Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/19/2014 11:50:15 AM EDT
Looks like some Libtards can be convinced to leave the Messiah.......  

Interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/im-a-liberal-democrat-im_b_6169542.html
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't want to be a wet blanket , but what I am getting from that primarily is that the author "likes" Rand Paul because of

(a) the hope that he'll be "libertarian" in being anti-war like his dad, and want to reduce military spending/involvement

(b) the hope that he will support "immigration reform" i.e. amnesty for all the illegals.

So I don't really think it's an example of a liberal "coming around" and supporting a republican.  
View Quote

This.

And his blatant pandering to the Ferguson street rioters also plays well to liberals.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
No wet blanket.  

The fact is, whatever candidate wins the white house in 16 is flat out guaranteed to have some common ground with the liberals.  The question is how much and on what issues.

Not wanting to get into wars is (last time I checked) a good thing.
I disagree with him on anything approaching amnesty, but If that's my biggest disagreement with him he's head and shoulders above Hillary.  

Is he a perfect candidate for me?  Nope.  For you?  Nope.  For the libtards?   Hell no.

Could he pull center votes though without fucking us in the ass on all the important parts of the platform though?  

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And his blatant pandering to the Ferguson street rioters also plays well to liberals.
View Quote

Since when is it a liberal thing to want accountability for police brutality?  Here in GD, that seems like a pretty common theme.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since when is it a liberal thing to want accountability for police brutality?  Here in GD, that seems like a pretty common theme.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brutality?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What brutality?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brutality?

You're right.  Cops never do wrong.  Nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The really partisan liberals are scared of Rand Paul, go read DU if you can stand it. The moderate Dems I know tend to like him and they're not really thrilled with Warren or Clinton.

If he has a flaw, it's that he learned the viability lesson his dad never did a little too well. He wants to be president and he's willing to play the game to get there.

I want him to be president too, and underneath the political realities I believe he's the best candidate we've had in 30 years or more.

I wish he had gotten into politics a little earlier, although I don't know that people were ready to hear him before 2010 anyway.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Rand Paul is an isolationist nutcase like his father was.

He will get the Larouche vote as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Prepare yourself for the onslaught of derp OP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brutality?

Rand Paul's pandering went far, far, beyond that.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rand+paul+panders+to+ferguson+rioters&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I made it about two paragraphs in and had to quit. Some people are just broken, unfortunately there are millions of them and they vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's funny that you say that, because Rand Paul was saying that we should roll in Iraq full force and crush the fuck out of the Islamic State, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Rand Paul or chrisp crispy?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's funny that you say that, because Rand Paul was saying that we should roll in Iraq full force and crush the fuck out of the Islamic State, if I remember correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly to protect our embassy and other US interests, as I recall.

He's also said that we shouldn't have ousted Saddam to begin with. His claim is that every time we've given a (more or less) secular dictator the ol' heave-ho, a hyper religious replacement government slides in, making things worse.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's also said that we shouldn't have ousted Saddam to begin with. His claim is that every time we've given a (more or less) secular dictator the ol' heave-ho, a hyper religious replacement government slides in, making things worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it is correct.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rand Paul supports Obama  while claiming "it's Bush's fault".

http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-has-put-rand-paul-in-a-very-difficult-position-2014-9

In June, Paul showed his libertarian streak in an interview on NBC's "Meet The Press" where he criticized to an op-ed written by former Republican Vice President Dick Cheney that said Obama's decision to withdraw US troops from Iraq helped ISIS grow in that country. Paul argued Obama was not at fault for the current chaos in Iraq. Instead, Paul laid blame for the ongoing violence there on the military operations in the country launched by the administration of Cheney and President George W. Bush. 

However, out of the other side of his mouth Rand Paul attacked Obama as well.

On September 4, Paul responded to Obama's plans to combat ISIS with an op-ed in Time magazine where he attempted to dismiss the critique he is an "isolationist." In that piece, Paul also attacked Obama for what he described as a "dereliction of duty" by not more aggressively attacking ISIS in Iraq sooner. 

"Our recent foreign policy has allowed radical jihadists to proliferate. Today, there are more terrorists groups than there were before 9/11, most notably ISIS," Paul wrote. "After all the sacrifice in Afghanistan and Iraq, why do we find ourselves in a more dangerous world? And why, after six years, does President Obama lack a strategy to deal with threats like ISIS?"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-has-put-rand-paul-in-a-very-difficult-position-2014-9#ixzz3JXAwbxZB

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No wet blanket.  
The fact is, whatever candidate wins the white house in 16 is flat out guaranteed to have some common ground with the liberals.  The question is how much and on what issues.

I disagree with him on anything approaching amnesty, but If that's my biggest disagreement with him he's head and shoulders above Hillary.  
Is he a perfect candidate for me?  Nope.  For you?  Nope.  For the libtards?   Hell no.

Could he pull center votes though without fucking us in the ass on all the important parts of the platform though?  
Yep.
View Quote

oh look... support of someone who can attract those in the center... someone with moderate views... you mean, like a rino?

still 2 years before the election, and a certain group of people now want to push the center/moderate line OVER CONSERVATIVES?

edit - I guess this group of people now want us to stop supporting conservatives and the conservative viewpoint now.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
snip
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Rand Paul is perfect because nobody is happy with him. Liberals, Republicans, Conservatives, Democrats doesnt' matter, everybody can find something they don't like about him.

On the flip side everybody can find something they like about him as well.

That's called compromise folks, Paul would protect the stuff that actually matters civil liberties and our Constituition. Vote for whomever you want but Paul is a great choice for our country. Unless you're really itching to start popping Pmags.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#23]
You liberaltarians do realize he is pro-life right? Doesnt that make him to much of a "bible-thumper" for you?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You liberaltarians do realize he is pro-life right? Doesnt that make him to much of a "bible-thumper" for you?
View Quote

Not a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brutality?

You must not ever read my posts in cop threads.  I'll be the first one to let you know when I think cops are bad (so much so, the site staff loves to delete my posts).
However, I don't think there was police brutality in Ferguson.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

libertarianism is silent on the issue of when personhood begins.

I respect a wide range of views on that subject, because although I consider the act of abortion abhorrent I think enforcement presents significant problems.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can be pro life without feeling the need to let government dictate public policy on the matter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the ways I differ from a typical "liberaltarian," I believe it is the taking of a life: ie murder.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I respect a wide range of views on that subject, because although I consider the act of abortion abhorrent I think enforcement presents significant problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and there are flat out, full on unapologetic atheists on this site (BustinCaps and VTHOKIESHOOTER come to mind) that are pro-life.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats because you are a common sense libertarian. There are others on here who are liberals with guns that claim to be liber(al)tarians. Im not going to name names but start a Sarvis Va Governor or Va senate thread and they come out in force.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like some Libtards can be convinced to leave the Messiah.......  

Interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/im-a-liberal-democrat-im_b_6169542.html
View Quote

They are just giving him good press no so they can turn on him when it will pay them the biggest dividends come 2016. Pysch-ops.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. It's not preferred, but it's not a deal breaker either. The day that abortion, and gay marriage are the most important issues in the US is the day I will sleep like a fucking baby. It also helps that there are SCOTUS decisions stating that the banning of both is unconstitutional.

Rand Paul is a RINO. But he's not the worst we could do, by far. He's a freedom loving capitalist, who is fond of guns. He'll do right by me, I imagine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No wet blanket.  

Yep.
View Quote

Kinda agree with this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#34]
God forbid a conservative do what it takes to get elected president in this country.

Name me a more pro-gun presidential hopeful right now. By the way that is Rand Paul in my avatar picture, shooting an AR-15 at Knob Creek.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

One of the ways I differ from a typical "liberaltarian," I believe it is the taking of a life: ie murder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will be blunt I want abortion clinics in every fast food joint in america on every street corner in schools or where ever else it is easy to access. Why? Because I would rather have some liberal bitch kill her child in her womb than raise it with her beliefs. Then that will be an enemy on future battlefield America that we have to fight. So I am a staunch conservative but at this point in time abortion is our best friend. Sad to say but true.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't matter to me.

This "liberaltarian" voted basically straight R this last election.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Then you aren't a "liberaltarian."  They sat out or "voted their conscience" and wrote in Gary Johnson in every spot on the ballot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter to me.

This "liberaltarian" voted basically straight R this last election.

Then you aren't a "liberaltarian."  They sat out or "voted their conscience" and wrote in Gary Johnson in every spot on the ballot.  

I voted for a Democrat for the State Board of Education, because my district's incumbent (a Republican) is fucking looney tunes.

She won re-election anyway. Ah, well.

It was straight (R) otherwise (including non-partisan offices - it ain't hard to figure out in 30 minutes or so while researching candidates).
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sure, but the problem is that nobody wins with the center votes.  They win by being able to solidly deliver the base AND get enough of the center votes.

Rand's issue is that his views on immigration, and being too close to his dad's anti-war stance, will mean that he cannot survive the Republican primaries, nor could he deliver the base if he did become the candidate.

That's what makes it so damn hard for Republicans these days - being able to reliably get the base behind you makes it hard to get the independents/moderates in the center.

In some ways, the inevitable legalization of gay marriage and marijuana will HELP Republicans enormously, because soon, the base will realize those are lost issues (and grudgingly accept that those battles are lost), and Republican candidates don't need to make a big deal about it during the primaries, and thus won't turn off the center.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Sure, but the problem is that nobody wins with the center votes.  They win by being able to solidly deliver the base AND get enough of the center votes.

Rand's issue is that his views on immigration, and being too close to his dad's anti-war stance, will mean that he cannot survive the Republican primaries, nor could he deliver the base if he did become the candidate.

That's what makes it so damn hard for Republicans these days - being able to reliably get the base behind you makes it hard to get the independents/moderates in the center.

In some ways, the inevitable legalization of gay marriage and marijuana will HELP Republicans enormously, because soon, the base will realize those are lost issues (and grudgingly accept that those battles are lost), and Republican candidates don't need to make a big deal about it during the primaries, and thus won't turn off the center.  

I won't argue much on his ability to survive the primaries based on the popularity of his positions.  

I'm banking on the fact that there are movers and shakers in any party that shape the debate and the terms under which the primaries happen.  

Based on what they did TO Ron Paul and in favor of Romney, etc, I'm operating on the hypothesis that the approval of the mover shaker types is powerful enough to sway people to choose the one that will win despite having a disagreement or two.  

Let's face it, the GOP nominated tax and spend gun grabbers and socialized medicine types the last two times.  No reason they couldn't get the base to approve whatever they wanted it to approve if they decided that was the way to go.

Trust Hillary to motivate the GOP base.  She'll do it way better than the GOP ever could.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you have to admit he's probably right about Iraq.  This said by a guy who spent 4 years over there.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

oh look... support of someone who can attract those in the center... someone with moderate views... you mean, like a rino?

http://i58.tinypic.com/2u77f4m.jpg

still 2 years before the election, and a certain group of people now want to push the center/moderate line OVER CONSERVATIVES?

edit - I guess this group of people now want us to stop supporting conservatives and the conservative viewpoint now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No wet blanket.  

Yep.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2u77f4m.jpg

We should get something straight.  

There are three  definitions of RINO being used.  

Definition 1.  GOP candidates who side with the Democrats on fiscal issues.  (Pinko tax and spend types)
Definition 2.  GOP candidates who side with the Democrats on social issues.  (Nanny state gun grabber types)
Definition 3.  GOP candidates who fail to march in lock step right off a fucking cliff with the party as it self immolates on the altar of social authoritarianism.  (Rand Paul types)

It sounds like you're using definition 3.  

I prefer to like candidates who break step where individual freedom is increased by breaking step.  

In fact, nominating one is pretty much the only way the GOP will ever get me back, and I'm FAR from alone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
It's not about Obama so much, it's about Hillary. Most liberals are on the bandwagon but a significant portion are not happy with her impending nomination. She voted for the Iraq War and is a big supporter of the NSA spying programs, while at the same time you have Rand Paul who is a big departure from the disaster that was Bush/Cheney so in this situation there might be a lot of crossover.

Quoted:

View Quote

If you like the way US foreign policy has been going for the past decade then Hillary Clinton is probably a better choice for you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like I said, I don't agree with everything he says.  I can live with that position though if it gets me an electable pro gun pro free market pro individual liberty president.

HELL yeah I'll suffer a pro life president to get that.  It's not like he's gonna single handedly overturn RvW.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Like I said, I don't agree with everything he says.  I can live with that position though if it gets me an electable pro gun pro free market pro individual liberty president.

HELL yeah I'll suffer a pro life president to get that.  It's not like he's gonna single handedly overturn RvW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's moot for me, because Roe v. Wade is going NOWHERE. It's a settled issue. Done. If Reagan (and two Bushes) couldn't do shit about it, it's done. And support for it's overturning has only declined in the years since.

My only advice to Rand would be to:

1. NOT make it a campaign issue (and I think he knows this)
2. If asked (they always ask Republicans in debates and on the cable news circuit), acknowledge the reality that the decision is never going to be overturned, that it's time to move on, and that he as President can do next to nothing about it. He can do this while saying he's pro-life.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like Rand actually stands a really great chance of winning a general election. The GOP better hurry up and start building support for a John McCain or Lindsay Graham primary run before it's too late.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Who are the alternatives at this point, do we think?  Ben Carson?  Rick Santorum?  Mitt Romney again?  Jeb Bush?  Gary Johnson again?  New Jersey's Eric Cartman?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Who are the alternatives at this point, do we think?  Ben Carson?  Rick Santorum?  Mitt Romney again?  Jeb Bush?  Gary Johnson again?  New Jersey's Eric Cartman?
View Quote

I'm expecting the primary to come down to Rand and Jeb.

Hopefully lots of people run but nobody who'll pull votes from Rand.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I will be blunt I want abortion clinics in every fast food joint in america on every street corner in schools or where ever else it is easy to access. Why? Because I would rather have some liberal bitch kill her child in her womb than raise it with her beliefs. Then that will be an enemy on future battlefield America that we have to fight. So I am a staunch conservative but at this point in time abortion is our best friend. Sad to say but true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel the same way, and hate myself for it.
Thats why its not really an issue for me anymore. I just brought it up to see who would take the bait.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Every time someone tries, ARFCOM savages them for being a RINO and a sell-out, and refuses to support them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God forbid a conservative do what it takes to get elected president in this country.

Every time someone tries, ARFCOM savages them for being a RINO and a sell-out, and refuses to support them.

Whether or not a particular ARFCOM ideology savages a political candidate depends on whether or not the canditate's name ends with Paul.

In which case,  the libertarian crowd suddenly decides that in the case of a Paul; they no longer need to remain ideological purists.

Anyone else they disparage with the sobriquet of RINO.

Neither of the Pauls is ideologically a conservative which is why they appeal so strongly  to liberals, college kids, and the 99 percenters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top