Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 9:36:12 AM EDT
I took a shower this morning and my dog thought it would taste good to eat half my bottle of melatonin.
How concerned should I be?

Update. Dog has vomited and is most displeased  with me. Tough titty for him.
We're on our way to the vet for observation. He should either have an extremely eventful night or the polar opposite.

How could anything just want to chow down on medicine? it's not like it smells or tastes good.

Thank for the advice guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I think your dog is going to turn into a snoopdog

Edit:  nevermind.  I always confuse melatonin with melanin
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Call a vet or use Google to find out if it will be harmful to the dog.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think your dog is going to turn into a snoopdog
View Quote

fo shizzle
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Really?  You think GD is the best place to get an answer?  Call an emergency vet line!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Force feed him hydrogen peroxide until he vomits. I am not sure if Melatonin is toxic in high doses, but better to not take any chances.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Dibs on chow and chew toys
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really?  You think GD is the best place to get an answer?  Call an emergency vet line!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Force feed him hydrogen peroxide until he vomits. I am not sure if Melatonin is toxic in high doses, but better to not take any chances.
View Quote

Trying this. In between typing and remaining on hold with vet.

Great start to the miring
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Most likely his body will not absorb it all and it will pass his system.  We are talking an amino acid your dog should be fine maybe a upset stomach but let him sleep it off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do not do that......SERIOUSLY do not do that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Dibbs on guns and ammo.
Does you dog own any guns and ammo?

I would call a vet, now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if you should let sleeping dogs lie...

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A capful goes a long way! And yes, this is SOP for inducing vomit.  Had to do it with a 5 lb min pin that ate a bag of Kahlua chocolates on Christmas eve.  

Melatonin shouldn't be dangerous, I was always under the impression it will absorb what it can and the rest will pass right on through.

I could be wrong, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#14]
•Call your veterinarian or pet poison control center/hotline. Have as much of the following information ready as possible: your dog’s approximate weight, any health problems the dog suffers from, what he may have eaten, when he may have eaten it, and the amount potentially involved. If you are instructed to induce emesis at home, proceed. Otherwise follow the directions given to you by the veterinarian you have spoken with.

•If the dog has not eaten within the last two hours, offer him a small meal. This makes it more likely that the dog will vomit but is not essential if the dog is uninterested in food.

•Measure 1 milliliter (ml) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per pound of dog weight, using either the syringe or teaspoon. One teaspoon is approximately five ml. The maximum amount of hydrogen peroxide to be given at any one time is 45 ml, even if a dog weighs over 45 pounds.

•Squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of the dog’s mouth using the syringe or turkey baster.

•If vomiting has not occurred within 15 minutes or so, give one more dose of hydrogen peroxide measured out as described above. If vomiting still does not occur, call your veterinarian or the pet poison control center/hotline back for instructions.

•Once vomiting has occurred, collect a sample in a leak-proof container to bring to your veterinarian’s office for identification if you are unsure of exactly what your dog may have eaten.

•Thoroughly clean up the vomit. Wear latex or rubber gloves while handling vomit, particularly if it potentially contains a material that is hazardous to human health.

•Unless instructed otherwise by your veterinarian or the pet poison control center/hotline, take the dog to a veterinary clinic immediately for evaluation and continued treatment.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#15]
How big is the dog and how old?

Melatonin is relatively safe, even in high doses in humans. It also looks like it is given to dogs at doses near human doses.

Unless he's a really small little rat dog, 50 mg is not likely to be toxic
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Sumbitch is gonna sleep for 3 days straight... While having the shits!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep us posted.   1mg knocks me out and gives me really wierd dreams, so I'm kinda interested what a mega dose will do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Keep us posted. 1mg knocks me out and gives me really wierd dreams, so I'm kinda interested what a mega dose will do.
View Quote

You'll be tripping balls but in your sleep.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump for update.
thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best advice so far..
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#21]
DT...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't sweat it at all.  I had a dog that ate it's own dog house and a bunch of cat shit.  They're tough because they're dumb
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Crush one charcoal brick, mix in one raw egg and a dash of vanilla.  Your dog will love it and 5 minutes later puke out everything in its stomach.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Dog will be tripping balls tonight in his sleep if he doesn't go completely insane.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Good barf!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dog will be tripping balls tonight in his sleep if he doesn't go completely insane.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't do a thing for me. I'm betting the dog will be just fine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Lab?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top