Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How'd that go?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought I could land an F4 that was on fire.  

How'd that go?

Splattered it on the runway and slid 6,000' in a pile of junk.

Thank you for your tax dollars.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd that go?

pics?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Killed a client's cat by giving it too much anesthetic
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I dropped a wrench down this really expensive thing at it took a really long time to get it out. When we got it out the boss fired me, so I dropped the wrench back down the really expensive thing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I dropped a wrench down this really expensive thing at it took a really long time to get it out. When we got it out the boss fired me, so I dropped the wrench back down the really expensive thing.

View Quote

Hey, I read about you in several threads on here, posted by several different people. You must be popular.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, there are some amazing fuckups in this thread!  I feel much better about some of my near career-enders now!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
mistakenly called 911 on my first day at a job trying to call long distance

Tried to remote bounce a port on a Cisco switch (shut, no shut) when the router was connected through that port. Basically took the store down until I found someone's cell phone number in an old ticket to call.

Blew a halon bottle in an Abrams by rotating the turret and forgetting I had not bolted some screen guards back in place between the turret and hull. Guards got bent to hell and snagged a halon bottle discharge linkage. A $5000 mistake that deadlined the tank. Oops.

At least I wasn't the guy who forget he dropped a bolt into the airbox outlet right where the turbine engine inlet fits into thus completely destroying an AGT1500 Abrams engine. 18 years later I bet that guy can still feel the damage to his asshole.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Knocked over an entire pallet of eggs in the dairy cooler.   Wow, that was a mess. . . .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tried to remote bounce a port on a Cisco switch (shut, no shut) when the router was connected through that port. Basically took the store down until I found someone's cell phone number in an old ticket to call.
View Quote

(config-if) # do reload in 1
Reload scheduled in 1 minute by console
Proceed with reload? [confirm]
(config-if) # shut
(config-if) # no shut
(config-if) # do reload cancel
*** — SHUTDOWN ABORTED —
(config-if) #

Learned that one the hard way, myself.

I do the above whenever I'm working on a device I'm not local to, where there's even the slightest possibility that I could make it inaccessible from where I'm at (like working on interfaces).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd that go?

pics?

My ex took them. Probably in a landfill somewhere. I still have the tailhook point. Too heavy for her to lift.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
During a remodel, I moved a ladies china cabinet by myself because my lazy ass co-worker couldn't be found (smoke break...again)
Didn't realize it was a two piece, top and bottom

Top tipped over, crashed to the ground and all 4 shelves of every piece of irreplaceable heirloom china and leaded crystal stem wear broke into a million pieces

She took it like a champ though and the companies insurance paid her (how much I don't know, in the thousands I'm sure)

I kept my job surprisingly, but the guilt and embarrassment of that incident had me looking for another job soon after that
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(config-if) # shut
(config-if) # no shut
*** — SHUTDOWN ABORTED —
(config-if) #

I do the above whenever I'm working on a device I'm not local to, where there's even the slightest possibility that I could make it inaccessible from where I'm at (like working on interfaces).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(config-if) # shut
(config-if) # no shut
*** — SHUTDOWN ABORTED —
(config-if) #

I do the same thing on remote linux machines when changing firewall settings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an exploration team and their rig working for me on contract on a gold mine, I gave them a dated copy of the drilling plan and they ended up drilling an exploration hole in the wrong direction.

It still hit mine-able grade gold ore, I was not fired.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I pulled the hot "on-the-air" synchronous signal amplifier out of the approach radar stack about ten minutes after sunset in the Persian Gulf while an aircraft was in the pattern landing.

Thankfully the guy on the stick was the squadron skipper and he landed just fine but it was risky.

The reason is long and complex but I was told by a whole string of people and shown on a diagram (that was wrong) that the sync amp wasn't on-line. They hadn't done maintenance on the thing so all four indicator bulbs were all blown. They got two different amplifiers mixed up and didn't know which was which. They had blown one in the primary stack so they were on the secondary stack ... and told me I could salvage an unused dark amp over there in the corner. I went to work pulling it out - that was the secondary stack's and was busy running the glide slope. Apparently one of the hardest times to land is minutes after sunset as the aircraft are flying around in the sunlight at altitude and come down into the earth's shadow to land on the rolling/pitching running deck of the carrier.

I could have killed someone - or a bunch of someone's - and destroyed the aircraft too. I could have killed the four or five people that I was helping who told me and then proved to me in their crappy documentation that the amp was out-of-service.
View Quote

That's...that's a biggun'.

Any lessons learned?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I got stuck a few times
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
recommended, no, advocated for what turned out to be a bad hire.

Other than that, not putting the cover on my TPS reports.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Worked in an exhibit shop. Needed five different signs made.
Order said five of each. Got 25 rather expensive signs instead of 5.
I got a pass because on the day it happened my boss' husband crippled some kid

He had built a table mounted press to emboss kid's "passports" for the zoo exhibit we were building.
He didn't follow my drawing and left all the guards off. 1st kid to try it put her paper in the press and her dad bashed it, taking her fingertip off.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I cut time fuse a little too short.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I transported a Sexually Violent Predator to a Doctors appointment. Unfortunately it was a day earlier than it was supposed to be!!! Yes I made it through the Sallie Port/security no questions asked!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I transported a Sexually Violent Predator to a Doctors appointment. Unfortunately it was a day earlier than it was supposed to be!!! Yes I made it through the Sallie Port/security no questions asked!!!
View Quote

I'll bet procedures were updated pretty quick after that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I can relate to the database screwups.  I deleted a years worth of financial transactions from a live database and retrieved them from a backup in the span of about 10 minutes.  No one else noticed. :)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Tripped a switch that took the whole data center floor down.

IT folks were unpleased.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tripped a switch that took the whole data center floor down.

IT folks were unpleased.
View Quote

The big red EPO button makes the loudest silence in the world.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb shits acted like nothing happened. I had to force them to make changes. It was a good thing in the long run as security had become far too lax.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Shut down a multi million dollar manufacturing process for a few days. Wasn't my screw up, but I was the one who hit the big red button. I saw the valves lining up and hit it before about $10mil of product went down the drain. Automation engineers who wrote that got canned for falsifying documentation IIRC.

Not a professional mistake, but built a motor for a friends racecar after the current one let go. Ran break in oil and took it to the dyno. New motor let go on the dyno, windowed the block, because of a mistake I made. The part that butters my bread is that I freaking knew better than to do what I did that caused the failure. Block wasn't salveagable, but other parts were, so I paid for necessary parts and did the tune for free.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Bent spear.

Do I win? :(

True story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Okay... Actual answer? I may or may not have accidently added 250mls of HF to a bath instead of 250mls of H3P03...

But I know how to fix shit like that because Chemist.
View Quote

What did you pour it from?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Hiring my brother in law.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Bent spear.

True story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I was doing a rear main seal on a crv,   Bolting the trans back up , the torque converter wasent all the way seated.     Ended up cracking the engine block.    That cost me 3 days of work.    Customer got a new engine free of charge.    Never will make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I solicit commercial loan business for a bank.  I made a $5 million loan to a businessman I had known for years.  He committed fraud and took my bank for $4 million.  I am still employed by this bank. The fraud was amazingly complex and involved a third party.  We will recover a good portion of the loss but it will take years.  I am about ready to retire, I have done this since '78 and I have to say this was the most difficult period of my career.  It about killed me, when the initial legal bs was over and I could go home, I went to a cardiologist and had a catherization test and had 4 stents installed.  Moral of the story; do not ever ignore chest pain or gut feelings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#35]
In front of a lot of people, argued with a high paid outside consultant that was favored by many in management.  Wasn't fired but it was a career killer that had me at a new job soon thereafter. Sometimes being correct isn't enough, you also have to keep your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bent spear.

True story.
View Quote

What part did you play in that little drama?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#37]
1.7 miles horizontal and about 700 feet vertical between an FK27 and a BE58. Should have been at least 3 miles or 1000 feet minimum.

Not really all that close and neither of them even knew it but.....

Took a few years off my life for sure
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think my most memorable was tripping on a floor tile and breaking off the fiber on a oc-48

View Quote

Lol... wasn't my screw up (someone in our department); but our crew repaired it.
Someone cleared a contractor to cut a small fiber optic line and remove about a half mile of cable, 286 10 gig circuits went down for about 6 hours.

My biggest was a miss understanding of a pathway that brought down "hard" a pathway to "the cloud" which rippled the servers for about a week. Cost estimates after all the meetings were in the lower 6 figures. <my bad>

I'm so lucky, I've cut cables in Corpus that've brought down people in Dallas.
(Un)fortunately it is part of my job duties.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd that go?

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I cut time fuse a little too short.
View Quote

Nothing like hearing the boom while on the way to the safe area. What was your pucker factor?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Bradley rollover.

Fucking driver fell asleep and drove us into a huge hole. I happened to be scanning to our 9 at the time, and hadn't looked to our 12 for a few minutes.

All three of us got to stand outside the track, pulling security for about 30 minutes until a dismount squad came out to help secure the area.  Took the 88 and a Hercules 3 hours to get the track out of the hole.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Ripped through a 20" water main with a directional boring machine on an AF base.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Did'nt see the little Miata.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
you win probably

I once buried a d9L up to the final drive but wasn't really my fault was a squishy void underneath

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting Hired?

you win probably

I once buried a d9L up to the final drive but wasn't really my fault was a squishy void underneath

Yeah nobody knows what you're talking about

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting Hired?

you win probably

I do, but I can google keywords
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd that go?

It was on fire. It was going to be junk no matter what you did.

Ejecting may have made it junk in someone's roof.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#47]
A36 is not the same as A572-50.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting Hired?

you win probably

I do without googling key words
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Hired the wife
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I sent out a load of hazordous material with no paperwork. They blamed it on the higher ups not scheduling the loads properly.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top