View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's like trying to explain M-theory to your cat.

Paul Derangement Syndrome.

Paul derrangement syndrome is when you see and hear Paul do things that you would condemn vociferously, had you heard it coming from any other Republican, but you will white-wash, defend and make excuses for, if it comes from "Paul."

THAT is Paul derrangement syndrome.  

Personally, I have always found such adoring worship of politicians or families of professional politicians (Kennedys, Pelosis, Pauls, Bushes, Clintons) to be cult-like and distasteful.  I don't like politicians.

I will agree that PDS goes both ways as teh Botz can be some of the most annoying, zombie-like followers I have ever seen.

I personally never cared for the old man myself so I have no "family loyalty" other than the fact that Rand seems like a very pragmatic, limited gov type on most issues and I agree with that.

I also tend to agree with a lot of what he said in and after Ferguson. He purposely stayed out of the direct incident but did raise some issues that should be at least spoken about with reasonable members of the minority community. I hardly foresee him taking long, warm showers with Sharpton and neither do you.

Intransigence will not benefit them or us and as long as there are reasonable sorts willing to talk rationally, we should do just that.

I also agree that in too many instances, the cops are looking and acting way too much like the .mil.

I may cut him a little slack due in small part to his relative inexperience but that only goes so far. If yer gonna swim in the deep end and all but, there will be snipers on both flanks, front and rear, enemy and "friendly" so personally, I'll be doing a lot of fact checking before I kick him to the curb. I really think he might do us some good if he can get in there.

Or he might turn out to be just another dickhead, pandering politician but so far, he's OK to me.

YMMV

Did you read his Ferguson editorial?

I've read many items from him out there. Can you give me something more specific?

I'll be glad to check it out.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like Rand, but his pandering in Ferguson is unforgivable.  He won't get my support in the primaries.

Ted Cruz, 2016.
View Quote

You keep saying pandering.   It's not pandering just to disagree with you.   But you know that......
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
God y'all are nuts.

Rand makes great points about the WoD, involvement in being team America world police, the police state, and other issues of Liberty.

Liberals who are typically against war and some of those things see Rand as someone who will actually do something about those topics and would vote for Rand over Bush in Pant Suit and you think it's a bad thing.

I am going to put this out there, I will vote for Rand, I will not vote for Jeb, Krispy, etc..  I will vote Gary J and not care when you all try to tell me Kris Krispy bought a NRA membership and is a swell guy.

Rand would wipe the floor with Hillary in an election.  He would get the independent vote and young vote, Hillary wouldn't carry that.

Yall dye in wool republicans will vote straight R anyways, so it doesn't matter who gets it for you.

Also, Rand is a gun owner and shoots AR15s, I don't think he's going to EO gun bans like the Fudd Bush family did.
View Quote

Well said.   If the GOP wants the White House (pretty much no matter WHO runs from the ass party) they can nominate him........Or they can lose because nobody else they're even talking about is gonna have a chance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one where he said there was no excuse for looting and rioting? Where he said bad policy choices were contributing to the unnecessarily adversarial relationship between the people and law enforcement? The one where he effectively inoculated himself against the inevitable charges of racism and bigotry that are always interjected into libertarian campaigns? (and not just by the left?)

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The one where he said there was no excuse for looting and rioting? Where he said bad policy choices were contributing to the unnecessarily adversarial relationship between the people and law enforcement? The one where he effectively inoculated himself against the inevitable charges of racism and bigotry that are always interjected into libertarian campaigns? (and not just by the left?)

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

If that's the one in TIME, yes, I read it and can't really find any grievous pandering or bedding down with Sharpton et al.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You keep saying pandering.   It's not pandering just to disagree with you.   But you know that......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Rand, but his pandering in Ferguson is unforgivable.  He won't get my support in the primaries.

Ted Cruz, 2016.

Yes, I DO know that.

Of course, I am not saying that he pandered because he somehow "disagreed" with me.

I am saying he was pandering, because he was quite clearly pandering.  But you know that...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

It's not a crime.  He just pushed forward a position on many news shows and wrote an editorial, that in my opinion demonstrated a lack of judgement, which makes him not my choice for the Republican primaries.

"Libertarian campaigns"?   What libertarian campaign?  What are you talking about?

I find these comments to be most unfortunate:
"Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them."

"If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot."

On the contrary, Ted Cruz reacted to and commented on the situation in a much more Presidential manner.  Thus, Ted Cruz 2016.

You obviosly prefer Rand Paul over Ted Cruz.  What's Ted's "crime"?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, I DO know that.

Of course, I am not saying that he pandered because he somehow "disagreed" with me.

I am saying he was pandering, because he was quite clearly pandering.  But you know that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted Cruz, 2016.

Yes, I DO know that.

Well why don't we see if he has any follow-on talks with minority leaders and who they might be and what they might or might not agree on before we string him up?

If he beds down with the usual suspects, we'll know he's FOS.

Then we can string him up and I'll take point.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well why don't we see if he has any follow-on talks with minority leaders and who they might be and what they might or might not agree on before we string him up?

Then we can string him up an I'll take point.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted Cruz, 2016.

Yes, I DO know that.

You guys are so emotionally attached to your little politicians.  So what if people don't like your favorite politician?  Your defensiveness goes way too far.  It's actually kind of creepy.

I'm not saying that Rand Paul's comments were criminal or deserved of being "strung up."

I just won't vote for him in the Primaries.  Is that so terrible?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone really think what Rand said about the things going on is JUST about (and dependent on the facts of) this one case?  

Anybody?

I didn't think so.  

He's going after a bunch of serious valid gripes just like every other politician using this case to make a point.  Was the guy that got shot a saint?  Who cares?
Was the cop a JBT?   I don't know.  Neither do any of us unless we worked with him or experienced his behavior directly.  

It's not about him.   It's not about the guy that got shot.

It's about the issues surrounding those events, and those issues need discussing.   Seriously.   Rand might not be right on all of em either, but he's not afraid to stand up and say we need to talk about it, and THAT is what makes him more electable than ANYONE else the GOP has right now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You guys are so emotionally attached to your little politicians.  So what if people don't like your favorite politician?  Your defensiveness goes way too far.  It's actually kind of creepy.

I'm not saying that Rand Paul's comments were criminal or deserving of being "strung up."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted Cruz, 2016.

Yes, I DO know that.

I'm not saying that Rand Paul's comments were criminal or deserving of being "strung up."

Um...there's no manlove here, just a faint hope of getting a really different kind of man in the big chair.

Euphemisms man, euphamisms.

And I saw what you wrote in the other thread about the primary and the general.  

And I'm just like you. I gotta go with Paul because I truly don't think Cruz can win the general however, if he winds up on the ballot, I'll DAMN sure pull the lever for him.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone really think what Rand said about the things going on is JUST about (and dependent on the facts of) this one case?  

Anybody?

I didn't think so.  

He's going after a bunch of serious valid gripes just like every other politician using this case to make a point.  Was the guy that got shot a saint?  Who cares?
Was the cop a JBT?   I don't know.  Neither do any of us unless we worked with him or experienced his behavior directly.  

It's about the issues surrounding those events, and those issues need discussing.   Seriously.   Rand might not be right on all of em either, but he's not afraid to stand up and say we need to talk about it, and THAT is what makes him more electable than ANYONE else the GOP has right now.
View Quote

You sure do love your little politician.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now you done it, brother!  Yikes!  Head for the hills!  
View Quote

But that's not Rand Paul actually meant when he said those things.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is no doubt that he is speaking to a larger point, and that point may be very valid.

However, he CHOSE to make specific comments about a particular case, and he CHOSE to regurgitate particular liberal talking points about race, and in so doing, he needs to accept the consequences of doing so.

For example, I can make an argument about how U.S. military activity in the world may have been overly aggressive and misguided over the past decade.  It might be a very legitimate argument, that many people would agree with.

However, if I CHOSE to make that argument by specifically talking about how Cheney took us to war so that Haliburton could make lots of oil money, and how George Bush secretly had the CIA blow up the World Trade center to justify his oil war - then I have seriously undermined my argument, and I have opened myself up to scorn and ridicule.  

Rand made his choice about HOW to make his larger argument, and I believe it was a poor choice to go with Al Sharpton and the liberal playbook in order to make his argument - even if his larger argument may have a lot of validity to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody?

I didn't think so.  

There is no doubt that he is speaking to a larger point, and that point may be very valid.

However, he CHOSE to make specific comments about a particular case, and he CHOSE to regurgitate particular liberal talking points about race, and in so doing, he needs to accept the consequences of doing so.

For example, I can make an argument about how U.S. military activity in the world may have been overly aggressive and misguided over the past decade.  It might be a very legitimate argument, that many people would agree with.

However, if I CHOSE to make that argument by specifically talking about how Cheney took us to war so that Haliburton could make lots of oil money, and how George Bush secretly had the CIA blow up the World Trade center to justify his oil war - then I have seriously undermined my argument, and I have opened myself up to scorn and ridicule.  

Rand made his choice about HOW to make his larger argument, and I believe it was a poor choice to go with Al Sharpton and the liberal playbook in order to make his argument - even if his larger argument may have a lot of validity to it.

Your whole argument that Rand "went with Al Sharpton" is predicated on his statement that he wouldn't expect to be shot for mouthing off.

It isn't known yet and may never be how he came to get shot, especially since the stories about him robbing a store and breaking the officers occipital both turned out to be wrong.

What is known is that his community does expect people to get shot for mouthing off, and I know that doesn't surprise me.

I tend to agree with you wording of the opening statement of the Time article was an error in judgment, especially before enough facts had come out, but I also remember the state of the story at that time, and understand the points he was trying to make, rather than the ones being attributed to him that would lead anyone to associate him with somebody like Sharpton.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever "would lead anyone to associate him with somebody like Sharpton"?

Except for the fact that Rand Paul actually does associate with Al Sharpton.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Paul's press secretary, Eleanor May, [said] the meeting with Sharpton is "another example of Sen. Paul's willingness to work across the aisle to solve our nation's problems."
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"One of the neo-cons".

Name calling will please people and turn them to your way of thinking.

All you need to do is to continue to ratchet up the name calling.

It would also be helpful for you to learn the definitions of the epithets you toss at others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, what I like about Rand most is how much he bothers the neo-cons here in GD.

Makes me wonder what they are so afraid of.

They say, Stop being libertarian. Work within the Republican Party."

Last I looked, Rand is a Republican. Some of us libertarian types are doing exactly what you always whine that we should do—working within the Republican Party—and you bastards whine anyway.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/97/975399a0bf18e01ac645add63772b2744a192f1adf0c24efc70e5d7c0c89c989.jpg
What point is there in dialog with such folks?

Your strawmen are tiresome.

You seem to be taking criticism of Rand Paul personally.  I find that odd.

I didn't mind Marco Rubio.  But then he pushed for pseudo-amnesty.  Now I will no longer support him.  Period.

I liked and supported Rand Paul.  But then he pandered to the race pimps and provided moral support to victimhood cult that we see on display in Ferguson.  Now I will no longer support him.

It's nothing personal.  It's not about you.  Rand just demonstrated a quality that I find distasteful in a politician.
It IS funny to see so many people defending his pandering and the idea of "electability" and the ability to appeal to moderates.  
Like I said, I prefer Ted Cruz.  I think he's much better qualified and more intellectually honest.

Says one of the neo-cons I was speaking of.  We now see that it makes no difference what we do. There is no pleasing you.    

"One of the neo-cons".

Name calling will please people and turn them to your way of thinking.

All you need to do is to continue to ratchet up the name calling.

It would also be helpful for you to learn the definitions of the epithets you toss at others.
Coming from a member of the "get-off-my-lawn" welcome wagon of the R party?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Here are some of his comments that are probably bothering people:

"If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot."
- here, he is actively selling the bullshit narrative that poor Michael Brown was just gunned down for "smarting off" to a police officer.   I saw that more as him admitting the contrast in the way he viewed police vs how they are perceived by those people today. Perception is key and if you're trying to strike up a conversation with what is typically a hostile group at a very high stress time, a little perceived smpathy for their "plight" might just help get it started.  

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif" />  He doesn't seem to leave any room for error there, or question whether perhaps Michael Brown was violent or attacked the officer - but has completely BOUGHT the bullshit story that Michael Brown didn't attack the officer, but just "smarted off" and was shot for it. You're kinda stretching it there Professor.  
"The outrage in Ferguson is understandable"

- while he pays lip service earlier to how rioting and violence is wrong, this statement then waters that down, and suggests that perhaps there is some justification, since the "outrage" is apparently perfectly reasonable.  And WHY is the outrage so reasonable?  Because of the bullshit story of Michael Brown just being gunned down for "smarting off" that he has decided to peddle. Here again, you read into his statement something that he did not say. His point is that in the macro sense, not this particular incident. The only contextual conclusion I could draw from this item..."The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response." ... was to bring into focus hisposition that the police are becoming too militarized.

The images and scenes we continue to see in Ferguson resemble war more than traditional police action.

"Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them." Do you dispute the racial disparities? Remember, he's trying to start a conversation with these people.
- this just seems like blatant racial pandering.  Really, it's IMPOSSIBLE for blacks to not feel like their government is "targeting" them?  
You may see it that way and you may yet turn out to be right but i think you're just a little quick on the trigger.
"Our prisons are full of black and brown men and women who are serving inappropriately long and harsh sentences for non-violent mistakes in their youth."
- this is a classic liberal talking point  It may be but the whole WOD thing is past its prime. It has done NOTHING to stem the availability, quality or even the price of drugs for those who want them. I would argue that between the WOD and the WOT, we have been robbed of more of our freedoms in persuit of these "wars" than any external foe could have taken from us and in the process, we have created a whole industry of warehousing people which, if it all shut its doors tomorrow, would have a significant impact on the GDP of the country. Can you imagine? A lot of us are tired of this.    

By actively promulgating the story that Michael Brown was killed for "smarting off" to a police officer (essentially supporting the murder/execution accusation, if you take it to the logical conclusion), he HAS CHOSEN the narrative of the Al Sharptons of the world (before the facts were known).  He then CHOSE to follow that up with classic liberal talking points of victimization, in terms of how the outrage is "reasonable" and how it's "impossible" for black people to not feel targeted by the government, and how our prisons are full of black people who just made some minor "mistakes"  - that is pandering, plain and simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

If that's the one in TIME, yes, I read it and can't really find any grievous pandering or bedding down with Sharpton et al.

- here, he is actively selling the bullshit narrative that poor Michael Brown was just gunned down for "smarting off" to a police officer.   I saw that more as him admitting the contrast in the way he viewed police vs how they are perceived by those people today. Perception is key and if you're trying to strike up a conversation with what is typically a hostile group at a very high stress time, a little perceived smpathy for their "plight" might just help get it started.  

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif" />  He doesn't seem to leave any room for error there, or question whether perhaps Michael Brown was violent or attacked the officer - but has completely BOUGHT the bullshit story that Michael Brown didn't attack the officer, but just "smarted off" and was shot for it. You're kinda stretching it there Professor.  

- while he pays lip service earlier to how rioting and violence is wrong, this statement then waters that down, and suggests that perhaps there is some justification, since the "outrage" is apparently perfectly reasonable.  And WHY is the outrage so reasonable?  Because of the bullshit story of Michael Brown just being gunned down for "smarting off" that he has decided to peddle. Here again, you read into his statement something that he did not say. His point is that in the macro sense, not this particular incident. The only contextual conclusion I could draw from this item..."The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response." ... was to bring into focus hisposition that the police are becoming too militarized.

The images and scenes we continue to see in Ferguson resemble war more than traditional police action.

"Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them." Do you dispute the racial disparities? Remember, he's trying to start a conversation with these people.
- this just seems like blatant racial pandering.  Really, it's IMPOSSIBLE for blacks to not feel like their government is "targeting" them?  
You may see it that way and you may yet turn out to be right but i think you're just a little quick on the trigger.
"Our prisons are full of black and brown men and women who are serving inappropriately long and harsh sentences for non-violent mistakes in their youth."
- this is a classic liberal talking point  It may be but the whole WOD thing is past its prime. It has done NOTHING to stem the availability, quality or even the price of drugs for those who want them. I would argue that between the WOD and the WOT, we have been robbed of more of our freedoms in persuit of these "wars" than any external foe could have taken from us and in the process, we have created a whole industry of warehousing people which, if it all shut its doors tomorrow, would have a significant impact on the GDP of the country. Can you imagine? A lot of us are tired of this.    

By actively promulgating the story that Michael Brown was killed for "smarting off" to a police officer (essentially supporting the murder/execution accusation, if you take it to the logical conclusion), he HAS CHOSEN the narrative of the Al Sharptons of the world (before the facts were known).  He then CHOSE to follow that up with classic liberal talking points of victimization, in terms of how the outrage is "reasonable" and how it's "impossible" for black people to not feel targeted by the government, and how our prisons are full of black people who just made some minor "mistakes"  - that is pandering, plain and simple.
You read a lot more into his statement than he actually said.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[span style='color: red;']You read a lot more into his statement than he actually said.[/span]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

- here, he is actively selling the bullshit narrative that poor Michael Brown was just gunned down for "smarting off" to a police officer.  [url=http://
http://]

I saw that more as him admitting the contrast in the way he viewed police vs how they are perceived by those people today. Perception is key and if you're trying to strike up a conversation with what is typically a hostile group at a very high stress time, a little perceived smpathy for their "plight" might just help get it started. [/span]  

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_thinking.gif" />  He doesn't seem to leave any room for error there, or question whether perhaps Michael Brown was violent or attacked the officer - but has completely BOUGHT the bullshit story that Michael Brown didn't attack the officer, but just "smarted off" and was shot for it. [span style='color: red;']You're kinda stretching it there Professor.   [/span] [span style='font-weight: bold;']
[span style='font-style: italic;']"The outrage in Ferguson is understandable"[/span][/span]
- while he pays lip service earlier to how rioting and violence is wrong, this statement then waters that down, and suggests that perhaps there is some justification, since the "outrage" is apparently perfectly reasonable.  And WHY is the outrage so reasonable?  Because of the bullshit story of Michael Brown just being gunned down for "smarting off" that he has decided to peddle. [span style='color: red;']Here again, you read into his statement something that he did not say. His point is that in the macro sense, not this particular incident. The only contextual conclusion I could draw from this item[/span]..."The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response." ... [span style='color: red;']was to bring into focus hisposition that the police are becoming too militarized.[/span]

[span style='font-weight: bold;'][span style='font-style: italic;']"Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them."[/span][/span] Do you dispute the racial disparities? Remember, he's trying to start a conversation with these people.
[span style='color: red;']You may see it that way and you may yet turn out to be right but i think you're just a little quick on the trigger.[/span]
[span style='font-weight: bold;'][span style='font-style: italic;']"Our prisons are full of black and brown men and women who are serving inappropriately long and harsh sentences for non-violent mistakes in their youth."[/span][/span]
- this is a classic liberal talking point  [span style='color: red;']It may be but the whole WOD thing is past its prime. It has done NOTHING to stem the availability, quality or even the price of drugs for those who want them. I would argue that between the WOD and the WOT, we have been robbed of more of our freedoms in persuit of these "wars" than any external foe could have taken from us and in the process, we have created a whole industry of warehousing people which, if it all shut its doors tomorrow, would have a significant impact on the GDP of the country. Can you imagine? A lot of us are tired of this. [/span]    

[span style='color: red;']You read a lot more into his statement than he actually said.[/span]

Take off the blinders and you'll see it, too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Again, what in the Hell are you talking about?

What does THIS mean:

"We now see that it makes no difference what we do. There is no pleasing you."  

"We"?

Who is this "we" you are speaking about?   I clearly and cogently explained why I am not satisfied with Rand Paul (R) as a presidential candidate.  What does that have to do with YOU or whoever this "we" might be?  

Bizarre politician worshippers.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't mind Marco Rubio.  But then he pushed for pseudo-amnesty.  Now I will no longer support him.  Period.

I liked and supported Rand Paul.  But then he pandered to the race pimps and provided moral support to victimhood cult that we see on display in Ferguson.  Now I will no longer support him.

It's nothing personal.  It's not about you.  Rand just demonstrated a quality that I find distasteful in a politician.
It IS funny to see so many people defending his pandering and the idea of "electability" and the ability to appeal to moderates.  

Like I said, I prefer Ted Cruz.  I think he's much better qualified and more intellectually honest.

Says one of the neo-cons I was speaking of.  We now see that it makes no difference what we do. There is no pleasing you.    

What does THIS mean:

"We"?

Who is this "we" you are speaking about?   I clearly and cogently explained why I am not satisfied with Rand Paul (R) as a presidential candidate.  What does that have to do with YOU or whoever this "we" might be?  

Oh, lord, what a laugh. This is just another manifestation of your irrational loathing of libertarians.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

We're going to have to disagree, as usual, about who is blind to what.

The real problem here IMO is that libertarians and a certain segment of conservatives see the world so fundamentally differently basic communication is difficult.

This perception you guys seem to have that libertarians are constantly trying to explain what we really mean is the result of a perception on our part that you have a severe problem with comprehension and mischaracterize everything.

And I don't expect that to change.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

- here, he is actively selling the bullshit narrative that poor Michael Brown was just gunned down for "smarting off" to a police officer.    He doesn't seem to leave any room for error there, or question whether perhaps Michael Brown was violent or attacked the officer - but has completely BOUGHT the bullshit story that Michael Brown didn't attack the officer, but just "smarted off" and was shot for it.  

- while he pays lip service earlier to how rioting and violence is wrong, this statement then waters that down, and suggests that perhaps there is some justification, since the "outrage" is apparently perfectly reasonable.  And WHY is the outrage so reasonable?  Because of the bullshit story of Michael Brown just being gunned down for "smarting off" that he has decided to peddle.

"Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them."

- this is a classic liberal talking point
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That editorial?

That's his crime?

lol

- here, he is actively selling the bullshit narrative that poor Michael Brown was just gunned down for "smarting off" to a police officer.    He doesn't seem to leave any room for error there, or question whether perhaps Michael Brown was violent or attacked the officer - but has completely BOUGHT the bullshit story that Michael Brown didn't attack the officer, but just "smarted off" and was shot for it.  

- while he pays lip service earlier to how rioting and violence is wrong, this statement then waters that down, and suggests that perhaps there is some justification, since the "outrage" is apparently perfectly reasonable.  And WHY is the outrage so reasonable?  Because of the bullshit story of Michael Brown just being gunned down for "smarting off" that he has decided to peddle.

- this is a classic liberal talking point
LOL.

The subject of the article is demilitarizing the police.

The subject of the article is not the shooting of the Gentle Giant or Ferguson.

He is making a much larger point than Ferguson, which you dismiss. This is the sort of out-of-context cherry picking we always deride the MSM for doing.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh, lord, what a laugh. This is just another manifestation of your irrational loathing of libertarians.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does THIS mean:

"We"?

Rand Paul is a loyal Republican.  Endorsed McConnell, Cochran and Romney.  Hadn't you heard?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]

These blinders have served me pretty well up till now. I think I'll just keep 'em.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I stopped following the Ferguson thread once the first one got locked. So I am pretty much out of the loop.

Did it come out that the video of Mike Brown stealing from the store was incorrect?

Was it confirmed that the officer was not punched in the face?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your whole argument that Rand "went with Al Sharpton" is predicated on his statement that he wouldn't expect to be shot for mouthing off.

It isn't known yet and may never be how he came to get shot, especially since the stories about him robbing a store and breaking the officers occipital both turned out to be wrong.

What is known is that his community does expect people to get shot for mouthing off, and I know that doesn't surprise me.

I tend to agree with you wording of the opening statement of the Time article was an error in judgment, especially before enough facts had come out, but I also remember the state of the story at that time, and understand the points he was trying to make, rather than the ones being attributed to him that would lead anyone to associate him with somebody like Sharpton.

I stopped following the Ferguson thread once the first one got locked. So I am pretty much out of the loop.

Did it come out that the video of Mike Brown stealing from the store was incorrect?

We don't know anything for sure.

The store didn't report a robbery and the clerk reportedly said none occurred

The officer didn't have any broken bones or severe head injury like what was reported, the pics that were reportedly him , weren't him.

Right now we have no facts about the shooting, but I don't think whether the shoot was good or not is particularly relevant to this particular discussion.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/546e232c6bb3f72954dac8f1-600-/rev.%20sharpton%20&%20senator%20rand%20paul%201.jpg

Paul's press secretary, Eleanor May, [said] the meeting with Sharpton is "another example of Sen. Paul's willingness to work across the aisle to solve our nation's problems."

Jesus, that hair.  

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well.....

His statements on Ferguson are clear as day, one can rationalize it all day long.  God forbid some other R made those statements....say a Romney and the same people defending and rationalizing them would be using them as ammunition for criticism, and rightly so.  We have some 'I stand with Rand no matter what derp comes out of his mouth' types here.

We don't need another Senator anyway, and after the lunacy that came out of him mouth on this and Voter ID....well he is dead to me as far as the primaries go. He is nothing but a naive useful idiot on social issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Rand Paul is a loyal Republican.  Endorsed McConnell, Cochran and Romney.  Hadn't you heard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does THIS mean:

"We"?

I never said he was not a loyal Republican. I made no comment in that post about Rand Paul at all. I was making the point that many libertarians find Rand Paul a palatable choice and that is probably why you must cut him down.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Jesus, that hair.  

His statements on Ferguson are clear as day, one can rationalize it all day long.  God forbid some other R made those statements....say a Romney and the same people defending and rationalizing them would be using them as ammunition for criticism, and rightly so.  We have some 'I stand with Rand no matter what derp comes out of his mouth' types here.

We don't need another Senator anyway, and after the lunacy that came out of him mouth on this and Voter ID....well he is dead to me as far as the primaries go. He is nothing but a naive useful idiot on social issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/546e232c6bb3f72954dac8f1-600-/rev.%20sharpton%20&%20senator%20rand%20paul%201.jpg

Jesus, that hair.  

Is this the blasphemy of which you speak?

“I’m not really opposed to [voter ID laws]. I am opposed to it as a campaign theme,” Paul told CBS’ Face the Nation host Bob Schieffer. “Republicans, if you want to get African American votes, they think that this is suppression somehow and it’s a terrible thing.”

Because if so...........your opinion on the subject no longer matters.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The officer didn't have any broken bones or severe head injury like what was reported, the pics that were reportedly him , weren't him.

Right now we have no facts about the shooting, but I don't think whether the shoot was good or not is particularly relevant to this particular discussion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your original assertion.....

"especially since the stories about him robbing a store and breaking the officers occipital both turned out to be wrong".

Has  somehow become:

"We don't know anything for sure"

To paraphrase ~Mark Twain~. "Always tell the truth so you don't have to remember what you said"

Oh and by the way, it's established fact that Brown's family was furious with the police for releasing the video of Brown and an accomplice perpetrating strong arm robbery in the store.

The same accomplice who was with him when he was shot by the police officer.

Oh yeah; Paulbots Part ll, The Sequel has already begun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

“I’m not really opposed to [voter ID laws]. I am opposed to it as a campaign theme,” Paul told CBS’ Face the Nation host Bob Schieffer. “Republicans, if you want to get African American votes, they think that this is suppression somehow and it’s a terrible thing.”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus, that hair.  

LOL, his clarifying remarks because he took so much heat on his original statements.  You guys should keep better track of what your hero says.  Voter ID is a very popular issue.  Just another stupid gaff by this guy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL, his clarifying remarks because he took so much heat on his original statements.  You guys should keep better track of what your hero says.  Voter ID is a very popular issue.  Just another stupid gaff by this guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus, that hair.  

Link?

ETA

I'm all for voter ID and if there's an R up there with a hair on his ass and a brain in his head after what POTUS did, there'll be a border security bill on O's desk 1st thing when they take the majority and the 1st funding bill would have BIG $ in it for oversight committees and DAMN little else till he signed it and he'd BEST not veto it or that SOB would be thumbing to his next vacation destination..

But if they want to win, it's best not to push something a serious % of minorities despise. It doesn't matter if it;s true or not.

Get in there, educate them, get it done without alienating them needlessly.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

Dave was so much better at that than you are.

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#40]
GD sure does a good job of demonstrating the GOP's consistent habit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Every possible candidate put forth could say something that would irritate a portion of the party, and next thing you know, they've been kicked to the curb until the only one left is a milquetoast worm like McCain. Then come election time, the wailing and gnashing of teeth begins.

"This is the best we could do?!"

"What happened to the GOP?!"

Guess what. You did it to yourselves. Because some part of the crowd got their panties in a twist over something that came from one of the real possibilities. The search for Mr. Perfect eliminated Mr. Good Enough.

As for those like Cruz and Walker. I like the message that Cruz brings to the legislature. And Walker did an awesome job manufacturing liberal tears in WI. But I have to be honest with myself and realize that neither have a solid chance at the presidency. Cruz has fostered something of a reputation as a blowhard and I think his most productive place is in the Senate (with Lee). Walker doesn't seem to be positioning himself for a run. Christie is just plain unelectable. And Cthulhu could win against Jeb Bush on name alone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Link?

ETA

I'm all for voter ID and if there's an R up there with a hair on his ass and a brain in his head after what POTUS did, there'll be a border security bill on O's desk 1st thing when they take the majority and the 1st funding bill would have BIG $ in it for oversight committees and DAMN little else till he signed it and he'd BEST not veto it or that SOB would be thumbing to his next vacation destination..

But if they want to win, it's best not to push something a serious % of minorities despise. It doesn't matter if it;s true or not.

View Quote

His original statement in a NYT's piece was: “Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” he told the paper at the time. “I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.”

He clarified by saying he is for Voter ID but doesn't want to make an issue of it.  What does that mean?  I am for it but not really for it?  This guy is now trying to straddle to many fences.  Voter ID is an incredibly popular issue with voters.  This is not his first instance of this.  I thought his appeal was that he was a principled guy, not a wishy washy Rubio type.  He is simply not ready for prime time IMO.

I will vote for him if he is the candidate, but not in the primary.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
GD sure does a good job of demonstrating the GOP's consistent habit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Every possible candidate put forth could say something that would irritate a portion of the party, and next thing you know, they've been kicked to the curb until the only one left is a milquetoast worm like McCain. Then come election time, the wailing and gnashing of teeth begins.

"This is the best we could do?!"

"What happened to the GOP?!"

Guess what. You did it to yourselves. Because some part of the crowd got their panties in a twist over something that came from one of the real possibilities. The search for Mr. Perfect eliminated Mr. Good Enough.

As for those like Cruz and Walker. I like the message that Cruz brings to the legislature. And Walker did an awesome job manufacturing liberal tears in WI. But I have to be honest with myself and realize that neither have a solid chance at the presidency. Cruz has fostered something of a reputation as a blowhard and I think his most productive place is in the Senate (with Lee). Walker doesn't seem to be positioning himself for a run. Christie is just plain unelectable. And Cthulhu could win against Jeb Bush on name alone.
View Quote

{ golf clap}    

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

His original statement in a NYT's piece was: “Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” he told the paper at the time. “I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.”

He clarified by saying he is for Voter ID but doesn't want to make an issue of it.  What does that mean?  I am for it but not really for it?  This guy is now trying to straddle to many fences.  Voter ID is an incredibly popular issue with voters.  This is not his first instance of this.  I thought his appeal was that he was a principled guy, not a wishy washy Rubio type.  He is simply not ready for prime time IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

ETA

Do you believe voter fraud has been a significant determinative factor in national elections? Because his statements pretty much reflect my feelings on the subject perfectly.

The integrity of the democratic process is really important and I favor voter ID, but Republicans have been nuts on the subject for a couple cycles now, blaming all their failures on anything but.

It makes us look bad and worse it interferes with our ability to do the kind of analysis we need to do to win elections.

Maybe that's where the disconnect is? Between those who think we need to do better and those who think the party is fine and it's outside influences?

I dunno, this just doesn't make any sense to me as a significant gripe.

I do agree Paul is running a real risk of being perceived as a flip-flopper or disingenuous, that's going to be true of any candidate trying to remain viable in the R primary and general though, let alone someone who leans libertarian. Politics is a contact sport, it's going to get messy. I just don't understand how anyone could equate giving him the benefit of the doubt when it does with doing the same for people with anti-gun and/or anti liberty tendencies though, completely different situation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

His original statement in a NYT's piece was: Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” he told the paper at the time. “I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.”[/span]

He clarified by saying he is for Voter ID but doesn't want to make an issue of it.  What does that mean?  I am for it but not [span style='font-style: italic;']really
for it?  This guy is now trying to straddle to many fences.  Voter ID is an incredibly popular issue with voters.  This is not his first instance of this.  I thought his appeal was that he was a principled guy, not a wishy washy Rubio type.  He is simply not ready for prime time IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

ETA

His original statement in a NYT's piece was: Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” he told the paper at the time. “I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.”[/span]

He clarified by saying he is for Voter ID but doesn't want to make an issue of it.  What does that mean?  I am for it but not [span style='font-style: italic;']really
for it?  This guy is now trying to straddle to many fences.  Voter ID is an incredibly popular issue with voters.  This is not his first instance of this.  I thought his appeal was that he was a principled guy, not a wishy washy Rubio type.  He is simply not ready for prime time IMO.

Is that not an accurate statement? How can a rational person interpret that an untruth or pander?

O.M.G. The man spoke teh TRUTH!  

You guys are your own worst enemies.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Have a nice day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Have a nice day.

"Snip"?

Sorry for documenting your patently false and intellectually dishonest assertions by use of your very own words.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do you believe voter fraud has been a significant determinative factor in national elections? Because his statements pretty much reflect my feelings on the subject perfectly.

The integrity of the democratic process is really important and I favor voter ID, but Republicans have been nuts on the subject for a couple cycles now, blaming all their failures on anything but.

I don't see the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

ETA

I don't see the problem.

I don't see it that way at all.  It is the Left that makes such an issue of it.  If one wants to buy into the Left's narrative, well don't be surprised when there is push back from your base.  Not to mention how he is now trying to straddle the position.  It makes him look weak and politically cynical, which he is as he has done this on other issues like immigration. There again he says he supports the R position but in speeches buys into the Left narrative of R's turning off Hispanics with “harsh rhetoric over immigration.”  Rand Paul wants it both ways, he doesn't know which way he is going at any given time, and he is politically naive.

The Democrats are already making political hay out of his many contradictions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is that not an accurate statement? How can a rational person interpret that an untruth or pander?

View Quote

No, it is not and you're your own worst enemy when you absorb and accept leftist talking points.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/206300-poll-70-percent-support-voter-id-laws

The survey found majority support in every major demographic, including black voters and Democrats
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"Snip"?

Sorry for documenting your patently false and intellectually dishonest assertions by use of your very own words.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Have a nice day.

"Snip"?

Nothing I said was false or dishonest. in both statements I said we don't know.

You're calling me a liar because you think you do.

I'm terribly hurt about it too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, it is not and you're your own worst enemy when you absorb and accept leftist talking points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

ETA

You mean liberal talking points like shitting on the best republican candidate in 2016.

Sorry couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't see it that way at all.  It is the Left that makes such an issue of it.  If one wants to buy into the Left's narrative, well don't be surprised when there is push back from your base.  Not to mention how he is now trying to straddle the position.  It makes him look weak and politically cynical, which he is as he has done this on other issues like immigration. There again he says he supports the R position but in speeches buys into the Left narrative of R's turning off Hispanics with “harsh rhetoric over immigration.”  Rand Paul wants it both ways, he doesn't know which way he is going at any given time, and he is politically naive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

ETA

I don't see the problem.

Funny. From where i stand (right beside Rand) it looks like they don't quite know what to think of him.

But a sizeable portion are listening. Hmmm.    
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top