User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to be an organ donor.

But seriously, the possibility that my organs might be used to benefit a liberal made me uncheck that donor box.

Liberals count on the kindness of conservatives (who donate more to charity) even as they hold conservatives in contempt.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Core me like an apple after I'm gone. I can't use them anymore, but maybe others can.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hi, all. Been lurking for years but only registered about a week ago.
View Quote

Howdy.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How many of you are organ donors and how many of you oppose it?

Just wondering. Bride (no pics) and I were talking about it and it seems many older people are against it yet younger people see the benefits of it.

What say you? Oh! and of course poll inbound for those who are inclined to vote.

Thank you!
View Quote

I am, although I've heard stories about people that "might have" made it, but since they were donors and the parts were really needed . . .

that said, I wish I could say "donor: not for liberals."
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under what circumstances would anyone possibly be against it?

Full disclosure:  I am a donor recipient.

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.

sure. and giving blood could be mandatory. . . and maybe you should have to bring a can of food for the homeless when you do donate. . . .
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a basic fairness issue.  You aren't willing to donate but are perfectly willing to benefit from other's donations?  Fuck off hypocrite.  Opt out or opt in, that's your choice.  The supply of donated organs is very limited because of so few donors.  If it was an opt out system instead of an opt in one the supply would increase dramatically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Organs are a limited commodity.  A commodity with a price control (price limited to $0).   Your solution is to mandate supply by forcing everyone to be an organ donor?   Jeez, why on earth would anyone think that was communistic?  

Please point out to me in my post where I said that.  

The part where you implied anyone who wasn't an organ donor should be barred from receiving organs.

It's a basic fairness issue.  You aren't willing to donate but are perfectly willing to benefit from other's donations?  Fuck off hypocrite.  Opt out or opt in, that's your choice.  The supply of donated organs is very limited because of so few donors.  If it was an opt out system instead of an opt in one the supply would increase dramatically.

why should this apply only to organs? let's work that down the path a bit. if you're on food stamps, you should have to come mow my lawn.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I will not participate in the poll - but, the bible says - no.
View Quote

wait. it does? where ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hi, all. Been lurking for years but only registered about a week ago. I've been waiting to bust the ol' Arfcom cherry on something worthy. It's also a bit intimidating posting here, as posters can be brutal to one another. Still, it's Halloween - Happy Halloween, everyone! - and Halloween is the best day to talk about harvesting people's organs. Right?

My state is an "opt-out" state with regard to organ donation, and that pisses me off. I feel that the gravity of organ donation is such that people should not automatically be added to the rosters when they get a DL; people should step forward to volunteer for this serious undertaking. Having your organs harvested, and passing them along to other living humans, is a big deal on so many levels, not the least of which is philosophical. Automatically checking you off as an organ donor is too intrusive, too nanny state-ish, given that the default "setting," if you will, is to share those organs with your fellow humans! No. No way. Blaise Pascal's quote about preferring his dog to people is spot on.

There are disquieting aspects to organ harvesting, as well. I can't remember who published the article to which I'm about to refer, but it's floating around the Interwebz somewhere. It's about how a small percentage of brain-dead organ donors exhibit all the classic signs of experiencing excruciating pain when their organs are being harvested. The percentage truly is small - 1%, IIRC - but I don't want to be one of those 1 percenters (har!) going through literal agony just so someone else can live. I'd rather die in peace.

So. There's my Arfcom cherry busted.
View Quote

You are a brave man to step into this thread for your first post. Which state would you be talking about, son?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You are a brave man to step into this thread for your first post. Which state would you be talking about, son?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi, all. Been lurking for years but only registered about a week ago. I've been waiting to bust the ol' Arfcom cherry on something worthy. It's also a bit intimidating posting here, as posters can be brutal to one another. Still, it's Halloween - Happy Halloween, everyone! - and Halloween is the best day to talk about harvesting people's organs. Right?

My state is an "opt-out" state with regard to organ donation, and that pisses me off. I feel that the gravity of organ donation is such that people should not automatically be added to the rosters when they get a DL; people should step forward to volunteer for this serious undertaking. Having your organs harvested, and passing them along to other living humans, is a big deal on so many levels, not the least of which is philosophical. Automatically checking you off as an organ donor is too intrusive, too nanny state-ish, given that the default "setting," if you will, is to share those organs with your fellow humans! No. No way. Blaise Pascal's quote about preferring his dog to people is spot on.

There are disquieting aspects to organ harvesting, as well. I can't remember who published the article to which I'm about to refer, but it's floating around the Interwebz somewhere. It's about how a small percentage of brain-dead organ donors exhibit all the classic signs of experiencing excruciating pain when their organs are being harvested. The percentage truly is small - 1%, IIRC - but I don't want to be one of those 1 percenters (har!) going through literal agony just so someone else can live. I'd rather die in peace.

Read the screen name again.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
David Crosby, ex-con and mega-druggie, got a liver transplant in 1994. The bill was paid by his buddy Phil Collins. Twenty years later I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that one. Only thing I can think is that there weren't any deserving candidates for the liver that became available. I'd like to believe that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, pretty perceptive isn't he?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected. No offense meant. Pics of husband?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just so you know, I was only responding to the "news" story and NOT to you.  No offense intended.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just responding to the blood isn't sold post . I have zero problems with the free market .

Just so you know, I was only responding to the "news" story and NOT to you.  No offense intended.  

No problems

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There was nothing recoverable?

Physical bonds are tough to cut... your mother may have helped things. Those people that called you - they were not from your local dogfood company.... there was science to happen. But, you prohibited it.

EDIT: Fuck them for trying, amiright?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not even 10 minutes after I'd sat holding my Mom's hand and talking to her as she passed away I was told that I had a call at the nurses station. I thought it must be a family member calling. Motherfucking scumbag wanting ALL of my mother's organs. Nevermind the fact that none of her organs were useful, not even her corneas.

Fuck those bastards and I hope they rot in hell.

Fuck you

There was nothing recoverable?

Physical bonds are tough to cut... your mother may have helped things. Those people that called you - they were not from your local dogfood company.... there was science to happen. But, you prohibited it.

EDIT: Fuck them for trying, amiright?

"science". funny how ANYTHING that we deem to be "science" these days is suddenly without question, and unassailable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a donor, hoping my penis lives on for years after me having adventures I never did in life. Maybe someplace exotic, like San Francisco in a band where everyone wears costumes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Howdy.  
View Quote

Hi! I really love the little waving dude. How do I make one just like him?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I stand corrected. No offense meant. Pics of husband?
View Quote

Sorry, they're all non-COC compliant. No offense taken, by the way. As for the state I'm in (land, not emotional, heehee), I'd prefer not to say. OPSEC, son. OPSEC.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
After having dealt with the organ donation groups when I was a major crime detective and how they could care less about the outcome of a criminal investigation (even when the donor was the victim of a homicide) and their complete lack of respect for the wishes of the donors family, I am completely put off by the groups that administrate for the donations. That and seeing what is done to the body for some of the tissue/organ donations, I'll pass.

J-
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy.  

When you make a reply, click the 'animations' button. Click on those emoticons to put them into your reply.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not even 10 minutes after I'd sat holding my Mom's hand and talking to her as she passed away I was told that I had a call at the nurses station. I thought it must be a family member calling. Motherfucking scumbag wanting ALL of my mother's organs. Nevermind the fact that none of her organs were useful, not even her corneas.

Fuck those bastards and I hope they rot in hell.

Fuck you
View Quote

I was in the waiting room of a hospital a few years ago and there was this grieving family that had obviously just lost someone one.  Then some guy walked up and just immediately starting talking to them about harvesting the body.   One of the men looked extremely pissed and just said "not now."  The dumbass wouldn't stop.  He kept on tallking to them about it until suddenly the "not now" guy tackled him and starting punching him in the face.  After a few seconds some guys pulled him off and the harvester ran off.

He'll probably be a bit more tactful in the future.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You want my organs? Pay my estate. Otherwise, all parties involved in the extraction of the organs, and the transplant, must agree to provide their services, and facilities free of charge.
View Quote

Bingo!

Nearly everyone here bitches about the FSA but the majority think you should give away your organs. Fuck that noise.

If I am unfortunate enough to need a transplant I would like to think the donor's estate was compensated fairly for the part I needed.

I simply don't get why a dollar value can't be placed on organs just like blood or sperm. At least a person's final expenses could be off-set a bit but it seems it's just a take for free game they play.

Pay my estate or GTFO.

Heck, if I'm able I would not even mind haggling over the price on my death bed.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
They can take anything they want when I die.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They can take anything they want when I die.
View Quote

Dibs on real estate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was younger, I kinda stressed about it for reasons I no longer remember, and didn't get the orange dot on my license (indicates organ donor).

Now I don't give a rats ass. I got the dot. I figure if anything is still in working shape when I kick the bucket, take em. I certainly won't be caring about em!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When you make a reply, click the 'animations' button. Click on those emoticons to put them into your reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The vast majority of those needing organs end up destitute due to their health issues.  Who will pay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want my organs? Pay my estate. Otherwise, all parties involved in the extraction of the organs, and the transplant, must agree to provide their services, and facilities free of charge.

Bingo!

Nearly everyone here bitches about the FSA but the majority think you should give away your organs. Fuck that noise.

If I am unfortunate enough to need a transplant I would like to think the donor's estate was compensated fairly for the part I needed.

I simply don't get why a dollar value can't be placed on organs just like blood or sperm. At least a person's final expenses could be off-set a bit but it seems it's just a take for free game they play.

Pay my estate or GTFO.

Heck, if I'm able I would not even mind haggling over the price on my death bed.

The vast majority of those needing organs end up destitute due to their health issues.  Who will pay?

I guess whoever is paying for Mr. Destitute's transplant.  

If some .org wants to play the Good Samaritan to foot the bill for a organ transplant then they can cough-up the price of the part.

I think it's morally reprehensible to give away good parts when so many are profiting from them. I'm not talking about the recipient of the part either.

Just look at the profit off of organ transplant anti-rejection drugs and you will see what I mean.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!

Pay my estate or GTFO.

Don't you see that DESTITUTE is the new RICH?

WE will pay, of course. By 'we' I mean people who work for a living, own property, and are not a member of any of the current privileged minorities. Middle class, for short.

DESTITUTE means that you will still get everything you need, and most of what you want, except now you will not be expected to pay for it. Particularly if you are a member of that sainted elite, "single mothers".

The irony here is that many of the people who are going to be paying for the favored classes transplants, and their health care in general, cannot afford health insurance for themselves any longer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Medical personnel should work for free?  Earning a living is "profitting?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If some .org wants to play the Good Samaritan to foot the bill for a organ transplant then they can cough-up the price of the part.

I think it's morally reprehensible to give away good parts when so many are profiting from them. I'm not talking about the recipient of the part either.

I should give away my parts for free? Wanting to help my family pay my final expenses through the sale of my organs is "selfish"? Yeah right.

I view giving away organs as no different than giving away parts off a old parts rifle.

So I should give away a perfectly good rifle bolt for free so some stranger's gun can get a new lease on life? I don't think so.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll wont donate anything until the day they agree that my family wont be billed for my "stay".
The doner gets billed, the recipient gets billed and the facility collects a bundle.
They want it, they can pay with services rendered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#33]
always will be
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um... yeah.  Earning a living is the same as profiting.  Nothing wrong with that.

I don't the docs should work for free.   I don't think it should be illegal for people to sell their organs, either.

The solution is less government.  Not more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I ride a motorcycle...so yeah, I figured I would become a donor when I got my endorsement.  Won't be needing them when I keel over.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I ride a 1 liter sport bike.

All kidding aside, yes. If I die early, those who need my organs are welcome to them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Donating for a couple reasons;

1. As long as I am actually done using them, then I won't be needing them anymore.
2. A little piece of me stays alive this way. Who knows? Maybe the cure of death will be found after my recipient (host) takes "posession" of one of my organs.  reckon that'll give my cells time to overthrow the host and I am reborn into a new body after death is cured. Now, multiply this by however many pieces get passed around. Oh yeah, making the world a better place one fucked up kidney at a time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The supply would increase dramatically because of the overt threat of denying people necessary medical care.

Your solution to a problem of supply caused in part by government interference... is more government interference.   Which sounds about par for the course.

lol, basic fairness issue.  Don't overstate your case there, bud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Organs are a limited commodity.  A commodity with a price control (price limited to $0).   Your solution is to mandate supply by forcing everyone to be an organ donor?   Jeez, why on earth would anyone think that was communistic?  

Please point out to me in my post where I said that.  

The part where you implied anyone who wasn't an organ donor should be barred from receiving organs.

The supply would increase dramatically because of the overt threat of denying people necessary medical care.

Your solution to a problem of supply caused in part by government interference... is more government interference.   Which sounds about par for the course.

lol, basic fairness issue.  Don't overstate your case there, bud.

If you aren't willing to donate organs you no longer need but want access to the ones other donate, that sounds pretty FSA to me.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you aren't willing to donate organs you no longer need but want access to the ones other donate, that sounds pretty FSA to me.  
View Quote

If you want to buy a new car, but aren't willing to donate your old one to charity, does that make you a member of the FSA?

You know what I haven't seen even remotely addressed in this thread?   Why people think it's a good idea for government to ban the sale of organs.   Why they think it should be illegal for people or their heirs to profit from their organs.   Why they think the current level of government involvement in this issue is a good thing.

Lets figure out if we even like the current level of government "problem solving" before we pile more on top.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Many people are willing to do good in their lifetimes.  Doing good is a concept worth considering.  It is a concept removed from profit and capitalism.  It is an ultimate selfless act.  People like me pay for nothing yet they enjoy an extended life because those selfless angels have donated their organs to keep others alive.  It is the most exquisite part of human life - I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to buy a new car, but aren't willing to donate your old one to charity, does that make you a member of the FSA?

You know what I haven't seen even remotely addressed in this thread?   Why people think it's a good idea for government to ban the sale of organs.   Why they think it should be illegal for people or their heirs to profit from their organs.   Why they think the current level of government involvement in this issue is a good thing.

Lets figure out if we even like the current level of government "problem solving" before we pile more on top.

Many people are willing to do good in their lifetimes.  Doing good is a concept worth considering.  It is a concept removed from profit and capitalism.  It is an ultimate selfless act.  People like me pay for nothing yet they enjoy an extended life because those selfless angels have donated their organs to keep others alive.  It is the most exquisite part of human life - I believe.

I'm not opposed to people donating.  I'm opposed to people being coerced into it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Medical personnel should absolutely charge for their services, nothing wrong with that.  So why shouldn't I charge for the use of my organs? I'm selling something that I (in this case my estate) owns, so why should I be expected to give it away for free, but it's perfectly acceptable to sell other things which are mine (pre or post death).

Full disclosure: I have no moral or religious opposition to organ donation, that said I'm not a listed donor. Pre death I'll donate blood, organs and other fluids/parts on a case by case basis.  Post death I won't donate unless my estate is compensated or I can gift/give them to people of my choosing or the executor of my wills choosing based on instructions left in my will.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Whoever gets my iiver is going to be very surprised at his new level of acohol tolerance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Perhaps they aren't being coerced but convinced.  We wouldn't scoff at an education, roger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm opposed to people being coerced...

Perhaps they aren't being coerced but convinced.  We wouldn't scoff at an education, roger?

A rose by any other name.

"Convincing" doctors to provide their service for free by barring them from purchasing some other life-essential service if they refuse would also be coercion.  And of the same type.

When the incentive for doing X (something you don't want to do) is that I won't do Y (bad thing) to you if you do it anyways, then yeah.   That's what we call coercion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Let us be glad that's not a fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm opposed to people being coerced...

A rose by any other name.

"Convincing" doctors to provide their service for free by barring them from purchasing some other life-essential service if they refuse would also be coercion.  And of the same type.

When the incentive for doing X (something you don't want to do) is that I won't do Y (bad thing) to you if you do it anyways, then yeah.   That's what we call coercion.

Let us be glad that's not a fact.

Yet.   The wheels are going to fly off the healthcare roller coaster shortly.  

Don't get sick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Read up a few posts.

I certainly have nothing against donors. I just had an experience so bad with a harvester that it turned me off forever. What I experienced was callous and wrong. So yes, my sample size of one is enough for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only experience with an organ donor / harvesting organization was extremely bad.

Fucking ghouls.

No, I won't and don't support assholes like that.

Care to elaborate?

I'm an organ donor and looking for an excuse not to be.

Read up a few posts.

I certainly have nothing against donors. I just had an experience so bad with a harvester that it turned me off forever. What I experienced was callous and wrong. So yes, my sample size of one is enough for me.

They're doing a shitty job that may just save lives.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Under what circumstances would anyone possibly be against it?

Full disclosure:  I am a donor recipient.
View Quote

As am I.  It is a major life change. I have now had two kidney transplants.  First a living donor from a friend and second was a cadaver.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top