Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2001 8:35:45 PM EDT
We are getting Glock 23 40 S&W soon.
Trading in our SIG P226 9mm. I'm fairly familiar with the SIG and have no experience with the Glock.
Is this going to be a step forward or backward?
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Im a 1911 guy so in my opinion you are steping back rather have the sig over the glock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure. So many people really brag on their Glocks. Lots of them out there too.
I'm not really looking forward to the transition.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, I usually carry a G23 these days....a 1911 before...

The G has the WORST trigger I have ever seen in ANY firearm...feels like plastic mush... I have had all the trigger work done, still CRAP...it also shoots worse than my 1911 to me...

I STILL CHOOSE it for two reasons, MAJOR firepower increase AND that SOB is dependable BIG TIME.....

my .02...
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
MDS-

Good show on the Glocks.  I've shot most things there are to shoot and I really like them. Mainly for their durability.  Some people have days to clean their guns and don't take them out in the crap conditions we cops do every day(rain, hot, cold, water, humidity, etc.).  The last thing I want to do when I get home from a real rainy or bad day is clean my gun which I have to do with other guns.  Mags on other guns get rusty fast, not with Glocks.  My 92F on my hip right now needs a good cleaning for instance, and I am pretty anal about it!  How some other peoples guns function is beyond me after seeing some of the 92 mags that don't get constant attention.

Before you guys start rippin on me for not attending to my life-saving 92 that I must carry with my department... it's just the mag that's got a little rust on it![:)]

Almost no agencies in the nation let cops carry a single action pistol ala the 1911.  The training required to use one good in combat is too much for agencies to do.  It's a liability concern.

I bring the Glock everywhere- camping, to the mall (against policy), you name it.  Like CavVet says... it is DEPENDABLE.

My sister city (St. Paul) was the first agency in the country to go to them.  Since then I don't have to tell you THOUSANDS have and there is a reason, or lots of them, for it.

The fact that the mags are also interchangable are slick.  I carrry a Glock 23 mag in my mini-Glock 27.

Let me know if you need any help with the transition.  Many Glock accessories (holsters, etc.) will be on my site in the near future.

Good Luck-

Ryan
www.bluelinegear.com
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a question for the LEO's out there.(Or any one else with an opinion) You say that most departments will not allow their personel to carry a 1911 because of the training it would require to operate profeciently(sp?) in a combat situation. My question is do we really want people that are not "high speed" enough to operate a 1911 choosing a weapon because it is "easy" to shoot. Is that why those cops in New York shot that guy 41 times a year or so ago? because it was "easy"? Don't get me wrong I have the utmost respect for most LEO's my father is an ex-cop, but damn, I don't want someone out there that ignorant trying to protect and serve.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a brand new UNCLE MIKES holster for a glock for sale. $40.00 will get it. It is the level III for BDU type uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock is a good duty weapon.

Simple parts, easy to find parts, durable, reliable, accurate etc.. and they are cheap compared to Sig's.

So they didn't go with a better gun, they went with a gun that was easy to work on and cheap.

IMHO

Sig's are expensive like my H&K. But the same reason why they don't issue $800 H&K USP's is the same reason why they don't issue The Highway Patrol 300 grand Ferrari's

Glocks are good, but there are better.

I like my H&K USP .45

-Frank the Spank

P.S  I hope you are one of the few that was born with a hand that fits the new frames with the finger grooves... reason why I don't own a Glock yet. Looking to find a used old stype Glock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good information here. Thank you all.
Just a little queasy about the transition. I had SIGs before we were issued them. I'm sure the Glock will work out.
I have a good friend that is a Glock armorer with his department. He says that they are the greatest thing going. I'll see soon enough, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a G19 I bought 7 years ago. The performance and the dependability of this pistol is beyond beleif, I think it wise to go to better sights as the Glock sights are quite fragile and I switched to a lighter trigger spring which gave me a trigger I was very comfortable with. For me the transition to a Glock (from anything) was easy because the Glock is very simple to operate and it is a very fast pistol, BUT I never felt comfortable holstering this pistol with a round chambered so I switched to a 96FS, now the transition from the Glock to the Beretta has been somewhat difficult for me, It took a lot of practice to become effective with the first(double action) shot and it seems to require a lot of practice to shoot fast, many times out of frustration I was close to switching to a 1911 but realized as bad as I shoot they didn't hold near enough bullets and I probably wouldn't spend the time required to become profficient with it.
As for the Glocks I really like them and I think it's probably a step in another direction.
As for the Baretta I'm comfortable with it.
As for a 1911 I'm going to love it.
Good Luck with your Glock I think You"ll really like it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Besides, nothing shoots "gangsta style" like a Glock.
Hey CavVet, my 29 round Glock mag came in today.
I think I may have to head back down south to the pit to do a little shooting with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Clear,

I wanna see a 29 in use....

Did u get the gangsta sights yet?????

I need GOOD range day, but my sister is gettin hitched this weekend....

Maybe next weekend for me.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top