Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
After I am gone if there is anything that is useable go for it...

I have beaten this body pretty bad in the past 45 years...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Your poll left out "living organ donor"
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm registered as a donor, if my organs aren't needed for transplants they can use them for science or education.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a donor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just out of curiousity, why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a donor and never will be.  I'll be cremated, even if my organs are in perfect health when I die.

Just out of curiousity, why?

I don't agree with organ transplantation as it is implemented, and I decline to participate.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]

I'm not an organ donor and I don't donate blood.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Organ do or, donate blood, and on the marrow registry. You never know when you may need the gift of life, I only hope others are as generous as I try to be should I ever need something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Do they harvest bone marrow from the dead?
Other than my corneas, there isn't much they would want from me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I plan on donating everything except my eyes (they're not that good anyways) and the Docs will likely throw my liver out with the HAZMAT garbage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Both of us are.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]
No, but they are for sale once I'm dead.  However, selling them is illegal so I guess I'm taking them with me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, we do this every month or so. Here I go again:

-I'm a perfectly healthy, very fit guy. Self employed. I have been priced out of the health insurance market. They just kept raising the premiums until, for any kind of real coverage, they want $900/month. So I'm out.
-Why? Because any FSA or Mexican illegal can walk into my local hospital and get whatever care they want, free. The hospital I pay property taxes for. And can't use. Somebody has to pay for that. The medical establishment elected me.
-Hospitals make out like bandits on transplant procedures
-Transplant surgeons are millionaires (good for them)
-If I need a transplant, I won't get it. Because I'm not FSA or an illegal, and I don't have the cash.

The Medical-Industrial complex has shut me out, because I can't pay to play, and I'm not a member of a privileged group. They don't get my body parts as raw materials for their profitable business.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.
I agree with this sentiment.

It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under what circumstances would anyone possibly be against it?

Full disclosure:  I am a donor recipient.

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.
I agree with this sentiment.

It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.

No thank you. It should be a conscious decision and and one that people deliberately choose. Personal autonomy is God given and man does not have the right to speak for my or my family's wishes before, during, or after life.That said, I AM on record as being a donor and have been since I first heard about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]

My body would serve no purpose to me or my family if I was to die. Cut it up and help someone. It is amazing that transplants are even possible...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a firm belief that doctors don't try as hard to save organ donors.  Theirs little to nothing anybody could say to dissuade me from my opinion on that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not an organ donor. I'm not saving some FSA or other dipshit when I'm gone. They can suffer for all I care. If you could become an organ donor after death for family members or designated people only I would think about it.

Average dipshit off the street, fuck em.

I don't care if I get buried without my organs and I don't believe doctors will only save those who aren't organ donors or whatever else. I just don't feel like saving a huge portion of the population by chance.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They don't get my body parts as raw materials for their profitable business.
View Quote

The hospital and doctors make tons of money doing those transplants.  The recipient (and insurance) are paying that huge pile of money, but can't come up with anything at all for the donor's family.  That's messed up.  I won't give out freebies to support such greedy business models.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hope they rip every single piece of beneficial tissue out of my corpse.  I'm willing to bet that my heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. are useless based on my history of "self abuse".  But, if I have any thing usable, harvest and enjoy.
View Quote

Future generations of Obama voters thank you, there's a better than 50/50 chance that's who it goes to.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should

also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should

also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.

Great so not only do we have to give up everything in life now someone else has the right to our organs unless we opt out.

Good luck with that. The FSA just applied to someone elses body. Nice going. Entitlement at it's best.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You want my organs? Pay my estate. Otherwise, all parties involved in the extraction of the organs, and the transplant, must agree to provide their services, and facilities free of charge.
View Quote

I can mostly agree with this.  I don't think it is right that big profits made off of the generosity of a donor.  If that's how it is going to be then the donor's estate should be compensated.

With that said, I believe I am a donor.  I just checked my TXDL but it doesn't say anything about being a donor.  I could've sworn I was one though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  In my opinion, those who are not donor should be automatically restricted from receiving donated organs under any circumstance.  It should also be an "opt out" system and not opt in.  You should automatically be a donor when you are issued your drivers license unless you choose to opt out.
What if ones religion prohibits it?

Leave it as an opt in, not out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What about my proposal is communistic?  You have the right to opt out of the system and always will.  You just can't be a hypocrite and benefit from a system you opt out of.
View Quote
Since the organ transplants are not free, then why cant we as a capitalistic society buy the organs we need through the insurance we chose whether we are donors or not?

Capitalism and free market health care - dying more everyday on Arfcom since 2008

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I plan on donating everything except my eyes (they're not that good anyways) and the Docs will likely throw my liver out with the HAZMAT garbage.
View Quote
Even if they were good, why not?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Since the rogans are not free, then why cant we as a capitalistic society buy the organs we need through the innsurance we chose wther we are donors or not?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about my proposal is communistic?  You have the right to opt out of the system and always will.  You just can't be a hypocrite and benefit from a system you opt out of.
Since the rogans are not free, then why cant we as a capitalistic society buy the organs we need through the innsurance we chose wther we are donors or not?  

Capitalism, dying on Arfcom since 2008

Opt out? Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you? Like anyone else has "rights" to my organs unless I give them to them, not fukcing opt out of it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Opt out? Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you? Like anyone else has "rights" to my organs unless I give them to them, not fukcing opt out of it.

View Quote
Where did I say I would opt out?

I am an organ donor and I opted IN.   The way it should be. No one should have to opt out.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Of course.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a firm belief that doctors don't try as hard to save organ donors.  Theirs little to nothing anybody could say to dissuade me from my opinion on that.
View Quote

As an ICU nurse of ~ 20 years, you are wrong.  Doctors don't give a shit if you're an organ donor.  The organ donation people are not the same doctors.

Also, "theirs" is not the correct word.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I will. Someone is out there walking around with my dads eyes. kind of creepy but im glad it helped someone out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#29]
My goal in life has always been to help other people.

If I am going to die I might as well make it worthwhile and ensure that others get to live.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I got no problem with it in principal.  However I don't trust people enough to sign a doner card.

I don't want to go to the ER for a hang nail and turn up dead because some rich fucker who's bribing Dr's needs a liver...  I know its not supposed to happen that way but I say bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Of course I am, I'm not a selfish asshole.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are some people who still believe that docs will "let you die" if they find out you are a donor.

View Quote

Well it kinda happened to my sister at the age of 25 so...

Before the plug was even pulled they had a person ready to receive her organs.

Will not donate my organs or accept others if I may need them. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I've done a workup for donating a kidney...wasn't a match.

so yea, I have no problems being an organ donor..I plan on turning my body over to science after I die anyway. take what can be used and burn the rest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are some people who still believe that docs will "let you die" if they find out you are a donor.

There are stories of nurses killing patients for their sick shits and grins.  If you think there aren't Dr's just as sick or corrupt you don't understand how fucked up people are in this world.

I'm sure that 99% are honorable and wouldn't do such a thing but trust me they are out there and I'm not going to roll the dice and chance snake eyes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I am a donor. Ifnitmcan help someone after I have no use for them then by all means.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, how else do you think it works?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#37]
It's on my license, but I'm doing what I can to ensure that nothing's worth parting out when I go.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me put it to you this way. Sister, age 25. Never drank or smoke, damn near perfect little Christian girl. All she ever wanted in life was a husband, a house, and a child. She gets the first two, then has my niece on Oct 19th 9 years ago. Gets out of the hospital a week later. Goes back for a cist on her ovary. Remove cist. Here take this medication, oops it made you deathly ill, here take this, oops same thing with blood clots on top of that, take this, oops she had a stroke. On life support now but already brain dead. How convenient a guy in his 40s had been waiting on that perfect match for my sisters guts.

Me and my family sat at the hospital all day when she died on Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving fucking sucks now and it's worse every year. Her death almost pushed me over the edge. I'm better now but I'm very insensitive if someone passes, although I try not to be, it's just buried there inside me.

So take your smartass comments the fuck away from me, and lay there like a little troll on his death bed waiting for someone to gift him a team membership.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not an organ donor and I don't donate blood.

View Quote

Same here.

After having an unexplained bizarre rash during the first gulf war, the doctor advised me to never give blood or donate organs.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Of course I am, I'm not a selfish asshole.
View Quote

Your broad brush has shit all over it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#41]
yeah i dont see any reason against it if you are healthy and die accidentally might as well let someone have your mushy insides.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how it works. There are tons of tests that have to be run, logistics organized.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Doctors are dispassionate. If there is a good chance you won't make it, they have no qualms about giving up on you to provide organs to someone who is a sure bet. I'm sure it will grow worse in the coming Obamacare years.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Let me put it to you this way. Sister, age 25. Never drank or smoke, damn near perfect little Christian girl. All she ever wanted in life was a husband, a house, and a child. She gets the first two, then has my niece on Oct 19th 9 years ago. Gets out of the hospital a week later. Goes back for a cist on her ovary. Remove cist. Here take this medication, oops it made you deathly ill, here take this, oops same thing with blood clots on top of that, take this, oops she had a stroke. On life support now but already brain dead. How convenient a guy in his 40s had been waiting on that perfect match for my sisters guts.

Me and my family sat at the hospital all day when she died on Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving fucking sucks now and it's worse every year. Her death almost pushed me over the edge. I'm better now but I'm very insensitive if someone passes, although I try not to be, it's just buried there inside me.

So take your smartass comments the fuck away from me, and lay there like a little troll on his death bed waiting for someone to gift him a team membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just pointing out that that's how it works, there was no smartassery.  To successfully transplant an organ, they usually have someone lined up waiting and timing is of the essence.  Think of it this way - an organ donation can prevent another family from going through what yours had to go through, literally giving them the gift of life.  Many people whom are saved are eternally grateful to the donor's family.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not currently set up for it.  Nothing on my DL or anything.  Not because I'm against it.  I just haven't bothered to look into it.  But I will probably look into it soon, and become a donor.

My Mom was an eye donor, and from what I heard, her eyes were able to help 3 different people.  (No, she didn't have 3 eyes.  I'm really not sure how that works, to be honest.)

If you want to be a donor, be one.  If not, don't.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#46]
No. No assurances that it won't go to a druggie or criminal. Those people need to meet the ferryman.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
There are stories of nurses killing patients for their sick shits and grins.  If you think there aren't Dr's just as sick or corrupt you don't understand how fucked up people are in this world.

I'm sure that 99% are honorable and wouldn't do such a thing but trust me they are out there and I'm not going to roll the dice and chance snake eyes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To happen what you are suggesting would mean that multiple nurses, charge nurses, case managers, multiple doctors, and the harvest team are all in on it.  Not likely in the US.

Don't get sick in India though.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Doctors are dispassionate. If there is a good chance you won't make it, they have no qualms about giving up on you to provide organs to someone who is a sure bet. I'm sure it will grow worse in the coming Obamacare years.

View Quote

Thats weapons grade retarded.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No. No assurances that it won't go to a druggie or criminal. Those people need to meet the ferryman.
View Quote

They evaluate recipients and drug use, among other things (age, other terminal diseases, etc) would not impact chances for survival post-op.  I know a guy who needs a liver but past drug use has him way down the list.  He'll never get one before he dies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm just pointing out that that's how it works, there was no smartassery.  To successfully transplant an organ, they usually have someone lined up waiting and timing is of the essence.  Think of it this way - an organ donation can prevent another family from going through what yours had to go through, literally giving them the gift of life.  Many people whom are saved are eternally grateful to the donor's family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A fucking cist on her ovary and being an organ donor got my sister killed. The docs couldn't even give an explanation of her death. I would support organ donation if it worked like it should but my sister is living proof that it doesn't work that way.

This is her on her wedding day.

This is her daughter.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top