Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 11:15:01 PM EDT
All of a sudden a browser window opens up every time I start my Galaxy S5, displaying ads. And tonight I'm composing an email and a friggin ad for some game pops up at the bottom of my message pane!

WTF???

I installed Ad Block Plus on the phone a couple weeks ago, and it's obviously not stopping this new onslaught of ads. Do you other Samsung phone guys see this kind of thing happening? How do you stop it?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All of a sudden a browser window opens up every time I start my Galaxy S5, displaying ads. And tonight I'm composing an email and a friggin ad for some game pops up at the bottom of my message pane!

WTF???

I installed Ad Block Plus on the phone a couple weeks ago, and it's obviously not stopping this new onslaught of ads. Do you other Samsung phone guys see this kind of thing happening? How do you stop it?

View Quote

Apple
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Apple
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

I will say this - never happened on any of my iPhones.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Something you installed is causing it, probably the ad blocker LOL. Should have waited for the Nexus 6
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an S4 and I don't have anything like this. Def a junk app you d/l'ed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

Your not a female celebrity.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, have you installed any apps recently?  

have you run a malware program?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, have you installed any apps recently?  

have you run a malware program?

View Quote

Yep, I installed a solitaire app the other day. I'll try uninstalling and see if that does it. Update: no, it didn't change anything, despite a restart.

I'll look for malware apps in the play store and try that.

Thanks.

ETA: Ran MalwareBytes scan and it found nothing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#9]
You definitely downloaded whatever is happening.  User error.  Not the phone's fault.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One of the many reasons why iPhones are better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

One of the many reasons why iPhones are better.

Not sure if serious
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Something you installed is causing it, probably the ad blocker LOL. Should have waited for the Nexus 6
View Quote

So he can pay $650? The Nexus used to be a flagship spec phone at an affordable price. Now it's just like the rest of then. Meanwhile my OnePlus is pretty close spec wise for $350.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, you screwed something up. Delete any recently downloaded files, apps, etc. Go check and see if any suspicious apps or programs are hogging a lot of CPU.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

Never happened on any Android phone I've had. Ever.

You did something or installed something that caused this. This is not an Android issue, this is a user issue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You did something or installed something that caused this. This is not an Android issue, this is a user issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

Not denying that, although I can't figure out what it was. RanMmalwareBytes and it found nothing. I'll keep trying.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
For Android, I like Sophos Security.  You can find it in the Play Store, and it is free.

It scans applications for malicious permissions regularly.  It also has some nice features like phone location, remote lock, and tracking the phone or setting off an alarm if you send a text with a passphrase you have set.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#16]
If that happened out of nowhere on my S5 I'd throw it against the wall and go back to Apple. Hasn't happened yet, so here the phone sits.

Sorry for piling on, OP, but

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep

Happening when I visit a local news site with my S4

The only new apps I've downloaded are two dash cam apps

I'm going to Uninstall them and see if that fixes it
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

Never happened on my S5 either.  Pics of S5 of GTFO! LOL
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#20]
"Brave Frontier" game download pops up in my browser in what looks like a Google Play webpage
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

It does on mine, on ads from arfcom no less!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like you need to do a factory reset, and start paying more attention to what apps you install.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Last week I was at a conference at NASA and several of the topics pertained to computer security.

The one lecturer noted that Android seemed to be made for MalWare.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have an S4 and I don't have anything like this. Def a junk app you d/l'ed.
View Quote

Yea me neither. S4 mini here.   Will get a spam message once a week though.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Are you talking about up in the notification bar by the clock?  If so, tap and hold the notification, go to 'app info'.  You can uninstall the offending app or block it from displaying stuff there.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#26]
iphone
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF???

Apple

I don't believe you, unless you have jail broken the phone and installed a new OS.   additionally, I would have a hard time believing that arfcom admins were advertising in that manner.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#28]
UPDATE:

I've run MalwareBytes for malware and Avast for viruses, with nothing detected in either case.

It happens there is a Samsung Service Center near me, so I dropped by this morning. They said a reflash is the only way to fix it.

I'm now making sure everything I have is backed up, since the reflash will wipe the phone and return it to "factory new" condition. the wife S5 had to be reflashed 2 weeks ago when it started acting up ... that's a reflash needed on both phones after only 90 days.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
go to settings --> apps --> slide over to "running."  Is there anything there that doesn't look like a system app or something you wanted?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking about switching from apple to a note 4.  But I don't have time for ANY of that kind of crap.  My iPhone 5 may be boring to me but it has never done anything that required a ride to the store or needed to be wiped out.

My mother in law just got an S4 Samsung and I really have enjoyed playing with it.  But if you have to deal with malware?  Are you kidding me?  Virus on a phone???

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Malware on Android??!?! How strange...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was thinking about switching from apple to a note 4.  But I don't have time for ANY of that kind of crap.  My iPhone 5 may be boring to me but it has never done anything that required a ride to the store or needed to be wiped out.

My mother in law just got an S4 Samsung and I really have enjoyed playing with it.  But if you have to deal with malware?  Are you kidding me?  Virus on a phone???

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Patrick
View Quote

But the Android fans keep harping about how their open ecosystem is so much better. Do a web search for "android malware" or "mobile malware" and read up on it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Patrick
View Quote

If you're not downloading BS apps, you really have nothing to worry about.

It's like saying "OMG!  That guy blew his big toe off while cleaning his gun?  I don't have time for that!  No guns for me!".  Operator error.  That's all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top