Donate here!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Response in PA due Tomorrow....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nolo how are the two plaintiffs holding up. They haven't drawn the attention of the anties yet I hope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Soooon.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman1985:

http://i.imgur.com/p9YNBVs.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Soooon.....

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Loremsk:

Soooon.....

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Soon_635dc9_4823588.jpg

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

Using a DIAS would be building a separate machinegun.  I'm pretty sure the lower got a hole drilled through it.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Originally Posted By d16man:
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
How nice of a mill and drill job did he do on the lower?  

If he had one of the FN made PSA SC lowers, then it was all ready except for the 3rd hole....If he used a DIAS.  

Using a DIAS would be building a separate machinegun.  I'm pretty sure the lower got a hole drilled through it.  

If this is the PA gun that's the one I heard about, the third hole was machined and a real M-16 FCG was installed.  Not a DIAS gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By MattEbert87:
Interestingly enough, it doesn't.  The Miller ruling claims that since it wasn't a militia weapon that wasn't protected under the Second Amendment, they didn't need to define the Second Amendment as a militia nor individual right.  Therefore it left the door open for the individual right as ruled in Heller, so applying the two rulings, an individual has the constitutional right to bear any militia grade weapon.  

Miller defines militia weapons as being protected under the Second Amendment.

Heller defines the Second Amendment as an individual right.

So one defines the subject, individuals, the other defines the object, militia weapons.  Together it means, individuals have the right to militia weapons (read as military weapons) under the Second Amendment and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattEbert87:

Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

But with the heller ruling saying that they are for individuals and  not milita, doesn't that make the argument "mute"?

Interestingly enough, it doesn't.  The Miller ruling claims that since it wasn't a militia weapon that wasn't protected under the Second Amendment, they didn't need to define the Second Amendment as a militia nor individual right.  Therefore it left the door open for the individual right as ruled in Heller, so applying the two rulings, an individual has the constitutional right to bear any militia grade weapon.  

Miller defines militia weapons as being protected under the Second Amendment.

Heller defines the Second Amendment as an individual right.

So one defines the subject, individuals, the other defines the object, militia weapons.  Together it means, individuals have the right to militia weapons (read as military weapons) under the Second Amendment and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court.

Actually, they didn't even rule THAT.  What they RULED was that the lower court erred in just automatically assuming that a short-barreled shotgun was of utility to the militia and hence protected under the Second Amendment, and remanded the case back to that court for further proceedings.  But, as noted, Miller was dead, his accomplice plead out to something else, so we're left with a decision that the _Heller_ court admits has significant flaws and does not meet current standards for jurisprudence, but which has been miscited by numerous lower courts in upholding infringements upon our rights.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MikeSearson:

This, but I could see the Supremes shooting down Hughes.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
Originally Posted By SlayerofFudds:
Win at one of the Court of Appeals. The government's petition for certiorari (meaning they were the loser at the lower court) would make it substantially likely SCOTUS would take the case for a variety of reasons. The principle reason is that the decision would be a change in the status quo and potentially have national impact despite the geographical boundaries of the Circuit Court of Appeals.  

How do you think Roberts will vote?  

Don't know.  Assuming they take it I'll cop out and say a plurality decision upholding the NFA with no clear reasoning.  

I see the Supremes refusing to take the case and letting stand a lower court ruling that strikes down Hughes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FlyingGorilla:

I see the Supremes refusing to take the case and letting stand a lower court ruling that strikes down Hughes.
View All Quotes
Win at one of the Court of Appeals. The government's petition for certiorari (meaning they were the loser at the lower court) would make it substantially likely SCOTUS would take the case for a variety of reasons. The principle reason is that the decision would be a change in the status quo and potentially have national impact despite the geographical boundaries of the Circuit Court of Appeals.  

Don't know.  Assuming they take it I'll cop out and say a plurality decision upholding the NFA with no clear reasoning.  

Anyone else this waits until After 2016 and Ginsberg is not there?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Depending on the Courts, this case may not be at the appellate level until 2016. The best case scenario would be that Ginsberg holds on another two years, a Conservative not RINO gets into office, and we get a Conservative justice on the bench who can make up for Kennedy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:39:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Top_Secret] [#14]

View All Quotes

That would cause a certain region of the US to be allowed to register MGs and the rest of the country wouldn't. I can't really see it going down like that. ATF would refuse to accept registrations from anyone outside of that district.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Top_Secret:

That would cause a certain region of the US to be allowed to register MGs and the rest of the country wouldn't. I can't really see it going down like that. ATF would refuse to accept registrations from anyone outside of that district.
View Quote

Yeah 14th Amendment Dangerzone?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:59:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SlayerofFudds] [#16]
Originally Posted By TheRealPaGunner:
Depending on the Courts, this case may not be at the appellate level until 2016. The best case scenario would be that Ginsberg holds on another two years, a Conservative not RINO gets into office, and we get a Conservative justice on the bench who can make up for Kennedy.
View Quote

I rarely wish death but when a member of the Supreme Court says we need to apply the rulings of Alien Nations and their courts to our own you can only come to 3 outcome of people that say and would do such things.

1. They do not value America, her people, her culture ore the Constitution.
2. They wish to remake a nation already made into the image of a weaker and less nation.
3.,They hate America, and want to do everything in their power to do as much damage as to destroy everything that makes her great.

I want her to live a long time.

Can not wait for the ruling.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GuardianAgent:

Read the Obamacare opinion carefully.  NFA is all based on the Commerce Clause.  Roberts has already stated his opinion on how Congress has utilized the Commerce Clause.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:

Read the Heller opinion carefully.
The answer to your question is there.

Read the Obamacare opinion carefully.  NFA is all based on the Commerce Clause.  Roberts has already stated his opinion on how Congress has utilized the Commerce Clause.

The NFA is a tax statute. It is not based on the commerce clause.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]

I can not get the feeling he will screw us over..
View All Quotes

Have you read the opinion? Do you understand it?

What does it say is the "...central component..." of the Second Amendment?
How do the regulations imposed by the NFA relate to that "... central component ..."? Do they impair the ability of Americans with respect to that "central component..."?
CJ Roberts assigned the case and voted for the opinion. These questions are the keys to answering the question of how he will vote.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#20]

How do the regulations imposed by the NFA relate to that "... central component ..."? Do they impair the ability of Americans with respect to that "central component..."?
CJ Roberts assigned the case and voted for the opinion. These questions are the keys to answering the question of how he will vote.
View All Quotes

I have not read them..I am sorry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#21]

I really hope that was photo shopped..
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#22]

soon as like rape sloth soon?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

No need to be sorry. Most people have not read it and yet they believe they know what it says.
Read the opinion. Find out what it says about the " ... central component ..." of the Second Amendment. Then ask yourself the other questions.
When you get the answers you'll be miles ahead of many people when it comes to answering the question of how he would vote if these cases ever reached the court.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#25]

No need to be sorry. Most people have not read it and yet they believe they know what it says.
Read the opinion. Find out what it says about the " ... central component ..." of the Second Amendment. Then ask yourself the other questions.
When you get the answers you'll be miles ahead of many people when it comes to answering the question of how he would vote if these cases ever reached the court.
View All Quotes

In your opinion do you think he will hold to that opinion?

I hate to ask for a link to them but could you give me one to his opinion?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

NFA, as amended, is both.  The Hughes Amendment is not a tax.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

+1. I'd like to go through that also.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

The NFA is a tax statute which is why it is codified in Title 26.
The Hughes amendment is not part of the NFA, which is why it is not codified in Title 26.

It's impossible to take people seriously when they haven't even read the statutes on which they are giving opinions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Finnbear:

View All Quotes

It's not CJ Robert's opinion.
It's the opinion in Heller.

He assigned the case to Justice Scalia to draft the opinion. He voted for the decision.

If he did not agree with Heller it would have been drafted differently.
Therefore, the opinion in Heller is the key to how he would vote.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Speaking of, since when was the DoJ entrusted with tax collection powers?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Has this one been used yet?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The DOJ was empowered by Congress to collect NFA taxes when it transferred BATF to DOJ.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#33]

He assigned the case to Justice Scalia to draft the opinion. He voted for the decision.

View All Quotes

I don't think an opinion a particular justice agreed with is necessarily indicative of how they would rule on a different issue.  It might provide a clue.  But that is the only thing it might provide.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#34]

The DOJ was empowered by Congress to collect NFA taxes when it transferred BATF to DOJ.
View All Quotes

Huh, fair enough. Got a link of the exact section by any chance? My googlefu apparently is inversely related to my insomnia state.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#35]

I don't think an opinion a particular justice agreed with is necessarily indicative of how they would rule on a different issue.  It might provide a clue.  But that is the only thing it might provide.  
View Quote

He's the CJ.
So long as he is in the majority he assigns the opinion for drafting.
If he doesn't agree with the opinion it never sees the light of day, or at best shows up as a concurring opinion rather than as the decision.
In extreme cases, he changes his vote and the opinion originally drafted as the decision becomes a dissenting opinion.

If he didn't agree with the analysis in Heller it would not have been the decision of the court. Figure out how Heller applies to these cases and you have figured out how he would vote.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Huh, fair enough. Got a link of the exact section by any chance? My googlefu apparently is inversely related to my insomnia state.
View All Quotes

IIRC the transfer was done at the time of the government reorganization which brought us the DHS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#37]

He's the CJ.
If he doesn't agree with the opinion it never sees the light of day, or at best shows up as a concurring opinion rather than as the decision.
In extreme cases, he changes his vote and the opinion originally drafted as the decision becomes a dissenting opinion.

If he didn't agree with the analysis in Heller it would not have been the decision of the court. Figure out how Heller applies to these cases and you have figured out how he would vote.
View All Quotes

He's the CJ.

Your legal analysis is far too simplistic and I note that you have been deliberately vague in answering the question of how he would vote.  Those are two traits of lawyers that tend to annoy lay people the most.  

So answer it directly:  How would Roberts vote?  Give us his reason and rationale reader of tea leaves.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Your legal analysis is far too simplistic and I note that you have been deliberately vague in answering the question of how he would vote.  Those are two traits of lawyers that tend to annoy lay people the most.  

So answer it directly:  How would Roberts vote?  Give us his reason and rationale reader of tea leaves.  

View All Quotes

He's the CJ.

Have you read the questions I posed?
Have you determined what the opinion holds to be the " ... central concept ..."  of the Second Amendment?
Have you attempted to apply that "...central concept..." to the questions raised in these cases?

If you haven't managed to properly analyze the opinion yourself, you're in no position to render a judgment on whether my analysis is "simplistic". Any analysis is far beyond what you have even attempted.
I invite everyone to read the opinion carefully with my original questions in mind and to reach their own conclusions.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

READ IT PEOPLE. Scalia is leaving the door open for self defense arguments.  POLY has a valid point.

It is therefore entirely sensible that the Second Amendment’s
prefatory clause announces the purpose for which
the right was codified: to prevent elimination of the militia.
The prefatory clause does not suggest that preserving
the militia was the only reason Americans valued the
ancient right; most undoubtedly thought it even more
important for self-defense and hunting. But the threat
that the new Federal Government would destroy the
citizens’ militia by taking away their arms was the reason
that right—unlike some other English rights—was codified
in a written Constitution.
JUSTICE BREYER’s assertion
that individual self-defense is merely a "subsidiary
interest” of the right to keep and bear arms, see post, at
36, is profoundly mistaken. He bases that assertion solely
upon the prologue—but that can only show that selfdefense
had little to do with the right’s codification; it was
the central component of the right itself.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankDrebin] [#41]

Have you read the questions I posed?
Have you determined what the opinion holds to be the " ... central concept ..."  of the Second Amendment?
Have you attempted to apply that "...central concept..." to the questions raised in these cases?

If you haven't managed to properly analyze the opinion yourself, you're in no position to render a judgment on whether my analysis is "simplistic". Any analysis is far beyond what you have even attempted.
I invite everyone to read the opinion carefully with my original questions in mind and to reach their own conclusions.  
View Quote

That's all just more non-answers.  I have clearly stated I don't have the ability to predict how a particular Justice would rule on a different issue.  There is not enough data points and certainly not enough to know how he would rule based upon an opinion he did not author.  

So why not just answer the question directly?

Edited:  It boils down to the fact that you are alluding to having some keen insight on how Roberts would rule, but only willing to leave bread crumbs.  You are doing so for plausible deniability in the even lightening strikes and SCOTUS does in fact review this issue and Roberts does not decide the case as you predicted.  Why not just be intellectually honest and say you have no idea how he would rule.  You could even hedge by stating that even Justices of the United States Supreme Court can reach intellectually dishonest opinions in order reach a result even if it is seemingly inconsistent with prior decisions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Bflamante:

READ IT PEOPLE.  

Thank You
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Bflamante:

READ IT PEOPLE. Scalia is leaving the door open for self defense arguments.  POLY has a valid point.

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']It is therefore entirely sensible that the Second Amendment’sprefatory clause announces the purpose for whichthe right was codified: to prevent elimination of the militia.The prefatory clause does not suggest that preservingthe militia was the only reason Americans valued theancient right; most undoubtedly thought it even moreimportant for self-defense and hunting. But the threatthat the new Federal Government would destroy thecitizens’ militia by taking away their arms was the reasonthat right—unlike some other English rights—was codifiedin a written Constitution. JUSTICE BREYER’s assertionthat individual self-defense is merely a "subsidiaryinterest” of the right to keep and bear arms, see post, at36, is profoundly mistaken. He bases that assertion solelyupon the prologue—but that can only show that selfdefensehad little to do with the right’s codification; it wasthe central component of the right itself.

View Quote

Breyer is a tool.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Lunchtime bump.

Donate here!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Nolo, where is the update?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#46]
What is the response in PA like?

Any previews?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Any previews?
View Quote
I believe it's due today, so you can probably read it in a few hours.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Any previews?
View Quote
It will probably look almost exactly like the other one with some added verbiage about the confiscated MG.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#50]

When you get the answers you'll be miles ahead of many people when it comes to answering the question of how he would may possibly vote if these cases ever reached the court.
View All Quotes

When you get the answers you'll be miles ahead of many people when it comes to answering the question of how he would may possibly vote if these cases ever reached the court.

FIFY.

Predicting some votes on the USSC is akin to fortune telling.  Some Justices you can presume will be on our side, some (Ginsburg especially) you can count on to be wrong consistently.  Roberts and Kennedy... toss up.  I'd like to think that they base their decisions on the arguments actually presented, but Roberts's Obungocare opinion throws a wrench into that line of thinking.
Page / 224
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top