BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. They'll use that visit to take your guns in a few years. Wish I were more than halfway joking.
View Quote

They'll use failure to visit one as the other excuse.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Married one
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a gun owner in NY and one of the most anti gun counties in the state, fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I do not trust them

The VA ER room could not figure out why I kept having attacks that made me feel
like I could not breathe and my chest hurt. (Basically feeling like a heart attack).

They had a lazy ass shrink who without even talking to me wanted to put me on meds
It turns out I have asthma, and because of him my asthma went untreated for years
(so now it's far worse than it should be)

I wonder how many other Vets that fucking lazy asshole misdiagnosed.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't even know what to say anymore here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope. They'll use that visit to take your guns in a few years. Wish I were more than halfway joking.

I don't even know what to say anymore here.

Indeed

Going to a shrink or using your EAP hours will not get your guns taken. That is pure bullshit. I have used EAP many times to deal with things in my job. Dead kids bother me and being a father and having to deal with homicides can wear on you. Some asshats here are too hard and manly for EAP. Yeah, bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have never been to one, but I would imagine that their time isn't cheap.
View Quote

yeah, I have a couple hundred dollars an hour to gamble on some shrink diagnosing me with some bullshit mental illness.

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not a "bullshit mental illness" if you are really crazy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good advice.

I consider myself to be plenty sane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Having a background in counseling, I don't have any stigmas or problem with talking to a professional.

If you're healthy, why fear it? If you're not, you definitely could use it.

IMHO.

Good advice.

I consider myself to be plenty sane.

you've been going through a pretty stressful time, so it's something to consider.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I once knew someone who was a shrink for the county.  Does that count?

Never talked to him in the professional sense but we had a few

really good talks about the state of things.

He thought the time for a real SHTF scenario was closer than my estimation.

Does that mean he was crazier than me?  

But then again, if the Fergistan gets squirrely he may be proven right.

My ex-wife tried to get me into a marriage counselors office once.

I told her "I'm not the one that's crazy or broken, I don't need the help."

After 3 visits he diagnosed her as being manic depressive .....

(thanks doc, You ain't tellin' me nothin' I don't already know!  Took you that long?)

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope I am irish, and we are irretrievably crazy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
NO

everything you say will come back to bite you in the ass
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, I'm not any crazier than anyone else (we're all a little crazy).

The NYPD shrink shooting her husband thread got me thinking.

I think it would/might be fun/interesting to talk to someone who's had the experience of hearing the depths of human thoughts. Just to see where you are on the scale.

I guess it probably doesn't work that way, though. Share a thought and then ask, "How abnormal is that, anyway, Doc?" I doubt you'd ever get a straight answer.

Somebody go try it and report back.

View Quote

HELL NO
what good can come of it none go get a bartender, priest or hooker and talk to them - no paper trail.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't.  See a shrink and you could be disqualified from having pew pews.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think it would/might be fun/interesting to talk to someone who's had the experience of hearing the depths of human thoughts. Just to see where you are on the scale.

I guess it probably doesn't work that way, though. Share a thought and then ask, "How abnormal is that, anyway, Doc?" I doubt you'd ever get a straight answer.

View Quote

If you have a lick of commons sense you should be counseling those mental midgets.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]

So much stupidity and paranoia in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Having to put up with my bitch of a mother for 50 years.......yes its crossed my mind
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No reason to spend money just for the hell of it. I've spoken to several of them extensively because I had to do it to save myself. If you just want deep conversation try a Padre, if the first one doesn't work for you there's nothing lost and it's easy to find another.

That's my .02.

BTW questions like "is that abnormal" may not elicit a response.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
they will make non-existent problems into major issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
they will make non-existent problems into major issues.
View Quote

That's what makes the cash register ring.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Might feel good to talk to someone crazier than myself, but no.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#23]
With the traits I have they wouldn't talk to me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I probably should have after my divorce.

Meh, 14 years later , I'm fine
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Been a few times, we will go back.  Working though some things on the death of my son.

Pick a guy you can trust.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#26]
The OP wants to do it just for fun.
Sometimes universities have shrinks that will do that. I just remembered I knew someone that did that when she went to school. She said it was bullshit but it was free and she seemed to have fun just screwing with the "shrink"

These days it seems like that would be playing with fire.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I see one at least once a week. He plays racquetball with us. He's not all there, like most psychologists.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shrinks be crazy, Yo.
View Quote

+1

Most of them have deep psycho-pathology.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Depends who you talk to. Been there, done that. You have to find someone you "click" with. I have found Psychologists much more helpful than Psychiatrists.
One talks to you, the other just dispenses meds.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do not trust them

like I could not breathe and my chest hurt. (Basically feeling like a heart attack).

They had a lazy ass shrink who without even talking to me wanted to put me on meds
It turns out I have asthma, and because of him my asthma went untreated for years

View Quote

Tell me, I walked out on a VA "Psychiatrist" that had me feeling worse when I left than when I came in. He was a piece of crap that should not be trying to help anyone.  
There are some VA employees that really try to help, but they are understaffed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, you don't know unless you have been here. Us crazies understand the other crazies. We speak the same language no one else understands. Especially for us Vets.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was on my psychiatry rotation in med school, we got to chat with the psychiatrists for a while. They did have an interesting take on life.

The old saying about "you have to be crazy to go into psychiatry/psychology/social work" has more than a little truth to it.

If you ever get a chance to do an MMPI, do it. It's a many-hundred question test (all yes/no) that is designed to assess for different personality traits and disorders. I did one on psych. I came out pretty normal on all the measure, except I rated high on paranoia. When I asked the psychologist who was doing the scoring about this, he said, "Oh, that's because you answered yes on a couple of the questions about weapons and self-defense."
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:19:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks, you don't know unless you have been here. Us crazies understand the other crazies. We speak the same language no one else understands. Especially for us Vets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but but you don't have a tank. Explain yourself! !!!

J/K I'm not one of those dick heads. Glad you found help
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

When I was on my psychiatry rotation in med school, we got to chat with the psychiatrists for a while. They did have an interesting take on life.

View Quote

The old saying about "you have to be crazy to go into psychiatry/psychology/social work" has more than a little truth to it.

If you ever get a chance to do an MMPI, do it. It's a many-hundred question test (all yes/no) that is designed to assess for different personality traits and disorders. I did one on psych. I came out pretty normal on all the measure, except I rated high on paranoia. When I asked the psychologist who was doing the scoring about this, he said, "Oh, that's because you answered yes on a couple of the questions about weapons and self-defense."

A lot of them go into the field because of their own problems. Then they project them onto others.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Had one live next door. I felt he needed to talk to some one. Another one I knew killed himself?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A lot of them go into the field because of their own problems. Then they project them onto others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I messed with one just this last week.  She gave me a verbal test and I had to answer on a scale from 1 to 5. 1 being the least,  5 the worst. Some of my answers to her was 7.  She said the scale  only goes to 5.  I told her, but I am a 7. Us crazies....
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#37]
What? Are you nuts?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is what i would be afraid of happening. Get some hard core gun grabbin liberal shrink, who anytime runs across a gun owning patient makes sure they report you to have your stuff taken. May be an irrational fear, but how can you go if you feel that is a possibility?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turn in yer guns, your dangerous to us if u need talkin' to

This is what i would be afraid of happening. Get some hard core gun grabbin liberal shrink, who anytime runs across a gun owning patient makes sure they report you to have your stuff taken. May be an irrational fear, but how can you go if you feel that is a possibility?

um....maybe just lie about owning guns if asked?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#39]
The only time I ever talked to a psychiatrist it was against my will, they made me go once every 6 months for a "talk". .

This was a mandatory thing in the USAF to be on the "Personnel Reliability Program".
PRP

I have a vivid memory of one of these "talks" with one of the shrinks.
USAF Major Shrink: "Tell me about being drunk, how do you know when you're drunk?"
GhettoCowboy: "When I lose control of my bodily functions and piss and shit myself".

I got a month off from my normal duties and got to wash airplanes before he would see me again for a re-evaluation

The Strategic Air Command had no sense of humor. "To err is human, to forgive is not SAC policy"

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#40]
One of my favorite jokes:

A guy walks into a psychiatrist office naked and wrapped in plastic. The psychiatrist says to him: "Well, I can clearly see your nuts."
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tell me, I walked out on a VA "Psychiatrist" that had me feeling worse when I left than when I came in. He was a piece of crap that should not be trying to help anyone.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not trust them

That's unfortunate you guys had those experiences. I spent some time as an in patient at a rehab center and it was staffed with highly intelligent, caring, tough love counselors, psychiatrists and psychologists. They were also as nuts as we were, but they used that to their advantage. It was the most illuminating year of my life.

The facility had only 400 of 800 beds filled. It was built in WW2 and had seen little maintenance. It's a shame there hasn't been more emphasis on mental health care with the hundreds of thousands of men and women needing it after the recent long term wars.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Hell no.

gd
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#43]

I can tell you from experience, you really don't want to do that, most of them are crazier than the folks that used to roam the halls of our finest institutions.

I even dated a psych major, and holy shit was she crazy.

So don't, even if you think you have some problems, talk with your local pastor or a good close friend. Sometimes what you seek is within you, not someones shoddy education.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
One of my favorite jokes:

A guy walks into a psychiatrist office naked and wrapped in plastic. The psychiatrist says to him: "Well, I can clearly see your nuts."
View Quote

We love homophones.

Fred Phelps be damned.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Hi there Ridgerunner do you mind telling us how long you have felt this way?

I see, have to told anyone else?

Any meds currently taking?

describe your day and what makes you feel what you are feeling now.

I want you to take note or a diary of events and things that cause you the most fear.

that will be 150.00 bucks please pay on your way out and I will see ya in 3 days.

Bye Bye now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Just give this guy a call.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Psychology has always interested me.

Not sure I'd want to be examined by a shrink, though.  I don't want to find out that I'm more fucked up than I think I am.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Psychology has always interested me.

Not sure I'd want to be examined by a shrink, though.  I don't want to find out that I'm more fucked up than I think I am.

View Quote

And just how long have you felt this way?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#49]
hell no I am not paying a 10 dollar copay to talk to some shrink...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#50]

The Mrs. and I enjoy that show.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top