Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Psychology has always interested me.

Not sure I'd want to be examined by a shrink, though.  I don't want to find out that I'm more fucked up than I think I am.

View Quote

As with a job interview. I'm much more the interviewer than the interviewee.

I own my fuckedupedness. Just make some effort to surround myself with people who are also comfortable with it and vice versa.

It's the fucked up people in denial that are difficult.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And just how long have you felt this way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure I'd want to be examined by a shrink, though.  I don't want to find out that I'm more fucked up than I think I am.

And just how long have you felt this way?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I own my fuckedupedness. Just make some effort to surround myself with people who are also comfortable with it and vice versa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
WHo needs a shrink when you have GD.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You  "How abnormal is that, anyway, Doc?"
Doc "Do you feel that is abnormal?"
You "I don't know I am asking you"
Doc"Hmmmmmm" (Writing notes on a pad"

There you go I just saved you the cost of seeing a shrink
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Somebody go try it and report back.
View Quote

ok, i followed your advice.  here's what happened...

mr ar-jedi: "honey, on the advice of ARFCOM GD it was suggested that i talk to you about my feelings and emotions and stuff like that."

mrs ar-jedi: "speaking as a licensed professional counselor (LPC) with a graduate degree in psychology and a concentration in marital counseling, i'm a little worried that it took a bunch of slack-jawed, redneck, gun-totin' hill-billy-boys who you don't even know to tell you that talking about your feelings might be a good idea."

mr ar-jedi: "ok, gotta go report back!"

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

mr ar-jedi: "honey, on the advice of ARFCOM GD it was suggested that i talk to you about my feelings and emotions and stuff like that."

mrs ar-jedi: "speaking as a licensed professional counselor (LPC) with a graduate degree in psychology and a concentration in marital counseling, i'm a little worried that it took a bunch of slack-jawed, redneck, gun-totin' hill-billy-boys who you don't even know to tell you that talking about your feelings might be a good idea."

ar-jedi

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/sopranos_season_1_blu-ray/large/01_sopranos_season_1_blu-ray_compare.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody go try it and report back.

ar-jedi

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/sopranos_season_1_blu-ray/large/01_sopranos_season_1_blu-ray_compare.jpg

That's MR. slack-jawed, redneck, gun-totin' hill-billy-boy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Psychology IS really interesting.

Unless you're trying to fix some of these messed up souls.

Then it sucks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When my marriage fell apart and the papers were filed I went to one, no shame here. I went on advice of a close friend. I was skeptical as fuck at first but as soon as I got in there I realized everything I felt, feared, beat myself up over could be poured out. It felt GREAT. Imagine being able to just dump out everything on someone without any judgement. I saw her for about 3 months after wife and I separated. I know all the tough guys here will be against it but I believe it really is therapeutic.
View Quote

I went for a while after my Grandfather died, my girlfriend committed suicide and someone was killed in a car accident I was involved in... all in 3 years. It felt great. I should probably go back but it's expensive
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know how common it is (I'm thinking very common) for people to have things bouncing around in their head that go unsaid to even the most trusted friend/spouse.

As much for the friend/spouses' protection as the secret holder.

Is that a part of why people go? To "confess" or "unload" thoughts that they wonder about?

I'm sure there's the litany of "My boyfriend doesn't understand me" and "I just can't stop eating ice cream at midnight" or "I'm depressed and don't know why" sorts of things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  I know this isn't what you mean, but I think that absolutely everyone could benefit from talking to one at least every once in a while.

I don't know how common it is (I'm thinking very common) for people to have things bouncing around in their head that go unsaid to even the most trusted friend/spouse.

As much for the friend/spouses' protection as the secret holder.

Is that a part of why people go? To "confess" or "unload" thoughts that they wonder about?

I'm sure there's the litany of "My boyfriend doesn't understand me" and "I just can't stop eating ice cream at midnight" or "I'm depressed and don't know why" sorts of things.

The way I get those things off my chest / out of my mind is I go talk to the first hobo I can find.

Then I murder him and dump his body in the river it seems pretty healthy to me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#11]
It's very hard to express how great it can feel when you share things that bother you with a professionally trained, objective but sympathetic stranger.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shrinks be crazy, Yo.
View Quote

They are the best patients for other shrinks.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was about 20 out of the blue I started having bad panic attacks and ended up seeing one. We talked for probably a grand total of 15 minutes about random bullshit and he wrote me some valium and anti-depressants, even though I never mentioned anything about being depressed. It was nothing like tv, there was no couch to lay on. He sat behind his desk and I sat in a chair in front of him. Going back the next month was even quicker, basically, "doing any better or worse?" "yeah/no" "ok, here's your refill", out the door. After a year or so the attacks stopped and I used the valium for sleeping meds and never went back. Overall not a bad experience, If I thought I needed it I'd go again...probably not to that same one though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I had an Aunt who was a drunk and a very heavy cigarette smoker.

She went to a shrink, who somehow blamed her problems on my MOTHER, who was born two years after she was!

No one needs a degree, all those textbooks are available in the public domain.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top