Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
this

"We have one confirmed fatality and one survivor," Pruitt told
Space.com. "The survivor was able to eject from the aircraft. He was
located near one of the debris fields."
View Quote

from http://www.space.com/27618-virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-crash-kills-pilot.html

seems to indicate only one managed to exit the craft.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Commercial spaceflight takes more risks than NASA,

View Quote

It sure does.  That happens when your rockets have people aboard.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Condolences for the families . Being a pioneer in space travel is a dangerous job . . . .but Id be first in line if I had a prayer of riding one

Quoted:

I hope that everything turns out alright for the crew.  Branson took a big risk going with Scaled Composites to build his craft.  I wouldn't trust Burt Rutan's company to properly build a lego set.  I have worked on programs in the past where Scaled Composites tried to participate and I will say the following; their engineering methods leave far too much to chance and their cavalier attitudes to things like safety margins and structural soundness are to be avoided.
View Quote
DAMN!!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No ejection seats.  
View Quote

Considering the weight, probable ejection envelope, and things like that, I can see how ejection seats wouldn't make it into the design.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wonder how long the debris field is.

The area there comprises part of China lake, part kf a recreational offroad area, honda test track, inyokern, ridgecrest, and a major highway.
View Quote

I'm curious as well.  I've been out that way for recreational purposes.  One of my favourite shooting spots is just south of that area and if I were out there I'd probably be in range to see some part of the incident.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guarentee you It was an issue with that fucking hybrid motor.
View Quote

What's wrong with the motor? It looks pretty simple.

Disclaimer: I'm not a rocket scientist, nor do I play one on the internet.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Probably.  But it's not like we haven't had issues with more conventional liquid and solid fueled motors.  It's the nature of the beast when dealing with this amount of chemical energy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.  But it's not like we haven't had issues with more conventional liquid and solid fueled motors.  It's the nature of the beast when dealing with this amount of chemical energy.

And it aint like we can buy ratty surplus soviet engines forever.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

SS2 is a bad design, always has been because hybrids suck.

Xcor is doing it right IMO.
View Quote
I look at that and wonder if they could have come up with something more traditional which would get the same performance and safety or better. The system as a whole appears fragile to me. I know of at least one person who would not fly in that. Not saying that the design is at fault in any way, just that it is odd.

Rip to the crewmember who lost his life.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't they testbed the hell out of those things?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I doubt it...

Branson is the type of innovator who will continue to spend money because he is a vision guy. He's not going to ditch the program because of a setback. He will put more money into it and achieve the goal he set of commercial space flight.

We need more people, like Branson, willing to push the envelope and innovate if we are going to continue our exploration of the universe. We can't do it off the back of government alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks. The article said they had switched propellants for the rocket, wonder if that had anything to do with it.  That's gonna set the paying passenger flights waaaaay back.

This probably ended the program.

I doubt it...

Branson is the type of innovator who will continue to spend money because he is a vision guy. He's not going to ditch the program because of a setback. He will put more money into it and achieve the goal he set of commercial space flight.

We need more people, like Branson, willing to push the envelope and innovate if we are going to continue our exploration of the universe. We can't do it off the back of government alone.

Branson is a dreamer, not an engineer.  The whole virgin galactic project is patently ridiculous.  Calling a flight to the edge of space for 30 seconds "space flight" is just stupid.  The energy needed to achieve even a single orbit is at least ten times what the kludged together rutan specials are making.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They said the motor was tested successfully several times on the ground.  I believe this was the first test flight.
The reporters were saying something about them changing the formulation.

If I remember right they lost a guy during a ground test a few years ago also.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, I salute the crew.  

Can you imagine the guts it took to test fly an experimental aircraft like that?  

I was career USAF and I know how many test pilots we lost at Edwards AFB and Area 51 over the years.  There is a reason they called the F-117 stealth fighter the "wobbly goblin."  

Those guys had a giant pair and never knew exactly what each flight would end up presenting as far as aircraft performance challenges.  

So, will this be the end of the commercial "civilians into space" program?

Well, it was a neat idea while it lasted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, I salute the crew.  

Can you imagine the guts it took to test fly an experimental aircraft like that?  

I was career USAF and I know how many test pilots we lost at Edwards AFB and Area 51 over the years.  There is a reason they called the F-117 stealth fighter the "wobbly goblin."  

Those guys had a giant pair and never knew exactly what each flight would end up presenting as far as aircraft performance challenges.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#20]
is there video of the flight?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Flying has been killing people since long before the Wright brothers . New technology is not without risk. The pilots damn sure knew what they were doing . Prayers to the families
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Does Virgin have the $175 million to refund those 700 people who put out $250k each?

Was it really 700?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, taken by the mother ship, but I don't think releasing it is in Branson's interests.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just about to ask the same thing.

If there is and it belongs to Virgin Galactic I would imagine that they would have to turn it over to the FAA.

I doubt they would put it up on their website due to bad publicity and whatnot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, I salute the crew.  

View Quote

I don't think they ever called the F-117 the Wobblin Goblin. I think that was its predecessor, Have Blue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would bet money on it.
But I doubt Scaled Composites or Virgin Galactic would release their video.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#27]
RIP to the co-pilot. That is a real shame and another blow to our newest space efforts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sorry for the pilots, but glad this will hurt Branson's business. Fuck that guy.

http://i.imgur.com/E4HbZ1q.jpg    
View Quote

Lets see so far Branson has killed 1 person and the NRA has killed----> 0.

Branson killed one person so he can charge people $250k each to travel to space for a few minutes. NRA hasn't killed anyone for profit.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I would bet money on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would bet money on it.

They will never release something they want to charge people $250k to ride on.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't know if someone already said this, but John Batchelor show has been covering this for awhile now.  About a month ago, he had his space guy on who said that Virgin Galactic was being funded by oil barons, and that they had demanded results by the end of the year.  And not only that, that they had demanded that Branson HIMSELF and his family fly on the first commercial flight.  If not, they were going to pull funding, which would effectively kill the project.

So basically they were rushing to get something going that wasn't anywhere near ready.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In theory.  In practice, they have bad delamination issues and bad resonance issues.  When soilds fail, it is almost never benignly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.space.com/images/i/000/028/452/original/virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-hybrid-rocket-motor.jpg?1367161537

In theory.  In practice, they have bad delamination issues and bad resonance issues.  When soilds fail, it is almost never benignly.

In practice, liquid fueled engines not named RD-107 or Atlas aren't very reliable either when you look at the launch numbers.
LF rocket engines are so complex that unless they are mass produced after a long test period to get costs down and reliability up, they are losers.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Branson killed one person so he can charge people $250k each to travel to space for a few minutes. NRA hasn't killed anyone for profit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry for the pilots, but glad this will hurt Branson's business. Fuck that guy.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't know if someone already said this, but John Batchelor show has been covering this for awhile now.  About a month ago, he had his space guy on who said that Virgin Galactic was being funded by oil barons, and that they had demanded results by the end of the year.  And not only that, that they had demanded that Branson HIMSELF and his family fly on the first commercial flight.  If not, they were going to pull funding, which would effectively kill the project.

So basically they were rushing to get something going that wasn't anywhere near ready.
View Quote

From what I understand, the original motor could not get space ship 2 near the speed or height that was required.  They changed the formulation from rubber to plastic (or vice versa) and were trying to get it ready for commercial flights in March.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

I realize it's probably of little consolation, but he died serving an important role for what I believe will be one of the most critical aspects in the future of the human race: space travel for the common man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was friends and a coworker of one of the test pilots years ago.  Haven't talked to him in a while.  I am hoping it wasn't him.

A few years back (2006) has another friend/former coworker and another former coworker die in a test flight.

Just got an email from another old coworker.  Sounds like it was him.

Sorry to hear that.

I realize it's probably of little consolation, but he died serving an important role for what I believe will be one of the most critical aspects in the future of the human race: space travel for the common man.

Well said.

The man is an inspiration to us all. I would drop everything for a chance to work in space, and I'm sure these brave test pilots felt the same way. They were aware of the dangers, and chose to live life to the fullest!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Before anyone else posts in this thread, they owe it to theMselves to read this well-written article that was WRITTEN LAST NIGHT BEFORE THE ACCIDENT!

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2014/10/30/apollo-ansari-hobbling-effects-giant-leaps/

I have been reading Parabolic Arc for some time now and to say the least, I am not a bit surpised by this accident.  In fact, I knew it was coming eventually,

I have long said scaling the SS1 up was a path down a blind alley.
View Quote

Thanks, good article.

I hope three is not a charm
Orbital
Spaceshiptwo
???

All hail the  SSME (RS-25)
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Elon Musk seems to have it figured out with the Merlin.  Simple and robust with decent performance and excellent reliability.

And the SSME essentially had a perfect flight history with only minor issues.  As did the Apollo F-1 and the H-1 on the Saturn 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.space.com/images/i/000/028/452/original/virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-hybrid-rocket-motor.jpg?1367161537

In practice, liquid fueled engines not named RD-107 or Atlas aren't very reliable either when you look at the launch numbers.
LF rocket engines are so complex that unless they are mass produced after a long test period to get costs down and reliability up, they are losers.

Elon Musk seems to have it figured out with the Merlin.  Simple and robust with decent performance and excellent reliability.

And the SSME essentially had a perfect flight history with only minor issues.  As did the Apollo F-1 and the H-1 on the Saturn 1.

Using kerosene and lox is about as simple and low cost as it gets for rocket fuel, too.  Better than hydrazine and all the other caustic, difficult to handle fuels that have been used.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oil barons. Yeah.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oil barons. Yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oil barons. Yeah.

That's my wording.  Investment group from Abu Dhabi from what I remember.  

Here's an article about it from ABC:  http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8191703
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
UAE/Dubai is a big stakeholder in VG.
View Quote

They probably want a spaceport built in their country.  They are quickly losing oil and need tourist attractions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Branson is a dreamer, not an engineer.  The whole virgin galactic project is patently ridiculous.  Calling a flight to the edge of space for 30 seconds "space flight" is just stupid.  The energy needed to achieve even a single orbit is at least ten times what the kludged together rutan specials are making.
View Quote

The Wright brothers' first flight was 10 feet off the ground for a total of 120 feet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being sarcastic since Branson says the NRA has killed people.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We know how to build good, clean-sheet liquid fueled engines now.

We are approaching the era of Methane engines, SpaceX , Blue Origin and ULA are all building new designs in the near future that use Methane.

Methane solves lots of problems and splits the performance difference between Kero and Hydrogen.

We handle gobs of Methane every day for non-space applications so we are already deep in industry knowledge.
View Quote

^This so much.

Solids and their lack of throttling is one thing, but the much worse idea of grenades (hybrids) need to stop being considered for manned flight.

Though Rutan's ego will never allow him to admit this was a fucking bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Wright brothers' first flight was 10 feet off the ground for a total of 120 feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which has what to do with manned suborbital flight in 2014?  

I'd saddle up in a spaceX dragon and go to space tomorrow, they are a company that knows how to build hardware capable of space flight.  Scaled composites is far from it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Give them credit for fitting some kind of motor into an already built chassis, it sounds like the goal was to keep the program flying even if it wouldn't reach the necessary height or maybe explode.  The kaboom was extremely unfortunate, the loss of life possibly avoidable, and the loss of the vehicle at this point is moot.  They needed to design an engine then build the vehicle around it - like the A-10 was designed around its gun.

The more I read, the more it seems these men were doomed from the start.

What do I know, I'm no rocket scientist... but neither was Rutan, who has since retired.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top