Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats weapons grade retarded.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doctors are dispassionate. If there is a good chance you won't make it, they have no qualms about giving up on you to provide organs to someone who is a sure bet. I'm sure it will grow worse in the coming Obamacare years.

Thats weapons grade retarded.

There have been "dead" folks about to be harvested who woke up or otherwise recovered. (As we do this thread a lot, I tire of providing links to those who won't be persuaded. Feel free to Google it yourself if you've never heard of such a case.)

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Let me put it to you this way. Sister, age 25. Never drank or smoke, damn near perfect little Christian girl. All she ever wanted in life was a husband, a house, and a child. She gets the first two, then has my niece on Oct 19th 9 years ago. Gets out of the hospital a week later. Goes back for a cist on her ovary. Remove cist. Here take this medication, oops it made you deathly ill, here take this, oops same thing with blood clots on top of that, take this, oops she had a stroke. On life support now but already brain dead. How convenient a guy in his 40s had been waiting on that perfect match for my sisters guts.

Me and my family sat at the hospital all day when she died on Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving fucking sucks now and it's worse every year. Her death almost pushed me over the edge. I'm better now but I'm very insensitive if someone passes, although I try not to be, it's just buried there inside me.

So take your smartass comments the fuck away from me, and lay there like a little troll on his death bed waiting for someone to gift him a team membership.

A fucking cist on her ovary and being an organ donor got my sister killed. The docs couldn't even give an explanation of her death. I would support organ donation if it worked like it should but my sister is living proof that it doesn't work that way.

This is her on her wedding day.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/34716_154237394607124_3590132_n.jpg?oh=b73fe4d51658dbd6fb9a788ddc637da2&oe=54EF6D3E

This is her daughter.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p417x417/10402961_839791079385082_6150115788226707288_n.jpg?oh=1a68312d5a199190514efb2bfe7f8427&oe=54AB0E77&__gda__=1425041553_19a4397c4cfe448799343b06eb9b2b55
View Quote

When I responded to your initial post with my "that's how it works" comment, I was referring to the fact that they had a recipient identified.  I didn't realize that you were implying and believe that they intentionally sent her off sabotaged to die so that someone else could get her organs.  We are clearly too far apart on that point to discuss the matter further.  I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Read up a few posts.

I certainly have nothing against donors. I just had an experience so bad with a harvester that it turned me off forever. What I experienced was callous and wrong. So yes, my sample size of one is enough for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only experience with an organ donor / harvesting organization was extremely bad.

Fucking ghouls.

No, I won't and don't support assholes like that.

Care to elaborate?

I'm an organ donor and looking for an excuse not to be.

Read up a few posts.

I certainly have nothing against donors. I just had an experience so bad with a harvester that it turned me off forever. What I experienced was callous and wrong. So yes, my sample size of one is enough for me.

http://www.organdonor.gov/lifestories/lifekevans.html

This baby is alive because someone was a donor.

This woman is alive to watch her grandchildren grow up because of a donor.

This kid received a kidney at age 2, and because of that donor, 9 years later, is thriving and giving back.

There are tons of stories. Read some of them.

I'm sorry the hospital was insensitive with you. That was wrong of them, but that was not an example of the process as a whole... and it certainly doesn't begin to encompass how many lives are saved. Many donor recipients stay in touch with donor families and share a special bond.

The SO's uncle died of a heart attack. One person who got his corneas was able to get their sight back. The guy was 19 years old and had been blind for ten. He wrote the most incredible thank-you letter to the family. I wish I had a copy. Can you imagine losing your sight? Never being able to see a starry night sky again, or a rainbow, or fields of wheat?

I'd give up my hearing, my taste. I might even give up my legs before i gave up my sight.

They hurt you, and that's shitty and it sucks, but I think you're holding on to pain that should be let go.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I say you can have all the pink squishy things inside of me that they want because I want some of my DNA and my ashes shot off into space that is my only request.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under what circumstances would anyone possibly be against it?

Full disclosure:  I am a donor recipient.

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.

I agree with this.

Quoted:
Yes, my whole family is.  I see only selfish reasons to not be a donor.

And this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to be an organ donor, great.  All for it.

I just ask this one thing of you (the organ donor) and your family:  

Have a direct cremation or direct burial.  

Don't ask the funeral director(s) to put your body (what's left of it) back together for a viewing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What I experienced was callous and wrong. So yes, my sample size of one is enough for me.
View Quote

Well put.

I'm sure they aren't all like my experience but one is enough to sway my opinion.

More power to you if you want to save somebody's life. It's just not always the case of "I'm old, and on my death bed, I don't need these anymore" could very well be "I went in to get a cist removed from my ovary at the healthy age of 25, thankfully my organs helped save a person."

I won't take part in being a donor or recipient.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree with this.

And this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this.

Quoted:
Yes, my whole family is.  I see only selfish reasons to not be a donor.

And this.

Ideas so good they have to be government mandated.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ideas so good they have to be government mandated.
View Quote

But non organ donors are the hypocrites and selfish.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Pay me , or my family , and im in .

Free market?

Nope im suppose to give it away. Do docs and hospitals put the organs in for free? No? Why not?

Same reason I wont give blood.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I am an organ donor but considering getting it off my license and off the registry and just letting my family know.  I have no issue with them harvesting useful major organs and such but I am a little concerned about all the "extras" they take and sell for cosmetic surgery and such. Not that I need the stuff but don't want to be someones but lift or new chin.  I do believe the estate of donors should be compensated for the donations but am not willing to let money come before saving someones life with an organ I don't need anymore.

Does anyone know if you can specify in writing what specifically they can take?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOVE this idea!

I was against it at first until I saw the benefits for those in need of them. Its one of those things you have to really be educated on. There are some people who still believe that docs will "let you die" if they find out you are a donor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOVE this idea!

I was against it at first until I saw the benefits for those in need of them. Its one of those things you have to really be educated on. There are some people who still believe that docs will "let you die" if they find out you are a donor.

Those people are what science refers to as "retards".

Unless you have some religion that says missing body parts upon death precludes you from going to "paradise", you are a selfish prick for not being an organ donor.

"What's the last act of pure kindness I could partake in upon my death, I know, Organ donation. Fuck them, I ain't doing that."
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Free market?

Nope im suppose to give it away. Do docs and hospitals put the organs in for free? No? Why not?

View Quote

Lack of progressive revolutionary spirit.  Form submitted to local party chairperson.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not on my DL but I am in my will and my medical POA knows it. That way the people giving me treatment have no incentive to pull a plug on me and the organs get donated if I die.
View Quote

If my families heartache can turn into another families miracle, then so be it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lack of progressive revolutionary spirit.  Form submitted to local party chairperson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free market?

Now, im not militant about it, just my hypocrisy meter maxes out on this subject.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Now, im not militant about it, just my hypocrisy meter maxes out on this subject.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free market?

You mean it's hypocritical to refuse to pay someone for something (hell, agitate for laws making it illegal to pay for it) you will then turn around and use as feedstock in your for-profit business?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought this was about motorcycles.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those people are what science refers to as "retards".

Unless you have some religion that says missing body parts upon death precludes you from going to "paradise", you are a selfish prick for not being an organ donor.

"What's the last act of pure kindness I could partake in upon my death, I know, Organ donation. Fuck them, I ain't doing that."
View Quote

All the name-calling in this thread reminds me of how liberals act when others refuse to acquiesce to their point of view.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're so clever.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Donor here.  I no longer need my heart or any other organs once I'm room temperature.  You can have them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You mean it's hypocritical to refuse to pay someone for something (hell, agitate for laws making it illegal to pay for it) you will then turn around and use as feedstock in your for-profit business?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free market?

And then berate people  for it
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Donor here.  I no longer need my heart or any other organs once I'm room temperature.  You can have them.
View Quote

But the questions being argued in this thread are, do they really wait for you to get to room temp and/or do they help you get to room temp.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This and that.

How the heck could someone be against it? It's not like they need them after they die

I've donated bone marrow and I'll donate my organs after I'm gone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Absolutely.

If my parts can help a single person after I'm gone, I'm all for it.  What the fuck do I need it for at that point?

And the rest?  Cremate it, and send my closest family and friends on an adventure to leave the ashes someplace fun.   Burial is not just creepy, but one of the biggest wastes ever.   It's retarded expensive.  (Really?   a couple of thousand for a fucking coffin that's going to be filed with rotten meat and dumped in the ground?   Spend that money sending my family and friends on an adventure).  it's a waste of space.  Yeah... let's take up a 4x6 foot plot for the rest of eternity because I'm egotistical enough to think that my rotten remains should somehow warrant their own personal park.

Do I want to be remembered by some miserable tear-ridden ceremony where a bunch of piss-poor sad people stand around a hole in the ground, or do I want to be remembered by making the people who count happy, and maybe doing something good for someone, let alone something great by giving them some tissue that they desperately need?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#30]
When I donated a kidney, I got great drugs, good looking nurses and a friend for life... I could not ask for more...

Think about it.. You can save a life and make a friend for life also...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had to check my license. I didn't think I was a donor.

But since I am, you can have whatever you can scrape off the pavement.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Im will be if any one needs what I have.
My son was, I got a letter from the eye bank that he helped three people get their vision back.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can have whatever you want... Except my ass... The IRS owns that.
View Quote

You can give your heart to Jesus... but your ass belongs to the Corps! IRS!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks to the good folks at Yamaha, I'm sure someone will one day get my organs.

I expect my friends to make jokes like, "He lived the way he died.  Jamming his organ into a child/old man."
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Voters identification card indicating registered republican + organ donor... they aren't going to try and save me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Hi, all. Been lurking for years but only registered about a week ago. I've been waiting to bust the ol' Arfcom cherry on something worthy. It's also a bit intimidating posting here, as posters can be brutal to one another. Still, it's Halloween - Happy Halloween, everyone! - and Halloween is the best day to talk about harvesting people's organs. Right?

My state is an "opt-out" state with regard to organ donation, and that pisses me off. I feel that the gravity of organ donation is such that people should not automatically be added to the rosters when they get a DL; people should step forward to volunteer for this serious undertaking. Having your organs harvested, and passing them along to other living humans, is a big deal on so many levels, not the least of which is philosophical. Automatically checking you off as an organ donor is too intrusive, too nanny state-ish, given that the default "setting," if you will, is to share those organs with your fellow humans! No. No way. Blaise Pascal's quote about preferring his dog to people is spot on.

There are disquieting aspects to organ harvesting, as well. I can't remember who published the article to which I'm about to refer, but it's floating around the Interwebz somewhere. It's about how a small percentage of brain-dead organ donors exhibit all the classic signs of experiencing excruciating pain when their organs are being harvested. The percentage truly is small - 1%, IIRC - but I don't want to be one of those 1 percenters (har!) going through literal agony just so someone else can live. I'd rather die in peace.

So. There's my Arfcom cherry busted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in very good health.
my liver, kidneys, lungs, and heart could keep six other people ( or more; I think partial liver transplants ae done) alive, so why not?

maybe my brain could be transplanted into a brain-dead supermodel; then  I could masturbate to death.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to be a blood donor, but got disqualified by too many trips to Europe during mad cow years.

Now I'm an organ donor. Considering switching to donate whole body to med school for practice.  At my age (50+) I'm not sure if the organs would be used.

ETA:  To the person who said "hospitals charge for blood, so I'm not donating unless they pay me" (or similar sentiment), hospitals are not charging for the blood itself, but for the effort to safely store and handle it and deliver it into your veins.   My father-in-law had this attitude; could not believe that I would take 2+ hours of my time to do a platelet donation.  I never got paid, except in a huge amount of thanks from the folks at the blood center, who REALLY appreciated the sacrifice.  

P.S.  My dad lived a few extra years due to platelet infusions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I used to be a blood donor, but got disqualified by too many trips to Europe during mad cow years.

Now I'm an organ donor. Considering switching to donate whole body to med school for practice.  At my age (50+) I'm not sure if the organs would be used.

ETA:  To the person who said "hospitals charge for blood, so I'm not donating unless they pay me" (or similar sentiment), hospitals are not charging for the blood itself, but for the effort to safely store and handle it and deliver it into your veins.   My father-in-law had this attitude; could not believe that I would take 2+ hours of my time to do a platelet donation.  I never got paid, except in a huge amount of thanks from the folks at the blood center, who REALLY appreciated the sacrifice.  

View Quote

Huh.....

http://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/blood-money-what-you-didnt-know-about-your-blood-donation
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#42]
My 31 year old wife was just placed on dialysis after battling type 1 diabetes for 22 years, we are in the process of registration to get a kidney and pancrease transplant.........thank you donors.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned David Crosby yet. I must be getting old.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OK, we do this every month or so. Here I go again:

-I'm a perfectly healthy, very fit guy. Self employed. I have been priced out of the health insurance market. They just kept raising the premiums until, for any kind of real coverage, they want $900/month. So I'm out.
-Why? Because any FSA or Mexican illegal can walk into my local hospital and get whatever care they want, free. The hospital I pay property taxes for. And can't use. Somebody has to pay for that. The medical establishment elected me.
-Hospitals make out like bandits on transplant procedures
-Transplant surgeons are millionaires (good for them)
-If I need a transplant, I won't get it. Because I'm not FSA or an illegal, and I don't have the cash.

The Medical-Industrial complex has shut me out, because I can't pay to play, and I'm not a member of a privileged group. They don't get my body parts as raw materials for their profitable business.

View Quote

Now gentlemen, see, that...That right there is a well-reasoned, well thought out response to why not to be a donor.  

Being upset that a tissue bank asked ten minutes after death about the possibility is not.  Like another poster said, freshness counts.  If they sit around waiting for the kleenex to get used up, then a possible source of life-saving material has been lost.

From my perspective, if they can use it, they can have it.  I don't need it anymore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That is an absolute POS hit piece with NOTHING scandalous.  Of COURSE blood is sold.  Of COURSE it doesn't always stay local.  Do you want someone in the next county to die because there is no blood of there type locally, but you don't want a unit (or ten) fifty miles away to be sent there, "just because?"  

Of COURSE a unit or two is discarded.  If I donate today and get sick later today I'm asked to notify them immediately.  A fever means my donated unit gets tossed.  That's a BAD thing??  

What a shitty bit of "journalism."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh.....

http://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/blood-money-what-you-didnt-know-about-your-blood-donation

That is an absolute POS hit piece with NOTHING scandalous.  Of COURSE blood is sold.  Of COURSE it doesn't always stay local.  Do you want someone in the next county to die because there is no blood of there type locally, but you don't want a unit (or ten) fifty miles away to be sent there, "just because?"  

Of COURSE a unit or two is discarded.  If I donate today and get sick later today I'm asked to notify them immediately.  A fever means my donated unit gets tossed.  That's a BAD thing??  

What a shitty bit of "journalism."  

Just responding to the blood isn't sold post . I have zero problems with the free market .
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Yep, I'm not going to using them.  My liver probably won't do anyone any good, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone can take their pick but they'll be fairly worn out.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top