Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 2:42:51 PM EDT
I had hijacked another mauser thread to discuss the M1916 Spanish Mauser in 7.62x51

I started this thread to continue the discussion and cease the hijack in that thread.

I will post pics here when I get mine.

Here is a vid of one in the meantime.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Is commercial 7.62x51 the same as surplus 7.62x51?

Pressures the same, etc?

I see Academy has some commercial 7.62x51 for sale I would like to try with this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is commercial 7.62x51 the same as surplus 7.62x51?

View Quote

Pressures the same, etc?

I see Academy has some commercial 7.62x51 for sale I would like to try with this.
Seems so. I shoot Winchester, AE, ZQI commercial 7.62 Nato.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
White laboratories did some testing of these exact actions with 7.62x51 barrels. With good results.

Someone will be along shortly to say it's chambered 7.62 cetme. It's a myth that just won't die.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

White laboratories did some testing of these exact actions with 7.62x51 barrels. With good results.

Someone will be along shortly to say it's chambered 7.62 cetme. It's a myth that just won't die.
View Quote
Yup.  Same ol, same ol.  Don't forget that people will bitch about CUP vs. PSI, while not having an idea WTH they're talking about, while conveniently ignoring the HP White lab tests proving it has to be DOUBLE LOADED to have issues.

I have one, OP.  Front barrel band keeps coming loose after about 5 rounds.  Speaking of which--anyone have a good idea how to fix that?

But one of these rifles was my first gun, many years ago.  No pics are handy.  I've toyed with pseudo-scout-ifying the damn thing using the template provided in the "scale of 1 to 1911 Scout rifle" thread, but it just seems sacriligeous to screw with your "first" gun.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If they are Samco imports that look newly refurbed don't buy blind. I've see two with deep blued-over pitting under the wood.

One was clearly unsafe and I parted it out. It had a spot of pitting on the barrel about the size of a eraser-head and almost into the bore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Wear good eye pro, and have fun!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep...this myth can get lumped in with:
All Spanish guns are proto-Glock grenades
1903 Springfields with low numbers shouldn't be shot as even blanks can blow them up
French rifles have only been dropped once
All Mosins are at best $7.99 bargain bin guns for combloc serfs
Only documented, papered, and personally captured Mausers are acceptable.  Has to be German made however
Italian weapons have the qualities of French and Spanish arms

(Feel free to add to these myths)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
This isn't a FR8?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This isn't a FR8?
View Quote
No.  No fake gas system.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to Wallyworld down the street and asked if they have 7.62x51

Guy tried to sell me 7.62x39 and told me there is no such thing as 7.62x51.

I will try Academy tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wear good eye pro, and have fun!
View Quote

Yup..... these don't have the '98 style gas-venting in the bolt......they did however cut a small port in the (l) of the receiver......a ruptured primer or some case-head issues could ruin your day
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No.  No fake gas system.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This isn't a FR8?
No.  No fake gas system.  

This the one the FR7 was made from?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I had one.  It was always the last firearm I would shoot when I took it to the range.  Kicked like a mule.  But the frustrating part was the cleaning rod.  I has to be in place to hold the front piece of the stock in place.  The trouble was that it was always working loose and it would walk out of it's channel.  A groove around the rod holds it it place against a piece of spring steel.  While firing it, it would always come loose so I had to keep putting it back in place.  

Very loud too.  The only Mauser that I ever owned that I did not like firing.  Pretty accurate but I would never take it out into the field as I didn't want to lose the cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been reading a lot about ammo in these things.

I guess the thing is, Samco has been selling these since the late 90s.

If they are as dangerous as the internet makes them out to be, surely Samco would have been sued out of existence by now if someone was actually injured shooting one, given the legal climate in this country.

I will stick to 7.62x51 instead of .308, but I am not overly concerned about shooting one.

I won't be putting 1000s of rounds through it anyways. I have too many other firearms to play with.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll take one in 7X57 please.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll take one in 7X57 please.
View Quote

Same here......

To quote from Ronin......"When there is doubt, there is no doubt"

I don't want my shooting experience distracted by the .0000001% chance that I might wear my rifle home (or to the hospital)

Find a mild, accurate load to feed it.....not whatever is the cheapest......
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one in 7 X 57 and it still kicks like a mule and roars like a howitzer.  The steel butt plate makes it brutal.  I can imagine how tough those guys were to fire them all day, every day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought one of these back when they were first imported. Fired a few rounds, put it in the safe, then decided to "sporterize" it. Took the sights off, removed the upper guard, barrel bands (and lost them).
I have iron sights for it, haven't installed them. Bought some bloodwood and, ebony wood, for a forecap (can't decide which wood to use).

The ugly part is the old solder that's still on the rear of the barrel.

Haven't had much motivation to keep working on it. Just now and then.

I have no problem with using .308 in it. A basic hunting rifle is what it is. 150 grain bullets should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Mosin 91/30, does the M1916 kick about the same with 762x51?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This isn't a FR8?
No.  No fake gas system.  

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Well this got to me, I have a hard time saying no to inexpensive C&Rs with free shipping.

Ordered an M1916 and a yugo M24/47
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Even if you are 'overloading' the action, those rifles will give you plenty of notice if you actually are.
They don't just suddenly detonate into a mass of faceraping shards. You'll know well before it even gets close to that point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No.  No fake gas system.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This isn't a FR8?
No.  No fake gas system.  

Cleaning kit...not fake gas system......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]

In for the win with some FR8 love...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag, or in other words I ordered one...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is a video I found on Samco American rifleman did, can't find it on youtube though

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have one in 7 X 57 and it still kicks like a mule and roars like a howitzer.  The steel butt plate makes it brutal.  I can imagine how tough those guys were to fire them all day, every day.
View Quote

Truth.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Ordered 200 rounds of this to use in it.

Didn't really want to buy that much but shipping was the same on a couple boxes.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Truth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

Rubber buttplates can be worse... *cough*No. 5*cough*.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Truth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

FR-8 doesn't bother me at all.  I think the shape makes a difference.  The smaller the surface area or the more curved it is, the worse it feels.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#31]
This kid laughs at you guys saying it kicks like a mule.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This kid laughs at you guys saying it kicks like a mule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Oiwizbj-c

View Quote

That is obviously reduced recoil ammo he's shooting.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Any thoughts about doing something like this to one?

Lyman rear, M1 Carbine front sight.  I'm toying with doing something similar to mine, and possibly ordering a nice wood stock for a small ring mauser--possibly Boyds, with the extra money for a forend cap (to make it not be a shitty sporter job on the original milspec stock).

Source:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?213173-Finish-sporterizing-a-spanish-mauser&p=2811737&viewfull=1#post2811737

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a original 1916 in 7mm mauser
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I have one and I shoot the blue plastic ammo in it and it works great!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Scout%20Rifle%20Project/Finished.jpg

Lyman rear, M1 Carbine front sight.  I'm toying with doing something similar to mine, and possibly ordering a nice wood stock for a small ring mauser--possibly Boyds, with the extra money for a forend cap (to make it not be a shitty sporter job on the original milspec stock).

Source:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?213173-Finish-sporterizing-a-spanish-mauser&p=2811737&viewfull=1#post2811737  
View Quote
Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Scout%20Rifle%20Project/Finished.jpg

Source:

I haven't got mine yet, but I will probably leave it stock.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I shot mine again today with the blue plastic ammo which is always fun and then through some steel cases silver bear .308 in it. Shot no problem.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked it up today.

Seems to be in good shape and no cracks in the stock that I can tell.

For $169 and free shipping, + $35 transfer fee, not bad.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I really want one, but I would be scared of commercial ammo through it. Is there any hard evidence .308 will KB these?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I really want one, but I would be scared of commercial ammo through it. Is there any hard evidence .308 will KB these?
View Quote

Not that I'm aware of. They aren't going to handle pressure as well as a more modern action, but they should be fine given reasonable loads (no crazy max-pressure stuff).
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
No, but I am sticking to 7.62x51.

I will probably put a box or less of ammo through it a year, I am not too worried about it.

Might try to take up hog hunting with it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#44]
It came with a sling and a muzzle cap too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but it doesn't prevent people from spreading such rumours (which they have for years).  Standard ball ammo, whether commercial or military spec, and similar hunting rounds (and of course, anything on the lighter side) should be just fine.  It's the ammo on the higher side of the pressure spectrum for the cartridge which should be avoided (especially those light magnum loads), although the effects would be cumulative; you're not going to get a kaboom barring some defect just with one or two rounds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, but it doesn't prevent people from spreading such rumours (which they have for years).  Standard ball ammo, whether commercial or military spec, and similar hunting rounds (and of course, anything on the lighter side) should be just fine.  It's the ammo on the higher side of the pressure spectrum for the cartridge which should be avoided (especially those light magnum loads), although the effects would be cumulative; you're not going to get a kaboom barring some defect just with one or two rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those same people like to bandy around the "7.62 CETME" thing, as if the bolt-actions were actually ever chambered in it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, I am a retard.

How do I rig this sling?

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#48]
AT least we didn't have to look at your naked toes in pic

This rifle is very underrated thanks to the stupid rumors about it not being strong enough for modern loads.

This is a plinking/hunting rifle. You aren't going to (or shouldn't!) be using it to drop big game 500 yards across the valley with heavy bullet max loads.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ok, I am a retard.

How do I rig this sling?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/IMG_0036_zpsdea01d4d.jpg
View Quote

search on how to use a sling on a mauser. Had to do that with my M48 yugo.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I have been reading a lot about ammo in these things.

View Quote

I guess the thing is, Samco has been selling these since the late 90s.

If
they are as dangerous as the internet makes them out to be, surely
Samco would have been sued out of existence by now if someone was
actually injured shooting one, given the legal climate in this country.

I will stick to 7.62x51 instead of .308, but I am not overly concerned about shooting one.

I won't be putting 1000s of rounds through it anyways. I have too many other firearms to play with.

My very first gun bought with "My Money" in the late 80s was one of these

with teenage enthusiasm I shot up a ton of white box Winchester and a mega shit ton of various commercial 308 ammo out of it with no problems

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top