Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 3:21:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: So, both insurance companies state it's the other persons fault.

I have two options:
The first one is to go through state farm to pay for my damages, work with them directly.  The second choice is to open a claim with Amica (my insurance company), they pay my damages and then  ask state farm to reimburse Amica.

Any opinons?

I've been around a while...haven't been in accident for years.
Son had an old boy pull out in front of him (should be old boys fault) doing about 45...
My old 2000 Camry is not in good condition.

He will do accident report, do we notify our insurance company first and let them deal with it?
Have all other info. Pic to follow

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Call their insurance company and deal with them. Hopefully they play nice.

Call your insurance company and let them know what is going on and incase they don't play nice.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I would always notify my insurance company.  My insurance company may not have a duty to defend or indemnify me if I do not report an accident, and if that failure resulted in prejudice to them.  Most companies have a minimum payout to be considered a chargeable accident.  It may be as little as $100, or as much as $750.  If my insurance company does not pay out that amount, it will not affect my rates.  I would call my agent and listen to what he had to say.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
In my estimate, the damage is well above the state DMV reporting limit of $1500 (no injuries).
I drove the car home about 20 miles as my son was a little shaken to do so...that and he thought it might explode...

Look like the rad was fine, no overheating, but the alternator took it (among other things)...batt light on the whole time.

Will probably call our insurance and see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you get a police report?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Does your state not have a police notification for the accident?

Did you guys exchange information?

Is OR an at-fault state?

No police report?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Call and notify your insurance let them deal with it.
also when other persons insurance calls... do not talk with them. Especially if there is injury or any dispute as to fault. They will use it against you. Bottom line just don't talk to them. Due to the age of your vehicle they will( insurance) make it a total loss
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I call the other guys insurance company and notify them.

I also notify my company if I find that the other insurance company isn't going to be easy to work with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd call my agent, pay my deductible, get my car fixed, and let them subrogate the claim and my deductible against the other party's insurance. I've done this (too) many times. I'd rather deal with my agent/company and besides what the hell am I paying them for? No premium increases from this approach in my experience so long as I didn't cause the accident.

Brian

Edit...I'm sure from the picture that it will buff out. ;-)
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh the joys of parenthood...or failure

Drove home the car, boy drove my brand new Tacoma home...I ask, "show me all the contact details".
He states, "I took pictures of the cars, insurance card, license, but my SD card is having issues. I can't find the pictures"

I told him to get a fucking haircut and figure it out before I get back home from work. For fucks sakes....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Report to your insurance and provide them with all of the other parties info then let them take care of it from there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you get a police report?
View Quote

No police, no injuries. He will fill out an accident report as required by Oregon law (+$1500 damage).
The other driver was about 75-years-old and going out in an older S10 to get his mail. Just pulled right out in front of my kid.

We will contact our insurance and see how they want us to proceed. Looks to me like that old 2000 Camry might be done with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Did your son call the police and have them do a report?

If he didn't, he failed.

Just saw the above post. DOH!!!!!!!

Welcome to your newly raised insurance rates.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
if don't think you're at fault and can wait for the accident to be investigated by the other carrier, then don't tell your insurance company.  if the car is totaled, the only thing I would tell them is that I wanted it removed from the policy on X date because it was totaled in an accident.

however, if it were me.  i'd let my insurance handle it and let them determine if they wanted to subrogate the other carrier  if you aren't at fault, it shouldn't affect the policy.

basing this on my experience of being an insurance adjuster for the last 5 years.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Son rear-ended "old boy" = son's fault.  Call your insurer, notify them of loss and let them pay old boy's damages, move on with your life.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Report to your insurance and provide them with all of the other parties info then let them take care of it from there.
View Quote

This.

Last accident I had wasn't my fault, some lady rear ended me at a light.  My insurance told me that I could deal with her insurance company, or they could cut me a check and then they will deal with the other company for me.  I just took the check and never heard about it again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Son rear-ended "old boy" = son's fault.  Call your insurer, notify them of loss and let them pay old boy's damages, move on with your life.

View Quote

Where'd you read that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]

buff it out.

you need a new signal.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
It may well have been exactly like you said but its failure to control speed.  Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It may well have been exactly like you said but its failure to control speed.  Probably not what you wanted to hear.
View Quote

If you're traveling down a 2-lane road and someone pulls out in front of you when you're 10' away, it's not your failure.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.280
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where'd you read that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where'd you read that?

inferred it from his detailed description
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll stick by my sons story until proven otherwise...

Meanwhile, the old fucks wife called my insurance company because "that's what her insurance company said to do".
Told my son to call their company and do the same. And, I told him to get a haircut...

We talked to ours, they are coming out next week to see ours.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll stick by my sons story until proven otherwise...

Meanwhile, the old fucks wife called my insurance company because "that's what her insurance company said to do".
Told my son to call their company and do the same. And, I told him to get a haircut...

We talked to ours, they are coming out next week to see ours.
View Quote

Yeah, they likely are already claiming it's your kids fault and his insurance company is already figuring they have found a way to avoid a payout.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Every time. The world is full of shit bags now and ask the officer if he is injured and to note it in his report. You think the FSA stops at Dindu?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#26]

nice
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#27]
updated OP with options from my insurance company...

I have two options:
The first one is to go through state farm to pay for my damages, work with them directly. The second choice is to open a claim with Amica (my insurance company), they pay my damages and then ask state farm to reimburse Amica.

Any opinions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top