side that is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is, Thank you

So, all peer-reviewed scientific journals only publish one-sided articles, 100% of the time?  And you "know" this to be a demonstrable fact?

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]
ask her how do we have global warming now all of a sudden..... but millions of years ago there were t-rex living in montana?? im pretty sure the planet gets hot ( t-rex hanging in montana), and cold ( several ice ages)...... looking at the last 100 years of " record" hot and cold does not mean shit in the scheme of things.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I suspect we are on the same side. I should have been clearer. Global warming deniers don't get published. The position of the mainstream scientific community
is that global warming deniers are members of the lunatic fringe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Send the person these.  Papers from Nature about the holes in climate change evidence.  It's doesn't say it's not happening, but it's the most honest thing I've heard from climate scientists where they admit how much they don't know.

The real holes in climate science- http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100120/full/463284a.html

Climate change: The forecast for 2018 is cloudy with record heat - http://www.nature.com/news/climate-change-the-forecast-for-2018-is-cloudy-with-record-heat-1.13344

RF
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
... Peer reviewed scientific journals only publish one sided articles...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
... Peer reviewed scientific journals only publish one sided articles...

Quoted:
... Global warming deniers don't get published. The position of the mainstream scientific community
is that global warming deniers are members of the lunatic fringe.

When a definitive pattern emerges in a field of research, maybe we should pay attention to it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Ask her to explain what caused the end of the last ice age 15,000 years ago.  Earth's climate has always changed and there are forces of nature much greater than man.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#42]
The Earth has been much warmer than it is now. The Earth has been much colder than it is now. Ask her what percentage of a set of data she would rate as being statistically significant. Then remind her that the Earth is around 4.5 billion years old and that "climate scientists" are basing their hypothesis on around 100 years of somewhat unreliable and incomplete data. That 100 years would be .0000022% of the 4.5 billion years the Earth has been around. And that figure would be if their data was 100% complete and accurate which we know it is not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#44]
the more educated they are the dumber they are
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#45]
If it's a "friendly" debate, you're doing it wrong.

Those motherfuckers are clearly wrong, and the ringleaders of the "global warming/climate change" shit are also clearly using it as a lever to destroy capitalism and institute communism.  

For that, "friendly" should not be in the motherfucking lexicon.

ETA: the problem isn't "climate change".  Whether it exists or not, the two really important questions do NOT have solid, proven answers.  Those questions are:

1.  Is climate change caused by us, or is it inherent in our planet's existence.
2.  If it is caused by us - then what, exactly, are we doing to influence it.

My humble and unlearned opinion is that there is a small level of influence on the climate of our planet by human activity.  However, I believe that the vast miles of pavement and buildings that man has constructed and the number of green plants that have disappeared due to the growth of populated areas has the main influence.....and again, I believe that it is very small overall.  The evidence is right in front of us - in the desert the temps normally drop when the sun goes down.  In the Phoenix metro area, the huge area of developed space....all concrete and roofs.....results in daytime temps reaching over 120 degrees, and the temps STAY over 100 degrees most of the night due to the absorbed heat radiating back into the air over a vast area.  "Greenhouse gases" - mainly emissions from automobiles and coal fired power plants, are not proven to be causative - these issues are conflated into the "climate change" issue by the radical left who have co-opted the environmental cause in order to use the issue to punish capitalist systems and bring about the change to communism that they want.  Since big energy and the automotive industry are such big capitalist icons, and cheap energy strongly enables the capitalist system, they have become the targets for the movement....and screw the scientific process.

Tell your friend that and show her the evidence.  If she really is smart and open minded, she'll see the problem.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Tell her to google climategate 1 and 2.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#47]
climatedepot.com lots on there.krauthammer has a nice post about us-china swindle
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you have a position without being able to explain why you have that position, perhaps it's one rooted in emotion rather than reason. Also if you can't find evidence for your particular position, maybe it's because you're wrong.
View Quote

Nope, this is AR15. Everyone know science better than any evidence can prove.

Yet none of them can provide any facts to back up their findings.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You mean, those peer reviewed journals that colluded to keep dissenting articles out, that colluded to fake their data?  Those journals?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is, Thank you

You mean, those peer reviewed journals that colluded to keep dissenting articles out, that colluded to fake their data?  Those journals?
Yep those ones. I feel like we've been here before.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The lack of glaicers in the great lakes region proves that global warming happens. Moog and Grog probably aren't responsible for it happening any more than modern man would be.
View Quote
Uncle Moog did blame Grog for it though
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top