Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2014 3:31:15 PM EDT

Here is a pic of one flying over my house last year.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/11/06/new-hawkeye-aircraft-is-us-navys-digital-quarterback/?intcmp=features

The newest, most advanced Hawkeye aircraft, has achieved initial operational capability, significantly boosting the U.S. Navy’s battlefield communications.

Northrop Grumman's E-2D Advanced Hawkeye provides the Navy fleet with next-generation eyes. It can help manage missions, keep carrier battle groups out of harm’s way, and sweep ahead of a strike.

Dubbed "the digital quarterback,” the Hawkeye E-2D gives warfighters even better awareness in the battle space and boosts airborne battle management.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope these are newly built airframes and not refurbished ones from the 60's and 70's
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Nicknamed the "Tony Romo" ?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine used to fly those off the carriers...loved it when they got the new ones...that scimitar blade on the same turboprop picked up something like 750SHP per side...just with a blade change...he said it completely changed the aircraft...now when they fly over my house that sound like a couple of WWII fighters in formation...fast too...not jet fast but screaming for a TP as big as it is...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I like this youtube of an E-3 squadron

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always wondered how much difference those new blades made. That's quite the difference.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool.

Now build some new C-2 airframes and bring on the GAU-22s.  Carrier-borne gunship support, bitches!!!!

AC-2E Hellhound FTMFW!!!

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, an E-3 Sentry squadron on a carrier?

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaWdkdFb3Y

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-3, E-2, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Still haven't seen anything about whether these will be new airframes that'll last 30 years or if they're built off the 30 year old airframes
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Still haven't seen anything about whether these will be new airframes that'll last 30 years or if they're built off the 30 year old airframes
View Quote

They are new jets.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are new jets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are new jets.

Built down the road from me in St. Augustine, FL.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hope these are newly built airframes and not refurbished ones from the 60's and 70's
View Quote

All brand new.  VAW-125 with CVW-1/CSG-12 is the first deploying squadron, in spring of 2015
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
2D? When I worked for a defense subcontractor it was 2C. Northrop has finally moved their Long Island program to Melbourne, FL along with some employees from up here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine you'd need 200kts over the deck to launch it.  Recovery's going to be bitch, though!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2D? When I worked for a defense subcontractor it was 2C. Northrop has finally moved their Long Island program to Melbourne, FL along with some employees from up here.
View Quote

That's because it's new.  Rotating phased array radar, the co-pilot is an auxiliary controller, new engines, cooling, data links, etc - it's a great upgrade to the 2C.  Eventually it will get in-flight refueling as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's because it's new.  Rotating phased array radar, the co-pilot is an auxiliary controller, new engines, cooling, data links, etc - it's a great upgrade to the 2C.  Eventually it will get in-flight refueling as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it have a glass cockpit?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All brand new.  VAW-125 with CVW-1/CSG-12 is the first deploying squadron, in spring of 2015
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top