Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 9:02:05 PM EDT
This was really pretty good, covers alot of the lesser-known people that made the moon landings possible.  About two hours between part I and part II, but really very little struck me as boring.

Link

They did all those landing between '69 and '72, and then never again.

(And yes, I know, the lunar landings were all really done on a big sound stage )
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It really is worth watching, gentlemen.  They even have an in-depth of the Gemini disaster at about 34:00, where the crew were all killed b/c they had them in a pressurized, pure O2 atmosphere, and a fire started inside the sealed-shut capsule.  Somehow I thot it was the Rooooooooskies that had done that and killed a cosmonaut or two, as it certainly seems like something only they would do, not caring about individuals being killed so long as the glorious Motherland went on.

What the fuck were we doing fucking around with pure oxygen?  Did they think the weight savings of not launching all that excess, useless nitrogen in the air tanks was worth the risk of burning our guys alive?  Well, they say aviation regs are written in blood, it sure taught us not to do that again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked for Rocketdyne at Edwards 64-66. Crawled all over those engines and saw them run in test stands many times.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It really is worth watching, gentlemen.  They even have an in-depth of the Gemini disaster at about 34:00, where the crew were all killed b/c they had them in a pressurized, pure O2 atmosphere, and a fire started inside the sealed-shut capsule.  Somehow I thot it was the Rooooooooskies that had done that and killed a cosmonaut or two, as it certainly seems like something only they would do, not caring about individuals being killed so long as the glorious Motherland went on.

What the fuck were we doing fucking around with pure oxygen?  Did they think the weight savings of not launching all that excess, useless nitrogen in the air tanks was worth the risk of burning our guys alive?  Well, they say aviation regs are written in blood, it sure taught us not to do that again.
View Quote

Apollo 1 not Gemini.

That was fantastic. Just watched both vids. I'll never tire of that subject.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I worked for Rocketdyne at Edwards 64-66. Crawled all over those engines and saw them run in test stands many times.
View Quote

Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Apollo 1 not Gemini.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apollo 1 not Gemini.

*shrug* They said it was Gemini, but whatevs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apollo 1 not Gemini.

Gemeni was a precursor to Apollo. Things like extended spaceflights and docking maneuvers were tested with that program as they would be essential for Apollo.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apollo 1 not Gemini.

If the documentary fucks that up, I'd be a bit leery about anything else it says.
That's a major mistake there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the documentary fucks that up, I'd be a bit leery about anything else it says.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apollo 1 not Gemini.

I have to agree with that. Anything that calls itself "scholarly television" or "documentary" and then confuses the Apollo 1 Disaster with anything that happened in Gemini is highly suspect.

It's as bad as that recent History Channel "documentary" called The World Wars (2014), that had Austrian and German troops jumping out of the trenches carrying British Lee-Enfield rifles. Hell, I think they even had the Russians using Lee-Enfields and the Americans sporting Mosin-Nagant rifles. That is an obvious mistake that is close to the level of confusing something that has become common knowledge. Same with this Apollo 1 mistake. It's that bad if not worse.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched the relevant part.  The show got it right. It is not bad (for the 10 minutes I watched).
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I watched the relevant part.  The show got it right. It is not bad (for the 10 minutes I watched).
View Quote

Ooops, my bad then.  Sorry, everyone.

Still & all, tho, what the fuck WERE we doing, farting around with pure O2?  These were not stupid men; they knew how dangerous it was.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Still & all, tho, what the fuck WERE we doing, farting around with pure O2?  These were not stupid men; they knew how dangerous it was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in the day attitude - Fuck it man lets get it done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, we used pure oxygen because the partial pressure was low enough to let a pressure suit work well.  And it was the Apollo 204 test on January 27, 1967.

We used pure oxygen until the shuttle. Although after the fire ground tests used a mix. It takes a while for the nitrogen to get out of your body before you can depressurize to 3.5 lbs.sqin of pure O2.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I was referring to what several of the astronauts themselves described as "Go fever".
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Regarding your comment on aviation rules being writtein in blood...

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Good watch, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]
What about NASA's critical role of Muslim outreach--how is that coming along?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
tag to watch later
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Cool videos, got to watch Part I tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top