Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I was friends and a coworker of one of the test pilots years ago.  Haven't talked to him in a while.  I am hoping it wasn't him.

A few years back (2006) has another friend/former coworker and another former coworker die in a test flight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Beiber bought a ride.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.

This type of development will have inherent risks.  We cannot make progress if we are risk averse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks. The article said they had switched propellants for the rocket, wonder if that had anything to do with it.  That's gonna set the paying passenger flights waaaaay back.

This probably ended the program.

I doubt it...

Branson is the type of innovator who will continue to spend money because he is a vision guy. He's not going to ditch the program because of a setback. He will put more money into it and achieve the goal he set of commercial space flight.

We need more people, like Branson, willing to push the envelope and innovate if we are going to continue our exploration of the universe. We can't do it off the back of government alone.

This.

This type of development will have inherent risks.  We cannot make progress if we are risk averse.

Strapping yourself to a rocket and blasting off into space is dangerous, I'm sure they planned for when this was eventually going to happen.  I'b be shocked and disgusted if they ended the program over this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Privatized space flight, you say...?  

Yeaaah, you guys can go ahead without me.  

I'll keep my feet firmly planted on the ground for now, thanks.
View Quote

Ok, don't look up.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, that sucks for them.

Does this mean Stephen Hawking ISN'T going to space?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God." Thank you. - Ronald Reagan
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to keep things in perspective, things don't always work the first time.  That's why we call it testing, and it's why we pay test pilots a lot.  Space travel is literally rocket science.  The shit takes a bit of work to make safe when you strap a bomb to your ass and set fire to it.

Build a better one and get back on the horse.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a little different than an in-flight fatality incident as far as a chilling effect on passenger flights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks. The article said they had switched propellants for the rocket, wonder if that had anything to do with it.  That's gonna set the paying passenger flights waaaaay back.

Doubt it.  There was an explosion in 2007 that killed three working on the engine.

link to 2007

That's a little different than an in-flight fatality incident as far as a chilling effect on passenger flights.

Meh.  Regular airplanes crash sometimes too.  Especially new concept sorts of airplanes.  Look at all the crashes the AF and NASA had back in the sound-barrier breaking days. This is just getting extra publicity because it's space related, and commercial.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
To he who risks go the rewards.

RIP.  The journey outward has not truly yet begun but we owe these heroes and ones just like them everything we have accomplished to date.

One of these days we're going to colonize the universe.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]

No ejection seats.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just to keep things in perspective, things don't always work the first time.  That's why we call it testing, and it's why we pay test pilots a lot.  Space travel is literally rocket science.  The shit takes a bit of work to make safe when you strap a bomb to your ass and set fire to it.

View Quote

It's sounds harsh to say, but I'm sure a number of pilots saw this and updated their resumes.

Scaled Composites doesn't seem like the kind of place that folds after one mishap either.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
well that sucks
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Screw the Negative Nancies.  Things go wrong sometimes when you're pushing the envelope.  That doesn't ignore the loss but you don't succeed if you quit at failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joel Glenn Brenner is on CNN, hammering Branson and Virgin Galactic.

I listened to her.  She can't say "I" and "Me" enough.  

Screw the Negative Nancies.  Things go wrong sometimes when you're pushing the envelope.  That doesn't ignore the loss but you don't succeed if you quit at failure.

Yup, just imagine if NASA gave up after the Apollo 1 fire.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's sounds harsh to say, but I'm sure a number of pilots saw this and updated their resumes.

Scaled Composites doesn't seem like the kind of place that folds after one mishap either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor do they seem the type to run without insurance.  Experimental space ships ain't cheap and I bet Lloyds of London is not happy right now.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nor do they seem the type to run without insurance.  Experimental space ships ain't cheap and I bet Lloyds of London is not happy right now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Lloyds is unhappy, it's their own fault for not running the numbers properly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everybody knows that space flight is still quite risky.

Spaceshiptwo has had a long string of successful operations.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No ejection seats.  

View Quote

Nope.  Bailing involves climbing out the door and jumping.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Godpseed

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry for the pilots, but glad this will hurt Branson's business. Fuck that guy.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was friends and a coworker of one of the test pilots years ago.  Haven't talked to him in a while.  I am hoping it wasn't him.

A few years back (2006) has another friend/former coworker and another former coworker die in a test flight.
View Quote

Just got an email from another old coworker.  Sounds like it was him.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very sorry to hear that man.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No ejection seats.  

View Quote

they add weight and complexity and additional risks all of their own in a spacecraft.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Eh, not really 100% appropriate with a friend of a poster being the casualty.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My condolences
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Not the crash but a tail cam view on the second powered flight run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-khULLjtgU

Third run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwm3leZu-O0

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

I realize it's probably of little consolation, but he died serving an important role for what I believe will be one of the most critical aspects in the future of the human race: space travel for the common man.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hope that everything turns out alright for the crew.  Branson took a big risk going with Scaled Composites to build his craft.  I wouldn't trust Burt Rutan's company to properly build a lego set.  I have worked on programs in the past where Scaled Composites tried to participate and I will say the following; their engineering methods leave far too much to chance and their cavalier attitudes to things like safety margins and structural soundness are to be avoided.
View Quote

There is a difference between a company building a prototype and one building airliners.  Rutan has a long history of building ingenious designs that fly everyday.   Now you may not always get the A team on every project and that can impact an R&D shop that lacks process versus a Boeing that is process driven to crank out one 737 per day.  But I'm pretty sure SpaceShipTwo has the A team on the project.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Wonder what Musk thinks about all this...
(edited because I didn't want people taking original post the wrong way...)

Godspeed pilots
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Apollo 1's command module burned on the launchpad, yet the program continued after lessons learned. The kind of people willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a seat might be chilled for a while, sure. But eventually people will get past it. If people stopped when the first boat sank, or the first plane crashed, we wouln't be talking about privately funded spacetravel right now, would we?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

I realize it's probably of little consolation, but he died serving an important role for what I believe will be one of the most critical aspects in the future of the human race: space travel for the common man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

^ Agreed

Edit: A very somber 50th post
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#35]
What type of rocket motor are they using and who builds it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#36]
How many rich guys have died a miserable death on Mount Everest.  Some folks are willing to take a chance.  They have a need to push limits.  Commercial space flight is just such a limit.  I'm sorry one of the crew died, but he died doing a very worthwhile thing.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember seeing the Challenger Crash. Thought to my self that was a tough break. To me the Shuttle was the pinnacle of test pilots.
To NASA and the media they called it a tragedy. I feel NASA had it coming putting a teacher/civilian on the flight. People talked like the flight was
a normal Miami to New York Delta flight.

As one old grizzled Astronaut once  supposedly said. " Here I'm sitting on top of this rocket waiting for blastoff, and every part on it was the "Low" bid".
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What type of rocket motor are they using and who builds it?
View Quote

Hybrid rocket engine, solid fuel, liquid oxidizer.
from wiki, Scaled Composite develop the rocket engine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If Lloyds is unhappy, it's their own fault for not running the numbers properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insurance companies are always unhappy when they have to write a check in stead of just cashing em.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I would go on the trip tomorrow if offered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
To he who risks go the rewards.

RIP.  The journey outward has not truly yet begun but we owe these heroes and ones just like them everything we have accomplished to date.

One of these days we're going to colonize the universe.
View Quote

+10.000

It takes balls of steel to be a test pilot for a program like this. They know the risks, but do it anyway.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Okay, evidently the reporter lady may have slightly more cred than I thought: http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/31/reporter-chronicling-virgin-emotionally-accuses-company-of-complicity-in-piolets-death/

Maybe. Still a reporter and you can't always trust them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#46]
The report I saw said that Parachutes were seen.

If that's correct then they were able to get out of it... but since the report also said 1 dead and another severely injured... I suspect the getting out part was not exactly smooth.

The pictures of the debris don't indicate to me "massive explosion".  I'm not seeing scorch marks or anything...  I hope we get video of the mishap... I'm expecting some sort of engine cut out... or small explosion but for the craft to still be largely intact... maybe damage to control surfaces necessitating their exit from the craft... then the thing spins its way down to impact.

That's the scenario I'm imagining currently with the scant details that have been released.  Those details could also be wrong as early reports often are.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay, evidently the reporter lady may have slightly more cred than I thought: http://hotair.com/archives/2014/10/31/reporter-chronicling-virgin-emotionally-accuses-company-of-complicity-in-piolets-death/

Maybe. Still a reporter and you can't always trust them.
View Quote

What is her "credibility?"

Is she a rocket scientist?  A pilot.  Test Pilot?   She knows someone on the plane and is doing "research" about the company.

What is her basis for saying that private "space flight" is not ready now?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

Oddly he and I went to flight training to get our pilots license together. I was laid off temporarily, so I didn't finish. He did.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Wonder how long the debris field is.

The area there comprises part of China lake, part kf a recreational offroad area, honda test track, inyokern, ridgecrest, and a major highway.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top